Urban Legend: Interactive fantasy

edited November 2021 in Forum Games

On a small island near Scotland, lies a city that is invisible to the eyes of an ordinary human. This city is known as Moonwisp to those who inhabit it, and is a sanctuary for those who if discovered by humanity, would most likely be hunted or exploited to extinction... or put on terrible reality TV shows, it's difficult to know these days. The inhabitants of this place are either born with or somehow have obtained supernatural powers during their life. Some examples of the many supernatural entities that live here are:

Werewolf

Ordinary men and women who have either contracted lycanthropy from another werewolf via a bite or scratch or have inherited it from a parent. Regardless, both are cursed to go under excruciatingly painful transformations from human to half-man/half-wolf monsters during every full moon. When transformed, they lose all memory of who they are and their friends and family. Their mind becomes feral and they will brutally rip apart and devour anything that crosses their path, even other werewolves. The only circumstance in which werewolves will not attack each other is if they have mixed blood with another werewolf when both are in human form. This creates a bond between the beasts and if enough werewolves mix blood with each other, eventually a pack will be formed and the strongest of the pack will become the "Alpha". One strange thing to be noted with werewolves however, is that they have a strange fascination with devouring their victim's hearts, as all of the mangled corpses of the victims of a werewolf's fury have been found with their heart removed.

Strengths:

• Increased speed and strength during human form
  • Natural immunity to all diseases
  • Faster healing rate
  • Almost unkillable in beast form
  • Longer lifespan than humans

Weaknesses:

• Vulnerability to silver
  • Cannot change into beast form at will
  • Decapitation
  • Fire

Vampire

Immortals who feed off of the blood of mortal human beings as sustenance to continue living. Since vampires cannot sexually reproduce, all vampires have contracted vampirism at some point during their mortal lives, via a bite from another vampire or having had vampire blood enter their bloodstream. They are regarded as the ultimate apex predators and the true beings at the top of the food chain, due to how they prey on humans. They are seen as a controversial species by the more peaceful Moonwisp entities due to how they have killed humans in history. The reason for this is because the venom from a vampire bite will kill the human who was bitten and then resurrect them as a vampire themselves. Because vampires did not want to overpopulate or have anyone else become parasitic killers and have to go through what they did, most vampires would directly kill their prey after feeding. The powers that a vampire has depends on what they were like as a mortal. For example, vampires who were regarded by humans as attractive when they were mortals will have supernatural beauty to seduce prey as a vampire.

Strengths:

• Supernatural speed (can run faster than the fastest of vehicles)
  • Supernatural strength
  • Eternal youth
  • Almost unkillable
  • Immune to all diseases
  • Powers unique to each individual

Weaknesses:

• Direct sunlight
  • Ultraviolet light
  • Religious symbols with strong beliefs behind them
  • Werewolf blood can kill them if they consume it
  • Fire
  • Decapitation

Sorcerer/Sorceress

Believed to be descended from angels or other celestial beings, they are men and women born with the ability to naturally wield elemental magic, which allows them to bend and manipulate the elements to their will. They can create fire and ice in the palms of their hands by manipulating their own body heat. They can manipulate gravity to send their foes flying. They can summon bolts of lighting to incinerate those their enemies. They are also capable of giving their allies blessings which would aid them in battle. The can also learn to shapeshift, but it would take years to master. Most sorcerers only focus on one type of magic.

Strengths:

• Can live for over a century
  • Look younger than they really are
  • Can use fire magic
  • Can use ice magic
  • Can use weather-based magic
  • Can bless allies
  • Can manipulate gravity
  • Immune to vampirism and lycanthropy

Weaknesses:

• Attracts demons

Warlock/Witch

Users of the dark arts, they are believed to be rogue sorcerers who dabbled in the witchcraft, which consists of types of magic such as necromancy, blood magic, soulbending, demonic summoning and using curses. The witches and warlocks naturally born with these abilities instead of learning them are believed to be the offspring of demons and humans due their abilities.

Strengths:

• Longer lifespan
  • Longer youth
  • Can use withcraft
  • Can curse their enemies
  • Are seen as allies by demons

Weaknesses:

• Can die using certain types of witchcraft such as blood magic
  • Can be possessed by demons if not careful

Elf

Said to be the children of the goddess of nature, as well as being tall and beautiful, they are also immortal, eventually their ageing process is halted once they reach their late twenties. They can be distinguished by their pointy ears. They have their own kingdom in the forests of the island. They are able to wield nature magic and call animals to their aid. Their blood is highly sought after by vampires because of its taste. Since elves are immune to all diseases, including vampirism and lycanthropy, some elves oblige in giving it to them.

Strengths:

• Immortal
  • Eternal youth
  • Can command animals
  • Immune to all diseases

Weaknesses:

• Can be killed like mortals can

Fairy

Forest-dwelling creatures that live alongside elves, they can be distinguished by their wings, slightly pointed ears and short stature. They can turn into a tiny "wisp" form, which appears as a glowing orb with wings. They are shorter than other supernatural types, with 5'6" being considered tall for one to be. They are said to have been created by a goddess similar to the one that created elves.

Strengths:

• Immortal
  • Ability of flight
  • Natural gardening skills
  • Ageing stops in late twenties

Weaknesses:

• Can be killed like mortals
  • Weak fighters

Mermaid/Merman

With the upper body of a human and the tail of a fish, these aquatic beings have put behind their days of drowning sailors in favour of coexisting with the other supernatural beings of Moonwisp. Due to advancements in magic, they have gained the ability morph their fish lower half into legs to allow them to traverse Moonwisp more easily. They are said to have been created by the god of the sea.

Strengths:

• Can breathe underwater
  • Can morph tail into legs
  • Can breathe on land

Weaknesses:

• Can get ill if away from water for too long
  • Average human lifespan

Centaur

Said to be a collaborative creation from the sea god and the god of land, they appear human, but from the waist down they are a horse. They make great hunters due to their tremendous speed and marksmanship. They inhabit the open fields of Moonwisp and consist of multiple tribes.

Strengths:

• Fast runners
  • Great archers
  • Resilient

Weaknesses:

• Average human lifespan

Half-demon

Sometimes, demons who have been able to survive on our dimension for a period of time have mated with humans and have created offspring with special powers.

Strengths:

• Powers corresponding to type of demon that is their parent
  • Increased strength
  • Increased speed
  • Longer lifespan

Weaknesses:

• Religious symbols with strong belief behind them
  • More likely to be possessed by demon

Human

"Wait, human?" you might be thinking. Not all of them have their memory wiped by men in black. Some humans might have knowledge that could help with certain missions, and are allowed access to the community.

Strengths:

• Blends in easily with normal society.

Weaknesses:

• Most susceptible to demonic possession.

Submit your characters here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeN6XLdQEJf-E1wKhngIqoDNkklYR51Z4iDBsXG6DPx4l_zWA/viewform

If you have any suggestions for any supernatural types, feel free to comment your suggestions

Characters

Alive: Tim Fox, Hunter Woods, Gerald, Amalia Grigorov

Deceased/uncertain:

To be introduced: Michelle Desdit, Aerin, Peter Desdit, Johnny, Marcus Desdit, Aeson, Flora, Countess Eliza, Elia Torren, Rachel Finley, Volke Vossler

Chapter List

Chapter 1: Rebirth (Ongoing)

Chapter 2: Moonwisp

Chapter 3: Wildheart

Chapter 4: Darkmoor

Chapter 5: Lust

If you submitted characters in Midnight Hollow, PM me if you want them to be included in this story, or if you want any changes made to them.

Comments

• edited October 2017

Super intrigued by this! Can't wait to see what you've got in store. :)

I've got a clarification question about Werewolves. They lose their memory when they transform, is the reverse also true? Do they remember what they did in Werewolf form?

EDIT: I've a few Supernatural suggestions I want suggest later (mostly monsters) so look forward to that!

• I'd say it is sort of like a dream, where they can't remember exactly what happened, only a few vague things.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Super intrigued by this! Can't wait to see what you've got in store. I've got a clarification question about Werewolves. They lose their

• So it's possible that you don't even know you're a Werewolf?

TheFurryOne posted: »

I'd say it is sort of like a dream, where they can't remember exactly what happened, only a few vague things.

• They'd probably realize something is up after continuously waking up naked and covered in blood in public places. Even if they didn't realize they were actually a werewolf themselves, Moonwisp's "administrators" would, and they would track them down.

So it's possible that you don't even know you're a Werewolf?

• edited October 2017

Here are some Supernatural suggestions. Just to be clear, I'm just trying to help out with some suggestions and throw some ideas at you. I won't be offended if you don't use any of them :)

Most of the lore I found on a Mythical Creatures guide site.

enter image description here
    Wendigo- Wendigo's are probably most known as people who turn into monsters when they eat another human. Though I found out that some lore says that anyone who survives a Wendigo attack would contract a Wendigo fever. Not turn into a Wendigo but be plagued with nightmares. Another interesting bit I saw was that a Wendigo spirit could possess people.

Djinn- It is said that the Djinn are created from fire and can take on any form they choose-animal or human-and can be of any size (they have a human-like form and can take the shape of animals but only temporary unless it is their tribes animal protector. Most of them are hostile, or at least not all that friendly to humans, although some can be friendly, and helpful. It is possible for magicians or wise men and women to gain power over a Djinn and use it to perform amazing and magical tasks. Be wary, for even a friendly Djinn is unpredictable and certainly anyone who breaks an agreement with a Djinn will strongly regret it. Often Djinn take naughty pleasure in punishing people for wronging them, even unintentionally. * Note they aren't usually violent, but don't like being summoned, to do stuff.... Also they won't harm you but you might not want what they give you, (for example you ask for a Pie, will give you a "pie" but it might be a cow pie if they are in a bad mood, and if you summon one they will most likely be in a bad mood) 

(I had a difficult time finding a good pic as I just kept getting stuff for grim reapers, so don't consider this pic 100% lore accurate, it's just to give a rough idea)
    Grim- A Spector-type creature very similar to the dementors from Harry Potter. A soul sucking creature that quite literally sucks the life out of you, preying on your life energy and usually leaves their victims sad or in a state of depression.

• Hi there. That's interesting idea. I may join, as previous story wasn't read by me in the past.

Looking forward to character submission being open.

• I can definitely use those as antagonistic creatures in the story, although the ones in the OP are ones you will be able to make characters of when character submitting is open.

Here are some Supernatural suggestions. Just to be clear, I'm just trying to help out with some suggestions and throw some ideas at you. I w

• What do you guys think of centaurs and merpeople being creatable supernatural types?

• I'm into it! They're interesting and fascinating creatures and it gives us more options. :)

What do you guys think of centaurs and merpeople being creatable supernatural types?

• I agree with Agent. I think it’s a good idea and it provides more opportunity. Plus if you ever get stuck in something, you’d have a greater chance to work around it.

What do you guys think of centaurs and merpeople being creatable supernatural types?

• Character submission should open tomorrow. If I get any more supernatural type suggestions or ideas I shall add them afterwards.

• Character submitting is now open! I tried to make it look like an actual registration form for Moonwisp, but I think I kinda failed.

• Clarification question. Are the Warlocks/Witches just humans who use the dark arts?

• They're usually half-demons who took an interest in magic over their raw, inherited demon powers, or sorcerers gone rogue.

Clarification question. Are the Warlocks/Witches just humans who use the dark arts?

• edited October 2017

I love the way you've done the character submissions! It's so cool and makes me want to
    write it in first person, from my characters perspective, which I assume is the intention.

• You can write in whatever way you prefer.

I love the way you've done the character submissions! It's so cool and makes me want to write it in first person, from my characters perspective, which I assume is the intention.

• Just submitted a character! I had a lot of fun writing her and I really hope you like her! Let me know if you've got any questions about her, I'm happy to discuss my characters via PM. :)

Got a few more planned btw!

• If it’s okay, I’ll have a character submitted over the weekend.

Character submitting is now open! I tried to make it look like an actual registration form for Moonwisp, but I think I kinda failed.

• Submitted as well.

• This looks very interesting. I already have a few ideas for some characters. I might submit some sometime soon.

• So it seems I stupidly forgot to add the age and backstory questions, so could anyone who submits characters in the future put the age and backstory in the Other info section like the those who have submitted so far.

• Hope it's okay that for my second character I didn't add a backstory. The reason I didn't is because nothing really noteworthy happened in his past.

One more thing, can you confirm what I ticked for the romance question for my female character? I know I intended to pick that I'm okay with romance but part of me worries that I picked to drink the anti love potion.

• Oh yeah and just as a heads up, Chapter 1 will focus on 2 PoV characters outside of Moonwisp.

• You chose not to drink it.

Hope it's okay that for my second character I didn't add a backstory. The reason I didn't is because nothing really noteworthy happened in h

• I've just submitted a character. If there's any problems with him or anything that I might've forgot to put into his submission, please feel free to PM me about it.

• You most likely know this, but I sent you a pm.

• Rebirth: Part 1

Tim Fox

Revenge. I was always told that it was pointless, that it would only leave you feeling empty in the end and that forgiveness was the only way forward.

Bullshit.

My name is Mortimer “Tim” Fox. You may be wondering why my nickname is “Tim” and not “Morty”, well that’s because I just fucking prefer “Tim” alright? Anyways, I am sixteen years old and I am from the countryside of Nottinghamshire, England. My mother died in a house fire when I was an infant. My father, well, I never knew him, I’m not even sure if he knows of my existence. I was raised by my aunt and uncle, although they cared more about their child prodigy of a daughter than me. I don’t blame them really, as my older cousin got an A in every subject and was skilled in playing musical instruments.

While I got good grades during primary school, after I realized that unless you are born with the magic ticket called “Talent” you’re seen as worthless by society, I stopped caring, and instead focused on my ambition as a writer. I didn’t need all that pointless, irrelevant shit that they taught at school. You might think that due to my goal of becoming a writer, that I would be in the highest English group, but nope, I was somewhere around the middle. This was due to how instead of being able to show off my skills via creative writing, we were forced into analyzing some dreadful poems. I didn’t really have all that many friends at school, the people on a similar intellectual level to me saw me as inferior to them due to my low grades, and those with similar grades to me were far too idiotic for me to even want to be seen around. I was also quite weak when I was mortal, I ran out of stamina quickly, which was said to be from how the smoke from that house fire had messed up my lungs, and I had little to no physical strength, due to my fast metabolism, which made me not gain any fat or muscle, despite my excessive eating. This caused me to be mocked and taunted by both students and teachers as well. My grades were low, and I didn’t have any brute strength to make up for it in Physical Education. Those troglodytes thought they were so clever with their little remarks. They thought they were better than me, superior.

Not anymore.

Some say the smoke damaged my brain too, making me slightly unhinged. I had always had this… urge. An urge to prey upon those who would mock me. An urge to permanently put an end to their pathetic, insignificant, little lives. I wanted… to kill them.

That’s why becoming a being of the night was the best thing that ever happened to me in this hateful world.

It all started on the 13th December 2016. It was a windy, stormy and rainy day. Coincidently, also the day I did not take a jacket with a hood on it. It was the usual dreadful day at school, and I had made my way from the school down to the town centre to wait at the bus stop. However, my bus ticket flew out my hand. My hand had been too stiff from the intense cold to reach out and grasp it, and so the wind carried it over the buildings and out of my view. I wanted to cry, realizing I didn’t have enough money to purchase another bus ticket and that I would have to walk for about an hour and a half to get back to the warmth of my home. It wasn’t just the walking, or that when I got to my neighbourhood I would have to trudge through grassy mud due to there being no pavement to walk on, but the fear of being attacked by a serial killer. In the recent months, teenagers and young adults had been found dangling upside down from trees with their throats cut open all around the county. The school had found out about the knife I had brought in. I had tried to explain it was only for self-defence if this serial killer had attacked me, and that I wasn’t intending to stab anyone at school with it, but they didn’t want to hear it. They thankfully didn’t report it to the police, as they knew I had extreme levels of paranoia and was pretty harmless, but they would have to inform my aunt and uncle.

I decided I was far too cold to walk at that current point in fear that I would get hypothermia, so I decided to walk down to the town and warm up in the local internet café. They had a big TV in there, but they usually played football matches or the news, so I would usually not pay much attention to it. I didn’t have a phone to connect to the Wi-Fi though because I figured all of the people that I was friends with I could talk to on my game consoles. While I was sitting by myself on one of the sofas in that café, my severe anxiety of being brutally murdered by a serial killer was relieved. The local news had revealed that the serial killer had died in a high speed police chase when they had swerved off of a bridge and their car had exploded when they plummeted into the forest below. Their charred corpse was then pulled from the wreckage after the fire brigade had extinguished the flames.

Never before had I been so happy to hear of someone’s demise, so I decided to slowly make my way home now that I had warmed up somewhat. The walk along the pavement before I got to my neighbourhood wasn’t that bad, although there was the exceptional lorry or tractor zooming past and blasting me with both a gush of wind and mucky water on the road. The trudging through the thick mud and nettles on the side of the road when I got to my neighbourhood was when things got difficult. It was bad enough that the mud and grass was slowing me down, but the constant wind almost blowing me off course and making the fringe of my dark brown hair flutter in front of my eyes and obscuring my view was the real challenge.

When I was about halfway there, I saw a hooded figure emerge from the cornfield next to the layer of mud. It was difficult to make out their exact appearance, with the darkness of winter and the relentless wind and rain. They just stood there on the side of the road, not moving whatsoever. It made anxious to go near them, and I wanted to cross the road and walk along the other side, but I could hear large vehicles approached. I was worried that they might be insane, or perhaps even a killer themselves. I grew paranoid that they would pull out a knife and stab me when I entered their vicinity. I longed for my own knife, regretting that I had showed it off to those goth kids at lunchtime in hopes of gaining some street cred from them, and that a teacher had spotted me at the worst time possible.

As I got closer to the hooded stranger, I could see a lorry fast approaching. That’s when they did something crazy. They suddenly walked forwards into the middle of the road, the driver of the speeding lorry would have had no time to see this hooded maniac and avoid them. That’s when I did something crazy. Some kind of sympathy and courage must’ve built up in me. I mustered up all of my limited strength, and I leapt into the middle of the road and pushed them to safety on the other side of the road. I only had about a millisecond to realize that I had just saved someone’s life, before I turned to see the front of the lorry, and a rush of immense pain burnt through my whole body.

For the next few seconds, I was half-conscious, I felt no pain, in fact I didn’t feel anything at all except for intense heat. Everything was a blur, and a loud ringing assaulted my ear drums. My vision and hearing began to fade as my entire life flashed before my eyes. It was quite a boring sight really. I did have one final, depressing, important thought however.

“I’m going to die a virgin!”

Then everything turned to darkness, and I died.

• edited October 2017

Well that was an interesting and yet odd start to the story. Poor Tim.

• Submitted.

• Interesting part. Have you seen the new pm, I sent you?

Rebirth: Part 1 Tim Fox Revenge. I was always told that it was pointless, that it would only leave you feeling empty in the end and th

• I think it’s off to a great start already! Intriguing and entertaining, I look forward to this. :)

Rebirth: Part 1 Tim Fox Revenge. I was always told that it was pointless, that it would only leave you feeling empty in the end and th

• A question, what do you guys think of Tim so far? Do you find him sympathetic, or somewhat villainous?

• I find Tim to be a sympathetic character, mainly due to all his past experiences and his apparently difficult time now.

A question, what do you guys think of Tim so far? Do you find him sympathetic, or somewhat villainous?

• edited October 2017

A question, what do you guys think of Tim so far?

Personally I wouldn't say either. I don't find him sympathetic but I don't think he's a bad person either. He seems the type to complain about the hand he was dealt rather than make the most of it. I do pity him somewhat though, for his paranoia and other issues. Don't get me wrong though, I do like him and find him interesting.

• This was a very interesting beginning for the remake. I'm already really hyped at this all, hopefully I get to resubmit my characters from the old one soon. But yeah, I have a great feeling about this and I am so excited to read more of your writing here :)

• That was an interesting part. I'm not to sure what to think of Tim yet. So far, he seems sympathetic, but I can see him turning into a villain based on his desire to kill his enemies. Anyways, I'm excited for the next part.

• Did you get my PM?

This was a very interesting beginning for the remake. I'm already really hyped at this all, hopefully I get to resubmit my characters from t

• This looks very cool I'll try and submit a character.

• I already have a question: do other secret communitys like this exist in the world or is moonswip the only of its kind?

• I'd say there are, but I'm not sure if I want to have them be in contact or just acknowledge each other yet.

Nolonius posted: »

I already have a question: do other secret communitys like this exist in the world or is moonswip the only of its kind?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.