***********'s death was just for shock factor.

edited August 2018 in The Walking Dead

In your opinion was Marlon's death a good choice for the ending or not.

Comments

• Yeah, it was. It perfectly showed just how unpredictable and maybe even dangerous AJ is. They just need to do something with it now.

• edited August 2018

Yeah, it was a "mild" shock factor death but I think Marlon fulfilled his potential already, so overall it's a good ending.

I really can't imagine a good continuation for Marlon's character if he was still alive. All I could think of is just some tiresome "redemption" arc where an asshole turns into a good guy. We've seen those way too many times during the series, so I think it was the right call to write Marlon off right after he hit his peak, because now his character won't decline and fall into complete irrelevance.

He already made his impact and left his mark as a memorable character. That's all I ever wanted from him.

• one hand yes, like with omids death on the other it adds that level of disturbence and complexity to AJ

• Tag spoilers in the title dude.

• Yeah you should that for the people who doesn't play the chapter

Tag spoilers in the title dude.

• I like it, good story line for Aj

• Wtf is with the title, nice spoiler dude

• LMAO not really.

His death was to show how AJ doesn't have any moral values and only cares for Clementine's life, since he literally was born into the apocalypse. It's so the whole "your choices will decide what he becomes" thing is even more tense.

• No it wasn't ONLY for shock value, it did make sense for AJs character and did move him forward as a person, showing us the confused reality that a young child who has been in this world since birth lives in
    But...coming from someone who literally spent the entire episode teaching AJ that shooting first and asking questions later is NOT the way to go, I was pretty disappointed that he just did it anyway, I definetely think Telltale missed out on a big opportunity there

• The ending was really intense and yes, Marlon's death added shock value but I think it was a satysfying end to his great character.

• It was definitely a shock and a good ending plus even though I would have killed him the first chance I got I would have liked to see what his character would have been like in later episodes had he survived

• If it was determinate and it wasn't more or less spoiled for me, I probably wouldn't mind too much.
    As is, though, it was just part of a stupid/silly way to end the episode and a weird serial move writing-wise.

• Intense, understandable, shocking YET predictable. Those were what I'd describe that ending.

But it's not really the death. It's the way they did it. It came off as predictable and somewhat lazy to me. Like I've said in another thread, that's the 3rd surprise headshot in mid-speech we've gotten from a WD game and the second cliffhanger headshot since Marianna. There's gotta be something new in their bag that they haven't done as yet. As soon as Marlon gave up, I anticipated a headshot. Just didn't think it'd be AJ.

• I think it's trying to get across that AJ is "unpredictable". What disappointed me was

Sarunas21 posted: »

Intense, understandable, shocking YET predictable. Those were what I'd describe that ending. But it's not really the death. It's the way

• edited August 2018

I talked about this in one of the other threads so I'm going to go ahead and reuse some of what I already wrote.

I think Marlon was handled perfectly. He really is a brilliant character and is one of the best protagonists/antagonists this series has ever seen. I really connected with these characters this episode and like the others, Marlon was really starting to grow on me. Obviously I could tell that he was desperate but I had no idea he was that desperate. That twist at the end really got me.

Marlon is a brilliant character because he isn't evil he is just a leader whose desperation and paranoia have caused him to make rash and cowardly decisions. This really was a great twist, there were all sorts of emotions in those last fifteen minutes. When this was all revealed I was so pissed with Marlon and I was determined to take him down yet throughout it all especially after he really started to break down I couldn't help but feel sympathetic towards him because it was clear that he never wanted nor meant for any of this to happen.

Marlon's death was a shock death but it was a shock death done right. It advances the story and shows just how different AJ is than Clem. He wasn't raised to be an innocent polite kid. He was raised to be a survivor. In his experience when someone or something appears to be a threat, you kill it. If Clem attacks Abel, AJ is satisfied. If Clem let's Abel leave with a good portion of the food they had just worked so hard to get, he is upset with Clementine and basically tells her that she should have had more of a backbone. Marlon's death by the hands of AJ brings attention to the major plot points and challenges that will be explored this season.

You can compare Marlon's death to Larry, Carley/Doug episode 3, Katjaa, and Duck's deaths from Season 1. They are all unavoidable because they are crucial to progress the story that Telltale was trying to tell.

Marlon's death sets the events of this season in motion. The group is in chaos, conflict with the adult faction is inevitable, some people are going to want AJ to be punished for what he did, Clementine is the best person to lead them through this and I doubt everyone is going to approve of her stepping up. Clementine has to pick up the pieces dealing with internal and external conflicts, and give AJ some serious morality lessons before it is too late.

• I think it was a bit of shock factor? If it wasn't they could have made anyone kill Marlon, but they chose AJ. And, with my choices, it didn't really make sense to me. Like, yeah, I pushed that one dude into zombies but he had a gun pointed at AJ and possibly would have shot even if AJ put the gun down. Marlon was disarmed when AJ shot. Then my Clem was strict with AJ about apologizing to those he physically hurt and told him he couldn't be doing that. It just seemed like if he could understand that concept and realize he did wrong than why was he thinking it was okay to kill Marlon? It was strange to me and I think, depending on how you played, it looks like shock factor.

• I think it did leaps and bounds to thicken the plot revolving AJ, but completely killed the potential Marlon had to redeem himself. I think it was a good decision though. Marlon would have said to much and gave away a good chunk of the plot which is now a mystery. Like Lilly, the twins, the reasons they wanted them, why he didn't tell them and all the other mysteries we have to uncover now. He woulda just said them,

• AJ isn't some crazy moralless kid lol. He saw Clem's life under threat and took action. Of course he didn't realise that he had surrendered, or understand that meant Clem was safe. I don't blame AJ at all. He's grown up being told how everything is a threat and your life is constantly in danger.

• I guess that's one way of looking at it, but with Brody also deader than a nail, that means we now have no real buildup to who these raiders are.

ZombieKenny posted: »

I think it did leaps and bounds to thicken the plot revolving AJ, but completely killed the potential Marlon had to redeem himself. I think

• Other than the knowledge that they took 2 of the kids...are now tampering with the traps and are watching the school.

DabigRG posted: »

I guess that's one way of looking at it, but with Brody also deader than a nail, that means we now have no real buildup to who these raiders are.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.