Telltale, Please Don't Force The Players Down One Path

I keep hearing about how "The school might finally be Clem and AJ's chance for a home and they are ready to protect it" etc but what if you don't want to do that? My Lee said in season 1 that "You're gonna want to find a place like the motor inn but that's just not safe, move as much as you can", why would Clem ignore Lee's last words just like that and suddently want to find a home despite everything? That was one of ANF's biggest problems, that we stayed in one location for too long. I don't really look forward to spending the entire season protecting a boardingschool and live happily ever after at the end.

One amazing thing about season 1 was the St. John's farm. It felt like a paradise, but at the end of the episode we got a big twist, the St. John's were actually cannibals and the group was forced to leave as the place got overrun, this is what makes TWD awesome, the dark theme, how it was so unpredictable. In this season, it seems like we just find a location, we protect it for a while and then everything's fine, is this why the season is only 4 episodes?

Throughout season 1 and 2, we learned that staying at staying in one location for too long is not realistic in the apocalypse. The motor inn proved that in episode 3 when the group was running out of food and supplies, Crawford eventually got overrun and to quote Molly: "In the end, the dead always win", and in season 2, Carver's camp was eventually overrun by the herd. Are we just gonna ignore everything we've learned for the sake of this new story? I would rather get a dark or sad ending than an ending where we settle down in the school and live happily ever after. This is The Walking Dead after all, please give us multiple endings!

I really hope that there will be a choice to not stay at the school, to listen to Lee's last words and instead keep moving. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Comments

• According to the gameplay footage shown at conventions, Clem can suggest to AJ while they're at the boarding school that she's not on-board with the idea of staying.

• I saw there was an option to say "I don't trust them YET" which to me indicates that Clem just needs time to trust strangers, not that she wants to leave.

According to the gameplay footage shown at conventions, Clem can suggest to AJ while they're at the boarding school that she's not on-board with the idea of staying.

• edited August 2018

Honestly, I think its best to wait for episode 1 or the whole season in general. After it comes out you can judge about the story or the endings.

• That's the point, the damage will already be made. If Telltale really plan to use the entire season at the boardingschool, then there may still be time to prevent them for making that mistake in future episodes. Looking at you @mostlypoptarts ...

Honestly, I think its best to wait for episode 1 or the whole season in general. After it comes out you can judge about the story or the endings.

• edited August 2018

It depends on the story they want to tell. Again, you have to play episode 1 to really know where the story will go from there. And I doubt that they are going to be the whole season on the boarding school, cause in all 3 seasons they were at 4 locations at least. I'm pretty sure they are not going to be at the boarding school the whole season. They will likely visit some buildings and there will likely be dark themes and gore. And to really know how all that plays out, you have to play the episode first.

qualityrice posted: »

That's the point, the damage will already be made. If Telltale really plan to use the entire season at the boardingschool, then there may still be time to prevent them for making that mistake in future episodes. Looking at you @mostlypoptarts ...

• edited August 2018

It's twd, things will always go wrong, and, although the premise is home, don't expect the ending to be happy! There will be tears! (? kek anf) people you love will suffer horrible fates. Lee isn't the god of the apocalypse, it's not like the player themselves are survival experts. A home is the right thing, what Clem and AJ have been looking for for so long.

I'm on the opposite side of the field here. It's such a horrible plot tool when places always get overrun by people and walkers. The farm, the motor inn, Howe's. Just like you said! I don't want Telltale to go down paths that have already been explored because this has honestly happened so many times that I'm sick of it. The moment when the school gets destroyed or something, the game will go down the s2 ep4-5 road. Very few people enjoy ep4 and 5 from a narrative perspective. It's ANF level writing and isn't up to par with what we could get. Don't give me the argument that these writers are better and they'll do something different, but let's be honest, it'll be pretty similiar.

Now, you know what would be cool? I don't want this to happen because it's a shit idea but hear me out - what if, just like s1 the group get their hopes up because they find something really cool, like a plane! BUT Clem has to clear the walkers blocking it and then she gets bitten without realising. What's left of her broken group of survivors flee the state because there is no more food or ammunition and they plan on going to another continent, let's say someone in the group or Commander Lily's group is an experienced pilot. Everyone realises Clem's bite and then they put her down. She's never able to see the new world. But then, fast-forward to touchdown, the group lands and notices there are walkers, and AJ bursts into tears again. Fast-forward past the credits and AJ is being taught by Louis how to bake an apple pie. AJ goes to do something and he sees the memorial of Clem. He smiles toward a better yet bitter future. Louis calls on AJ to come back because the pie is ready, and he goes back to him, but he looks back on Clem's photo, one last time, before going to the kitchen. Also the characters are considerably older, AJ being 12 and Louis being 20+. Now what's interesting is that walkers are not shown in this scene, so the resolution of the apocalypse is left ambiguous. Yeah I know it's sunshines and cupcakes but people would still cry with Clem's death?, plus I know that Kirkman isn't willing right now to take the story to other continents. It's just that for TFS I want it to not be an end to a season, but an end to the Walking Dead telltale universe, seeing as this is an actual ending in it's own right, on the same scale as the ending for the comics/tv show. It's just that I don't want an under-whelming ending and I want one that is satisfying and conclusive.

• You wanna spoiler that there, pal? And not just rely on people being lazy.

Ghetsis posted: »

It's twd, things will always go wrong, and, although the premise is home, don't expect the ending to be happy! There will be tears! (? kek a

• I think you're being unnecessarily hostile calling me "freaking delusional", people have different opinions, simple as that. You said that you would rather Clem and AJ find a home, great! That's what I'm saying, we players should have the choice if we want to do that or not, don't you think? Also, you claim that ep 4 and 5 are ANF level writing because they aren't in one location? But ANF was all about staying in one location...? I don't get your point there.

Ghetsis posted: »

It's twd, things will always go wrong, and, although the premise is home, don't expect the ending to be happy! There will be tears! (? kek a

• That will just be words. The game will force you into staying i bet

According to the gameplay footage shown at conventions, Clem can suggest to AJ while they're at the boarding school that she's not on-board with the idea of staying.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.