Unfortunately, I hate most of the Kids

edited September 2018 in The Walking Dead

I always hated the maturity of kids in TFS, which was only re-inforced with the 'Brick vs. Log' arguement. You could see Violet getting pissed as she's a lot more mature than the others, and Aasim? I thought you were better than that. 'Hurr durr durr you're childish sticks tongue' Willy punches Aasim 'Take that!' sticks tongue

And my problem with Mitch. The writers make it painfully obvious at the start that Mitch doesn't like you. With Louis it's different because you know he cares about AJ, but with Mitch, it's like the writers are going 'fuck all, we wanna do ANOTHER redemption arc and character development, so the player feels they have bonded with Mitch so they can sympathise when he dies fighting for you.' It's just so unecessary to me, but although some people loved that, let's look at the start. The moment I had 30 seconds of him talking, I knew he was going to have a character arc, it's too obvious! It's like you're a foreigner who only knows little english. When that person plays the game, the game, through Mitch's dialogue, is telling the player ''This is Mitch. You need to hate him. He's horrible, right? He's constantly spamming foul language (this game just forces foul language, ANF was about Puberty and TFS is about swear words, lol) and pointing fingers at you. Look! He hates AJ, the guy you're caring for!''

I'm fine with one or the other, you don't do two. TWO of the same kind of character redemption! Why don't you make Mitch a more resigned, collected person? Who clenches his fist in anger and tells a story of how Marlon saved him in the early days and that was when he accepted him as leader? Why doesn't he say 'he surrendered! You're a terrible carer for not teaching AJ that concept!' (something to take not of, perhaps? Or is it just that the writers saw it as an obvious thing so they didn't make any of the kids say it in their respective arguements for why AJ is a murderer. Their arguements are pretty bad) Instead it's just 'fuck you, you killed my friend, so fuck off!' It's not offensive, it's laughable and comical, especially for an adult like myself, I was cringing at his corny dialogue the whole time, thinking 'why did they have to make this all about kids?'
Why do the writers make every boy in the school some angry yet bold (gasps GABE!!!) kid who argues about petty things? Fucking 'Log Vs Brick' convos that are so immature and just :lol:, and when Gabe Willy punched Aasim I was nearly crying out of laughter. Y'all were probably just caught up in the moment, but into it, nonetheless it was still an amzing episode and even better than Done Running in my opinion, despite it's harder-to-find flaws, such as AJ surviving the shotgun shot (how the heck? If that was Clem she would've died. I know AJ is slightly stronger than Clementine, but let's be honest we could all beat him up, and he is only 5-6, as opposed to Clem's 8. His body shouldn't be ready for shotgun shots, especially since it appears the shrapnel went through his body to the back. The pain when the buckshot wasn't even agonizing for AJ, at least it wasn't as bad as Sam's scene in Michonne)

I had a lot more stuff to say, but I can't remember, but it doesn't matter because I'm waffling and you probably don't care. Still - what are your thoughts regarding this? Don't sugarcoat it with 'they're just kids' well that's the point they're wierd and Mitch Act 1 is the same as Louis Act 1.

Comments

• they're just kids

• Where did AJ get the hot water? Jesus you did not even watch or play the game did you...you are banned from commenting any more if you wonder about that which was clearly shown...had you played or watched.

• Kids just being kids.

they're just kids

• His body shouldn't be ready for shotgun shots

I don't think anyones body should :D

• Oooooh yeah I remember now the kitchen. I feel really dumb, and rightly so. I'm just... forgetful. Honestly I did play the episode and with little to no distractions.

Where did AJ get the hot water? Jesus you did not even watch or play the game did you...you are banned from commenting any more if you wonder about that which was clearly shown...had you played or watched.

• I know...I just am a natural born troublemaker lol

Ghetsis posted: »

Oooooh yeah I remember now the kitchen. I feel really dumb, and rightly so. I'm just... forgetful. Honestly I did play the episode and with little to no distractions.

• Omar, Willy, Mitch, Ruby, Brody, and Aasim are all eitherdecent or lacking characters. Tennessee is such a nice kid that if he dies I’ll be genuinely shook.

• @Ghetsis

the writers are going 'fuck all, we wanna do ANOTHER redemption arc and character development, so the player feels they have bonded with Mitch so they can sympathise when he dies fighting for you.'

Fucking 'Log Vs Brick' convos that are so immature and just :lol:

Aasim, clearly being the smart one in the argument, knew better than Willy, tried to explain to him that the bag O’ bricks was more practical than the log.
    Willy, being a naive and stubborn kid, didn’t see it things his way, and argued why he thought the log was better. I agree that it doesn’t seem like something anyone would really argue about while moments away from impending doom, but I guess they’re just trying to show that they’re still kids.

AJ surviving the shotgun shot (how the heck? If that was Clem she would've died.
    The pain when the buckshot wasn't even agonizing for AJ

I’m no gun expert, but I believe Abel’s shotgun was loaded with birdshot rounds, not buckshot. AJ’s wounds look similar to those inflicted by birdshot rounds. If they were buckshot, his torso would’ve been spaghetti-O’s?

• I mean they are side characters, they arent meant to be all that engaging.

Tenn is more a main character than them. After clem, AJ, violet, louis and maybe lilly

Omar, Willy, Mitch, Ruby, Brody, and Aasim are all eitherdecent or lacking characters. Tennessee is such a nice kid that if he dies I’ll be genuinely shook.

• But the whole point of the last sequence in Ep2 is to help them defend against an attack, I still love this part but Mitch was the only one to sort of break outside our expectancy.

I mean they are side characters, they arent meant to be all that engaging. Tenn is more a main character than them. After clem, AJ, violet, louis and maybe lilly

• I don’t mind most the kids honestly, just not a fan of AJ. I think I prefer Tenn more than AJ because of how he reminds me of Season 1 Clem.

• I’m no gun expert, but I believe Abel’s shotgun was loaded with birdshot rounds, not buckshot. AJ’s wounds look similar to those inflicted by birdshot rounds. If they were buckshot, his torso would’ve been spaghetti-O’s?

If I remember correctly, the prompt for removing it is 'Remove Buckshot'.

Aasim, clearly being the smart one in the argument, knew better than Willy, tried to explain to him that the bag O’ bricks was more practical than the log.

Willy, being a naive and stubborn kid, didn’t see it things his way, and argued why he thought the log was better. I agree that it doesn’t seem like something anyone would really argue about while moments away from impending doom, but I guess they’re just trying to show that they’re still kids.

Which would be fine, it's just that Aasim was partly at fault for still bothering to be 'rude' to Willy, thus igniting his fire. This is contradictory because it implies that Aasim isn't actually mature.
    So no one is mature.
    So why are there so many extra characters like Omar and Willy if indeed everyone is the same?

Dex-Starr posted: »

@Ghetsis the writers are going 'fuck all, we wanna do ANOTHER redemption arc and character development, so the player feels they have

• edited September 2018

In the matter of kids, I fucking love AJ. What a little trooper. He's really grown on me. When he said he loved Clem I fucking melted.

10/10 Would protect with my life.

• I knew from before the season started. He's just so cool. He's kind and strong at the same time. Even has merits that S1 Clem doesn't.

Pride posted: »

In the matter of kids, I fucking love AJ. What a little trooper. He's really grown on me. When he said he loved Clem I fucking melted. 10/10 Would protect with my life.

• Which would be fine, it's just that Aasim was partly at fault for still bothering to be 'rude' to Willy, thus igniting his fire

He's kinda rude to everyone, but yeah.

I’m no gun expert, but I believe Abel’s shotgun was loaded with birdshot rounds, not buckshot. AJ’s wounds look similar to those inflicted b

• When these characters were first shown off at PAX east, I hated them. But when the game came out, I grew to love these characters, and after episode 1, I grew really attached, especially after episode 2.

• They do miss quite a few opportunities for character development, explored motivation, and backstory exposition.

What do you mean ANOTHER redemption arc?

His body shouldn't be ready for shotgun shots

As opposed to rifle shots?.

• edited September 2018

Ruby and to an extent Mitch got quite a bit of development in this episode and Aasim had a definite voice in Done Running.

@Lilacsbloom I don’t mind most the kids honestly, just not a fan of AJ. I think I prefer Tenn more than AJ because of how he reminds me of Season 1 Clem.

* Gasp * You don't like AJ?

Omar, Willy, Mitch, Ruby, Brody, and Aasim are all eitherdecent or lacking characters. Tennessee is such a nice kid that if he dies I’ll be genuinely shook.

• You must be fun at parties OP.

• I can confidently say that I like James more than all of the Ericson kids combined.

Except Mitch, he's rad.

• Kids being kids.

• Buckshot has a wide spray pattern. It's essentially tiny balls in a shell and it blows out rapidly in a giant cluster. If you are directly in front of it. Good bye. If you are far away and maybe off the left from where it shoots. You'll get hit like AJ did with the buck spray. Which usually penetrates clothing and causes a nasty wound like AJ but not usually death.

OP clearly doesn't have much knowledge on the topic. It's actually extremely accurate to how said wound looks. You're acting as if he was shot directly point blank range. They were running and he was grazed. He did shrug it off a bit much as most kids would be screaming. But AJ is a damn gangsta lol.

Dex-Starr posted: »

@Ghetsis the writers are going 'fuck all, we wanna do ANOTHER redemption arc and character development, so the player feels they have

• What do you mean ANOTHER redemption arc?

Louis, sort of. Angry-turns-nice. It's so wierd for 2 of that to happen in the same episode.

DabigRG posted: »

They do miss quite a few opportunities for character development, explored motivation, and backstory exposition. What do you mean ANOTHER redemption arc? His body shouldn't be ready for shotgun shots As opposed to rifle shots?.

• Oh.
    Eh, not necessarily. It's possible for two or more characters to represent the same sort of archetype, motivation, or scene, with the difference being how they do so.

Louis was someone who you'd grown to be so friendly with beforehand and was now really conflicted about everything that had transpired because that was his best friend for years. Mitch on the other hand was someone you barely knew anything about and was dedicated to being hostile because of it.

Louis was centered around realizing why he was really feeling as angry as he was and trying to reconcile that with the fact that he does still care about you despite it, while Mitch arguably more about seeing that you were genuinely trying to help them and coming to accept you.

What do you mean ANOTHER redemption arc? Louis, sort of. Angry-turns-nice. It's so wierd for 2 of that to happen in the same episode.

• Still, I'm right in saying there was no point for the writers to make Mitch act this way. Even if it is different, it can still be seen as repetitive, and my point is that since two people are doing that to Clem, when you're playing you just think 'okay okay I forgive you now go away already I don't care'. If you catch my drift. And of course, the only reason they gave Mitch this arc is because they wanted to kil him off. Soo.. yeah.

Oh. Eh, not necessarily. It's possible for two or more characters to represent the same sort of archetype, motivation, or scene, with the d

• Marlon was the sun that was named moon. Now that he’s gone, everyone at the school is in ruin.

• Considering there were seven/eight people still at the school and that the majority voted for AJ to leave, I'd be surprised if Louis was the only one who was mad at them.

And of course, the only reason they gave Mitch this arc is because they wanted to kil him off

I mean, that's certainly a part of it.

Still, I'm right in saying there was no point for the writers to make Mitch act this way. Even if it is different, it can still be seen as r

• Ruby and Brody were nice characters!

• Brody is dead and Ruby is a pansy.

12494 posted: »

Ruby and Brody were nice characters!

• I think the fact that Mitch had the self restraint to simply limit his anger to words/other indirect actions (let her go in first etc) is fairly commendable.

After whatever option you pick that makes Mitch back off of you, he returns to the group and kneels besides Ruby, presumably offering help in any way he can and most likely being one of the ones to move Marlon from his spot and bury him.

Really, I feel his actions are more than justified, the only time I felt his choice of words went a bit overboard was during the whole office scene.

Another part that was jarring however was how quick he was to forgive you, maybe it's simply because of the dire situation they found themselves in, but helping a guy find some materials to make explosives and burning a body of a former group member should not be all one needs to get in good favor with him.

• I thought it was all legitimate on how teenagers would act. Mitch's anger and distrust is justified.
    If it was any other way it wouldn't resound very realistically personality wise.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited September 2018

I'm actually going to refute a different point of yours: the buckshot that hit AJ.

The way I interpreted the scene, the shot didn't directly hit AJ. It hit the ground next to AJ, and some of the shrapnel bounced back up and hit him in the stomach. This can be backed up by the fact that AJ's wound is on his stomach, with no entry/exit wound on his back. Not to mention that Abel was behind him when he shot, yet the wound is on his stomach.

This would also explain why the shot didn't really affect AJ at first; the ground absorbed most of the hit, and only a few stray pieces/pellets bounced back up. Enough to cause damage, but not enough to immediately put him out of commission. Also, given how easy it was to remove the pieces, they didn't embed themselves too deep. They left a pretty nasty wound, but didn't seem to go deep enough to hit any of the important stuff.

Also, look at the way he stumbles as he gets shot. He falls over, clenches at his stomach and continues running. You can also see a cloud of dirt fly up next to him just as he falls, which would just further seem to back up this little ricochet theory of mine.

• Good observation! Thanks for enlightening me on this one.

Deltino posted: »

I'm actually going to refute a different point of yours: the buckshot that hit AJ. The way I interpreted the scene, the shot didn't direc

• Let me put it this way. If Clem dies, leaving AJ the sole survivor, I’ll be pissed.

That “I love you, Clem” “I love you back” reeks of ‘well somebody’s gonna die whilst repeating this later.’

I don’t know, there’s emotional moments sure, but other times I feel completely detached from caring about him. Maybe his Carver is showing ? if Clem had been like AJ in season 1 I’m not sure my opinion of her in that game would’ve been positive.

Ruby and to an extent Mitch got quite a bit of development in this episode and Aasim had a definite voice in Done Running. @Lilacsbloo

• Meh.

if Clem had been like AJ in season 1 I’m not sure my opinion of her in that game would’ve been positive.

Considering she was designed to be as easily appealing as possible, I'll take that as a good thing.

Lilacsbloom posted: »

Let me put it this way. If Clem dies, leaving AJ the sole survivor, I’ll be pissed. That “I love you, Clem” “I love you back” reeks of ‘w

• Yeah I don't get the people who think these little redemptions are examples of good writing.

I don't like telling someone to fuck off for an entire episode yet they still somehow "forgive" me.

Atleast with Louis it's consistent, though. If you reject Louis' forgiveness, his status with you stays the same and you can end up on total frenemy terms. I wonder if it actually affects anything for the next episode (probably not).

CrazyN8Ball posted: »

I think the fact that Mitch had the self restraint to simply limit his anger to words/other indirect actions (let her go in first etc) is fa

Sign in to comment in this discussion.