Bad optimization on PC

edited August 2018 in The Walking Dead

So, On the start I must sorry for my Englisch, because I still learn this launguage and I'm from Poland, so there might appear mistakes, Sorry for that.

So I played the demo on PC and I have a really fps Drop to 30-40 when I look at the house or something like this. I must played on medium settings to get still 60 fps with no drops. I must add that I playing in TWD : ANF with max settings 1920x1080 and have still 60fps. Also I update my Drivers for Graphics Card and its still not works :(

My PC is:
GPU : GTX 960 4 GB
CPU : AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8 GHz
RAM : 12 GB RAM
HDD : 1TB

There are system requirements:

MINIMUM
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz.
RAM: 3 GB.
VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GTS 450 2GB
FREE DISK SPACE: 15 GB.

**RECCOMENDS **
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
RAM: 3 GB
VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960
FREE DISK SPACE: 15 GB.

So Can You guys tell me whats going on ? Because I have problem with lags and I Dont know, this is fault my PC or game optimization ? Someone has the same problem that I have ? I know its the demo and Telltale might stil changed something but If someone could Help me I will be very greatfull.

Tagged:

Comments

• It might be optimization,its still just a Demo so its not a final game.Its okay,the full game will be better for sure.Dont worry about it! :)

• The only thing I would question is your processor...10 years old multi threaded beast though it is...the Phenom is on the low side...

• So this is processor fault ?

The only thing I would question is your processor...10 years old multi threaded beast though it is...the Phenom is on the low side...

• It is possible...however it could be that the demo is not as optimized it could be...have you played around with the graphic settings of the demo..I have not downloaded the demo yet...

Diski22 posted: »

So this is processor fault ?

• I just played the demo because of this thread.

My ancient (7 yr old) rig:
    AMD FX6100 3300mhz 6 core (3 legit cores hyperthreading)
    10 gigs RAM (no idea the speed)
    GTX 660

Played smooth as butter for me, steady 60 fps every time I looked at the fps counter.

• But on the max settings ?

I just played the demo because of this thread. My ancient (7 yr old) rig: AMD FX6100 3300mhz 6 core (3 legit cores hyperthreading) 10 g

• oh... huh. I didn't realize there were graphics settings. I don't recall any settings for ANF other than resolution size. It was running at mid settings. I maxed everything out and it's running at about 30fps so I'll just run at mid/high but I can't complain. My computer is old. I can't play anything new on max settings lol. Sounds like you're in the same boat so idk why you're making a thread complaining about it. Build or buy a new PC or be content playing on lowered graphics settings.

But on the max settings ?

• edited August 2018

My pc is:

Gpu: strix gtx 1050ti 4gb
    Cpu: i5 7400
    8gb ram

I play on high-medium and i sometimes get 8 fps drop

Perhaps its because of a demo and i forgot to update my drivers

• Let me know your experience when you update your drivers. Btw you have better PC and the same problem. So demo is really no optimization.

Bruno113 posted: »

My pc is: Gpu: strix gtx 1050ti 4gb Cpu: i5 7400 8gb ram I play on high-medium and i sometimes get 8 fps drop Perhaps its because of a demo and i forgot to update my drivers

• Strange cause I've even better PC in terms of hardware than Bruno113 and I've never experienced an FPS drop below 70 (although that wasn't even all the time, usually I had around 110-140 FPS). I played on maximum settings too.

Then again, it's still might be bad optimization but someone above was right, your CPU is not that good. RAM and Graphics are good but they are nothing without at least a decent CPU. I mean, you can put as much RAM into your computer as you want but without BOTH a decent graphics card and CPU, it doesn't mean that much.

Let me know your experience when you update your drivers. Btw you have better PC and the same problem. So demo is really no optimization.

• Your processor shouldn't be that much of a problem because the game is relying on your Graphics Card a lot more than the processor but it still could be the fault.
    I played it 60 fps all the time on max settings, the only problem I had was when I approached the house the game froze for a second but other than that smooth af.
    i5 4670 / 1060 / 8GB RAM

• I must set "Render Quality" to low, to get 60 fps with no drops all the time. Whats that mean?

Your processor shouldn't be that much of a problem because the game is relying on your Graphics Card a lot more than the processor but it st

• I must set "Render Quality" to low, to get 60 fps with no drops all the time. Whats that mean?

Tewudin posted: »

Strange cause I've even better PC in terms of hardware than Bruno113 and I've never experienced an FPS drop below 70 (although that wasn't e

• Your CPU is bottlenecking the gpu. Even though the gpu is good the game is wanting something from your processor and it is doing it too slowly.

I must set "Render Quality" to low, to get 60 fps with no drops all the time. Whats that mean?

• Well everything is on high...60+ FPS no lag...just sweet bloody fun.

i7-7700HQ
    16GB Ram
    Nvidia 1070 8GB

• So I should buy new processor?

Well everything is on high...60+ FPS no lag...just sweet bloody fun. i7-7700HQ 16GB Ram Nvidia 1070 8GB

• Probably be easier to save up and get a new computer...not sure what upgrades are available for your motherboard...

So I should buy new processor?

• You should upgrade the whole PC, you can't just upgrade the CPU in your case.
    You can get a decent build (i5 8400 / b350 / 8gb ram / 1060 6gb) for about 1000-1200 Euros, depending where you are.

So I should buy new processor?

• This thread is still going? Your computer is old and crotchety, like mine. You need to get a new one or be content with lowered settings. Mine is so old I can't upgrade it anymore. The motherboard is too old and can't handle anything past the 600 series of GTX cards so while I could get a 690 card, it's not worth the expense for marginally better performance. I have to build a whole new computer from the ground up which is gonna cost me 1200+ for a decently future proofed build.

• I was not ready for that, because Games from Telltale always have undemanding processor to run their games in max details... Holy Shi*t I dont want even think what happen when they change their graphics engine to Unity.

This thread is still going? Your computer is old and crotchety, like mine. You need to get a new one or be content with lowered settings. Mi

• I dont want even think what happen when they change their graphics engine to Unity.

You should upgrade the whole PC, you can't just upgrade the CPU in your case. You can get a decent build (i5 8400 / b350 / 8gb ram / 1060 6gb) for about 1000-1200 Euros, depending where you are.

• It's strange me is at 180 fps with my screen (180 hertz) :/

• Your PC components ?

Nshow-YTB posted: »

It's strange me is at 180 fps with my screen (180 hertz)

• GTX 970 MSI 4 gb GAMING (overclocked)
    I5 5675 3,10GHZ (overclocked to 3,60 GHZ)
    Windows 10 profesionnal 64bit
    16 gb ram

• edited August 2018

I had one serious problem with the game the camera sensitivity I lowers it to the maximum and it still gose too far than I need I can't control the camera well while I am walking or running this just sucks did any one had the same problem?
    And for the subject of this thread there is one moment front of the house I got a lag Clem walking/running animation turn to those walking lags that some of fortnite players had where the character move around with out walking or running.
    The game at its own performance very similar to season 1Batman the telltale series witch was mostly broken I hope the final product unlike what I did play and unlike batman TTS but still the game looks amazing and definitely better than the new fu*cktire.

• You could try to close your browser to get more fps.

Your PC components ?

• Its not helping :(

You could try to close your browser to get more fps.

• Then idk, really only the browser is the problem for me on all games.

Its not helping

• How do you guys get more than 60 fps? I am locked at 60fps and it can get only lower.

• FPS count also depends on monitor's refresh rate. By that I mean, you will never see more fps than your refresh rate. For example, if you have 144 Hz refresh rate, you will never see more than 144 fps in your games. If you say that you only get max 60 fps than answer is simple - your refresh rate is around 60 Hz.

How do you guys get more than 60 fps? I am locked at 60fps and it can get only lower.

• Wrong and right.
    Yes the game's frame rate is locked to the monitor's refresh rate in this game (I think you could disable v-sync from the .ini file).
    While you cannot see more than 60 fps on a 60 hz panel it definitely can be felt, if you have a 60 hz panel a game will feel smoother if it's playing at ~100 fps than it is at 60 because the frame times are different, you get a lower frame time the higher the fps goes that's why higher fps feel smoother even though you cannot "see" more than 60 fps.
    For example let's say you're playing a game at around 60 fps, depending on the game your frame time will be something like 40-50 ms, then you lower your graphics and get around 120 fps, now your frame time will be something like 10-15 ms and the game will feel a lot smoother (The best game you can experience this is CS GO, where 60 fps feels like slow motion while 200 fps is fluid).
    Of course we're talking v-sync off, enabling v-sync will lock your frame rate to your monitor's refresh rate and the game will feel smoother (no screen tearing) but it's creating input lag which can make the game unplayable in fast paced shooters for example, in a Telltale game it's fine.

Tewudin posted: »

FPS count also depends on monitor's refresh rate. By that I mean, you will never see more fps than your refresh rate. For example, if you ha

• edited August 2018

So i should leave it at 60 fps? In CS GO i get like 250 fps tho.

• Yes, you're right. That's a text book example folks why you shouldn't post anything at 11 PM when you're half asleep already. Thank you for correcting me. :)

Wrong and right. Yes the game's frame rate is locked to the monitor's refresh rate in this game (I think you could disable v-sync from the

• Yea you should leave it like it is, I played it at locked 60fps and it feels great

So i should leave it at 60 fps? In CS GO i get like 250 fps tho.

• Your CPU is bottlenecking your graphics card

• My head hurts from reading these comments....

• Finally, i'm not alone with the camera problem, it sure sucks a lot

FORTLEE posted: »

I had one serious problem with the game the camera sensitivity I lowers it to the maximum and it still gose too far than I need I can't cont

• my advice buy a console

• edited August 2018

Hi, I recommend turning off some applications from starting up and turning off some appearance setting on your OS (if you hadn't done it), so your system would consume less resources which will free up some resources for your game. It might help a bit. Also, only do this if you are comfortable on doing it, and it is not my fault if anything goes wrong if you have decided to do so. Here are the steps if you don't know how:

1. Press the windows + r keys on your keyboard, type in "msconfig", then press enter. You should now see "System Configuration" window. Now, press on "Services" tab on that "System Configuration" window. Now what you want to do is uncheck all the services you don't need/want to start up and running when you power your system on and press "OK".

2. Press on ctrl + shift + esc keys. You will now see "Task Manager" window. On the bottom left of that window, you will see "More details". Click on that and that window will now show a tab called "Startup". Go to that tab, right click, and click on "disable" for all the application you don't want to start on boot up, then press "OK".

3. Press on windows + pause/break keys. You should see a window named "System". Now, find "Advanced system settings" and click on it. A new window named "System Properties" should have opened up. Find the "Advanced" tab and click on it. Now find the box named "Performance" within that tab, then click on the "Settings..." button on the right of it. A new window should pop up, named "Performance Options". What you want to do here is click on the empty circle next to "Adjust for best performance" on "Visual Effects" tab. After that, click on "OK".

4. Now restart your computer and tried playing the game. Then open op "Task Manager" via ctrl + shift + esc keys and find the game that you are playing in the "Process" tab, right click it, and select "Go to details". Now you will see that you are on the "Details" tab with your game's exe file highlighted. Right click that, move your cursor over to "Set priority" and select on "High" (You will have to do this part every time you open up a game). If you want to revert the settings, just follow the process from 1 to 3 and revert the process. Also, when you are playing the game, turn off all application that you are not using, and turn off v-sync on your game settings.

Hope these will help out somewhat.

• IKR it bugs the hell out of me I barley killed the walkers in the unscripted combat with out Clem doing 360 degrees turn round her self it was a pain

EddsPearl posted: »

Finally, i'm not alone with the camera problem, it sure sucks a lot

Sign in to comment in this discussion.