Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• [Try to talk Lord Mallister down] While it is not the smartest choice let's show another side of Kyra's character

RT:

• Wow,Damien "trust" his sister enough to give her the location of the meeting with the member of the Sons of Trident;however he expect that she should go alone and risk her life for her brother gamble
    • Welcome back Darren Stallhart! You are my favorite ironborn and the dialogue between him and Kyra was really funny
    • And welcome back to Lord Mallister too!It seems that be loyal to Harren really paid off!I'm sure that your kid is enjoy this situation
    • I'm curious to read if we will see the Lord of Pinkmaiden and the members of his family

Kyra Kyra narrowed her eyes and with a swift movement, catching him by surprise, she grabbed Damon at the collar of his vest, pulling him

• [Leave them be] No reason to interfere with Riverlander bureaucracy. If Mallister wants to send his only child to an early grave, so be it. Kyra would only get herself into trouble by meddling in the King's affairs, especially the ones that involve Harmund. Let Kyra focus her time on dealing with these Sons of the Trident, and maybe she might get a lead on Garthon eventually. I am glad that Durren's back! What a funny raider that one. I can't wait to see what he is going to be up to in this book, and hopefully we can get some more fun dialogue with him.

Kyra Kyra narrowed her eyes and with a swift movement, catching him by surprise, she grabbed Damon at the collar of his vest, pulling him

• edited October 2017

[Leave them be] oops replied the wrong person

Edinosaur23 posted: »

[Try to talk Lord Mallister down] This is more out of empathy for the poor girl. Because of his betrayal, Lord Mallister is now a pariah amo

• [Leave them be]

• [Leave them be]

• [Try to talk Lord Mallister down]

• This is more out of empathy for the poor girl. Because of his betrayal, Lord Mallister is now a pariah among the Riverlords, and I don't blame them. Offering his only child to a known rapist and murderer is a desperate and foolish move, one he should have seen coming.

Yeah, it is a desperate move, albeit actually not all that foolish. It's a bit of a gamble, but Arrec is probably hoping for Elaena to give birth to Harmund's son, meaning the future King of the Isles and Rivers would have Mallister blood in him. Such an action would pretty much be the only hope he can still have for his house to be vindicated after his betrayal. He pretty much underestimated just how furious the Riverlords would be over this and how close they are to actual open rebellion.

Tully, Frey, Piper, Bracken, Blackwood, Vance, Vypren, Paege, Goodbrook, Blanetree, Smallwood, Shawney, Roote, Ryger. They all have reasons to hate Ironborn, even those who once supported Hardhand against the Storm Kings.

Yes, they definitely have, some even more than others. It can be said, by now even those that once supported Hardhand are regretting the actions of their ancestors, even if most of those Riverlords had reasons of their own. Most of them never thought Hardhand would actually conquer the Riverlands, given how this goes against the true Ironborn way. They underestimated him and focussed on their petty rivalries, a mistake they likely won't repeat if given the chance.

[Try to talk Lord Mallister down] This is more out of empathy for the poor girl. Because of his betrayal, Lord Mallister is now a pariah amo

• Wow,Damien "trust" his sister enough to give her the location of the meeting with the member of the Sons of Trident;however he expect that she should go alone and risk her life for her brother gamble

Hm, he indeed trusts her completely. Thing is, he truly knows her the best. Neither you nor Kyra know how exactly she will decide there, but Damon arguably does. And he would indeed never put her into willing danger, though he knows what kind of threat she can overcome and what not. In the end, Damon has many plans and he is confident that he will win even when some of them fail.

Welcome back Darren Stallhart! You are my favorite ironborn and the dialogue between him and Kyra was really funny

Ah, I am glad to hear you like Durren! I wanted to show a side of his I haven't had much time to show, namely this affable, actually rather decent streak he has, joking around with Kyra, taking care of his men, being just genuinely jolly. He's not quite the monster from Sadie's nightmares, at least not all the time and for an Ironborn, he is one of the better examples.

And welcome back to Lord Mallister too!It seems that be loyal to Harren really paid off!I'm sure that your kid is enjoy this situation

There hasn't been anyone that lost more during the failed assassination attempt. He is now hated by his own people and the Ironborn don't think any better of him. Harren knows, he is a key ally, but that is as much fondness as he has for this man. Generally, he soiled the Mallister name, possibly beyond recovery and his only hope at regaining importance in the kingdom is to marry into the royal family, which means the Riverlords would have to respect him again. Right now, he has no allies and unlike House Hoare, nobody fears him either. It is this despair, as his situation sinks in, that causes him to even throw his own daughter under the bus.

I'm curious to read if we will see the Lord of Pinkmaiden and the members of his family

Yes, this I can confirm. Probably not all of them, but at least Mariya Piper, the mentioned eldest daughter of Lord Elmont Piper, is a submitted character and in the waiting list, which means she will make an appearance, same will apply to her father. An interesting character she is, I look forward to write her, even if it won't be all that soon.

[Try to talk Lord Mallister down] While it is not the smartest choice let's show another side of Kyra's character RT: * Wow,Damien "

• You are indeed correct, the Mad King had a part of starting the war, but I just can not find it in me to forgive Rhaegar and Lyanna. This "mistake" that they have done, was far too obvious to even risk it. So why did they even do this? Rhaegar was a married man, with his own wife and children, yet he annulled them just for Lyanna! How cruel must you be to delete your marriage from existence? Elia Martell loved Rhaegar and bore him two children, yet he cast here away just like that! That is heartless and irresponsible. And whatever plans he had for the Night King, it failed miserably. Great job there, asshole. Lyanna is not much better, she abandoned her family, knew what would happen, let her brother and father die for a lie, let the North die for her, put everyone at risk. And she knew that, but went with Rhaegar anyway. She is a disgrace to her house and family and did not deserve to live because of it. I get that she did not want to marry Robert because of his nature, but she must have seen the consequences of her actions.

All in all, I can not forgive them. They might be good people, but it does not change the fact that they have done terrible things, and I can go into detail about it but I just do not have the time right now, but I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

I doubt there would've been a war without the Mad King burning the Starks though, so it's not like Rhaegar and Lyanna are the only ones to b

• Well, I kind of agree with Rhaegar, particularly the part about him annulling the marriage with Elia. That is a plain dickmove and given how he was previously characterized, I consider it out-of-character with what Barristan told us about him. I can't help but consider this my one true criticism of Season 7, as they seemed to really shoehorn it that Jon is not only not Ned's son (which, to be fair, a significant number of fans have speculated on for many years), which is a twist I like, but also not a bastard and actually the rightful heir to the Iron Throne, which is a twist I consider forced, a way to paint Jon even more as the sole ultimate hero. But logic problems aside (like, finding a Septon than annuls a marriage for no reason and without informing the other side of this marriage about it, or Good Guy Rhaegar casting aside the children he already had and loved), given that it is canon, my opinion on Rhaegar has been tarnished heavily.

Lyanna though, I actually can forgive her. She was sixteen at the time and quite possibly pregnant already, meaning she really wasn't thinking straight, her hormones being twice as crazy as those of a normal teen. A young, foolish girl, unlike Rhaegar, who was in his twenties and praised for his intelligence. I also don't think she could have seen the consequences. By the time she left with him, nothing bad had happened yet, her father and brother were killed after that (which was a move not even Aerys' closest advisors had seen coming) and while she likely expected Robert to be pissed, he undeniably overreacted by starting a war, something I doubt she has seen coming either. So, I really don't think it's fair to blame a pregnant teen for her lack of foresight, especially when dealing with men as fickle and moody as Robert and Aerys. Their actions were so unpredictable that even the wise men they had around them failed to see them coming and things pretty much just escalated from there. And after Aerys killed the Starks and Robert started his war, she couldn't just return to him, given how he would have likely killed her or her child in a fit of rage if she ever tells him the truth. I really don't think she deserves to die for making the same mistake countless of girls have made, even if her mistake has caused a lot of bad.

Rhaegar though... I think he would have been a great king, make no mistake there, but this single surprising dickmove seriously tarnishes his character. Albeit I once read a theory that he actually did all of it precisely because of the prophecy he was obsessed with for all his life, that he somehow foresaw that only the union between Stark and Targaryen could bring forth the Prince who was Promised, the one to stop the White Walkers. After all, it was noted that he considered his son to be this Prince who was Promised and with all the hints about Jon, it seems he ultimately was right, in a way. If that was truly on his mind while courting Lyanna, then it wouldn't make abandoning Elia less of a dickmove, but it would make it a dickmove for the greater good, which at least would make it less selfish. I also doubt starting a civil war was on his mind when he ran away with Lyanna either. They never forced Aerys to kill Rickard and Brandon Stark, they never forced Robert to pick up arms and start a brutal civil war, they never forced Tywin Lannister to murder Elia and her children. Their actions, motivated by love, stupidity and possibly an obsession with some weird prophecy really shouldn't absolve the people actually in charge of the kingdom, the ones that actually committed all these crimes. If these people would have kept a cooler head, they could have worked together to uncover the truth. All Rhaegar and Lyanna did was running away, the rest is on the shoulders of Bobby B and the Mad King.

You are indeed correct, the Mad King had a part of starting the war, but I just can not find it in me to forgive Rhaegar and Lyanna. This "m

• [Leave them be] Ah, this is a hard one, even if I feel like it's mostly a character building choice. I doubt Kyra would actually be able to change Lord Mallister's mind, which is partly the reason I choose this. Other reason is that Kyra is already in a risky situation with her brother conspiring against the king (plus her having a secret affair with Harrick), we don't need any more reasons to make Harren suspicious of her.

Anyway, lot of interesting characters and interactions between them in this part. Gravven seems pretty decent for an Ironborn, it was great to see Durran again, and of course the Hoare interactions are always entertaining. What comes to Lord Mallister, well, as much as I feel sorry for his daughter, it's refreshing to see betrayal having negative consequences every now and then =)

• [Leave them be] Don't get involved, don't make enemies.

“Stallhart returned”, Gravven clarified, crushing whatever little hope Kyra had allowed herself to feel.

Yes, yes, yes.

Without his armour, Durren Stallhart looked almost ordinary, even if he kept the elegant sealskin cloak still.

Ordinarily great. Man I love this guy.

• [Leave them be]

As much as I pity the girl, there's not much Kyra can do from her position. Best not to get caught in the middle of Riverlander politics.

• edited October 2017

[Leave them be] Better not to get involved here, as much as I pity the girl there's really nothing Kyra can do to change her situation. I mean, there's no way that Mallister doesn't know what a degenerate Harmund is. If he only wanted to get a good match for his daughter he could've easily gone for Harrick instead, but no, he wanted more power regardless if he was dooming his only child or not. Besides, if she tries to reason with Mallister and afterwards he tells this to Hoare, things could get really bad for Kyra.

And man its so nice to see that Gravven is still as blunt as ever, even when he's being kind of "nice" he still says it as he sees it. There's no mincing words with that guy. :D

• [Leave them be]

• [Try to talk Lord Mallister down]

• Let Kyra focus her time on dealing with these Sons of the Trident, and maybe she might get a lead on Garthon eventually.

Oh, I can confirm that no matter what is picked here, the Sons of the Trident will remain Kyra's primary focus. She has received a lead by Damon, though obviously, this is something she has to check up once free of her duties for a bit, since she can't just go to Harren and tell him about it, given how this could cause the uncomfortable question just how she learned about the Sons' hideout. So, once she is free of her duties (likely in the evenings), she can go and check it out. If this particular Son of the Trident she wishes to deal with can give her any lead on Garthon will likely depend entirely on how she decides to deal with him.

I am glad that Durren's back! What a funny raider that one. I can't wait to see what he is going to be up to in this book, and hopefully we can get some more fun dialogue with him.

Yes, yes, it has been too long for him. I really look forward for more Durren in the future. One of my favourite minor characters in Book 1, due to being both, genuinely affable and a beast in combat. So, I hope to give him more of a role in Book 2, even if he still won't join the ranks of the main characters. But expect him to be a recurring character in Harrenhal from now on :)

Bounden posted: »

[Leave them be] No reason to interfere with Riverlander bureaucracy. If Mallister wants to send his only child to an early grave, so be it.

• Ah, this is a hard one, even if I feel like it's mostly a character building choice. I doubt Kyra would actually be able to change Lord Mallister's mind, which is partly the reason I choose this.

Well, you are right there, it is partially a character-building choice, where Kyra has to decide if she is taking a certain risk for a girl she doesn't even know, just because she feels pity for her. The ultimate decision lies with Harren and Arrec, even if Harmund and Harrick are likely to get a word in as well. And even Harren, despite arguing in favour of it in front of Harmund, has his doubts, given that marrying his firstborn son to the daughter of a house that has no choice but to be loyal is unlikely to be the best match he could get, as well as an extremely unpopular choice among the Ironborn, who would obviously look down upon a Hoare king with a Greenlander queen.

Anyway, lot of interesting characters and interactions between them in this part. Gravven seems pretty decent for an Ironborn, it was great to see Durran again, and of course the Hoare interactions are always entertaining. What comes to Lord Mallister, well, as much as I feel sorry for his daughter, it's refreshing to see betrayal having negative consequences every now and then =)

Ah, it was a joy to have these characters interact in this part. In particular, I was looking forward to show the consequences House Mallister has to face now. It is actually even worse for them than for House Frey three hundred years later. The Riverlords unanimously hate them, but they haven't gotten any power through their betrayal, as Walder Frey did. Arrec technically also had little choice, given that Seagard has the biggest Ironborn presence in the entire Riverlands, even more than Harrenhal itself, due to being the main harbour for the Iron Fleet. If anything would have happened to Harren, his city would have burned. Now, well, now he is in the bad situation that he has to get closer to a king that still couldn't care less about him, which is the main reason for this marriage proposal. He originally even considered offering Elaena to Harren himself, but considers Harmund the better option due to being younger.

[Leave them be] Ah, this is a hard one, even if I feel like it's mostly a character building choice. I doubt Kyra would actually be able to

• Btw, I'm curious, is Arrec Mallister named after the Storm King who lost the Riverlands, or is that just a coincidence? :D

Ah, this is a hard one, even if I feel like it's mostly a character building choice. I doubt Kyra would actually be able to change Lord Mall

• Not a coincidence, no, but something I deliberately thought of when naming him. He actually also has a brother, Harwyn, named after Hardhand. You can probably see how the Mallisters of this time, especially Arrec's father, have a reputation of being a group of butt-kissing sycophants :D

Btw, I'm curious, is Arrec Mallister named after the Storm King who lost the Riverlands, or is that just a coincidence?

• The Voting is closed!

Kyra is going to leave them be

Ultimately, this has been a very clear outcome, despite a number of votes going to the opposite one as well. I'd say, this is the better choice for Kyra, keeping her head low in the current situation in Harrenhal can't possibly be bad for her, albeit this I can say, there could have been legit arguments made for her to support Elaena here. Now, well, ironically her own intended husband-to-be might be her best chance at not having to marry into that family, as downright ridiculous it is that Harmund Hoare is anyone's best hope for something good ever. He'll argue against it, if out of entirely selfish reasons (is not wanting to be a borderline child rapist a selfish reason? I don't know, that sounds messed up, but the entire situation arguably is), that you can be sure of and he'll likely be able to put his father under pressure like no one else. Certainly not Kyra. It was also a character-building choice for her. Now, she won't just stop caring for the Mallister girls well-being, but will also value her own survival and standing at court a bit more, which ultimately might even put her into a better choice to ensure Elaena's safety. Pragmatism, eh? On a minor note, Gravven will be more happy with this outcome and having a pleased second-in-command is never a bad thing.

The next part is hopefully going to be out today. I know I am late again, sorry for that, I had a lot to take care of in the last few days, driving around and shit. However, I have been writing and technically should be able to finish the part today. Thing is, I will leave house right after finishing this very comment, heading to a little barbecue today. I won't be home until later and this means, I cannot promise if I finish it today. I just figured, it's fair to give you that update instead of leaving the voting open for a day longer without note. So, I have finished an Edrick PoV, but will also have room to include a second PoV, for Arthur specifically, which I wish to include in this part. So, last time we saw Edrick, he and his companion were brought to Faronhall, the seat of House Codd, an Ironborn house that has been granted lands in the Northern Riverlands. Of course, they were captives, so that wasn't a good thing. They met the Codd's present, specifically Viveka Codd, castellan of Faronhall in the absence of her uncle, who is currently in Harrenhal, as well as her cousin Sylvi. She presented herself as a strict, but reasonable captor, mainly interessted in how this occasion could benefit her house, stating her intention to ransom her mostly highborn party of prisoners back to their families. At last, she demanded to know Edrick's name and he decided not to be defiant and tell her. Meanwhile, Arthur is still coping with the loss of his father and the revelation that Sherryl gave him, a piece of information he considers more curse than anything else. Troubled by all this, he also received a promotion, something that prompted him to seek out the new blacksmith of Raylansfair, a certain Berrick Rivers. Berrick, a newcomer in Raylansfair, is supposed to fix Hackor's old armour, so that Arthur can carry it for his duties. He also turned out to be rather chatty, casually asking about the man that used to own this armour. Though having very mixed feelings about this, Arthur decided to tell him a bit about Hackor, which should make for an interesting scene at the least. As said, the part should be out today, or early tomorrow at latest :)

• Have to say I'm really disappointed that morality didn't win the vote here.

I enjoyed the part. Still salty about the whole Harrick thing, though and I wish Kyra was more loyal to her brother. So obviously I love Kyra but I can't help but disapprove of some of her choices.

• edited October 2017

Ah, I can understand that. Kyra is not perfect, she's making some choices that are more self-centered than others, such as this one, or her relationship with Harrick (as casual as she considers the whole thing to be), though at the same time, it can be argued that keeping in Harren's good graces is arguably a way to even better help Elaena, if the betrothal goes through after all. I mean, it won't exactly be on her mind, but might be a side effect and given the opportunity, won't be anything she's opposed to.

When it comes to Damon, Kyra is very much loyal to him. She helped him out earlier, has been involved in his plans before, but the thing is, she knows him very well and that is the problem. She knows that Damon is a dangerous man to be around, even though he cares for her. She would never betray him, though at the same time, she has a hard time betraying her sworn king, because she belongs to that part of Westeros that takes oaths and duty quite seriously. If forced to make a choice, I'd consider it out of character for her to turn on Damon at the current moment, if that's what you are concerned for, but betrayal of the king she is sworn to, a king that has treated her with more decency than most Ironborn, that is nothing she can do all that easily either. Things would obviously look much different with a King Harmund in power. But well, glad you still like Kyra despite your disapproval of some of her more recent choices. Be assured, I am pretty certain there will be other moments where you will be more inclined to agree with her decisions :)

AgentZ46 posted: »

Have to say I'm really disappointed that morality didn't win the vote here. I enjoyed the part. Still salty about the whole Harrick thing

• Edrick

“The name's Edrick”, Edrick growled, through clenched teeth and Viveka raised an eyebrow. “Edrick, well, well”, she spoke and he wasn't sure if she was mocking him or if she was showing genuine respect to her prisoner. Likely, as he knew, it was the former, for she had little reason to be impressed, or even just respectful. If he'd be unchained, he'd show her something to respect, preferably with his sword in hand. But as it was, he was at the mercy of an Ironborn, a fate he wouldn't wish for his worst enemy. Albeit, Leo would probably deserve it, that treacherous little shit...

He glared at Viveka, unflinching, even if he had to admit, for a woman she was genuinely intimidating. Just like he expected from an Ironborn woman, if he had to be honest. “A smart man knows when to answer a question”, she spoke. “Very good. Make no mistake, if you act cocky, I'll show you that my people very much earn their reputation, but as long as you behave, we can deal with this to everyone's favour”

She looked back at Edrick, narrowing her eyes at his remaining glare. “So, is it just Edrick?”, she asked and he shook his head. “Ser Edrick”, he replied and she smirked, now clear mockery on her face. “Another knight”, she chuckled. “Of which house then? One of the Umber giants? Or did I catch myself a Bolton perhaps?”

Edrick shook his head. “Just Edrick”, he snarled. “No house. I'm a hedge knight, coming from a poor family. You won't get much out of me” Instantly, Viveka's smirk faded. “A lowborn hedge knight”, she spoke. “And yet you lead these people? The Mormont, the Karstark? Interesting...” This time, she looked almost impressed.

“So, what's it going to be?”, Edrick asked directly. “You throw us into your dungeon until our families have paid? Executing those that won't be ransomed?” Viveka shook her head. “You're partially right with both, hedge knight”, she explained. “Those that are ransomed, well, they can leave once we have the coin, in a direction of their choice. I'll send word to your families later today, to inform them of my terms” Her wicked smile returned. “Those whose families refuse, we shall see. Your death is an option. Why should I keep worthless prisoners? Though I might make you my thralls if you prove your worth. A fate better than death, this I promise”

Edrick clenched his fists. “You know my family won't pay. They are poor folk”, he growled, to which Viveka shrugged. “Then try to impress me a bit more, hedge knight if you want to keep that head of yours”, she replied calmly. “Maybe I'll even let you go once you have worked enough”

At this, Edrick sent her a furious glare. “Bitch”, he growled beneath his breath and instantly, Viveka's expression changed. Her spear moved forwards, the tip cutting through the air, hitting the flesh of Edrick's cheek. It barely grazed him and he did not flinch, yet the message was clear, as a few drops of warm blood poured through the small cut, down his cheek and onto the steel of her weapon.

“Mind your tongue”, she warned him, with a hard, cold voice. “I am not your enemy and trust me, you don't want to make me. I told you we can deal with this in a comfortable way, but I won't be disrespected by the likes of you again” With this, she removed the spear from his cheek, smiling thinly. “You gave me a good first impression, hedge knight”, she told him. “Don't ruin it”

“What now?”, Dante asked from behind him, while Edrick only slowly realized how easily he could have died right there, if Viveka's temper would have been just slightly worse. Perhaps it was better to leave the talk to the Karstark knight. At least he knew what to say, when to be silent.

“Well, now you will be my guests”, Viveka spoke. “And I mean it. The last thing I want is for your families to be vengeful because one of you poor sods died in the dungeons. You'll get guest rooms, though you'll be locked into them. One by one, I will have a longer talk with you over the course of the day, to see how useful you can be to my family” Her glare hit Edrick again. “Do you see now, hedge knight?”, she added. “I can be reasonable if you are”

Still feeling the sting of pain where she cut him, Edrick only managed a glare, as Gawayne yanked him up to his feet. Viveka gave her guard a nod. “Bring them to the largest of our guest rooms”, she ordered. “Keep them together, but I want the door guarded at every time”

“Aye, Captain”, Gawayne replied and behind him, other soldiers followed his example. Two of them picked up Jorid, who was groaning slightly, still not fully conscious after Gawayne had kicked him. Dante accepted their lead, though with a serious frown on his face, albeit Darreth pretty much had to be forced to follow the order.

“Wait, what's with me?”, Leo asked and Edrick glanced at him, noticing that he stood there all by himself now. Just as he had wanted to. Viveka rolled her eyes. “I don't like snitches”, she admitted. “But I guess you did me a favour. You'll get a guest room of your own later on and we shall talk, in time. A bit of help might be in order”

“A bit?”, Leo asked and Viveka gave him a nod, completely nonchalant. “Don't test your luck”, she warned him. “I'll help you out, but don't expect a miracle” At his baffled face, she shrugged, a small moment that caused Edrick to grin briefly. “Hey, you sold your friends out for this”, she told him. “You decide if whatever help I can give you will be worth that, but if you're not happy, perhaps you should have used that head of yours” She glanced at Edrick, smirking coldly as he was brought out of sight.

The entire group was brought out of the Great Hall, with Viveka and her young cousin looking on. The keep itself wasn't all too big, so they weren't led for long, just up a set of stairs and through a hallway, with the courtyard of Faronhall visible through a large set of windows. It would have been a beautiful castle, if not for the people occupying it, though decades of Ironborn decadence had left it a shadow of how it likely used to be.

That being said, even Edrick had to admit he expected worse of the room they were given. It was large, probably worthy of a king on its own, even if it was still relatively small when occupied by six people. There was a bed, large enough for two, a set of chairs, even a window, albeit reinforced with iron bars. Comfortably furnished, it still did not change the fact that it was basically a prison cell.

The guards had the courtesy of putting Jorid onto the sole available bed, before Gawayne shrugged. “Well, you better behave, or she'll have you thrown into the real dungeons in no time”, he told them, a sneer on his face. Though Edrick successfully fought the urge, Darreth was not so calm. He almost jumped at the Ironborn and it took Dante to hold him back. “Listen up, you piece of shit!”, he spat. “You think you can mess with us?” He was furious, something that seemed to amuse Gawayne to no end. “You messed with the wrong people! Better let us go quickly, or we'll fucking end you!”

Gawayne raised an eyebrow. “Sure, if you say so”, he spoke, taking a step back, while Dante pushed Darreth into one of the chairs. With these words, the Ironborn turned around, leaving the room and locking the doors behind him, leaving Edrick and his company behind.

The hedge knight glanced around his companions. There was Jorid, lying on the bed, unconscious. Reymond was sitting on a chair, her fists clenched, a look of cold anger on her face. A similar one was found in Alphyn's expression, as he leant against the wall next to the window, arms crossed, his glance moving to the empty place where his scabbard used to be.

“You got to calm down”, Dante hissed and Darreth looked up, almost glaring at his friend, even if he certainly wasn't the object of his rage. “Easy to say, brother, but we're fucked”, Darreth muttered, before glancing at Edrick. “Well, maybe not all of us, but he is, same goes for Jorid. Your father will pay for you and me, Lord Lionel will pay for Alphyn and I bet Worland Mormont will pay for Rhea, but what about the rest?”

Reymond looked up, raising an eyebrow. “I see you never met my father”, she mumbled. “Doubt I can count on his support. Nor would I want it, after all that's been between me and him” She was going to say something else, though a knock on the door caused her to frown, glaring at it, as the sound of a key being turned was heard.

Surprised by the quick disturbance, Edrick turned to the door and his surprise only grew when he saw the young Codd girl standing in the doorframe. Two guards were seen behind her, though he had the feeling that she wouldn't have shown fear even if left on her own. She had a bucket of water in her one hand, a small bundle in the other.

A slightly hesitating smile formed on her face, though it was surprisingly genuine. “Uh, hello again”, she said sweetly. “Sorry I have to disturb you so quickly, but I think that shouldn't wait” She raised the bucket, looking at Edrick, before noticing the glares she received from Darreth and Alphyn. “And... well, sorry for that whole situation. It's not my call, I hope you know that”

“What do you want?”, Dante asked, his voice polite, but distant. The girl smiled at him. “Oh, name's Sylvi, by the way”, she introduced herself. “Sylvi Codd. I... well, Viveka sent me here, but I probably would have come here on my own as well” She looked back at Edrick. “It's about that cut on your cheek”

Edrick narrowed his eyes, focussing on the thumping pain that flashed through the side of his head. “What about it?”, he growled and Sylvi gulped. “It has to be cleaned”, she said. “Quickly so. Not because you're valuable hostages, as Viv says, but because neither here wants you to get an infection” She put the bucket onto the ground. “So, I brought water, linen, alcohol...”

“Yeah, you can leave that last one before you sod off”, Alphyn growled and Sylvi rolled her eyes. “I'm just trying to help, okay”, she spoke, to which Edrick crossed his arms. “Your cousin cut me, now she wants to clean it up again?”, he asked and she instantly gave him a nod. “Just because she cut you doesn't mean she wants you dead”, she replied. “And to be fair, you insulted her” Begrudgingly, Edrick had to admit that she had a point, even if he remained silent about this.

“Look, I don't like this, neither do you, I know. Told you, not my call”, she continued. “So, the way I see this is, you can be stubborn now. I just want to help, but hey, I won't force you. Say the word, I'll take this with me again and you can try finding another one who cares. Good luck with that, Ser” She tilted her head. “Or you let me clean your cut before it turns into something nasty. Swallow your pride and well, maybe we can prevent the worst. We don't have to be enemies”

“Your people kinda started it”, Darreth growled from the side and she sighed. “My people this, my people that... Trust me, I get to hear such things a lot”, she said, the hint of frustration in her otherwise kind voice. “But I didn't start anything, did I? Neither did Viv, to be fair, she's just using the situation she has been presented with and well... I don't blame her for that. Her hound captured you after your friend betrayed you. Those two are the ones you should be angry at” She looked back at Edrick, a reassuring smile on her face. “Maybe I can prove to you, we're not all bad people here”, she spoke. “So, what do you say? Shall I help you with that cut?”

[Let her treat your cut] [Send her away]

Arthur

With a sigh, Arthur let the chestplate fall back into the crate. “It belonged to a hero”, he said. “A protector of this city” There it was, the familiar pain he felt whenever talking about Hackor, an ever growing bitterness and just starting to cut this topic meant he found it damn near impossible to remain silent about it. “A man that valued his city more than anything else. The people, they looked at him and all they saw was the armour, a symbol of his values, his morals, so different from the man he truly was”

Berrick gave him a nod, clearly noticing the crushed look on his face. “It sounds like a lonely man”, he spoke and Arthur focussed on the dented armour in front of him. “My father”, he said. “We... had our differences, to be honest. He hurt me, but worse, he hurt my sister, not with words, not with deeds, but with a lack of them”

“Aye, I know these”, Berrick spoke, his tone sympathetic now. “Had one of them myself” Glad to quickly move on from the topic of his own father, if just for a moment, Arthur gave Berrick a curious look. “How was he?”, he asked and now, Berrick frowned. “Distant”, he said. “See, my father was one of the high lords of Westeros. Osmund of House Strong, oh so noble Riverlord”

“You're a lordly bastard?”, Arthur asked, raising an eyebrow and Berrick sighed. “Ain't much lordly about me, but the name of my father”, he said. “And he hasn't been much of a father. Got a fisher's woman pregnant and when I was born nine months later, he sent her a single small bag of gold and that was it” He shrugged. “A real close bond between father and son”, he mumbled. “Whoreson didn't even show up when my mother was dying”

“My father let my mother die”, Arthur revealed and briefly, a sardonic smile found its way onto Berrick's face. “Are we in a competition now?”, he asked. “Father problems? 'Cause I got quite some stories to tell” Though the underlying sorrow was still there, his approach of dealing with it was surprising and Arthur found himself drawn to this outlook. Instead of denying it, or refusing to deal with it, something that has always defined Hackor's behaviour, this blacksmith faced his grief and bitterness with acceptance, perhaps even with defiant joy and no matter how superficial it must have started out as, by now he had made it a pretty convincing expression. Despite everything, Arthur managed a slight smile.

“Didn't really want to turn this into a competition”, he spoke. “Seems like there won't be any victors there. Only way we can win is if we become better than they have ever been” Berrick nodded, a quick smile on his face. “It's the one thing I'm afraid of, you know”, he spoke. “That I'll make a terrible father as well one day. Didn't have the best role model, I mean, I saw the man three times my entire life. He focussed on his trueborn sons, barely acknowledging me at all. When I left, I doubt he even noticed”

“Had the same thought with my father”, Arthur replied. “And in the end, I wasn't even on his mind when he died” He sighed, as a defiant look appeared in his gaze, as he looked at the armour, the sole thing that was left of his father. “Fuck him. I won't wear this armour for him, nor for what he stood for. I'll make it my own. I don't need to follow his footsteps, fated to stay a lesser man”

“Now, that's a word!”, Berrick spoke. “And I'll do my part for that, captain. Don't worry, before long this will look brand new. You want me to paint it as well? Different colour, maybe?” Arthur thought about this, before shaking his head. “My father chose the green because it stood for Raylansfair. Our differences we may had, but that is one thing I'd always agree on with him”, he replied.

“With Lord Vyrwel in the city, black and red seems to become more common”, the blacksmith argued and Arthur frowned. “I won't wear his colours”, he clarified. “I guard the city and its people, not just Lord Vyrwel” What he did not say, of course, was what he had learned from Sherryl, the true reason he would never wear Petyr Vyrwel's colours.

“Brave words”, Berrick admitted. “Fine by me. It'll stay green and I shall take care of necessary repairs” His fingers moved over the chestplate. “That'll take me a couple weeks though. A fortnight at least, maybe longer if there's more broken than meets the eye. Shall I send word to the guard headquarters once I'm done?”

Arthur shook his head. “The Nathamer estate”, he replied. “Deliver it straight there. This deal is between you and me, not the city guard” To this, Berrick saluted, if slightly on the lazy side. “As you wish, Ser!”, he proclaimed. “I'll let you know once I got an overview of the damage done” He sighed as he looked at the finely crafted armour, particularly the clearly visible damage at the chest and the side. “Oh, this is going to be quite some task, but I can do this”

“Thank you”, Arthur said, extending his hand and Berrick shook it. “Ah, don't mention it”, he said. “I'm just doing my job and well, I appreciate yours” He gave him a smile. “Good talk, Captain Nathamer” Arthur felt a shiver down his spine at this title, still so unusual to him. “I prefer to go by Arthur”, he said and Berrick gave him a nod. “Arthur it is then”, he confirmed, as he reached for the box containing the armour. “Have a good day then” He lifted it up, effortlessly despite his comparably ordinary frame and turned around to carry it into his workroom.

With all said, Arthur stepped out of the blacksmith's workshop, oddly relieved at having spoken about Hackor for once. Of course, he and Aditha had spoken about what had happened before, but his sister was hardly one he wanted to talk to about their father. She had been hit hard, crying at the mere mention of his name.

His sister had distanced herself, from him, from everything. The behaviour that had already worried him back when their father had still been alive, it had grown worse. She was gone for whole nights, spending it somewhere, with someone, getting herself wasted, perhaps in an effort to make the pain go away. It wasn't for attention anymore, or perhaps that's what Arthur wanted to think. With Hackor dead, he had hoped she'd get better again. She didn't and in a way, he couldn't help but feel this was his fault.

Of course, as he looked into the sky, already showing signs of an early sunset, Arthur felt uneasiness not only because of what she could do to herself. After Wolfius had gotten away two months ago, he knew the night was something to fear. And if what little Rosalie Mettel had been willing to say was true, if he correctly interpreted what she had tried to tell him between feared sobs, then this whole situation was worse than anything he had ever dealt with. And though Woodbark hadn't been seen in the past two months, Arthur had no illusions that he was still around, just waiting, recovering and planning his next move.

Perhaps that was Arthur's task. Hackor would have done so, he would have poured himself into this case, would have worked on it day and night, until finding this man and making sure that he wouldn't be a danger to the city of Raylansfair ever again. It concerned Arthur that his first impulse was to do the same thing he had always criticized his father for.

If he'd do this, then Ryler would be a lead. He was the only one still actively working on this, after Commander Daemion had declared the investigation to be on hold a fortnight ago. Of course, it was not as if the young man was making any progress of his own either. Last thing he had heard was that Valarr had brought him to Mathea's clinic this morning, after finding him with a leg wound. Might just be something worth checking out.

At the same time, the though of Aditha sent a sting of guilt through Arthur's spine. She was at the tavern right now and whatever she was trying to achieve with her behaviour, it wasn't healthy. Hackor had tried to ignore it, hoping she'd stop but she never did. Was Arthur truly any better than his good-for-nothing father if he'd do the same? Was this case, this hunt for Wolfius worth neglecting the remnants of his family? With a heavy heart, he looked down at his clenched fists, knowing he had to make a decision.

[Go and look for Aditha] [Seek out Ryler]

• [Send her away] No sympathy for the devil here.

[Seek out Ryler]

Was this case, this hunt for Wolfius worth neglecting the remnants of his family?

Yes. We got find 'em.

At this, Edrick sent her a furious glare. “Bitch”, he growled beneath his breath and instantly, Viveka's expression changed. Her spear moved forwards, the tip cutting through the air, hitting the flesh of Edrick's cheek. It barely grazed him and he did not flinch, yet the message was clear, as a few drops of warm blood poured through the small cut, down his cheek and onto the steel of her weapon.

I don't like this lady.

“With Lord Vyrwel in the city, black and red seems to become more common”

Very ironic statement. Very ironic.

You know'd be cool? If Arthur just decided to go swimming, forever. Just take a long swim. And then, get this, Wolfius wargs into a freaking shark and CHOMP! He bites 'em. Then we get Jaws in Westeros, complete with a wildfire keg and a flaming arrow.

Come on now, that would be awesome, wouldn't it?

Edrick “The name's Edrick”, Edrick growled, through clenched teeth and Viveka raised an eyebrow. “Edrick, well, well”, she spoke and he w

• [Let her treat your cut] She's 100% right, she's done nothing to antagonize them and they could use a friend.

These two Ironborn lasses are very quickly growing on me. Particularly Vivika. I just find her really cool and interesting. Can't wait to see where the story goes with her.

[Go and look for Aditha] Duty can wait, family comes first. Aditha needs Arthur right now and I think it's important for his development that he do the opposite of what his father would do, lest he become him. It could also be important for Aditha's health.

Edrick “The name's Edrick”, Edrick growled, through clenched teeth and Viveka raised an eyebrow. “Edrick, well, well”, she spoke and he w

• edited October 2017

[Let her treat your cut]

[Seek out Ryler]

• [Let her treat your cut] That Edylvi ship is going to need some sails.

[Go and look for Aditha] Let's not be Hackor.

• [Let her treat your cut] Edrick is acting pretty dickish lately, and while I can understand why he is upset it doesn't mean I like him antagonizing his captors. Might as well try to play it safe. That and I don't want Edrick having his face all fucked up due to not taking care of his wounds.

[Seek out Ryler] Arthur is totally going to become his father. Like they say, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. Plus Arthur needs to go rescue Ryler from the Spynx's interrogation. We don't want him catching onto Ryler's super strength and secret backstory because then Arthur and Ryler will have to deal with all the Solvers on their lonesome. At least until Arthur and Ryler are knitted into Leonard's secret taskforce to save Raylainsfair. Plus I am sure Aditha will be fine. It's not like she has a history of endangering herself and being easily influenced by the darker parts of Raylainsfair. Surely Illish is going to come around and give some good advice to all the happy visitors of tavern. Because everyone in the tavern is always in such a happy mood. I'm glad Arthur isn't going Black and Red anytime soon. It would totally clash with that brown hair of his. That Berrick guy was pretty chill actually. Now we know that the future hand of the king has a bastard son. Arthur also has a buddy who he can relate in his daddy issues with.

• [Let her treat your cut][Go and look for Aditha] here is hoping that arthur does better than his father

• You know'd be cool? If Arthur just decided to go swimming, forever. Just take a long swim. And then, get this, Wolfius wargs into a freaking shark and CHOMP! He bites 'em. Then we get Jaws in Westeros, complete with a wildfire keg and a flaming arrow.

Come on now, that would be awesome, wouldn't it?

Huh, that would be... unlikely, yet undeniably awesome. Rule of Cool in full effect, I find it amazing how I am not opposed to that idea, even if I doubt it'll happen :D Keep in mind, if Wolfius ever decides to warg into a shark, they'd need a shark hunter for that, so yeah. But I can see it right before me, yes. The biggest problem, I suppose, would be for Wolfius to follow Arthur far enough to find a shark to warg into. Those don't live in the sea between Raylansfair and the Shield Islands, so I'd even say it is more likely he just drowns before encountering anything more dangerous than a pike.

[Send her away] No sympathy for the devil here. [Seek out Ryler] Was this case, this hunt for Wolfius worth neglecting the remnants

• These two Ironborn lasses are very quickly growing on me. Particularly Vivika. I just find her really cool and interesting. Can't wait to see where the story goes with her.

Glad to hear it :) Always a pleasure to hear that new characters are received fondly, particularly if they might not be classically likeable, such as Viveka. There is a lot in store for both of the Codd's in the events to come and I have just gotten started with fleshing them out.

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Let her treat your cut] She's 100% right, she's done nothing to antagonize them and they could use a friend. These two Ironborn lasses a

• Edrick is acting pretty dickish lately, and while I can understand why he is upset it doesn't mean I like him antagonizing his captors.

Well, he is indeed a bit dickish, but that's Edrick. This is the first time someone seriously antagonizes him in the story, that's how he reacts to those. He is beyond angry at Leo, pissed at Gawayne and not having any of Viveka's words, knowing fully well it likely ends with him being made a thrall. So, he is really salty about that whole situation, which also means he goes off at people such as Sylvi, who really haven't done anything bad so far.

Arthur is totally going to become his father. Like they say, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

It's ironic that Hackor's greatest criticism about Arthur has always been that they aren't alike, that Arthur is too soft, does not care about his duties enough and the likes and only after his death does Arthur start to act like his father. If Hackor could see him now, I would be really curious if he'd be proud of him, or still disappointed.

Plus I am sure Aditha will be fine. It's not like she has a history of endangering herself and being easily influenced by the darker parts of Raylainsfair. Surely Illish is going to come around and give some good advice to all the happy visitors of tavern. Because everyone in the tavern is always in such a happy mood.

One thing I can confirm is, Ilish's storyline won't start until the next chapter. Had to do this to make this one a bit less bloated than it otherwise would have been, also for reasons beyond that, which I can't say until later. So, yeah, she won't be one for good advice for Aditha. Never has been, given that she similarly has a history of endangering herself and being easily influenced by the darker parts of Raylansfair. If Aditha is left alone, she will deal with things on her own, for the better or worse.

Bounden posted: »

[Let her treat your cut] Edrick is acting pretty dickish lately, and while I can understand why he is upset it doesn't mean I like him antag

• [Let her treat your cut]

[Seek out Ryler]

Arthur is slowly turning into Hackor, I love it.

• edited October 2017

[Let her treat your cut] Its better if he just swallows his pride and lets her treat him, besides, we don't want Edrick to get weakened because of an infection.

You know, I had the impression on the previous chapter that Viveka had some respect for Reymond's father, and her by extension.

[Go and look for Aditha] While I don't think she's in danger right now, the siblings need to be together, after all they're all the family each other has left. Ryler is possibly ok for now.

[Seek out Ryler]

• You know, I had the impression on the previous chapter that Viveka had some respect for Reymond's father, and her by extension.

Ah, this is quite true. Viveka has respect for Reymond, due to both being women and warriors and particularly for her father. Worland Mormont is a bit of a legend among Ironborn, due to being a particularly stubborn and strong opponent, one of the few Greenlander lords whom Ironborn consider a worthy opponent. In fact, no raid on Bear Island has ever truly succeeded under his rule and Viveka is having quite a high opinion on House Mormont as a whole in return, just like most Ironborn have. This however does not mean she will treat her much differently than the other prisoners. Quite the contrary, she sees Reymond as strong, probably the strongest of her prisoners, and therefore not in the need of any special treatment.

[Let her treat your cut] Its better if he just swallows his pride and lets her treat him, besides, we don't want Edrick to get weakened beca

• [Let her treat your cut] No reason to be too proud or stubborn here, I literally see zero benefits in sending Sylvi away. And speaking of Sylvi, she and her sister seem like really interesting characters, they keep growing on me with each part. Anyway, the last part I still thought this detour to Faronhall would be just a short stop for the Northern crew before they continue their mission, but now I'm starting to think we might spend quite a lot of time here. Which is not a bad thing necessarily, the Codd's are definitely an interesting family to explore deeper.

[Seek out Ryler] Honestly I'm fine with either choice, so I'll go with meta reasoning with my choice: I feel like taking on this mission might make Arthur's storyline less stagnant. Don't get me wrong, another scene between Arthur and Aditha would no doubt be great, but seeking out Ryler would feel more like moving forward in the plot. Anyway, I really liked the conversation between Arthur and Berrick! I was a bit unsure last time what to make of this guy, but he seems like a decent fella =)

[Go and look for Aditha]

[Go and look for Aditha]

RT:

• Good luck for Edrick and co.! They have a guest room as a prison room! (And Jorid obviously decide to monopolize the bed!)
    • I'm still curious to see what the Codd plans for the people that can't or won't pay the ramsom
    • I really like this Arthur PoV and I'm surprised to see that the conversation with Arthur make the new blacksmith seems a good guy that is nice to read about
    • I want to ask something outside the part for a change:do you plan to start Ilish and Maya PoV's in this chapter?(I don't ask about Janae since you already said to wait at least the next chapter for her)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.