Bojack Horseman Discussion - Final Season, Goodbye Sad Horse

Mod Edit: Re-purposing this thread into a general BoJack discussion thread for Season 5 and any other future Seasons too. - Blind Sniper

Bojack Horseman season 6 will be the final season and airs in two parts:

Bojack Horseman returns September 8th!

(Posted in 2017 for Season 4)

Netflix exclusive Bro-Jack Equine Dude returns for a long awaited 4th season on September 8th as confirmed by it's official Twitter Account.

enter image description here

To those that haven't seen it, the best way to describe it is: You know how once every season or 2 Futurama would get really heavy and emotional while still keeping its good sense of comedy? Bojack Horseman is like that almost EVERY EPISODE. While the series starts slow with episodes 1 - 6 being "eh." it really shifts tone after the first half of season 1. Now go watch it, cause I'm bout to start talking spoilers.

Season 4 is expected to have a somewhat political slant with Mr. PB's governor campaign set up last season, along with some really heavy cliffhangers elsewhere. I can't help but wonder how the character interactions will function now that the whole group dynamic has been shattered and Bojack's been alienated from everyone.

But regardless I'm looking forward to it even though I know it'll only hurt me in the end. Hype for the new season and thoughts on the series so far?

Tagged:

Comments

• Loved it so far! I actually found they have done Pop Funko figures for Bojack Horseman, never thought that would happen. Diane and Mr PB are also adorable together, even if Diane's not exactly treated him well at times. The stuff with Sarah towards the end of Series 3 was pretty heart breaking. Curious to see where things go in Series 4.

• Stoked for the next season! Its one of my all time favorite shows, and I'm ready to be emotional wrecked after how devastating season 3 was.

• edited August 2017

Just maybe not be as depressing and have existential crisis every episode

Loved the undersea episode with little seahorse

Just little bit of happiness and hope like that pls

Think show great idea and win lots awards if they lighten the tone every couple episodes

• edited August 2017

[removed]

• edited August 2017

[removed]

• The shows has actually already gotten tons of acclaim and has actually won and been nominated for a few awards so they should continue on their current path. I don't think lightening the the tone every couple of episodes would instantly get them nominated for more.

Markd4547 posted: »

Just maybe not be as depressing and have existential crisis every episode Loved the undersea episode with little seahorse Just little

• My opinion is different I think it will I think little hope is important keeps us rooting for character hoping they find happiness. Constant failure and misery makes me less excited to see what going happen in next episode

I found binge watching the seasons a very depressing experience even tho felt interesting.

Ending of season 3 was so powerful for me as gave us a little light among dark tone

It's brilliant show but 100% stand by what I said it's got potential to be better and more awards

Yes will.watch next season but hope less bleak

dojo32161 posted: »

The shows has actually already gotten tons of acclaim and has actually won and been nominated for a few awards so they should continue on th

• Glad to hear that. Recently binge watched all three seasons on Netflix.

• edited August 2017

I know, thread necromancy. Buuuuut an actual trailer dropped the other day.

Not gonna lie: I legit teared up a bit at the end.

• edited August 2017

First Wakfu on Netflix, and now Bojack, I just want the show to get good animation at least.

However I really doubt anyone is gonna appreciate this show here, where most closed minded lurk.

I legit teared up a bit at the end.

Because of the title appearing? Dude...

I know, thread necromancy. Buuuuut an actual trailer dropped the other day. Not gonna lie: I legit teared up a bit at the end.

• I'm really looking forward to this season, I think we're getting it a bit later than usual. Perhaps not the funniest show out there but it really is engaging. I love all the subtle animal stereotypes they throw around too.

Whenever it ends, however many more seasons it goes on for, I really hope for a happy ending.

• TheGovernor said:
    Whenever it ends, however many more seasons it goes on for, I really hope for a happy ending.

TheGovernor posted: »

I'm really looking forward to this season, I think we're getting it a bit later than usual. Perhaps not the funniest show out there but it r

• I'm really looking forward to seeing what direction they take this Season, especially given how brutal the ending to Season 3 was. The trailer seems to hint at more of a minimal focus on Bojack, but of course, that could just be marketing trying to mislead people or avoid spoiling what happens with him.

• Love the show

• Oh boy, can't wait for the new season of Depression and Animal Puns™.

Seriously though, great show.

• TheGovernor said: Whenever it ends, however many more seasons it goes on for, I really hope for a happy ending.

• Season 4 is now out on Netflix; I watched the first two episodes and it's off to a strong start already

• Checked the show out and it's okay.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
    edited September 2017

What episode did you get to? Most people tend to say the first 6 are the weakest.

Clord posted: »

Checked the show out and it's okay.

• Just finished binge watching the fourth Season, and I can easily say it's my favorite Season to date. A lot of the characters become really fleshed out and multi-dimensional, especially Bojack's mother. When more people finish watching the Season, I'm really interesting in seeing what others think about the episodes too. The second episode and eleventh episode in particular were... something else. :'(

• I'm in very early part of episode six.

I think the show is good. Kind of reminds me of Zootopia.

What episode did you get to? Most people tend to say the first 6 are the weakest.

• On Episode 8 now. Really liking this season.

• While I don't love this season as much as I love the previous seasons I still think it's the best TV Show at the moment. And I agree eps 2 and 11 are some of the best in the whole series.

Just finished binge watching the fourth Season, and I can easily say it's my favorite Season to date. A lot of the characters become really

• I finished the Season a short while back and I found this Season to be my favorite. The final few episodes of this Season are pretty interesting.

On Episode 8 now. Really liking this season.

• I watched the entire season in one day and now I have to wait gods know how long for the next season. Why do I do this to myself?

• I might be in the minority, but I don't recall anything too terribly weak about the first six episodes of Season 1 and I'm usually picky about the quality of shows that I watch too.

• I do not find them weak either. What I do think that maybe gives a bad first impression is that, at first, you do not sympathize with BoJack at all. He is absolutely awful, after all. But after a few episodes, you start to identify with him in certain ways (which feels awful btw, you DO NOT want to identify with someone like BoJack), and that makes the series much more interesting. At least that's how it went with me.

I might be in the minority, but I don't recall anything too terribly weak about the first six episodes of Season 1 and I'm usually picky about the quality of shows that I watch too.

• Because of the title appearing? Dude...

No. The cabin in Maine.

TheMPerson posted: »

First Wakfu on Netflix, and now Bojack, I just want the show to get good animation at least. However I really doubt anyone is gonna appre

• They're not weak per say, they're just.... average. The first 2 minutes of The Mysterious Mr. Enter's admirable animation installment on it really sums it up.

It's largely relative.
    In comparison to adult animation, it's average.
    For me personally, because I like dark humor, it was good.
    In comparison to the rest of the series.... the lack of emotional connection, since Bojack hasn't really been established as sympathizeable, since you have to get to know him first make them relatively weak.

Now going back to them certainly improves their quality. In 1 episode during a flashback a young Sarah Lynn in a 1-off comment mentions she wants to be an architect. At the time it was nothing, but seeing it again I legitimately had to pause the show and make a sustained, pained groan for about 30 seconds.

I might be in the minority, but I don't recall anything too terribly weak about the first six episodes of Season 1 and I'm usually picky about the quality of shows that I watch too.

• I haven't gotten to season 4 yet (rewatching the series for 3rd time, up to season 2), but it sounds like they've done it again.

For now I just came to say: if you do post in-depth about season 4, USE YO SPOILER TAGS BRAH!

Thank you, that is all.

• S'not as depressing as previous seasons, but hey at least every side-character now have to deal with their own late baggage... unlike Bojack who's semi improving...

Meanwhile Wakfu is pushing their PG 14 limit to the extreme.

• edited September 2017

I didn't really care for the whole Beatrice stuff, mostly just bored me. It explained why she was a bad mother and all that but sympathizing with her was always off the table.

• Season 5 premieres in a few hours!

• I finally got through all of the episodes. Ep 406 was a really notable standout episode in particular. What are your guys' thoughts on the Season?

(Please be courteous and use spoiler tags for the first several days)

• edited September 2018

Binged through it aswell. It was definetly not what I was expecting, but I really liked it. It wasn't so overwhelmingly dark as Season 2 or 3, but I think that's a good thing. I have the feeling they're slowly driving towards the finish line. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Especially with character-actress Margo Martindale.

The writing of this show just doesn't stop to impress me. It's on another level. The way they further develope characters, storylines, themes and how they incorporate certain events into these storylines solidifies it as one of, if not the best animated show currently running. If you've not watched this show, do yourself a favor and do it. It does take five or six episodes to find its footing, but from there on out it's just pure perfection all the way through to now its fifth season. It's funny, emotional, dark and little bit hopeful.

• edited September 2018

Was a bit hesitant to try it out at first. People had recommended it to me but I couldn't take a talking horse seriously. Anyway, I decided it to give it a shot since ive been feeling a bit down lately, finished season 1 a few days ago, pretty solid so far. Im really excited for season 2 because the way I see it, season 1 was kind of the introduction of the characters and the world (something like the first 3 seasons of south park, with t he next ones being my favorite ones since the characters were already established). I was surprised at how accurately the show depicts mental illness or however people wanna call it. Depression from my experience isn't about crying but like bojack, feeling empty and numb. Mr. Robot depicts mental illness and loneliness quite well too if anyone's interested.

• edited September 2018

Really enjoyed Season 5, I liked it a lot more than 4. However it felt kinda short, mostly because they did a few episodes that were kinda one off. For example I like the idea of the "Free Churro" episode but in retrospect it almost feels like a wasted episode. The Diane episode wasnt bad either, but there is no B story to it so it also feels like it took up a spot from furthering the story. The episode of the therapists at dinner describing wasnt my favorite either, just 2 nobody characters narrating. Again not bad at all, but just felt like it could have been a bit more.

Overall I enjoyed the season, but those 3 episodes I felt were a bit weak. Mostly Free Churro. I really do love the idea, but like I said it really feels like a wasted episode in retrospect.

• i liked it a lot. nowhere near my favorite season (that goes to 3 and 4) for some super big issues i personally had with it, but it was overall great. lots of highs although none of them reaching the highs of "Time's Arrow" from Season 4 and "Fish out of Water" from Season 3, but the highs definitely hit super hard. it felt super final too. i'm not saying i don't want more bojack but i think they should quit while they're 5 for 5, especially with how final this season felt. all the characters pretty much got a completed arc, and i think bojack shouldn't have a happy ending but a more open-ended one. this feels like an ending, and if it was an ending i think i'd be super fine with it.

my favorite episodes are "Free Churro" and "The Showstopper" by far, absolutely brilliant episodes with standout emotional moments. least favorite is "Planned Obsolesence". it was a joke episode yeah but the joke wasn't funny and was super uncomfortable. besides that, the plot hosting bojack and gina was just mean spirited and i REALLY don't like mr. peanutbutter's arc this season.

• Time for the two part final season of Bojack Horseman, sad to see it end.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.