October Horror Movies Discussion

edited October 2017 in General Chat

To celebrate the Halloween season, I thought I'd start a thread where you can discuss horror films whether it includes listing your favorites, listing your least favorites, or any potential upcoming ones that you're looking forward to. Go nuts.

Tagged:

Comments

• I recently saw Annabelle: The Creation and I'll be honest, it actually managed to scare me. But I'm a total sucker for the Halloween franchise.

• Annabelle Creation was a decent flick. And I hated the first Annabelle.

I recently saw Annabelle: The Creation and I'll be honest, it actually managed to scare me. But I'm a total sucker for the Halloween franchise.

• I don't really recall much form the first Annabelle except it was about the doll, but I feel like Creation really took the demonic entity of the doll and threw it at the audience, which I remember something that the first movie lacked. There's a difference between Horror and Thriller, I remember waiting for things to happen but not being too scared when they did with the first and Creation was a lot closer to horror than the first was, in my opinion.

ralo229 posted: »

Annabelle Creation was a decent flick. And I hated the first Annabelle.

• I'm a huge horror/thriller fan and I watch one every 2 weeks or so, though most of the new ones are crap.

What I like the most is atmosphere, ambience and good choice of music can scare you better than some idiotic monsters. Scenery and plot are also important, but there are some exceptions.

Good ones I can recommend:

• El Orfanato
    • Evidence
    • Dead Silent
    • Awakening (s? cant remember, the one with lil bran stark)
    • first Insidious
    • the Autopsy of Jane Doe
    • The Boy
    • 28 years later
    • Case 39
  • Nice to see someone mention The Boy. It got mixed reviews but I honestly loved it.

fallandir posted: »

I'm a huge horror/thriller fan and I watch one every 2 weeks or so, though most of the new ones are crap. What I like the most is atmosph

• edited October 2017

Usually every halloween or so for a few years I would do a short throwback marathon for classic horror flicks such as ,dawn of living dead, the thing, nightmare on elm street, halloween, friday 13th, dracula, werewolf in london and stuff along that line. But this time, I wanna try some creepy shows if any can make a sugguestion. I have heard thiings about penny dreadful.

• One that I think that is underrated (in my opinion) is don't breathe. They actually made a blind guy pretty threatening if you ask me.

• edited October 2017

Some of my favorites

Fade to Black (1980)

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch (1982)

Jaws (I count it, 1975)

Americans Psycho (2000)

Jeepers Creepers (2001)

It (1990, 2017)

The A Nightmare on Elm Street series

• I really liked it, though it was more or less similar to that new Zealand horror-comedy movie about a house arrest.

BroKenny posted: »

Nice to see someone mention The Boy. It got mixed reviews but I honestly loved it.

• edited October 2017

Occult-Horror Movies

Rosemaries Baby: The Original from Roman Polanski - **not ** the Mini-Series

The Omen: the Original from the 70s

The Exorcist: the first third of the movie is pretty slow - but in the end it's worth it.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose: Scary.

Found Footage

Paranormal Activity: The first one is really scary

The Blair Witch Project: The Horror-Movie of my childhood. Very creepy.

Slasher Movies

Scream: The first one is a masterpiece and a great homage to the 70s and 80s Slasher Movies. The first sequel is okay but the others are very weak.

Halloween: The first one is a classic. Halloween III and IV are also noteworthy. The rest of the sequels are mediocre to horrible.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Both the Original and the 2003 Remake are great

Horror-Thriller

Saw: I love the first one - the sequels are forgetable or worse.

Psycho: A Must-see movie. Psycho II is also pretty good.

Jacob's Ladder: A hidden gem

Vampire Movies

Fright Night: A campy Classic

Let the right one in: A masterpiece!

Near Dark: Maybe my favorite flick about vampires

Ghost-Movies/ Haunted House Movies

The Haunting: The Robert Wise one from the 60s.

The Sixth Sense: One of the best Ghost-Movies ever made.

A tale of two sisters: Very unsettling, creepy and clever psychological horrormovie from South Korea.

Insidious: I liked it much more than "The Conjouring", which I find pretty boring. But Insidios is quite clever and creepy.

Animal Horror:

Jaws: A masterpiece. The sequels are pure trash (at least 3 and 4).

The Birds: Hitchcock.

The night of the demon: A forgotten Classic from the 50s.

• Horror films... I too am a connoisseur of this variety, as I am of all cinema. I have seen the good and the bad.

So I like to express what I feel is the good:

John Carpenter's Halloween; Halloween II

Clive Barker's Hellraiser; Hellbound: Hellraiser II; Hellraiser: Hellseeker

Keep your Freddy and Jason flicks; I'm more of a Michael and Lead Cenobite fan myself.

I definitely want to see another John Carpenter film The Fog. The Thing is also a worthy one.

From Sam Raimi - Evil Dead II (sorry the first one was alright, but I like this one more); Army of Darkness (hey Bruce "Groovy" Campbell, was the first thing I ever saw him in; back in the early 2000s.) The remake was great as well, too bad it didn't warrant a follow up. Also, I'm getting into Ash VS the Evil Dead. Brother got me the first season for my birthday and wow, it was something. The series is going in my hall of fame.

When it comes to killer toys, most people think Chucky from Childs Play, but there is another variety to my tastes - Full Moon's Puppet Master. Despite it being B-movie, I found the concept...unique. Seen nearly everyone of them (even the bad ones), but I'm super eager to see the reboot film The Littlest Reich.

An under appreciated one: Pumpkinhead starring the awesome Lance Henriksen.

The Omen (1976) - this is DEFINITELY worthy of the title horror

The classic Alien (1979), Aliens (1986) if that counts.

Here's also some titles I have not seen but want to:

Wishmaster

The Changeling 1980

The Hidden (action horror) 1983

Candyman

The Gate 1987

The Wicker Man 1973

Mimic 1997

Fright Night

The Resurrected

Cronos (Guillermo del toro's first film)

Annabelle

Pan’s Labyrinth

The Orphanage

Trick r Treat

Krampus (Christmas horror)

Also from horror master John Carpenter: Prince of Darkness, In the Mouth of Madness

• I recommend "Lights Out" is one that contains manufactured jumpscares, however they work in a away... he was also created by the same director of "Dead Silence" AKA: James Wan.

I'm a huge horror/thriller fan and I watch one every 2 weeks or so, though most of the new ones are crap. What I like the most is atmosph

• My favorite horror films are definitely It Follows, Alien and John Carpenter's The Thing

• edited October 2017

Anthology Horror Movie Recommendations:

Tales From The Crypt (1972)
    Vault of Horror (1973)
    From Beyond The Grave (1973)
    Creepshow (1982)
    Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)
    Cat's Eye (1985)
    Creepshow 2 (1987)
    Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (1990)
    Body Bags (1993)

Special consideration:
    Dead of Night (1945) A classic that brought the genre to the mainstream. One particular tale is still commonly used.
    Trick 'R Treat (2007) Everyone has seen this one and yes, it's good.
    VHS 1-2 (2012-13) Heard they were good, but I can't stand found footage/shakey cam
    Asylum (1972) I had too many Amicus films on the list

• James Wan is superb, but I watched 'Lights Out' back when it came out and didn't particularly like it. This little short movie of the same title that Wan based his film on was way better.

I recommend "Lights Out" is one that contains manufactured jumpscares, however they work in a away... he was also created by the same director of "Dead Silence" AKA: James Wan.

• The new saw film: Jigsaw looks promiseing than the last film.

• True, I remember the short film... for sure the dark made me paranoid for a while.

James Wan is superb, but I watched 'Lights Out' back when it came out and didn't particularly like it. This little short movie of the same title that Wan based his film on was way better.

• Watching the Matte Cut version of Vault of Horror. 13min of cutting room footage from 1973. I bet it'll blend seamlessly.

• My favourite story is the guy whom fakes his own death. It's if a Tales From The Crypt episode was a Rube Goldberg machine. Just a series of coincidences that all lead to an end.

Johro posted: »

Watching the Matte Cut version of Vault of Horror. 13min of cutting room footage from 1973. I bet it'll blend seamlessly.

• Case 39 is literally the only horror movie I've ever watched. I was about 10 years old back then. Scared the shit out of me.

• Yeah, I first watched when I was about 13. The opening is quite terrifying, I also remember the scene with the green peas and a plastic fork than landed in someone's eye.

Case 39 is literally the only horror movie I've ever watched. I was about 10 years old back then. Scared the shit out of me.

• You can try American Horror Story, but let me just say it gets tedious sometimes. In fact I only enjoyed the second season of it, but I heard that 4th season (Freak Show) is good.

MasterStone posted: »

Usually every halloween or so for a few years I would do a short throwback marathon for classic horror flicks such as ,dawn of living dead,

• Watched the entire series. Liked 1-3 the most.

You can try American Horror Story, but let me just say it gets tedious sometimes. In fact I only enjoyed the second season of it, but I heard that 4th season (Freak Show) is good.

• edited October 2017

While the saw franchise decayed over time the first movie is still one of my favorite movies of all time. When a horror movie actually makes its main characters likeable and even grow a little bit by the end you know it did a good job. It also has my favorite horror theme eat your heart out Michael Myers "Hello Zepp" is the best. I'd say while not being as strong and maybe going a bit overboard with the gore (the first film is actually kindve light on the gore more implying it rather than showing it) Saw 2 and 3 are pretty solid as well with good twists and of course having Tobin Bell still actively in the films. I love that while his ideas and philosophy are absolutely insane Bell's performance is so good that you can tell Jigsaw 100% believes in his own shit.

• I’m thinking about going to see IT cos it looks good and I need inspiration for a similar horror movie trailer I am working on

• edited October 2017

Some of my favorite horror films (most of these I saw just this year):

• Saw 1-3
    • The Shining (1980)
    • The Thing (1982)
    • Scream 1
    • IT (2017)
    • REC 1
    • The Descent 1
    • Alien 1 (I like Aliens as well, but that's more action than horror)
    • It Follows
    • Lights Out
    • Don't Breathe
  • The Descent 1

Ah hell yea dude. That right there's an underrated masterpiece. You've got some good tas--

Lights Out

--YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE THEAUTISTICGAMER! YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BRING BALANCE TO THE FORCE NOT DESTROY IT!

Some of my favorite horror films (most of these I saw just this year): * Saw 1-3 * The Shining (1980) * The Thing (1982) * Scream 1

• Not a fan of Lights Out? :p

The Descent 1 Ah hell yea dude. That right there's an underrated masterpiece. You've got some good tas-- Lights Out --YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE THEAUTISTICGAMER! YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BRING BALANCE TO THE FORCE NOT DESTROY IT!

• Please tell me someone here has seen the Brendan Fraser 1999 Mummy...

Its. So. Dang. HILARIOUS.

• I hate it actually lol

Not a fan of Lights Out?

• I loved that film so much as a kid! So much better than the new reboot. I remember making the bracelet of Anubis from the Mummy Returns out of toilet paper tubes.

Please tell me someone here has seen the Brendan Fraser 1999 Mummy... Its. So. Dang. HILARIOUS.

• Just finished watching Creep, it's not the best horror film but fuck me it's creepy. I need to go brush my teeth but there's a long dark corridor between my room and the bathroom so fuck that.

Also watched The Similars the other day. It's all in Spanish so had to watch it with subtitles. Its not the scariest film but it's really weird and has a really good atmosphere. Worth a watch.

• "Think of my children!"

"You don't have any children."

"I might someday..."

I loved that film so much as a kid! So much better than the new reboot. I remember making the bracelet of Anubis from the Mummy Returns out of toilet paper tubes.

• Why exactly? I respect your opinion, I just wanna understand it.

I hate it actually lol

• It's boring, poorly written, badly paced, and a full length movie about a 20 minute idea, but I think worst of all it's just not scary. Would've worked better as a short film with better atmosphere. Oh wait, it DOES work better! You wanna know why? Because the 2016 film is based off of a 2013 short indie film that was way better and didn't drag out a limited concept!

Why exactly? I respect your opinion, I just wanna understand it.

• edited October 2017

I personally enjoyed Lights Out for what it was, but I agree that the short film is light years better. (No pun intended.)

It's boring, poorly written, badly paced, and a full length movie about a 20 minute idea, but I think worst of all it's just not scary. Woul

• Glad someone else has seen Creep. I used to make videos for clients and that film made me a lot more paranoid.

Just finished watching Creep, it's not the best horror film but fuck me it's creepy. I need to go brush my teeth but there's a long dark cor

• edited October 2017

I found Happy Death Day to be pretty enjoyable. Although that was less because it was an actual quality film and more because of how fucking ridiculous it was.

• Eh, fair enough. I didn't exactly LOVE the movie, but I thought it was enjoyable in it's own right. But I'll definitely agree it has problems, like:

• Lack of motivation for the antagonist, Diana.
    • Like you said, pacing.
    • The ending.

It's boring, poorly written, badly paced, and a full length movie about a 20 minute idea, but I think worst of all it's just not scary. Woul

• edited October 2017

Watching Tales From The Crypt (1972)
    For some reason, I'm on an anthology kick this year.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.