Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• [Take a break] As much as I love Darreth, I don't think he should be handing their goal alone. Especially since he hasn't been shy about wanting to side with Normund. As much as it may pain him, Edrick needs to be there to handle things.

[Tell Petyr to contact Lord Tully] It's a gamble but I think it's a worthwile gamble as Tully would be a really valuable ally. And who knows, he might appreciate a second chance to take down the Hoares.

I still love Viveka. Best get used to me saying that everytime she appears in a part. :p Sylvi really grew on me this part as well. I already liked her, but now I like her more. Getting hit by that whip actually reminded of that one part in the Path of Honor. Do you remember the one I'm talking about?

Boy, reading Edrick's part wasn't pleasant. Especially reading about his past experiences with getting whipped.

Edrick Edrick tensed up, clenching his fists, as he finally spoke up. “It was me”, he pressed through his teeth. Both, Normund and Darret

• [Take a break] Let's give Edrick a chance to regain his strength. As for Darreth, I'm sure he is grateful enough for what Edrick did to not fuck their plan up in his absence. Man, this part really highlighted Edrick's badassery, almost as much as it highlighted Gawayne's shittynes :D I wonder what exactly happened between Edrick and the Skagosi, btw.

[Tell Petyr to contact Lord Piper] It's hard to choose between Piper and Tully, because I could see both of them being very beneficial for the rebellion, but I can also see either of them wanting to stay neutral for now. The Frey on the other hand is guaranteed to join sooner or later, which is why I don't feel like securing his support is quite as urgent. Hmm, I wonder where exactly Walder Blackwood is these days, and if we'll see him in the story someday.

Edrick Edrick tensed up, clenching his fists, as he finally spoke up. “It was me”, he pressed through his teeth. Both, Normund and Darret

• ****(Take a break)****
    ****(Tell Petyr to contact Lord Frey)****

• [Take a Break]
    [Tell Petyr to contact Lord Frey]

• [Take a break] Screw that lady man. We must piss them all off.

[Tell Petyr to contact Lord Piper] Why not? I mean, last time I checked, Pipers could attract tons of rats. Maybe that will be useful.

Also, interesting about this Skagosi and our dear Edrick. Seems to have been rough for him.

• I still love Viveka. Best get used to me saying that everytime she appears in a part. :p Sylvi really grew on me this part as well. I already liked her, but now I like her more. Getting hit by that whip actually reminded of that one part in the Path of Honor. Do you remember the one I'm talking about?

Ah, I am glad you like Viveka. I really enjoy writing her, because she is quite a complex character. At this point, I'd say she is one of those characters that cannot be truly seen as an ally or enemy of the PoV she appears in, despite being such a major character in Edrick's Faronhall storyline, due to the way how she can be equal parts reasonable and utterly harsh. Sylvi meanwhile will have some great moments to shine as well in the things to come, I really look forward for how your view on her will develop! And ah, of course I remember that part. I can't say it was a deliberate reference, but I gladly go with it =)

Boy, reading Edrick's part wasn't pleasant. Especially reading about his past experiences with getting whipped.

Yeah, Edrick has been through some serious shit in the past and the present isn't particularly better to him. I mean to show just how miserable life as a hedge knight can be at times, as Edrick, despite his knightly title, doesn't really have it any better than a common sellsword most of the time. Perhaps the only "benefit" he has from his title is that he gets singled out to take on a mission as dangerous as his current one and I can say he is actually quite done with all this. Things definitely aren't going to get more pleasant in the near future, as he is still technically a prisoner to the Ironborn and they are not know to be particularly pleasant jailers.

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Take a break] As much as I love Darreth, I don't think he should be handing their goal alone. Especially since he hasn't been shy about wan

• edited April 2018

Let's give Edrick a chance to regain his strength. As for Darreth, I'm sure he is grateful enough for what Edrick did to not fuck their plan up in his absence. Man, this part really highlighted Edrick's badassery, almost as much as it highlighted Gawayne's shittynes :D I wonder what exactly happened between Edrick and the Skagosi, btw.

Yeah, Edrick is definitely one of the most badass PoV's at the time. Super hardened, experienced in enduring pain and not taking shit from anyone, that's a big part of his character. Gawayne meanwhile, he's a smug jerk and absolutely abusing his position of power here. In other places, he'd be merely a nuisance, but he is what happens when a bully gets too powerful. A shame that he is otherwise quite effective at his job, or else he wouldn't have it anymore. When it comes to the Skagosi and Edrick, he fought against them once, during their last large scale attack on the shores of the mainland North, which was also where he saved Barroth Boleyn's life and got knighted by him in return. During this campaign, he was briefly captured by the Skagosi, who were quite brutal with their prisoners, torturing several of them. Edrick got off actually easier than many of his companions, who were painfully killed.

It's hard to choose between Piper and Tully, because I could see both of them being very beneficial for the rebellion, but I can also see either of them wanting to stay neutral for now. The Frey on the other hand is guaranteed to join sooner or later, which is why I don't feel like securing his support is quite as urgent. Hmm, I wonder where exactly Walder Blackwood is these days, and if we'll see him in the story someday.

Yeah, this is something Petyr and Garthon have to deal with as well, the fact that some Riverlords might prefer to remain neutral. Doesn't necessarily have to be Piper and Tully, but there's some lords out there who might not be on board with the "Let's risk our lives and those of our families to do that thing we tried several times before but failed miserably" part of the plan :D When it comes to Walder Blackwood, I can confirm he will appear in the story. He is in the waiting list and he is a character I have some nice plans for. You might not immediately notice him though, because naturally he is not going to be particularly open about his name and heritage, due to the fact that he is a wanted man in the Riverlands, but I can absolutely confirm that he will appear in a decent role.

[Take a break] Let's give Edrick a chance to regain his strength. As for Darreth, I'm sure he is grateful enough for what Edrick did to not

• Why not? I mean, last time I checked, Pipers could attract tons of rats. Maybe that will be useful.

Well, Elmont Piper might not be that type of piper, but given that we have a rodent-themed sellsword leader with a small and highly trained army just a kingdom away, I'd say it might turn out to be worth a shot. The Riverlords have grasped for less likely straws in less dangerous times. One way or the other, the support of House Piper will bring up something valuable to the table, that much is guaranteed.

Also, interesting about this Skagosi and our dear Edrick. Seems to have been rough for him.

Yeah, this seems to have come up a number of times in the comments so far, Edrick's past experience with the Skagosi. It was the bad kind of Skagosi, not the semi-civilized folks that are currently keeping the peace on Skagos due to Torrhen Stark having taken Mace Crowl as a ward, but the ones that deserve their reputation as savage cannibals on the same level as some of the wildling clans. Edrick got off easier than some of his companions, who ended up as dinner, but the whipping he suffered was bad in itself, essentially leaving scars that are visible even many years later and he came close to dying on that day. Getting whipped to death by utter savages must definitely be one of the most painful ways to die, so it can be assumed that he suffered more pain than most living people in Westeros as a result.

[Take a break] Screw that lady man. We must piss them all off. [Tell Petyr to contact Lord Piper] Why not? I mean, last time I checked, P

• [Take a break]

[Tell Petyr to contact Lord Frey]

• The Voting is closed!

Edrick is going to take a break

Garthon is going to tell Petyr to contact Lord Piper

The first of these choices will mean one thing first and foremost, and that is screentime for those of Edrick's group who did not appear in this chapter yet, means Dante, Alphyn, Reymond and Jorid. Perhaps, even fan favourite Leo York will make an appearance. The second choice, I am more neutral about, especially as we have a tie here which I resolve with the first choice made here. Let me reveal one thing in advance, each of the three lords mentioned here will have a notable part to play in the things to come, this one just decided on whom will appear first. As such, there have been more major choices than this one, but I believe each of the Riverlords will leave quite the impression by the time Book 2 is over. This one will merely mean that we'll get to see Elmont Piper first.

The next part is hopefully going to be out today. The issue is that I have been busy over the weekend, so I only got to start writing yesterday. My semester has also started again and while this is not expected to have a major effect on my writing schedule just yet (albeit things might have to slow down a little bit once my exams begin), I cannot pull an all-nighter to finish the part, as I got some classes tomorrow. However, I have started the part, I'm making good progress and I believe it should be perfectly reasonable to assume it will be finished today. Right now, I am writing a part for Kyra, though if there is room, I might include a Janae PoV as well. If not, Janae will appear in the part after the next one, together with John's PoV. So, last time we saw Kyra, she witnessed the lovely wedding between Harmund Hoare and Elaena Mallister, something neither of the two is happy with one bit. For Harmund, it led to him doing an actually kind thing in the single most despicable way, by telling Elaena that he has no interest in her and will therefore not consummate the marriage. Him being Harmund, he of course made it clear that she shouldn't get too excited, because he will do it once she gets a bit older and therefore actually physically attractive to him, but for the time being, this is the best Elaena can hope for. The part also featured the return of Rell Vessels to Harrenhal and as it turns out, he actually kept his word to Garthon and claimed that he is dead. On a positive note, this means Harren Hoare has no reason to doubt his death. Unfortunately, it also means that Kyra believes it as well and it affected her more than she thought. Always a good friend, Gravven noticed her being affected by this, so he took it onto himself to cheer her up a bit, by inviting her back to the hall, something she accepted. The next part will start the morning after, which is also going to be the day where Kyra and Gravven are supposed to head out and confront the Sons of the Trident who have allegedly killed a number of her guards to get revenge on the man who sold out the former leader of the rebels.

• Perhaps, even fan favorite Leo York will make an appearance.

Made me laugh while I was drinking! :D

The Voting is closed! Edrick is going to take a break Garthon is going to tell Petyr to contact Lord Piper The first of these choic

• edited April 2018

Kyra

Kyra awoke with a headache, a groan and with the desire to never even look at another drink for the rest of her life. Barely able to keep her eyes open in the first moment, she let out a loud yawn. “Awake already?”, Harrick asked next to her and she sighed, as she rolled over to his side.

“How late is it?”, she mumbled, still barely scanning her surroundings. She noticed he had put an arm around her and she rested her head on his shoulder, taking the opportunity for a quick nap. He interrupted it by moving and she sighed. “Not too late”, he informed her. “Not even noon. After yesterday, most of the castle's still not up again. Revelry still continues in some parts, actually”

She frowned. “Too late for me”, she said. “Gravven and I want to head out today. Hunting those sons of bitches who killed my men” Still blinking, she managed to look at Harrick, who smiled softly. “I know”, he said. “You told me yesterday. Thrice, to be precise. I think you and Gravven tried to compose a song about it, but the result was... positively atrocious.”

Still tired, Kyra's head sank back onto Harrick's shoulder. “What else happened yesterday?”, she muttered, suppressing another yawn. She didn't have to see his face to hear the smugness in his voice. “Plenty things”, he told her and she rolled her eyes, without him seeing. “Anything I have to be embarrassed for?”, she asked.

“Well, you did challenge Durren Stallhart to a drinking contest”, Harrick replied. “Not embarrassing, but recklessly stupid” Kyra sighed. “Explaines the headache”, she gulped and as she looked up, she carefully looked at Harrick's face. Darkly handsome, his eyes equal parts menacing and fascinating... and with a fresh bruise on his cheek. “And you got punched yesterday”

He flashed her a grin. “So, you really can't remember much, huh?”, he deduced and she could only nod, her memory of the past night not much more than fragments. “Not even how you punched me” This caused her to raise an eyebrow. “I probably had a good reason”, she claimed.

To this, Harrick shrugged, which forced her to change her comfortable position by his side. “I stopped you from challenging Stallhart to the finger dance”, he said. “After already losing the drinking contest, you could barely stand. Figured you from the morning after would be grateful for still having all of your fingers”

“And I punched you...”, Kyra mumbled and indeed, the memory of her lashing out at the prince in a brief fit of fury appeared in her mind, causing her to grin. Harrick reciprocated her expression. “Well, I've had worse beatings”, he said and she smirked, as she leaned in to give him a brief kiss. “I'll make up for it”, she promised and he chuckled. “Don't worry, you already did”, he said with a wink.

It was in this moment that a loud knock on the door caused her to turn her attention away from the prince. “Cap?”, the familiar voice of Gravven sounded from the other side of the wall. “You still in there? It's getting late” Kyra sighed. “Yeah, I'm here!”, she confirmed and she and Harrick looked at each other, before he shrugged.

“I'd like to come in, but I don't want to see any Hoare cock”, Gravven continued. “But we really have to hurry, else we won't be back at the castle before nightfall” Kyra was already in the process of getting up, which was easier than she expected with her headache. “I'll make it quick”, she yelled, frowning at the dizziness that still threatened to overwhelm her. Her clothes were scattered across the floor and she began to pick them up one by one.

Noticing Harrick's stare, she raised an eyebrow. “You're not helping!”, she hissed sternly. “Where are my pants?” Instead of actually helping, he crossed his arms behind his head and continued to watch her and the sight of him on her bed was actually more distracting than anything he could ever say. Frustrated, she sighed, before she knelt down, finally finding the rest of her clothes beneath the bed.

“A bath would be amazing now”, she admitted, as she began to dress herself. Harrick chuckled. “Keep in mind, you plan to kill people today”, he said. “Maybe reward yourself afterwards. It's going to be a bloody affair” She nodded, as she went to the mirror on the wall. Her black hair was in a disarray and with a frustrated glare at her reflection in the mirror, she tried to comb it, mostly in vain.

Harrick rose from the bed as well and naked as his nameday, he approached her, as she lowered the comb. After giving her a kiss on the neck, he wordlessly began to tie her hair into a bun and she smiled. “Now you're helping”, she spoke. “Keep it up and maybe I'd like to see you again”

The prince smiled, though there was this look he had given her before, which she found herself unable to interpret, or perhaps unwilling. “I'd like that”, he said, before he sighed. “Kyra, once you're back... perhaps we can talk?”

Kyra's own smile froze in place for a second, as she nervously chuckled. Softly, she placed her arms on his shoulders, giving him a deep look that caused him to momentarily blush and interrupt whatever he was about to say. “Talk”, she whispered, as she gently pushed him back to the bed. “There's at least a dozen things I'd rather do right now than talk”

Climbing onto his lap, she gave him a kiss. “Unfortunately, duty calls”, she added, as she pulled the blanket up and wrapped it around his shoulders. “For now though, we should try not to blind Gravven, so cover yourself” He raised an eyebrow, though merely smirked as she stood up again, to walk towards the door.

“Kyra”, he called after her and she glanced over her shoulder. “When you get these people, give them hell” She replied with a wink, before she opened the door. Behind, in the hallway, Gravven waited patiently. Her second-in-command glanced past her, slightly shaking his head as she stepped towards him, closing the door behind her. The man was dressed for battle already, wearing leather atop chainmail, Red Rain strapped to his belt and a short axe behind his back, both weapons partially covered by a fur cloak for the journey.

“I won't even ask what took you so long”, he spoke. “How are you feeling?” Kyra smirked, as the two began to walk down the hallway. “Better”, she replied. “Thanks for inviting me yesterday” Gravven reciprocated her smile. “Figured it'd help”, he said. “Though you honestly had a lot of luck. Stallhart isn't the type of man I'd challenge lightly”

She raised an eyebrow at his statement. “I remember you did”, she said and he shrugged. “Yeah and sometimes I still feel the headache. That man can drink like a dozen”, he replied. “What I mean is, are you ready for today? Won't blame you if you're feeling a bit dizzy”

To this, Kyra simply let out a brief chuckle. “I do feel a bit dizzy”, she confirmed. “But when did that ever stop me?” Gravven gave her a nod. “Aye, I shouldn't have asked”, he admitted. “But if your information is correct, we'll go up against quite a number of opponents today”

“Peasants, you mean”, she reminded him. “Most of them are farmers” Gravven shook his head. “Have been”, he corrected her. “They are rebels now and they somehow overpowered quite a number of your men” Following this, he shrugged. “Probably took them by surprise though. If we look out, we avoid the same fate”

As he said this, he brought something up that caused Kyra to hesitate. Deep down, there still was an odd feeling at the news she had received today, about Garthon's demise months ago. But the evening with Gravven and Stallhart and Harrick, it had helped. And now, she was able to focus onto something she hadn't put much thought into so far. Just how did the Sons manage to overpower a dozen of her men without them sounding the alarm? It hadn't been an ambush, but an attack at the gates of Harrenhal, the strongest fortress in the known world. The Sons of the Trident were a menace, a danger on the roads, but not a threat to the castles of the Riverlands. And yet they somehow managed to do the impossible... There were several possible explanations and she didn't like a single one of them.

The two stepped out into the courtyard. Dark clouds were covering the sun, resulting in a gloomy twilight. At worst, it'd even start to rain, though Kyra sent a brief, silent prayer to the Drowned God that he'd spare them this much at least. Glancing at Gravven, they wordlessly came to an agreement and headed to the armoury first, where Kyra outfitted herself with a thick cloak for the journey. She did not take the chainmail though, for it'd be more hindrance than help in a combat as fast as the one they had planned.

Finally, she reached for her axe. It wasn't a particularly large one and in fact, a man such as Gravven would probably be tempted to wield it with a single hand. For her, it was a two-handed axe and just the right size. Always sharpened, always ready. Today would mark the first time in many months that she actually planned to use it though. Raiding wasn't quite common for her anymore, in her current position. Actually, leaving the castle was already a bit of a rarity, but this was something she had to deal with personally. “I think”, she said. “We're ready”

On horseback, Kyra and Gravven made their way out of the castle and through the Riverlands. A cold wind was howling and eventually, the first soft drops of rain began to fall not long after they had left Harrenhal, though without taking the cold into account, it actually was a pleasant feeling, as long as it wasn't pouring and Kyra put her face to the sky, closing her eyes as she let the horse take charge, slowly riding down the road, the water soothing her headache.

“Hey Cap!”, Gravven roared and she glanced at him. “How far is it?” She had been given directions by Damon, yet all Kyra could do right now was to shrug. “My source has been more secretive there. I know the way, but not how far it is”, she told him. “Probably still a bit”

Gravven grinned, as he moved his horse closer. “I race you, what do you say?”, he offered and she raised an eyebrow, before she cracked a smile. “Loser buys the drinks tonight”, she said and he chuckled. “You sure you want to drink again?”, he asked, to which she only nodded. “Considering they are going to be free, I'll take them”, she replied and spurred her horse, getting a headstart over Gravven.

That being said, her second-in-command was an experienced rider himself and soon, he caught up to her. “Low move, captain”, he growled and the wind carried her laughter to his ears. They raced across the dark, fir-lined road, the rain only slowly getting stronger. Soon, the road turned into more of a muddy path and the horses began to pant, which caused both to slow down a bit.

And finally, Kyra spotted their destination. Close to the road, on a clearing, was the farmhouse Damon had told her about. By now, it had gotten darker, the rain more intense, as Kyra slowed down, causing Gravven to surpass her. With a wide grin, he turned around. “You're paying”, he informed her and she sighed. “I might have deserved that one”, she admitted, as she pointed at the farmhouse. “But careful now, we're there”

Gravven understood her at once and the cheerful grin got instantly replaced by a serious expression, though the hint of a grim lust for blood remained. Together, they descended from their horses, leading the animals up the small path that led to the farmhouse. Behind it, Kyra could see a small field and there was a barn close to the forest, but beyond that, she saw nothing, not a single soul. In fact, she doubted there were many people living in this farmhouse. It wasn't particularly large. And yet, they somehow managed to overpower a dozen guards. Something really didn't add up here...

Keeping their weapons hidden beneath the cloaks, they approached the house, as the door got opened. A young boy glanced through the gap, a pale-faced and freckled redhead, not older than five. His eyes widened with fear as he saw the cloaked strangers and he slammed the door shut. “Father!”, his voice sounded from the inside.

Kyra suppressed a curse, a decency Gravven did not share. “Fuck”, he growled, as he put a hand onto Red Rain. Keeping her axe close, she followed his gesture and they walked up to the door. After a moment of waiting, she raised her hand and knocked twice. “Hello?”, she yelled. “Anyone home? We're two travellers in search of shelter. There's a storm coming, after all”

They both had to wait for a little longer, as heavy footsteps sounded from the other side of the door. An older man opened this time, a bit on the heavy side, with grey hair and a thick, scruffy beard. He had his eyes narrowed, as he tilted his head. “Travellers, huh?”, he asked and Kyra gave him a nod. “We were on our way to Harrenhal when the storm surprised us”, she told him.

This caused a frown to appear on the man's face, but he stepped aside. “Nothing good comes out of that castle”, he warned them. “You better think twice about going there, but come in for now. Wouldn't want two travellers to be alone out there during the storm”

His welcoming gesture actually caused Kyra to calm down a bit and she noticed how Gravven subtly put Red Rain back into its scabbard, well-hidden beneath the cloak. “Come in then”, the old man said. “We don't have much for you, but perhaps a bit of soup to warm you, if that is alright”

“Soup sounds nice”, Kyra said, while Gravven remained silent. She gulped, as she saw the look in his eyes. He had never been one to go out of his way to be brutal, but at the same time, once craving for battle, it was hard to satisfy him without granting it to him. And if Damon was right, these people were responsible for the death of a dozen good Ironborn. Just... how?

There was a third man in the building and he caught Kyra's attention. He had the bloated face of a man who had aged prematurely, with greying hair and a pasty skin colour. A sullen look was on his face and he barely greeted them with a nod. The crutches next to his chair made it clear to her whom he was. Herman Irons, a Son of the Trident, crippled in the same battle that had brought them Addam Wode. A wanted man and supposedly the one behind the death of her men.

A thin, cold smirk flashed over Gravven's face, though it died down the moment the boy came back, still wide-eyed and fearful. “Father, who are they?”, he asked and the farmer put a hand onto his sons shoulders. “Guests”, he spoke. “Go and get soup for them” He gave the two a long, deep look, before he sighed. “My name is Barnell Nednock, this is my son, Neil”

“And you are?”, Gravven asked gruffly and finally, Herman's attention was right on him. “I don't think we have to play games”, he said. “I know who you are and why you are here” He put a hand onto his chest. “My name is Herman Irons and I have reason to believe you want me”

Kyra raised an eyebrow. “And whom are we?”, she asked, to which Herman leant back. “He described you well. Told me a woman would come, beautiful, raven-haired and pale as the first snow. Kyra Greyjoy, are you not?” He narrowed his eyes, as he looked at Gravven. “He did not mention you thought”

“He?”, Gravven growled and Kyra tensed up. Damon... he must have planned this. He had expected her to meet Irons after all eventually. He had warned the man, he must have. This meant she was playing by his rules after all, doing what he had expected her to do. But for what goal? Why would he?

“Never said his name”, Herman replied calmly, to Kyra's relief. Either he was protecting her brother, or he truly had no idea. But was she willing to take any chances? That was something she was not so sure about. And suddenly she realized the danger bringing Gravven along posed. If Herman indeed knew more, all it took was a single word and her loyal second-in-command would know about Damon's plans. And that would be dangerous, to him, to Damon, even to her.

“You're awfully chatty”, she said and Herman shrugged, a sluggish movement that caused him visible pain. “I hope you hear me out”, he said. “At least I hope that you won't cut down Barnell in front of his son. They are good people and had nothing to do with this”

Gravven grinned. “Sure”, he said. “The cripple did it all by himself. A dozen guards, that's what you're saying?” Herman shook his head. “I had farmhands helping me”, he said. “But they are not here now. Barnell sent them to Harroway, the moment we knew you'd come. Safer there, I'd hate to be the cause of their death”

“You should have thought about that before you killed a dozen of our men”, Gravven growled and Herman sighed. “Listen, I knew the moment I went out to do this that it'd be my end”, he said. “I am not afraid to die. In fact, it's the reason why I welcome you so readily. My role in our rebellion ended the moment I hung Edgar the Turncoat and avenged Lord Wode's death. I was never destined to be the one to free our people, but at least I was able to avenge our leader”

“How did you do it?”, Kyra asked and Herman sighed. “The cloaked stranger told me”, he said. “He approached me and let me know that he'd help me with killing Edgar. Told me it'd cost my life, but what sort of a life am I left with? My legs are ruined thanks to your kind. I'll never walk on my own again" There was bitterness in his voice and he sighed. "Of course I accepted. The life of a cripple is nothing when compared to revenge. And so we came and your men were sleeping, Edgar among them. Poisoned, I suppose, they didn't even put up a fight as we cut their throats. Some of your guards were caught in the fray, but they were Ironborn, so I do not mourn their passing”

“Cloaked stranger...”, Gravven mumbled. “You had help from within the walls?” His eyes widened and Kyra noticed once more that for all his brutish behaviour, there was a sharp mind inside his head. He was unlikely to figure out Damon's involvement, but it was already dangerous that he did know about an inside source for Herman's plans.

In fact, this was new to Kyra as well though, even if it all made sense now. Damon... for whatever reason, his desire to overthrow the Hoare's had made it necessary that a dozen of her men would die, killed by the Sons of the Trident and now that it has been done, he was fine with throwing Herman to the rats, to silence the only man knowing about his involvement in all this. She just knew, she'd have a long, angry talk with her brother once she'd return to Harrenhal.

“I had”, Herman confirmed. “Listen, I am willing to tell you everything I know. As I said, the moment I ended Edgar's life, I knew my own was forfeit. All I'm trying to do now is to leave innocents out of this. Barnell took no part in this. His only crime is that he saved my life after you animals butchered me and left me to die” He leant forwards, a pleading expression in his gaze. “Please, spare them and I will go with you without resisting”

Kyra smirked coldly. “You won't be able to put up much resistance either way”, she reminded him. “How's the leg doing these days?” However, she had to agree, the death of innocents was not necessary on this day. Gravven threw a glare at Barnell Nednock, who had just left the small back room, a worried expression on his face. “Will you fight back?”, he growled.

For a moment, it seemed that Barnell was willing to do just that, but Herman gave him an urging look. “Barnell, we spoke about this”, he warned him. “These people will cut you down in the blink of an eye, right in front of Neil. Just stand down, let me take care of the rest”

Barnell gulped, but he indeed gave them a nod. “I won't fight back, if you swear to spare me and my son”, he brought up. Gravven sighed, almost disappointed. “I won't get a good fight then”, he complained. “But fine. Never liked cutting you folk down either way. There's no glory in that” With these words, he glared at Herman Irons. “You though... I think we have quite the grudge with you”

Herman sighed. “Can't even blame you”, he admitted. “What are you going to do now?” Gravven looked at Kyra. “You want to question him?”, he asked. “Doesn't sound like he knows more, so we can end it right here if you want to” He looked from her to Herman. “Or we take him in. If he knows more, then a stay in the dungeons will surely get it out of him. Would mean we can make his punishment a bit more public as well”

“No doubt Harlan would love that”, Kyra mumbled, as she herself was not sure how to react. She had expected a fight, but what she had gotten here was a man fully confessing his deeds and accepting her judgement. A man who deserved to die, for killing her men, even if it was done to avenge his leader. A man who should be publicly hanged. But at the same time, he knew about Damon, if not his name then at least enough to maybe clue the wrong people in about her brother's ambition. Gravven hadn't caught onto the connection beyond the superficial information Herman had shared with them already, but maybe Harrick would, or the king himself... Maybe his knowledge was too dangerous for her family to leave him alive and as such, Kyra was presented with a choice she didn't want to make.

[Kill Herman] [Take Herman prisoner]

• [Kill Herman The man is willing to die, has fulfilled his purpose, and she needs to protect her brother, or at least shift the blame.

Watching all the things Kyra did while drunk would be amusing to watch.
    Harrick is probably the most decent Hoare since Harmund the Handsome (although far less naive). House Hoare is a family full of contradictions; some were raiders, killers and rapists, while others were wise, progressive, cunning or manipulative, but never boring.

• edited April 2018

[Kill Herman] Let's not tempt the fate and just put an end to this now. If we keep Herman alive now, I have a feeling the Hoares won't let him die before he identifies his inside source, and I don't see that boding well for Kyra. I don't see Damon as a good person at all, but I do support his cause against the Hoares, even if he is doing it for selfish reasons.

Man, this didn't go at all like I imagined, but it was a pretty interesting twist. It also shows that Damon really is a step ahead of his sister, which was undeniably pretty cool to see. And I do like Herman from what little we see of him here, which makes me a bit doubtful regarding my choice, but I'll stick to it. After all, his death in Harrenhal would only be more cruel.

Kyra Kyra awoke with a headache, a groan and with the desire to never even look at another drink for the rest of her life. Barely able to

• [Kill Herman]

Kyra Kyra awoke with a headache, a groan and with the desire to never even look at another drink for the rest of her life. Barely able to

• ****(Kill Herman)****

• Watching all the things Kyra did while drunk would be amusing to watch.

I actually thought about including such a part, but decided against it in the end, even though I would have liked to give more screentime to Durren Stallhart. There is definitely going to be more time for that later though. For now, I considered it important to start the truly important part of her storyline for this chapter, which is her dealing with Herman Irons and Damon's involvement in all this.

Harrick is probably the most decent Hoare since Harmund the Handsome (although far less naive). House Hoare is a family full of contradictions; some were raiders, killers and rapists, while others were wise, progressive, cunning or manipulative, but never boring.

That is probably indeed true, Harrick is certainly more decent than any Hoare in the last three generations, but this can be tracked down to him being influenced by Riverlander views and seeing them as more than just tools to rule over. The rest of the Hoare's in this generation at least does preciously little to get rid of their bad reputation and the fact that most of them were raiders, killers and rapists as opposed to the few who were actually trying to lead their people away from their crude traditions makes the whole house understandably despised despite the work he puts into giving them a better standing among their subjects.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

[Kill Herman The man is willing to die, has fulfilled his purpose, and she needs to protect her brother, or at least shift the blame. Wat

• Man, this didn't go at all like I imagined, but it was a pretty interesting twist. It also shows that Damon really is a step ahead of his sister, which was undeniably pretty cool to see. And I do like Herman from what little we see of him here, which makes me a bit doubtful regarding my choice, but I'll stick to it. After all, his death in Harrenhal would only be more cruel.

Glad you liked this twist! Damon is indeed several steps ahead of Kyra, who, for as intelligent as she can be, is still nothing more than either his or Harren's servant. While she's doing her duty, even just mindless tasks, he is plotting and his full involvement in the whole Herman Irons situation will be revealed later in this chapter for certain. And you bring up an important argument here. Bringing him back to Harrenhal would be fully upholding the law of the king, but it would be far from merciful for Herman, as he is pretty much guaranteed to get tortured for information, fun and/or revenge in that case. Killing him now isn't a particularly great ending for him either, but he did his part in the Riverlands uprising and he considers his purpose to be fulfilled, so he would not die with regrets.

[Kill Herman] Let's not tempt the fate and just put an end to this now. If we keep Herman alive now, I have a feeling the Hoares won't let h

• [Take Herman prisoner]

Fuck Damon, but I guess it's pretty much destined that he's gonna take over the Iron Islands one way or another. I hope Gravven doesn't end up getting himself killed from knowing too much.

• [Kill Herman]

• edited April 2018

[Kill Herman] He'll die either way and it seems implied that he'll suffer the other way and I don't think he deserves that, even if Kyra thinks so. Plus, I like Damon.

Man, I hated that beginning. But obviously that's because of personal preference and not because of bad writing. I can see Harrick most likely wants to confess his feelings. Gosh, if there's a choice to decide if Kyra returns these feelings and it wins, I might just lose it.

I'm beginning to think that Damon might be a potential ally for Garthon, though that would obviously really complicate things with Kyra. I'm dreading how this whole conflict might turn out.

• I actually wouldn't go as far as to say it is set in stone. While I will not even give the tiniest of spoiler about Damon's potential fate beyond the fact that it will be potentially decided by your choices, I can say that he is not a character existing in the source material, so his fate is entirely up to me. Or, actually, up to you, because your choices will certainly influence his future path to a degree. You bring up a very reasonable concern here though, Gravven has taken notice of something that is potentially dangerous. Kyra has realized this and if she actually kills Herman right here, protecting her friend and loyal second-in-command from learning too much will definitely be part of her own reasoning.

DiverseGnu posted: »

[Take Herman prisoner] Fuck Damon, but I guess it's pretty much destined that he's gonna take over the Iron Islands one way or another. I hope Gravven doesn't end up getting himself killed from knowing too much.

• He'll die either way and it seems implied that he'll suffer the other way and I don't think he deserves that, even if Kyra thinks so. Plus, I like Damon.

I am actually surprised you like Damon, I was not sure if I have portrayed him in a positive light so far. For sure though, he will have his moments later on, he isn't just some smug schemer who plots to overthrow the Hoare's for his own gain, even if this is part of his motivation. But you are right, if Herman will be brought to Harrenhal, it is implied his death will be a lot more gruesome. Kyra is a killer, but she isn't cruel, so she'll make it quick despite her personal grudge against this man. The same cannot be said about Holt Torv, whom you might remember as Harren's chief torturer from Book 1. If Kyra bring Herman in, it'll be the more lawful option, but it should be clear here, the law she'd uphold has been written by a cruel tyrant and one way or the other, actual justice might be impossible to find in this case.

Man, I hated that beginning. But obviously that's because of personal preference and not because of bad writing. I can see Harrick most likely wants to confess his feelings. Gosh, if there's a choice to decide if Kyra returns these feelings and it wins, I might just lose it.

Hehe, I expected you to disapprove of this beginning =) At this point, I'd say Kyra and Harrick are more friends with benefits though. It's a regular thing between them, but it does not go much further. At least that is the case for Kyra. It has been implied that Harrick feels more for her. Her own feelings are more complex here. Undoubtedly, Harrick is pleasant and charming and she enjoys his company, but she is not exactly the type to settle down, so I hope I made it clear, she is heavily conflicted about her own feelings, but it is very likely they don't go as deep as Harrick's feelings for her. If this will change later on, potentially even due to your choices, that remains to be seen.

I'm beginning to think that Damon might be a potential ally for Garthon, though that would obviously really complicate things with Kyra. I'm dreading how this whole conflict might turn out.

This is an interesting thought. Surely, they do have a common enemy and you know what they say about the enemy of my enemy. Damon is already somewhat working with at least Herman Irons' chapter of the Sons of the Trident, so it is definitely not impossible to believe he might be in contact with the main chapter as well. He has no interest in the Riverlands, which also means his ultimate goals could easily fit into the Sons' plans. And considering that Garthon is currently working for them, a potential alliance with Damon Greyjoy is not unthinkable. They already had a brief interaction in Chapter 6 and Garthon knows about Damon's ambition, so they definitely aren't enemies at this point. At the same point, he currently has no reason to doubt Rell Vessels' claim that Garthon has died during the raid. Kyra's position in this conflict is a difficult one though. She is not an enemy of House Hoare, neither is she an enemy of Damon, albeit she can be counted as an enemy to the Sons of the Trident to a certain degree, showing how complicated the alliances in the Riverlands can be. Loyalty is an important part of her character, so if Garthon is revealed to be alive and actively working against her king, she would definitely feel some conflict there.

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Kill Herman] He'll die either way and it seems implied that he'll suffer the other way and I don't think he deserves that, even if Kyra thi

• I don't know if I can say Damon was necessarily introduced in a positive light but I think he's interesting and I enjoy his relationship with Kyra.

He'll die either way and it seems implied that he'll suffer the other way and I don't think he deserves that, even if Kyra thinks so. Plus,

• [Kill Herman] Murder! Kill!

“Well, you did challenge Durren Stallhart to a drinking contest”, Harrick replied. “Not embarrassing, but recklessly stupid” Kyra sighed. “Explaines the headache”, she gulped and as she looked up, she carefully looked at Harrick's face. Darkly handsome, his eyes equal parts menacing and fascinating... and with a fresh bruise on his cheek. “And you got punched yesterday”

HAIL DURREN STALLHART!

• [Kill Herman]

• edited April 2018

[Kill Herman] The confrontation with the Sons of the Trident went, surprisingly, a lot smoother than I actually thought. What a shame, Gravven and Red Rain would've loved to bathe in fish blood but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be, here's hoping there'll be future chances of that happening :'( I gotta say, as much as I'm tempted to pick the other option over this one just to give a "fuck you" to Damon, I don't really want to risk Gravven's life over this. Not that I don't think he wouldn't be able to defend himself, but Damon is a tricky cunt, who knows what schemes he's hiding under his sleeves. Seems like Gravven knows (or at least suspects) that something is up, and like it or not, he already knows that the Sons had help from the inside and that whoever helped them knew Kyra would go meet them at some point.

• The confrontation with the Sons of the Trident went, surprisingly, a lot smoother than I actually thought. What a shame, Gravven and Red Rain would've loved to bathe in fish blood but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be, here's hoping there'll be future chances of that happening :'(

Aye, Gravven expected a different situation as well and he definitely dressed for battle. While he, as he mentioned, wouldn't have found joy in cutting down some peasants, he fully expected Sons of the Trident. That being said, war is coming to the Riverlands, so you can bet he'll get plenty of opportunities to get a good blood bath, fairly soon actually ;)

I gotta say, as much as I'm tempted to pick the other option over this one just to give a "fuck you" to Damon, I don't really want to risk Gravven's life over this. Not that I don't think he wouldn't be able to defend himself, but Damon is a tricky cunt, who knows what schemes he's hiding under his sleeves. Seems like Gravven knows (or at least suspects) that something is up, and like it or not, he already knows that the Sons had help from the inside.

Yeah, this is something that needs to be taken into consideration. Gravven's loyalties in all this might not be fully established so far, if he'd be loyal to Kyra or Harren in a hypothetical worst case scenario, but that doesn't change the fact that the knowledge alone is already dangerous. Damon is ambitious and absolutely ruthless, so he is careful whom to tell more about his plans. At worst, he could very well decide that Gravven knowing about his treachery is too much of a risk. So far, there isn't more than a suspicion that someone high-ranking inside the castle is working with the Sons, but Gravven has no reason to suspect Damon yet and in return, Damon does not know that Gravven even has this suspicion. However, since Kyra clearly cares for him, making sure that he doesn't get himself killed simply by knowing too much will be another difficulty she has to face in her parts.

[Kill Herman] The confrontation with the Sons of the Trident went, surprisingly, a lot smoother than I actually thought. What a shame, Gravv

• The Voting is closed!

Kyra is going to kill Herman Irons

This was actually a really important choice, affecting in some way quite a number of characters, among them Damon, Kyra, Gravven and obviously Herman himself. I myself would say this is the kinder fate for him. If he would have been captured, I'd would have been given more opportunity to develop him a bit, but he is not exactly a character that needs major development, I believe. However, his death now will be quick and painless, whereas his death in Harrenhal's dungeons would have been anything but. It will also prevent him from revealing more, or giving the wrong person an idea of what is truly going on in Harrenhal. Gravven already has an idea and that is dangerous enough on its own, but sometimes, ignorance is bliss and him not knowing more will at least not place him in further danger.

The next part will be out today. Originally planned to be out yesterday, I got carried away with some other stuff, so there has been a slight delay. Instead, it will be out today now, with PoV's for Janae and John. Last time we saw Janae, she was on a boat up the river Rhoyne in Essos. It turns out, Abbas' plan is to let the ones pursuing him believe he intends to reach Volantis, when instead, he plans to take the harder, longer, but ultimately less expected land route through Essos. For this, he seeks to visit an old acquaintance of his, whom we will see in the next part. He and Janae also had a talk, revealing that they used to be lovers back when she has been a slave to his father and how much her actions have affected him, as she not only left him despite him truly loving her, but also murdered his father and nearly ruined his entire family as a result. Janae, while obviously not forgiving Abbas for his own actions, decided to apologize at last, as she does indeed feel a bit guilty towards the man he used to be. Her next part will start there, however, the bulk of it will actually be set a couple hours later. Meanwhile, John and Temari separated from Jaron and Samuel in Lys, to arrange for a ship out of the city, while Jaron and Samuel were supposed to recruit Arryn Blackwell to their cause. Eventually, the two decided to check out a local tavern, quite a bad place as Temari put it, in the hopes of finding a captain willing to take them out of Lys and to Volantis.

• Janae

“I...”, Janae began, before she paused. She took a deep breath, as she tensed up. And then she did what might have been the hardest thing in her entire life. “I am sorry”, she said. “I... never meant any of this. All I wanted was my freedom”

Abbas did not react. His fists clenched, he had his back turned towards her and at first, she thought he'd focus on the landscape. However, a glance revealed that he had his eyes closed, his face a bitter frown. She sighed, slightly raising her hand, as a memory of the man he used to be appeared in her mind. Then, it was gone and she lowered her hand again. Slowly, she turned around, leaving him to his thoughts.

The sun was already setting when the ship arrived at the small port. It wasn't a town, more a fortified manor, lying on the shores of the Rhoyne. There was a wall around it and fields inside, tended to by dozens of workers. The manor itself was magnificent, four stories high and worthy of a king over in Westeros. Here in Essos, she knew it could only belong to a merchant. Considering the man they meant to meet was a friend of Abbas, there was only one good he could possibly trade with.

Indeed, she saw that the men working on the field were slaves, rather strong looking at that, but with familiar collars around their necks. She herself had one of these collars now and Abbas held the chain attached to it, while Haar was dragging Harpy and Behara with him. Bakr was walking next to Abbas, while Ryder was the last in line, as the ship was successfully tied to the pier. A small gate separated it from the area behind the mansion, though it stood open and Abbas walked confidently towards the building.

A man approached them from the mansion, walking past the fields over a dusty road. He was a skinny man, though dressed in boiled leather, with bronze skin and a bald head. His face was plain and stern, lacking any expression, as he swiftly came closer, with the stride of a soldier. Indeed he was carrying a spear with him, as well as a small shield.

Abbas slowed down, his grip around the chain tightening and Janae frowned as she felt its weight around her neck. It was something she had thought she'd never feel again and it filled her with dread. Though she knew better than to resist right now. Harpy did not and she nestled at her collar, causing Haar to harshly yank her forward. “Don't touch the collar”, he growled.

Finally, the man had reached them, as several slaves took a brief moment to look at the newcomers. He saluted firmly, his face still showing no sign of emotion. “This one has the honour to lead you to the Master”, he said in guttural Ghiscari and Janae understood at once. The martial stance, the lack of emotion, the man was Unsullied. In fact, as she looked past him, she spotted several additional guards who shared his weaponry and equipment.

The fact did not escape Bakr. The Astapori grinned widely, as he pushed past Abbas and Janae. “Aha!”, he roared. “You are one of mine, are you not? Remember me?” The Unsullied narrowed his eyes as he thought, then he nodded. “This one remembers Bakr al-Astapori”, he greeted him. “This one is named Dreck Rat and he was sold to Master Goranero five years ago”

“Aye, that's about right”, Bakr chuckled. “How many of you are still here? Has been a great deal!” He gave Dreck Rat a wide smile, but the Unsullied did not respond to it with any expression. “All twenty”, he said. “Men fear Unsullied in these parts. Master Goranero had no troubles in years”

Bakr patted the man on the back and once more, Dreck Rat showed no sign of even acknowledging the gesture. Taking a step aside, he beckoned them to follow, as he took the lead, his stride firm and fast-paced. Abbas followed, Bakr walking next to him. Janae kept behind, as much as the chain allowed her, while Harpy and Behara walked next to her, with Haar and Ryder behind.

As Janae glanced at Behara, she noticed the girl was staring at the ground, trying to avoid looking at the slaves on the fields. “Hey...”, she said, trying to gain her attention and indeed, she looked up. Janae gave her a soft smile. “This will not be your fate”, she promised, with as much strength as she could muster. It was true even, no matter what would happen. Even if they wouldn't escape, Behara just wasn't made for field work. But it wouldn't happen. If there was one thing Janae swore to herself, it was that Behara would be spared such a fate.

“No playing with the collar”, Haar growled, yanking the chain he held Harpy with closer towards him. With this, he also dragged Behara closer and the girl stumbled, causing Janae to reach out to hold her. Harpy shot a glare into the direction of the sellsword and the man merely shrugged. “Or else I make it tighter”, he threatened her.

With this, he put a hand onto Behara's shoulder and the girl tensed up. “You know, you'd all be less insufferable if you would have to focus on breathing”, he told them. “Or if you'd choke on something” Harpy narrowed her eyes. “Why don't you choke on something?”, she spat.

Haar stopped dead in his tracks and Janae was dragged away from Behara as Abbas continued without even bothering to acknowledge what was happening behind him. “What did you say?”, he growled and Harpy stared at him defiantly. Before the sellsword could react, Ryder Harrington walked up behind him. “Haar, calm down”, he spoke. “This is not the right time”

The other man glared at him, before shrugging. “Fine”, he spat, before he pushed Harpy and Behara forwards. Janae meanwhile had forcibly advanced on the path, fields on both sides, with sturdy slaves harvesting... something? She wasn't really an expert on plants, but whatever was growing here wasn't wheat.

Four Unsullied stood guard in front of the mansion itself, wearing helmets and presenting their spears, as they stood without movement. Dreck Rat walked past them, quickly jogging up the stairs, with Abbas and Bakr close by. He opened the door, before standing aside and allowing the guests to enter first.

Behind was an elegant hallway, of the kind Janae had seen in the brief moments where she had been a guest to the high lords of Essos. It was a wide hallway, made out of grey marble, adorned by red tapestries, white statues and paintings. The air was refreshingly cool inside, albeit it was gloomy. Small chandeliers illuminated the path and Dreck Rat walked past a few closed doors, before stopping in front of an open one.

“Master, your guests have arrived”, he said and stepped aside, allowing them to look into the room. It was a rather large, round meeting room, with a central table as its most prominent piece of furniture. Two men were sitting at it. One of them was wiry man, tall and with dark brown skin. His black hair was tied into a ponytail and dark brown eyes were glancing at them out of his long, pointy face. Clad in red and black, he had his arms crossed, the hands resting on two whips in his lap.

The other man stood up from his chair. He was shorter and a bit on the heavy side, his curly hair already beginning to grey and bald, even if his smooth, olive skin made a guess about his true age quite hard, as did the white, cheerful grin on his face. He was clad in several layers of fine silk and as he moved, the strong smell of perfume filled the air.

“Abbas!”, he exclaimed and he spread his arms, a gesture which Abbas reciprocated, as they hugged. “Goranero!”, the Ghiscari added. “It is a pleasure to meet you again, old friend” Goranero smiled. “Likewise! And is this Bakr?”, he asked, as he chuckled, extending a hand to greet the other slaver. “It has been so long, I am glad you could make it”

The other man rose from his chair as well. “Abbas and Bakr”, he spoke, his Ghiscari impeccable and unlike Goranero's without even the hint of an accent. “The name is Vanis zo Narrn, pleased to make your acquaintance” Abbas seemed surprised at the man's presence, though his smile remained. “Another Ghiscari!”, he said. “What a pleasant surprise. What leads you here?”

Vanis shrugged. “Business”, he growled. “Goranero informed me about your arrival and I decided to prolong my own stay at his estate for another day to meet you. Outside of Slaver's Bay, we have to stick together” A charming smile appeared on his face, though Janae tensed up as she noticed the hungry look in his eyes, as he gazed at the three chained women. “Besides, I do have a question for you, but I suppose we should talk about this later on”

Goranero smiled, as he offered chairs to both men. As Abbas and Bakr sat down, Ryder and Haar remained standing, with the former taking over the chain around Janae's neck from Abbas. “You have been rather cryptic in your message, my friend”, Goranero said. “What leads you to my humble estate?”

To this, Abbas smiled. “I would like to call in on your debt”, he said at once and Goranero's smile froze in place, still impeccable, but otherwise without even the tiniest hint of joy. “Splendid”, he pressed through his teeth. “This means you are in trouble, right?”

“You know me too well”, Abbas replied. “But indeed, I need your help, my friend. After this, consider us even” Goranero sighed and now, his smile grew smaller. “What can I do for you?”, he asked and satisfied, Abbas leant back in his chair.

“I am being followed”, he said. “These three women whom I caught, they have loved ones and I have reason to believe they are currently chasing after me” His smirk widened. “And I want you help me with throwing them off my track. You owe me this much”

Goranero sighed again, before he nodded. “Yeah, I suppose I do”, he admitted. “Let us have dinner and then we shall discuss how I may help you with this” He pulled a small bell out of the depths of his tunic, ringing it and after a second, a servant appeared. “Arrange for dinner for my guests”, he spoke and looked around. “That would be three... five” He hesitated for a moment and Abbas shook his head. “Not the women”, he growled. “They are slaves”

Vanis raised an eyebrow. “Slaves, huh?”, he said with a cold smirk. “Forgive my confusion, I thought them to be mere prisoners. After all, isn't it customary for them to kneel when encountering a master?”

“You got a point”, Abbas admitted. “Janae, kneel!” He gave Janae a cold glare and she returned it in kind, yet she knew he wasn't kidding. What she wasn't sure about was if she should remain stubborn here though. Her not kneeling would cause him to lose face in front of the other slavers. Yet it would undoubtedly provoke his wrath and she wasn't sure if it was worth it.

[Kneel] [Remain standing]

John

The tavern was just as John remembered. Loud, full and hot, it had three stories, though the large taproom itself reached all the way up to the roof. Half a tavern and half a brothel it had plenty rooms on the upper floors for patrons to enjoy themselves a bit more thoroughly, while the taproom was filled with drunkards and cheap women of all shapes and colours. In the centre of the room, a makeshift fighting pit has been opened, with men all around cheering on the two combatants. In short, it was a place exactly to his liking.

Widely grinning, John walked around, grabbing a beer from one of the barmaids and slipping a coin down her ample cleavage in return. She gave him a wink, before disappearing in the crowd again and John, smiling blissfully, took a deep gulp from his beer. It was strong, but not bad. Another thing that was just to his liking.

“You know, you used to enjoy these places as well”, he said as he noticed Temari's continuous frown, even after two beautiful, dark-skinned women took notice of him, one of them even putting a hand onto his shoulder while the other smiled at John. With an annoyed sigh, Temari shook her off and both women, narrowing their eyes, walked away to seek other customers.

“And I wonder how you still can”, he growled. “Behara is out there and she needs my help. Janae is with here and we have no guarantee either of them is even still alive by the time we catch up to them. Sammy and Jaro are gone, I'lian is fucking dead” He sighed. “It's just you and me left and frankly, I can't just act as if nothing happened”

John shrugged. To be fair, it was tearing him apart, every waking hour, every day, but places like these, they were only more welcome as a result, because they gave him something other to think about. He could get some peace of mind for once, if only for a few short moments. After all, he knew that if he wanted to have any chance at saving Janae, he had to prevent himself from completely loosing it in the process.

“You don't have to”, he said. “Yet at the same time, you won't help anyone if you freak out, if you tire yourself until you collapse. We all need rest some times, something else on our minds. Besides, we are not exactly having a blast right now, we have come here to find a captain. Is it so hard to enjoy what this place has to offer while we're doing it?”

Temari narrowed his eyes. “Not for you, it seems”, he hissed and turned away, as he looked across the taproom. His words had cut deeper than John wanted to admit and the flicker of good mood he had felt when entering the building had faded by now, replaced by the same desperate worry he had felt for most of the past months.

The first person he approached was the nearest barmaid, a woman in her thirties whose considerable beauty was hidden beneath thick layers of colour, her hair a dirty blonde. “Can I help you with anything, honey?”, she asked and John forced a grin, as she raised the mug. “Not with this”, he spoke and she chuckled. “Oh, I'm afraid I'm not on the menu today”, she chirped. “But I can make some introductions. We have someone for your type, I'm sure of it”

He shook his head. “Nah, tempting as it is, gotta decline”, he told her. “I'm looking for someone. Me and my men, we need a ship off this island, to Volantis” What used to be a sweet smile faded at once. “Don't speak too loudly then”, she warned him. “We don't take too kindly to the Volantene around here”

“So I've heard”, John admitted. “And I know, most of your captains don't go anywhere near that city. Wouldn't ask if it wouldn't be important though. Fuck politics, I'm willing to pay any sum required, but I need to get there as soon as possible” With these words, he pulled out a silver coin, holding it between his fingers so that she could see it.

The barmaid sighed, her smile returning. “You really know what a girl wants to hear”, she complimented him, as she looked around. “It won't be easy though. Most locals, they have lost a lot, but never their pride. They won't travel to Volantis unless you buy the whole ship and, don't take it personally, but I doubt you can pay that much”

“But?”, John asked, expecting her to say more. She shrugged. “But you're not looking for a local”, she stated. “Might even be the kind of people you're used to. Pirates, I mean” John shook his head. “Can't say I'm used to them, but neither do I disapprove”, he told her. “Anyone in particular?”

He showed her a second coin and this did the trick. “Quite an odd one, for a pirate”, she told him. “Goes by the name Aidan Storm. Westerosi, like you, but with experience in these waters. Pays tribute to Aeron Blacksails”

“So a big shot”, John stated. “Can I trust him?” The barmaid shook her head. “Not more than you'd trust any man, but there's worse than Aidan. He pays well and we never had trouble with him in here. Don't know how he is aboard his ship, but well, I've never heard complaints”

John handed her one of the coins. “That could mean two things”, he said. “But I suppose I gotta try my luck with the man. Where can I find him?” With a grin, the woman grabbed the coin and quickly hid it in her purse. Then, she pointed across the taproom, over to the fighting pit. “He's sitting there”, she told him. “Watches the fight. Pretty boy, brown-haired. Has odd eyes”

“Odd?”, John asked, as he gave her the other coin. “Looks like a blind man, but don't let that fool you. He can see perfectly well”, she told him, as she smirked. “I suppose if you don't want to buy a drink or a girl, this is goodbye though. Good luck out there, honey, with whatever you may look for”

He gave her a nod as they parted ways. Throughout their talk, Temari had watched them with a frown, but now he came closer. “A pirate then”, he snarled. “You sure that's the sort of man we can trust?” John shook his head. “I am not sure about anything, Tem”, he admitted. “But we have to give him a chance, I'm afraid. At least we should try to talk to the man”

Temari tensed up, though he grabbed John's forearm. “Pirates are pretty much slavers themselves. Careful what you tell him. He might develop sympathy for Abbas if he knows why we truly want to get to Volantis”, he warned him. “Lie to him if you must, but avoid dangerous topics in general. Tell him too much about our weakness and he'll use it against us”

John shook him off. “Not the first pirate I negotiate with”, he growled. “You don't have to tell me how to deal with their kind. Just stand back and let me handle this. Maybe you'll learn a trick or two” He winked, before he approached the fighting pit. The two fighters were both a bit overweight, but stacked with muscles, their heads shaven clean, as they charged at each other. They were clearly shockingly strong, yet slow at the same time and John knew, he could take either of them.

It did not take him long to spot the man the barmaid described to him. Slightly taller than average, he had a wiry build and sun-kissed skin. His dark brown hair fell down his shoulders, the edges a bit lighter than the root and his features were soft and actually pretty, making him seem a bit younger than he probably truly was. He had a grin on his face as he watched the combatants, though what threw John off for a moment were his eyes. As the woman had warned him, he indeed looked like a blind man, his iris grey and clouded. His gaze wandered a bit, settling somewhere above the two fighters with an expression of bewilderment.

“Ahem”, John cleared his throat, to gain the man's attention. “Are you Aidan Storm, the captain?” The man only now seemed to have noticed him and he looked at him out of his strange eyes, as he raised an eyebrow. His smile did not grow smaller though. “Ah, I recognize that accent”, he spoke. “Greetings to you, my Westerosi friend” Quickly and not even trying to hide his identity, he placed a hand on his chest. “Why indeed, I am Aidan Storm. Who are you, mate?”

In a jovial manner, he offered John the chair next to him, while glancing at Temari. “And you as well, come closer” Temari was still frowning, albeit he seemed to be slightly confused by Aidan's eyes, a fact the pirate took with a smirk.

“John Gutten”, John introduced himself. “I was told you have a ship” Aidan nodded. “Aye, the Sparrowhawk”, he said, not without pride. “Finest ship both sides of the Narrow Sea. Fast, yet sturdy, the kind that can avoid trouble, or cause it if that's how I feel” He pointed right at John now, his grin growing into a smaller smirk. “Actually, don't take it personal, but you look like trouble as well. Hope you don't mind me saying that”

John shook his head. “I don't”, he spoke. “Though I hope that's not a problem” Aidan chuckled. “Why would it?”, he asked. “Just stated a fact. You two, you look like trouble, oh yes. But I bet you're my kind of trouble. So, what do you say, we sit down, have a few drinks and you tell me why you have approached me”

“Can tell you right away”, Temari interjected. “We need a ship to Volantis, as soon as possible” Aidan flashed him a grin. “Oh, today's your lucky day then, One-Eye”, he chirped. “Because, believe it or not, I have a ship and unlike most of the people here, I got no issue with the Volantenes. Got some despicable habits, but there's decent folk among them as well”

“So... that means you take passengers?”, John asked and Aidan chuckled. “Not passengers who idle”, he said. “Pay me a fee and work on the ship and you and your friend are welcome aboard. The Sparrowhawk has the best crew in the known world, but we could always use a couple extra hands. How many would you be?”

John thought about this for a moment. Optimistically, he just went ahead and assumed that Jaron would manage to win Arryn Blackwell for their cause. “Five”, he replied. “Ready to leave as soon as possible. We have business in Volantis that requires us to get there swiftly. You mentioned your ship is a fast one?”

Aidan shrugged. “Eh, faster than most”, he said and his unsettling gaze wandered around the room, as he narrowed his eyes. “Actually, there could be something you have to do for me as well, if you want my service to bring you to Volantis” To this statement, John narrowed his eye. “What?”, he growled and Aidan leant back. “There is some business I need to take care of and I need faces not associated with my crew to pull it off. You look like you can handle yourself in a fight. May I guess... sellsword?”

“Correct”, John admitted. “What is this thing you need to take care of? If it's not too dangerous, we're in, we really have to get off this fucking island and to Volantis” Aidan raised his eyebrows. “Yeah, you mentioned it's kinda urgent”, he said. “And this is where I have to chime in... before I tell you more about my problems, I want to know more about yours. Want to know what sort of folk I let aboard my ship, sure you understand. Consider it an experience in trust building”

This was precisely what Temari had warned him about and indeed, his companion gave him a slightly alarmed stare. John tensed up at this. Aidan had given him a decent impression. Charming, if fast-talking, but with genuine friendliness in his voice. Trusting him was not an option right now, but at the same time, how wise was it to lie to this man? And how wise was the truth, telling him anything he could use against them? After all, he barely knew him, or how he'd react.

[Tell him the truth] [Come up with a lie]

• Ah, these damn slavers really rustle my jimmies in every part they appear in, if only there was Dany to roast them to ashes or nail them to crosses :D Alas, I'll put my hope into John, Jaron & co. to succeed in taking them down.

[Kneel] Meh, as satisfying as it would be to humiliate Abbas, we have to be clever here. There is little to gain in resisting here, better just give Abbas the illusion that he is in full control of Janae, and perhaps at some point there will come an opportunity claw his eyes out and burn him at a stake... or choke him to death... or just slit his throat open, I'm not picky :D

[Tell him the truth] I seem to recall that Aidan has a dislike for slavers, so telling him the truth should make him sympathize with John and Tem.

Janae “I...”, Janae began, before she paused. She took a deep breath, as she tensed up. And then she did what might have been the hardest

• ****(Kneel)****
    ****(Come up with a lie)****

Janae “I...”, Janae began, before she paused. She took a deep breath, as she tensed up. And then she did what might have been the hardest

• [Kneel] It's not the best time to be rebellious.

[Tell him the truth] Aidan has made quite clear he doesn't like slavers, so he could be useful. Unsurprising Lyseni don't want to be near Volantis; for two generations Lys and Myr were controlled by Volantis, so there's no surprise there.

• Ah, these damn slavers really rustle my jimmies in every part they appear in, if only there was Dany to roast them to ashes or nail them to crosses :D Alas, I'll put my hope into John, Jaron & co. to succeed in taking them down.

Haha, that is a reaction to be expected :D Abbas is really not a particularly likeable man, Haar is an outright arse and the new guy, Vanis, don't expect him to win any sympathy either. Unfortunately, there's no Dany yet and Aegon doesn't really care for slavery the same way. However, John and Jaron, while far away for now, do have at least a chance in taking them down, albeit it will definitely be quite a hard task.

I seem to recall that Aidan has a dislike for slavers, so telling him the truth should make him sympathize with John and Tem.

You remember correctly, Aidan is the one who has previously stated a dislike for slavers. If this is enough for him to sympathize with John remains to be seen though. He is still a pirate after all, so him trying to profit from a situation is still to be expected.

Ah, these damn slavers really rustle my jimmies in every part they appear in, if only there was Dany to roast them to ashes or nail them to

• Unsurprising Lyseni don't want to be near Volantis; for two generations Lys and Myr were controlled by Volantis, so there's no surprise there.

Aye and there's also the thing that the recent war against Volantis, the one that ended up freeing the two cities, also had the consequence of effectively crippling Lys' economy. The rather poor state of the Lysene economy at the time is still the aftermath of the slavery business collapsing as a result of the war and Absidee of Lys carefully orchestrating a trade war against the city. As such, many Lysene see the Volantene at fault and blame them for their misery, so the city, its inhabitants and all those who have business there are seen in a very negative light.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

[Kneel] It's not the best time to be rebellious. [Tell him the truth] Aidan has made quite clear he doesn't like slavers, so he could be

• [Remain standing]
    [Tell him the truth]

• [Kneel]

[Come up with a lie]
    I bet Temari would be royally pissed if we just go and tell him the truth, best not to upset our friend any further.

• [Kneel]
    [Tell him the truth]

• [Kneel]

[Come up with a lie]

• [Kneel]
    [Come up with a lie]

Sign in to comment in this discussion.