The Wolf Among Us - What I want to see in season 2.

Since Telltale announced that they are going to work on season 2 of TWAU, I thought about making a video about what I personally would want them to consider adding into the game, now that it is relevant. I also got inspired by some other thread that I read earlier today. I worked super hard on this video, What do you guys think? :P

Note: I'm completely new to this whole forum thing, so if I have done something wrong towards the guidelines let me know, and I will remove this post immediately. #firstpost.

Comments

• edited August 2017

I already posted this in another Discussion, but I was trying to find another discussion where this would be more relevant. But im gonna add some more so heyyyy

More investigation sequences! (I really like the action ones too though). I am currently studying criminology in two different branches, so investigation in games/movies are truly entertaining, especially if done in a complex way. For example, types of bullet entrances and what they indicate, powder remains and what they point to, noticing details (Can intriguing objects be discarded as evidence because they show no signs of usage? Can a knife be discarded as evidence because it doesnt have trails/smells of blood -does it smell like bleach, indicating it had been washed? Can a suspect bathe and blow smoke on himself/use lots of perfume to hide something from Bigby's senses? etc), the possibility to connect evidence (like in Batman) and be able to do it even if you connect the dots wrong (and if you connect the evidence wrong then it has consequences).

Action sequences. While playing Bigby you get the chance to A-be nice or B-rough up. When I choose to rough up, I would also like to have the option to stop. Because, for example, in season 1 when you choose to B-Threaten Todd, it lets you either shake him up or hit him. Now, I would have liked to JUST intimidate him (slowly kneeling in front of him), but I didn't want to shake or punch him. It wouldn't be such a Black or White situation that way. I would have liked to Intimidate him (so Todd will be intimidated of Bigby even later on)(Todd would still have an attitude later on), and then gone back to simple questioning (so Todd now is like "you cant play good cop AND bad cop, Bigby!" or something) BUT its more realistic -in my opinion.
    Another example is when you are questioning Dee (or was it Dum?) and you grab the bottle. You get to either Smash his face, or Offer him some. I would have liked the option to Drink myself, or to just Intimidate him/Threaten him with it (placing the bottle on his head, leaning close, passive-aggressive sentence). This example applies to more of the scenarios presented in the game.
    Last example of this: When you are fighting forgot-his-name at the bar, where you get the option to Tear his arm off or Let him Be. Now, I would have liked to be able to Stop while tearing his arm off (therefore bruising it/slight dislocation) -or- get to kick him once more time before letting him be.

No Romance necessary. Me -and surely some others- don't like the idea of Needing the character to fall in love in someone. I get this is very common in most (if not all) hero stories, because it helps you connect with the character. Its not because I dislike Snow. I'm also not saying this because I don't want there to be love in this story at all (especially because its canon and all), but because I want the Choice to be with her or not. It is a game of choices after all, so here is what I propose:
    -Love ending: You and Snow are fully crushing on each other at the end, giving you that "just kiss already" vibes. She sees the Big Good Wolf.
    -Neutral ending: Snow gives Bigby shit from the beginning (according to what I have heard from the comics), and Bigby feels pushed away by her constant nagging and decides to stop being so flirtatiously Nice to her. They are just Partners, maybe friends, but no romance.
    -Lone wolf ending: You not only don't end up loving her, but you also sass her back. Snow seems hurt but not surprised (because she was being sassy first, then she tunes down the sass -but keeps getting shit-, so then she gets distant). Both are tense and dislike each other, although Bigby takes his usual cold-shoulder approach while Snow is more expressive in her dislike. She sees the Big Bad Wolf.

MORE ENDINGS. The thing we love about telltale games is that you can have more than one ending. What adds value to this company -and differentiates it from the rest- is this very thing (plus the art style of course). I tend to notice that writers/directors/producers like their game so much that they avoid adding "non-optimal" endings to the game because they love them too much to accept that players can have choices that figuratively give a f-you to the optimal storyline.
    Example:
    -Ending A: Good ending. You are the Big Good Wolf + You solve the case because you tied up most/all of the evidence. (you also get a trophy if you tie up all the evidence correctly). Maybe even get Snow's love (or not)
    -Ending B: Bad ending. You are the Big Bad Wolf + You solve the case because you tied up most/all the evidence. Snow is disappointed/hurt (or maybe just plain angry). People seem distant, fearful, and hateful.
    -Ending C: Neutral ending. You are the Big Wolf + You solve the case (...). You have done good and bad actions equally. People don't like you, but they admit you have done your job, therefore protecting them. They seem distant, respectful/accepting, fearful (but no hate).
    -Ending D : Good but Useless. You are good, but you suck as a detective. You couldn't connect most/all of the evidence, throwing your finger around and accusing people, getting the wrong leads and getting nowhere, heading to a wrong place while the Deal was going down somewhere else. Snow solves it. People see you as useless and weak.
    -Ending E: Bad and Useless. You are bad, and you also suck. You couldn't connect crap. Beating up people for nothing, threatening almost everyone that had nothing to do with it, getting people dead as a result of your actions (people attacking the supposed "killer", etc) . Snow solves it. People are Very afraid of you, they hate you, see you as a brainless animal. You get demoted of your Sheriff status. (Maybe you end up being a paid thug to pay for his food? don't know).
    -Ending F: Beast ending. Irrelevant if you solve the case or not. You keep on losing control throughout the game, becoming a full werewolf (or even wolf) wherever you go and things are easier, people spit information easy, however bad guys hide and are harder to catch (but oh boy you catch 'em). You keep de-attatching people's limbs, attacking people around, going full-beast at whoever crosses your way. This unlocks the options to growl instead of talking in almost every conversation. In the final scene of the game you lose control again and accidentally end up hurting innocent people even more. They end up sending you to The Farm (but you escape and decide to leave as a wolf in the forest, civilization turned out to bee too much for you).
    These are just some ideas though, would love if endings were also altered depending on who dies, etc.

Graphics. I rather have Telltale sticking to the same graphic format as the First game. I have peeked at the Guardians of the Galaxy one, and I really dislike that style. What makes Telltale unique is its art style. The moment you go full-3D, is the moment people will complain about the 3D being too unrealistic. People like the Telltale art because its unique, nice, and different. "Less is More" definitely applies here.

Characters! Don't be afraid to add more characters, even if they aren't important later on, even if they don't re-appear. The more characters there are, the more immersive the game is. A detective is surrounded by all the uncertainties of the world surrounding him. All these people: who are involved? who knows something? who is hiding something? who have a different agenda? You could use this, and expand this.
    You can add more things to the main story's Problem and make the plot much richer:
    -Maybe "The Farm" animals are plotting an escape, a riot, complaining about high Glamour prices. And other non-farm characters are backing them up. If you have their support, they might help you later on.
    -A group of people plotting against you, or against Snow (same thing), or against something unfair. They use symbols (scribbling them around), they might know some information about The Main Problem but can't say anything because, if they spoke up, they would be in trouble.
    -More of those "I just hate you Wolf, F you" characters. They may care about The Main Problem, but they wouldn't help you out if you paid them. Unmoving obstacles that challenge Bigby's patience.
    -More of those "Oh-hi Bigby" characters, like Beauty, or Pig. She didn't hate you, she wasn't fully relevant to the main story, she helped you out once or twice. The purpose of these characters would be to test Bigby's integrity. Would he lie for them? Would he cover for them (even if it meant going against snow)? How does he treat them? Is he kind -maybe too kind? Or does he give a cold shoulder? These characters COULD give you some small hints on how to connect evidence that you have already gotten (in case you didn't connect the dots right) -or- accidentally misguide your connections. (this last bit would depend on being Good -where they give it willingly-, or bad -you push them-, or beastly -you attack them-)

Hints, clues. Be able to look at inventory objects. Have a little notebook with collected evidence. In that notebook you would be able to look at your evidence, and write (or re-write!) down hypotheses. Your connected dots can change according to new evidence, or altogether. Bigby needs to be careful here, because he could still connect dots that look right -but arent. And no one will change those for him. Different Clues or Hints are given discreetly and not-so discreetly. Examples:
    -Descriptions of items collected in Inventory (these options only appear if you Choose to check these objects out): Their smell could indicate something, like "this spoon covered in blood smells just like this bar", "this box of matches is from his motel, look at the brand", "this package of cheap cigarettes is old (smell) but barely used. So it's from someone who smokes rarely or secretly", "this piece of fabric smells like bleach, bleach is used to clean blood", "The handwriting on this found note is from a Fable, I should check out people's handwritings and see who it matches", etc.
    -More clues to find, more evidence. Most objects have details, some useful, some not. This way you don't just "happen to stumble on all the right evidence". For example, when looking at a corpse, maybe you check out it's pockets and nothing there (or inside the mouth, ears, nose, etc; and still nothing). Or when looking around an apartment: you can check all drawers, behind most objects, check under objects, etc.

ALSO, something that I want to add here is:
    -I think it should be set prior to TWAU 1, because the consequences of the previous game could affect the current game (or not, not sure how they would play this out).
    -I read somewhere that Bigby dulls his senses with booze and cigarettes. So maybe he has to give them up in order to get extra clues. However, less booze and cigarettes make it harder for him to control his temper, so, in fight scenes or tense moments he would have to make an extra effort (like press "<-" to calm down sort of thing) in order to get that extra information. After a while (of successful calm-downs) it gets easier to control Bigby's temper.
    -Also, options to drink and smoke whenever you want.
    -Would be interesting to watch Bigby interact with a dog, im curious of what he would do against a guard dog growling at him

• edited August 2017

This is super late, but I completely agree with you. You made tons of points and they were all very strong and accurate. I was about to mention my favourite point but they were all really good. Keep it up. I'm sure that if Telltale consider adding some of those into season 2, it will be superb. Thanks for commenting, seriously!

I already posted this in another Discussion, but I was trying to find another discussion where this would be more relevant. But im gonna add

• Thanks man!

Marcu-S posted: »

This is super late, but I completely agree with you. You made tons of points and they were all very strong and accurate. I was about to ment

• I loved the art style and music even though I didn't know what it was called at the time, now im getting into synthwave and im praying that tt makes twau a synthwave fiesta of pinks, purples, black and synthesizers B)

And a arcade machine with playable 80s style minigame. Pretty plz tt ♥

• I really agree with that. The art style and music all together is fantastic and really fits well. I love how they set the mood, too. I also like the idea of having a playable 80's arcade, that would be awesome.

I loved the art style and music even though I didn't know what it was called at the time, now im getting into synthwave and im praying that

• Wolf Among Us season 1 was already 80's.
    It was set before the actual comics, plus, Georgie's phone matched the style used at the time.

Marcu-S posted: »

I really agree with that. The art style and music all together is fantastic and really fits well. I love how they set the mood, too. I also like the idea of having a playable 80's arcade, that would be awesome.

• What makes you think they didn't know it was 80s?

I was thinking since retrowave is a bigger thing now they should play on the style a little more.

Wolf Among Us season 1 was already 80's. It was set before the actual comics, plus, Georgie's phone matched the style used at the time.

• Who's 'they'?

What makes you think they didn't know it was 80s? I was thinking since retrowave is a bigger thing now they should play on the style a little more.

• edited September 2017

I'd love to hear a new, jacked-up version of this tune the next time Bigby "wolfs out."

• edited September 2017

I don't know if it makes sense -by the way new to this community- but please expand the options we have for a situation. For example, in the Episode 5 of the first season, we killed or left alive to suffer more Georgie and made our way to this factory. When I arrived there, seeked some another way to enter instead of crushing the front door. Placing a window opened or a broken wire to climb up to reach upper floors which is more risky, perhaps could include many fast clicking things or if you got a cut in your leg before and ignored this -perhaps forgot- you may fall down and make everything worse and if you are successful you'd not encounter with Bloody Mary, move through ventilation and jump at the head of Crooked.

And this brings me to next point. In my tiny experience of playing Telltale games, small decisions generally affect this scene and doesn't matter afterwards, while big decisions do not. In the next game, I wish unpredictable consequences of even tiny decisions. I mean screen blurs, two options appears in the left or right side with scary or worrying voice tones "You are the hero and this will change everything so stop and think!" In addition, you can sprinkle some important -at first glance not important- around conversations and urge us to twist our brains in every decision, in other words, make us afraid of choosing one decision without thinking its every possible result. As in my instance, someone stabbed your leg and it hurts, but player chooses to climb the wires without regarding his leg's condition. Instead of the character mumbles to himself: "I don't think I can do it." let him climb and fall down badly.

AND, the last one, why Bigby wears this cravat and shirt after he got sprayed with bullets by Tweedles, let our Sheriff earn some money. :3
    Snow's appearence is pretty good, I prefer her like this but she has more clothes than this outfit, yes? Perhaps the major characters can change suits a few times, three at maximum.

I know the first two are general suggestion for all Telltale games, but I expect them at TWAU2 particularly.

I absolutely agree with your thoughts, thank you for making this video Marcu-S and nice writing Bat, you are totally right at canceling actions! By the way, are developers reading these? Eh, I'm newbie around here. :)

• More Titty Bars!! Keeping the world as gritty as the first one would be key. I loved the fact that even though these are fairy tale characters...they have to live in the not so nice parts of New York...the Neon...just the look of the game. And please...a great new adventure!

• Exactly! I have similar thoughts to that. These are things that would make every Telltale game even better for sure. And it was lots of fun making the video.

• Yeah, I agree haha. In my opinion, the atmoshphere is probably the best thing about the game. I absolutely love the gritty, noir feeling of TWAU. Such a masterpiece.

More Titty Bars!! Keeping the world as gritty as the first one would be key. I loved the fact that even though these are fairy tale charac

• i would like to see a more brutal bigby without snow over his shoulder judging him the whole time but i also want them to have more romance at least one kiss is all i’m asking for maybe even a one night stand... they should make you choose between snow or narissa/faith also if you made choices similar to mine i want to see him team up with woody more since they are kinda friends now. also i want more scenes of bigby in full wolf form and i even wanna have a mission where you get to walk around and move around in full wolf form. i also want to see beast go into full beast form and have him fight bigby in full wolf form or have them fight along side woody i just feel like that team up would be epic and legendary and it would be disappointing if nothing even remotely close to that happens. also give bigby a badass costume change but that’s not needed. if you read this whole thing thank you 😂 tell me if you agree tho

Sign in to comment in this discussion.