Theory: GOT Season 2 On Hold Cause Its Too Much Work?

2»

Comments

• edited October 2017

What?!? Lord Forrester kept his bastard children a secret for a reason! It would be incredibly unimaginative and disappointing if the purpose of the North Grove is as simplistic as you imply...

The truth is, we don't know why the North Grove is so important....it is clearly a source of power that could play a role in the war with the White Walkers. And if the Whitehills destroy the Ironwood forests (as it is suggested they would in S1), then the North Grove could be a source of Ironwood replenishment which would save the livelihoods of the Forresters.

The whole point of Gared's quest was to find the North Grove and protect it....I bet that even if the player elects to return to Ironrath, circumstances will lead them back there somehow (the White Walker army or the Night's Watch could block them from getting South, for example). And how would Elsera keep control of her wildling army if they move south? Wasn't the North Grove giving her the power?

If you read between the lines you will know that the North Grove was important to Lord Forrester because it has his two of his bastard child

• He kept them a secret because it would have destroyed his reputation and lineage... It was only when he knew he would die (and thought Rodrik, his trueborn heir, was dead) that he told Gared that the North Grove must never be lost. So yeah, he exiled them North to this Ironwood grove so he wouldn't be discovered. But now it's going to work in the Forresters favor, at least if you decided to march to Ironrath.

To be completely honest, nothing we saw from the North Grove suggests it could even stand a chance against the walker threat. The bastards are stretched thin and constantly bombarded by walker attacks even before Gared gets there, and they say the attacks are getting worse and more frequent. Staying at the North Grove is suicide. Only Elsera wants to believe the grove is special, because she doesn't want to admit that they were only sent North out of their fathers shame.

On the contrary, although we were led all season to believe that the North Grove was the thing that couldn't be lost, I believe that the true message he gave Gared is the bastards can never be lost. Gregor simply wasn't going to spill his secrets to Gared in that brief instance, that phrasing was just the vaguest way to get him to do his bidding.

Additionally, I think that it will be opposite where even if you stay North you will be forced to go south. There is simply no way the writing could justify heading back North when Gared and Jolsera only care about defending Ironrath. Like i said the walker attacks are getting worse, there is no way they can hold out there forever let alone make a difference in the Long Winter.

Pahn711 posted: »

What?!? Lord Forrester kept his bastard children a secret for a reason! It would be incredibly unimaginative and disappointing if the purpos

• edited October 2017

So despite the fact that Gregor has three other legitimate male heirs (Asher, Ethan and Ryon), he is willing to tarnish his legacy and good name by asking his squire to save his bastard children, but he makes this request without actually mentioning them by name? Wow....thats really reading between the lines!

Remember that no White Walkers are actually seen during the attack on the North Grove in episode 6....why do you think that is? My theory is that it is similar to the cave of the three-eyed raven on the tv show....there is a power keeping them from entering. They won't need to face the entire walker army in that case. To quote Elsera, the North Grove is a "refuge against the forces of darkness during the long night." I prefer to read into what they ACTUALLY say instead of what they don't say...

Again, we don't know what the source of this power in the North Grove is....but we have seen it! It's not speculation at this point. And I ask again: if Elsera uses the North Grove to control her wildling warriors, what happens when they leave for the south? I think its a very important question that burns a hole in your theory...

When Gared is confronted with the choice between staying or marching south, the player already knows that Ironrath has fallen....so I don't understand why so many players could possibly think leaving is the right choice. I guess they want a swift resolution to the Whitehill conflict, but there is such thing as "playing a long game", especially in GoT.

He kept them a secret because it would have destroyed his reputation and lineage... It was only when he knew he would die (and thought Rodri

• Asher is exiled across the sea. Ethan and Ryon are literally children. House Forrester was at war, so yeah on his deathbed Gregor made a decision to send for his bastards despite the consequences to his legacy.

Sure, I meant wights not the White walkers specifically. My point still stands though, they were barely able to defend the grove and what they've experienced so far is nothing compared to what will happen when the whole army of the dead marches South.

Sorry i forgot to address that specific question. The answer is that while the magic of the North certainly helps Elsera's blood magic, it isn't essential as blood sacrifices have been performed very far south. Elsera will have slightly less power the farther South she goes but she will still have bloodmagic.

Leaving for Ironrath means that the bastards and Gared can potentially find wounded Asher/Rodrik as well as young Ryon, halt the deforestation of the Ironwood groves, and expel the Whitehills from Ironrath. Staying at the grove does literally nothing, there is no plan for what to do besides just bunker down and ignore what is happening South. All of the stakes for House Forrester depend on what happens south, not North. We only needed to go North north to find the bastards, mainly the male.

So despite the fact that Gregor has three other legitimate male heirs (Asher, Ethan and Ryon), he is willing to tarnish his legacy and good

• edited October 2017

We can't read Gregor Forresters' mind and we don't know the extent of Elsera's blood magic powers (only that it is linked to the North Grove). It was made very clear in episode 6 that even at the North Grove, her power over the warriors was weakening....so even if she can maintain control of them south of the Wall, will they be enough to defeat the Whitehills? Don't forget that the Boltons are still in power.

What you are saying is pure speculation....which is fine, but I prefer to back up my opinions with actual words and actions from the characters in the game.

Asher is exiled across the sea. Ethan and Ryon are literally children. House Forrester was at war, so yeah on his deathbed Gregor made a dec

• All magic is stronger in the North. This is just a fact from the novels and ASOIAF encyclopedia. The bottom line for her power is that it needs blood sacrifice to keep going. We will basically have to use the blood and hearts of all the enemies we slay to keep her power going, which will be horrifying but also even more terrifying for the Whitehills.

You're being pretty ignorant by saying that there is no factual basis for what i say. Jolsera straight up says that he suspects Gregor only sent them there out of shame and that Elsera is just hoping they had a higher purpose at the grove. The fact that there was even a choice to abandon the grove to go protect the family shows that its not some outlandish theory lol.

We can't read Gregor Forresters' mind and we don't know the extent of Elsera's blood magic powers (only that it is linked to the North Grove

• edited October 2017

Yes! Magic is weaker in the south....another reason why leaving the North Grove with warriors controlled by magic is a major risk!

Like many bastards, Josera wants to be recognized as a member of House Forrester, and understandably so, he doesn't want to die in the freezing North fighting the undead (I can say this with confidence because Josera actually makes this point to Gared in episode 6). That doesn't prove that he understood his father's intentions (I doubt he even knew his father that well). You are choosing to interpret Lord Gregor's actual words in a different way and are providing no real evidence from the game to support it. I don't believe I'm being "ignorant" for pointing that out.

I never said the choice to go south and abandon the North Grove is outlandish. I'm saying that the player knows Ironrath has already fallen, so it may not be the wisest decision at that moment. The Forresters are weak and scattered, it's not the right time to strike back!

I'm not going to stoop down into name-calling. I'll respectfully agree to disagree, but I do enjoy the debate! ;)

All magic is stronger in the North. This is just a fact from the novels and ASOIAF encyclopedia. The bottom line for her power is that it ne

• A meeting with Gregor's bastards and at least one of the trueborns has got to happen.

• there's a lot of chance that talia will meet them first, but i doubt mira will ever meet them

A meeting with Gregor's bastards and at least one of the trueborns has got to happen.

• I agree. I think they could easily have enough material to make Telltale's Game of Thrones a trilogy, just having Season 2 delve more into the Forresters after their fall from grace (seasons 5-6 of the show) and Season 3 being set during the final war. (Seasons 7-8)

Simply dropping the Forrester plotline is a terrible idea. At this point, I simply want to see the Forresters overcome the Whitehills. Moreso than an entire season fighting White Walkers.

• I hope and wish Telltale makes a trilogy out of this game. The Forrester's story is interesting and pretty damn awesome. I hope that Rodrik/Asher can survive until the end of Season 3 but probably not although I believe TellTale knows how to keep them alive because like another person said otherwise they wouldn't have given players that option in Episode 5. If they wanted to they could've made Asher stay serve Daenerys instead of Malcom while Rodrik fends off Ludd Whitehill. Also I want Talia to get some playable levels as she is pretty badass standing up to Gryff and always trying to help Rodrik.

I agree. I think they could easily have enough material to make Telltale's Game of Thrones a trilogy, just having Season 2 delve more into t

• Something else came to mind how would Rodrik/Asher react to learning that Gregor had bastards that he sent north of the wall? My Rodrik would be nice and accepting of more family members to help him defeat the Whitehills. My Asher would decline the help of his father's bastards since Asher never really liked his father.

• I would welcome them with open arms regardless since the Forresters need all the help they can get and they seriously need to preserve the Forrester bloodline.

Something else came to mind how would Rodrik/Asher react to learning that Gregor had bastards that he sent north of the wall? My Rodrik woul

• Well they are actually not Forresters they would be considered Snows because they are northern bastards. Also I wonder what do they actually have to do with the fight against the whitehills I mean yes they are more swords for Lord Forrester to use but we know that Josera is a warg and Elsera is able to command their small army with blood magic, but why was the north grove supposed to be preserved? I doubt that their father meant them, also Rodrik seemed to have knowledge of the North Grove but what about Elissa? There are a lot of questions that need to be answered next season and hopefully TellTale delivers a great continuation to the awesome story they already told.

I would welcome them with open arms regardless since the Forresters need all the help they can get and they seriously need to preserve the Forrester bloodline.

• I was very disappointed when I heard that TellTale wouldn't even touch Season 2 until the show is over. That just shows they pumped the first season out for the money. Making your customers wait years for the next season when you should've just waited initially to make the first season is shallow and lame.

• My hope was that there was something there that Gared could bring back to Ironrath to help defeat the Whitehills. I didn't care about the North Grove at all beyond that possibility. Also, am in complete agreement with VengefulKenny about not wanting to be a part of defeating the white walkers.
    So far I don't remember anyone on the show talking about a North Grove, so it might not even factor in on the show or the books... just a thing for this game. I personally don't care at all about the White Walker conflict. That's something that John and Dany can do. If all of the Forresters are dead, it will hardly matter what the White Walkers do.

What about Gared and the North Grove? That plot line has very little to do with the Forrester/Whitehill rivalry, yet it may be the most impo

• Elsera calls the North Grove a "place of refuge against the forces of darkness during the long night." Lord Gregor and Duncan imply that it is vital to the survival of House Forrester. No family, including the Forresters, can avoid the White Walker threat....so the North Grove doesn't have to be about defeating the walkers. It's about ensuring House Forrester survives the winter.

ShampaFK posted: »

My hope was that there was something there that Gared could bring back to Ironrath to help defeat the Whitehills. I didn't care about the No

• Won't do them any good if they are all dead because of the Whitehills. So far Gregor, Elissa, and Ethan are for sure dead. Mira, Asher, and Roderick are determinant, so they are also pretty much dead. Which leaves Talia and Ryon... The game covered, what?, seasons three and four of the show? That still leaves three seasons worth of time before the Walkers are a concern. Ryon has Beskha protecting him, and Talia is with Asher/Roderick and whoever was with them... but that doesn't feel very secure to me. Sooo... is the game plan to take Talia and Ryon to the North Grove and wait out the White Walker war? And hope that Ironrath is still there for them to take back after everything settles down? Because house Forrester does not figure into the main story and as previously mentioned... the North Grove has not been featured in the show thus far.

Elsera calls the North Grove a "place of refuge against the forces of darkness during the long night." Lord Gregor and Duncan imply that it

• I agree that Mira's role will be small if she survived season 1, but Asher/Rodrik? The one of them who survives should play a key role in the new season, even if it's more limited than before. A time skip is perfect, it gives Asher/Rodrik a chance to heal wounds and Talia and Ryon an opportunity to mature as they prepare for larger roles in the second season.

I can only speculate on why the North Grove is so important....I doubt it will be featured in the show, but maybe the process of uncovering its' secrets will reveal some major revelation about the White Walkers that hasn't been discussed in the tv series yet? That's my guess...

ShampaFK posted: »

Won't do them any good if they are all dead because of the Whitehills. So far Gregor, Elissa, and Ethan are for sure dead. Mira, Asher, and

• I'd say any season 2 is less likely now after the recent layoffs. I don't think Telltale Game Of Thrones was a big enough success tbh.

I agree that Mira's role will be small if she survived season 1, but Asher/Rodrik? The one of them who survives should play a key role in th

• I am concerned that you may be right.

I'd say any season 2 is less likely now after the recent layoffs. I don't think Telltale Game Of Thrones was a big enough success tbh.

• Here news guys:(https://winteriscoming.net/2017/11/10/telltale-game-of-thrones-videogames-layoffs/)

It gives a clue of the actual situation of the game :neutral:

• No I do not agree with you guys saying the game is cancelled if TellTale doesn't want to work on that series anymore they would just come out and say cancelled or something not put it on hold until the show ends. I heard TellTale is interested in making technology their main interest for now and I think that can allow for choices to be more expansive and allow for huge changes in stories we have to see if this is true but I believe it is.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.