Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, general discussion.

edited September 2018 in General Chat

This thread was formerly to discuss the controversy of the game but I've decided to treat it as a general and more positive thread for the game. I'll be sharing trailers, news and other videos for the game. Look below where I ask to share your thoughts for the post-controversy talk. It'll be more general and positive stuff where I describe the game and share official videos. I'll have the old stuff in bold so everyone knows which is which. Feel free to join in. :)

I don't know how many AC fans are here but I wanted to talk about this. I'm a long time AC fan so I'm pretty passionate about the subject. So since the reveal of Odyssey a lot of fans are pretty divided. AC is changing a lot and not everyone is happy about it. I'm personally all for the change as long as it still feels like AC but in a different direction. I'm really hyped for Odyssey and unlike Origins it appears to have new things and what I feel AC should be. My biggest issue with Origins (despite it being a great game) was that there was so much focus on combat and not enough on stealth. Odyssey seems to be fixing that as there are a lot more stealth talents as well as equipment that adds to stealth stats. They really want you to play your way. But still not everyone is happy about the new direction. They feel it's not AC anymore and some are outright saying this game marks the end of AC. But I just can't disagree more. I feel it's changing for the better while still retaining what makes it AC.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is the newest game to the Assassin's Creed Franchise in more ways than one. Odyssey will be having a lot of changes, such as going fully into an RPG with dialogue choices. All outfits will have stats to build your character, you choose to play either a male or a female character and you can even romance other characters! You play as either Alexios or Kassandra, a former Spartan and descendant of the Spartan Hero Leonidas. Wielding the Spear of Leonidas which happens to be an artifact of the first Civilisation gives you certain mythical abilities.

What are your thoughts on Odyssey? Feel free to share your thoughts. And if anyone's interested I'm happy to share some videos about the game. I'm really excited for it.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited June 2018

But still not everyone is happy about the new direction. They feel it's not AC anymore and some are outright saying this game marks the end of AC.

Good. Weed out the people who just want the same thing over and over again. I'd rather they continue evolving and innovating the franchise then continue what they were doing with Unity and Syndicate. While they're at it, for the love of everything just be done with the present day story it's just not interesting at all. I don't remember what any of the modern day stuff in Origins was about.

Odyssey from what I've seen and heard of so far sounds great. I had fear that it would feel like an expansion to Origins rather than it's own game, especially with how they were developed at the same time and released so closely to each other (one year gap compared to the previous two year gap between Syndicate and Origins). But from the looks of it they've changed and improved more than enough of it gameplay wise to justify its existence. It's almost a full blown RPG and I really hope they manage to pull it off.

• Well I don't agree that certain groups of fans should be alienated and I personally feel the modern story should always be present. But I do hope this is a huge success, could be a really interesting turn for the franchise.

lupinb0y posted: »

But still not everyone is happy about the new direction. They feel it's not AC anymore and some are outright saying this game marks the end

• I like what I see of Odyssey so far. I have been a fan of Assassin's Creed since the start pretty much. Due to a lot of time constraints, I have not been able to play Syndicate or Origins yet, but I hope to do that this summer.

Unity was a huge misstep for the franchise in my opinion, but with the little I have seen of Syndicate and Origins it is going back in the direction I prefer. I will definitely get Odyssey

I think it is important to innovate the franchise and bring out new ideas. If Odyssey succeeds in innovation I could not be happier, as long as it still feels like an Assassin's Creed game. Only time will tell, I suppose.

• Yeah I was a bit harsh with that. It's just a bit annoying to see people getting mad about it when Ubisoft is actually trying to do better rather than the reduce, reuse and recycle approach they were dangerously close to doing.

I personally feel the modern story should always be present.

I'm all for them continuing to do the modern day stuff if they actually made it interesting. But it's very obvious at this point that even Ubisoft doesn't want to do them and their just doing it because the previous games did it. Origins had so few of those sections and they were so short that they might as well have just been cut out of the game entirely.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Well I don't agree that certain groups of fans should be alienated and I personally feel the modern story should always be present. But I do hope this is a huge success, could be a really interesting turn for the franchise.

• Black Flag was the last good AC game.

• I should've expected it but I'm really annoyed by all the complaints about SJW's, simply because you can choose to be female and to be gay. Like it's just childish at this point and it feels more like being sexist and homophobic than being against SJW's.

• Honestly, looking at the discussion around this game, I can't help but think that the smart thing to do for Ubisoft would've been to just end the AC franchise after Syndicate and start fresh with a brand new IP focusing on historical RPGs. Because going forward they'll always be restrained by AC having a linear canon with not much room for player choices, and if they stray from that (like they seem to have with Odyssey) they piss off their hardcore fans, who will of course be very vocal with sharing their complaints and making the discussion around the games very negative.

For me it's almost silly to think that people are so concerned with Assassin's Creed canon that it prevents them from enjoying what looks like an awesome RPG experience without worrying how it fits into some larger narrative, but I guess I do get their point. I just think people these days are a bit too obsessed with what's canon and what isn't, when what truly matters is whether you enjoy the story or not - and this goes for any franchise, not just AC. But like I said, with a new IP this wouldn't even be a problem. Oh well, personally I'm gonna enjoy Odyssey nonetheless, at least if the game is as good as it looks ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• edited June 2018

What I think a lot of people are worried about is the simple fact that having choices involved doesn't really make sense in a franchise in which the player is supposedly looking back at events that already happened. I'm not as upset about this as some of these people. My main concern is what kind of impact are these choices going to have? Some are saying these choices won't have any impact on history itself. Others are saying that Ubisoft hinted at the possibility of an Animus actually being able to affect time itself. This is interesting, because the idea of the Animus actually being able to affect things in the Present has never been mentioned before. It's NEW.

• Considering how far in the past the game is, they could probably just treat it as lost history if they reference it in future games.

patrickrc95 posted: »

What I think a lot of people are worried about is the simple fact that having choices involved doesn't really make sense in a franchise in w

• I assume you're talking about the ranting about the novel that will be telling the Canon events of Odyssey? I think people take that a bit too literally. It's still the same story but showing off what choices are 'Canon' you'll still have your story and your canon. Most RPGs do this.

I don't really agree with just taking out the AC name. If they made another History franchise than people would call it an AC clone and still complain.

Honestly, looking at the discussion around this game, I can't help but think that the smart thing to do for Ubisoft would've been to just en

• I'm curious guys. I'm thinking about treating this as the 'Odyssey thread' and posting stuff for the game. Should I do that or just create another thread without the controversy?

• Well yeah, the novel telling the canon story was one thing I saw people complaining about, especially the fact that it'll make the male lead "meaningless" since he isn't canon. Like I said, people have an unhealthy obsession with the word "canon" - it's all fiction anyway =) That said, it's not just the novel, but hardcore AC fans seem to be against the RPG route altogether because it strays from the franchise's old model of linear storytelling. "We're supposed to be experiencing/re-living memories, not affecting the history with our choices", is something I've been seeing a lot. It is kind of ridiculous to see people arguing against more player agency, but I fear these complaints will continue as long as Ubi continues to incorporate RPG elements to AC. That said, I don't think dropping the Assassin's Creed name is necessary now that they've made the initial leap towards RPG, I'm just saying that maybe they should've considered it before making that leap. After all, while Assassin's Creed has a lot of name recognition (=sales), it also carries a lot of baggage from the past games.

All that said, you're completely right about some people complaining even if it was a new IP, calling it an AC clone or whatever (potentially even the same people who are now saying "just call it something else, it's not AC"), there will always be naysayers :D

I assume you're talking about the ranting about the novel that will be telling the Canon events of Odyssey? I think people take that a bit t

• I'd say keep this thread and maybe just edit the title? The conversation itself has been very civil after all.

I'm curious guys. I'm thinking about treating this as the 'Odyssey thread' and posting stuff for the game. Should I do that or just create another thread without the controversy?

• As @WildlingKing suggested (Thank you btw!) I've edited the title and decided to make the thread a general thread for the game. I've posted some official videos for the game and will continue to do so, as well as share news and other stuff. I've highlighted the former topic in bold so people can easily tell when the topic changes. I hope that those of you who are interested in the game will stick around! :)

• Check out these two videos guys! I really liked what this revealed to me. So in version A, the quest was completed by killing guards and version B was done without killing guards but the choices were the same. But the dialogue actually acknowledges if you decided to avoid killing guards. I love this as there is finally a point to knock out/avoid guards now, for those who are role-playing as someone who avoids bloodshed as much as possible.

• There was basically a whole romance available at the E3 demo in case anyone is interested:

• On top of that, here's the Thaletas romance if anyone's interested. Joraptor seems to be the only one who actually did his romance. :p

• bit odd that people are so concerned about female characters and gay characters in ancient greece (despite it being historically accurate) and they're NOT concerned about this being the exact same game as every assassin's creed ever made and are blindly letting ubisoft shove these boring, unoriginal, hundred hour trailing missions down our throats because it looks pretty or it puts the player in a new location.

• I'm questioning whether you've actually watched anything for the game because it has A LOT of new stuff and a lot of change. You can argue that it's similar to Origins, but saying it's the same as every AC game is a bit much.

bit odd that people are so concerned about female characters and gay characters in ancient greece (despite it being historically accurate) a

• i did in fact. and it literally just feels like the exact same game. origins felt like the exact same game. only with origins the game was getting praised for it and the previous games were booed for it, because...?

ubisoft was great once, with the splinter cell series they realized that you have to evolve with each new entry, so each new entry added a major difference from the previous one. assassin's creed thinks adding a couple gimmicks and an rpg system supplements as a major gameplay difference, but really you're still doing the same shit you always do in the main gameplay section. trailing mission, dialogue, find item/kill somebody, dialogue, repeat.

i'm sure it's fun to some people and hey i still pop in AC3 and 4 from time to time just to goof around so i get the appeal, but just because you add one small new gimmick or give your player useless and arbitrary dialogue options doesn't mean the core gameplay has changed.

at least they updated the combat i guess. assassin's creed: odyssey folks. day one buy. new combat, you can kiss girls now. 10/10

I'm questioning whether you've actually watched anything for the game because it has A LOT of new stuff and a lot of change. You can argue that it's similar to Origins, but saying it's the same as every AC game is a bit much.

• You got it wrong, pal. Odyssey is in fact so different from the past AC games that the hardcore fans of those games are disavowing it :D

bit odd that people are so concerned about female characters and gay characters in ancient greece (despite it being historically accurate) a

• if the gameplay we've been shown so far is supposed to count as THAT "different" from the past AC games then i don't think hardcore fans are disavowing it for that so much as looking for a way out of the wormhole they've been stuck in since 2007.

You got it wrong, pal. Odyssey is in fact so different from the past AC games that the hardcore fans of those games are disavowing it

• Well, it's pretty similar to Origins in terms of gameplay and assets, but it's very different from the installments before that. I mean sure, it's still an open world game in a historical setting but that's about as far as the similarities go. The combat is completely different, there are added RPG elements like dialogue choices and romancing, the progression system is new, etc. Have you played Origins, btw?

if the gameplay we've been shown so far is supposed to count as THAT "different" from the past AC games then i don't think hardcore fans are disavowing it for that so much as looking for a way out of the wormhole they've been stuck in since 2007.

• Have you played Origins, btw?

Yeah. I've played all of em except Unity and Syndicate. And imo they're all pretty much the exact same game with minor changes. And tbh I think they're decreasing in quality.

Well, it's pretty similar to Origins in terms of gameplay and assets, but it's very different from the installments before that. I mean sure

• Fair enough. For me it was the changes they made to Origins that got me interested in this franchise in the first place, because the gameplay of the installments before that weren't really my cup of tea (the combat most of all). And considering the changes they made to Origins made it a game I enjoyed 100+ hours it's safe to say that for me personally those changes were pretty significant. I even went back to try some of the older games again after Origins, but they still just felt way too clunky for my liking, just as I remembered.

Have you played Origins, btw? Yeah. I've played all of em except Unity and Syndicate. And imo they're all pretty much the exact same game with minor changes. And tbh I think they're decreasing in quality.

• That's a fair point. For me, I've been playing since AC3 first came out and it's gotten to a point where it's easy for me to spot when it's doing the same thing over and over. I'll give Origins credit where credit is due and say they definitely reached super far to break the mold and try and become something new and fresh, but to me it just felt like the same old Assassin's Creed it's always been.

Fair enough. For me it was the changes they made to Origins that got me interested in this franchise in the first place, because the gamepla

• Check it out! A nice video of the developers passionately talking about the game. Turns out Odyssey has been in development ever since Syndicate.

• Here's another Joraptor video if anyone's interested. This is what reassured me that stealth would have a larger focus than in Origins. Was seriously unhappy with the stealth in Origins but this has me optimistic.

• Bit annoying that he talks over the whole thing though lol.

On top of that, here's the Thaletas romance if anyone's interested. Joraptor seems to be the only one who actually did his romance.

• mostlypoptartsmostlypoptarts ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

I played the Odyssey demo at E3. They definitely still have things to tweak and finetune, but dang... Spartan kicks feel really good.

I hope it holds up to the standard that Origins set. Bayek and Aya are some of my favorite AC characters ever <3

• edited June 2018

Yet another Joraptor video where he tells us about the abilities in the game. Though don't watch if you'd rather play and find out yourself.

• I dunno about you but there is something wrong. This does NOT look like Assassin's Creed, because there are no hidden blades, no hoods and no brotherhood. This reminds me a lot of Ryse: Son of Rome. It looks boring and seems like Ubisoft is trying to turn the franchise into a Witcher clone. I don't think it deserves the name, it should be called something else. I understand they want to make something original and make it feel like a new direction but it's just not right

I haven't played AC since Black Flag, I think AC4 is the last good game of the franchise.

• There are in fact hoods in the game, mate. There's no hidden blade because it makes sense for the lore and it's set before the Brotherhood was founded. People need to understand that regardless of the title there is a lot more to Assassin's Creed than Assassin's. There's the Templars, the First Civilisation/those who came before and more. I understand that the Hidden Blade is an iconic weapon in the series but there's so much more to Assassin's Creed. I daresay that Odyssey seems more Assassin's Creed than Origins but my point is Odyssey deserves a chance and to be properly recognized as an Assassin's Creed game. And honestly people are just naming every popular RPG and calling Odyssey a clone of it. The Witcher, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc...

AronDracula posted: »

I dunno about you but there is something wrong. This does NOT look like Assassin's Creed, because there are no hidden blades, no hoods and n

• With respect though the Hidden Blades have been in existence long before this game event took place, the Foundation of the Brotherhood in Origins also makes no sense because the Assassin's have been in existence for thousands of years longer than Origins let people believe. Origins does a pretty bad job at the foundation by putting the Brotherhoodin the last 2 hours of the game with a Creed that is as thin as paper because Ubisoft doesn't want to focus on storytelling.
    The lore has become a joke.
    The Templars will not be a big focus

5:10
    The creator speaks.
    There is no real Creed, no real Templars, Dialoge choices that shouldn't exist in the lore it's simply put a war game now I grew up with this series from a young age watched almost every interview and I can say that AC is dead and turned into a less interesting version of itself I atleast hope the game will be fun.
    I read the novel version makes more sense to me.
    I won't respond fast because I don't visit this forum anymore because everyone I knew is gone.

There are in fact hoods in the game, mate. There's no hidden blade because it makes sense for the lore and it's set before the Brotherhood w

• I mean, the franchise is filled with inconsistencies and retcons. Didn't they unleash a literal god upon the world in AC3 but every single game after everything is completely fine?

joshua007 posted: »

With respect though the Hidden Blades have been in existence long before this game event took place, the Foundation of the Brotherhood in Or

• I assume you're referring to Juno? She's been still making appearances in the Modern story but she's yet to have a huge impact. I assume that they have something planned with her but for some reason aren't ready to do it yet.

@joshua007 You're making an awful lot of assumptions about a game that isn't even out yet. And yeah I will admit the lore of the Hidden Blade is confusing. From what I understand Darius was the first to use it but wasn't an actual Assassin, despite the Brotherhood in Italy having a statue to remember him. It's not simply a war game though. For the first time for a whiyou can play the game however you want. Whether it be as a Warrior playstyle or a Stealth one. The game doesn't force you to play one way. The series has changed and will continue to change a lot. I understand that not everyone is okay with that, but I find all these comments about it not being Assassin's Creed to be really unfair.

I mean, the franchise is filled with inconsistencies and retcons. Didn't they unleash a literal god upon the world in AC3 but every single game after everything is completely fine?

• I really doubt they'll even bring her back honestly. It feels like they're moving away from the modern day stuff more and more each game. Origins had, what, a half hour total of modern day stuff?

I assume you're referring to Juno? She's been still making appearances in the Modern story but she's yet to have a huge impact. I assume tha

• Ooh dear you didn't knew? Juno is dead... She got stabbed by a Hidden Blade.... She got her body back and not much later she died and her Instruments are no real threat without their Godess... She is gone she died in AC Uprising Issue 12, Ubisoft doesn't care about the lore this has been proven multiple times now.

Ooh please AC has been doing a lot of retarded shit and you are also making assumptions about a game that isn't even released and anyway I feel this ''You're making an awful lot of assumptions about a game that isn't even out yet'' come from a place of emotion and that you couldn't find a argument against it and also THEY said they will focus less on the Templar and Assassin's here, by sneaking around doesn't natural mean you are a ''Assassin'' the Assassin's are ancient and have a believe and a Creed something this franchise has forgotton.
    This game can easily be it's own new franchise just say the POE is magic.

I assume you're referring to Juno? She's been still making appearances in the Modern story but she's yet to have a huge impact. I assume tha

• Yeah something like that I think I just keep to the books and comics right now untill Ubisoft proves me otherwise.

I really doubt they'll even bring her back honestly. It feels like they're moving away from the modern day stuff more and more each game. Origins had, what, a half hour total of modern day stuff?

• I have no problem chosing between a woman and a male hell I love to play as a woman sometimes I play or watch female protagonist on my couch and enjoy it but with this game I feel like ''Why?'' because of the Animus, we can't alter history (Except Layla Hassan with the hole ''Break the Code'' thing that wasn't even adressed in the main story) I mean this is canon but how will it effect everything and AAGH fuck it I just turn of my brain and read the novelization.

I should've expected it but I'm really annoyed by all the complaints about SJW's, simply because you can choose to be female and to be gay.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.