What I didn't like about Minerva

I don't like how she gets all angry at Clem. Like it's not even scary conflict, did the players feel scared? She loves Marlon. Violet/Louis responds by saying Marlon traded the sisters, and Minerva responds by saying something along the lines of 'at least we ALL survived!' doing the sassy thing with the fingers which is getting real annoying now. 5-10 seconds later, not even exaggerating, she says Sophie died. Now, I don't know why this made it into the final version of the script. I mean, just why? It's so puzzling. I don't know what else to say, it's just so perplexing.

Oh, and let's not forget the whole 'Tenn's boots holding up ok? :'( ' That was also very strange. And the 'I duct taped them up the last time I saw them, but that was a while ago' you don't say 'the last time I saw them' you LIVE at the school, it's been a very long time so don't talk about it like that, that's only if you still live at the school and you duct-taped Tenn's boots before you went hunting for rabbits.

Then there's also how if you say Violet is the leader, Minerva is kinda rude and condescending to her, despite the fact that she's her girlfriend. You might say she's mad that she stayed at the greenhouse and didn't come, but again, Minerva likes the Delta. Idk. Nitpicks.

Minerva did have a couple iffy parts in her script in my opinion. I was looking forward to what Telltale writers would write. I remember reading a forum post saying she'd probably be brainwashed and won't be very interesting, guess the poster was right. It's like Lily, the problem isn't the role they occupy, it's if what they've done with her is truly worth merit or something that players would praise. She doesn't seem like she's meant to be a minor character. Even with a brainwash victim, you've still got a decent amount of potential there. Once again, another episode where AJ and Clem's relationship gets better but the rest of the cast are just cute kids lookin' like a snack B)

Tagged:

Comments

• What I didn't like about Minnie honestly begins with her simply being a part of the boat recruitment crew. It makes Ep2/3 fall apart for me, and to a lesser extent the end of Ep1.

If Delta had Minnie as brainwashed as she is then Abel shouldn't have stumbled across the teens in Ep1. It would've been Delta's destination. She knows where it is. This could be written off entirely as to say Abel knew where the kids fished and had traps, and decided 'hey free loots' jumping the gun on the whole plan for an extra serving. But the follow up really ought to have been Minnie proving herself once more by returning to the school to personally recruit the others with Lilly.

• Agree.

Poptarts posted: »

What I didn't like about Minnie honestly begins with her simply being a part of the boat recruitment crew. It makes Ep2/3 fall apart for me,

• I hate everything about Minerva. She blames Clementine for "destroying" her former group when she is the one who killed her own sister, who wanted to come back to school, in cold blood, then she is imprisoning her friends for torture and war. They better not fucking pull an Arvo on us and give us an option to fucking kill her. Killing you own family makes her one of the worst people I would not spare. She deserves to die.

• I don't like how she gets all angry at Clem. Like it's not even scary conflict, did the players feel scared?

Were we supposed to feel scared? That wasn't the vibe I got from her character nor that scene when she confronted us. Clem didn't look scared nor did anyone else. If anything, Clem was ready to square up if the situation escalated.

saying something along the lines of 'at least we ALL survived!' doing the sassy thing with the fingers which is getting real annoying now. 5-10 seconds later, not even exaggerating, she says Sophie died.

Agreed. This was weird. It was like...."well, you didn't all survive it then, wtf?"

you don't say 'the last time I saw them' you LIVE at the school, it's been a very long time so don't talk about it like that

You sort of lost me here.

Minerva is kinda rude and condescending to her, despite the fact that she's her girlfriend.

Ex. But you're right. In her defense though, she wasn't wrong in what she said.

I liked Minnie in this episode. We'd hear some stories about her from the kids and they obviously thought very highly of her. Even in her song "Don't be afraid". One side holds on to that memory of who she was, but the reality is who she is now is drastically different.

It's hard to make characters like this compelling, but I think they did an alright job. She wasn't one of the negatives I took away from this episode.

• edited February 2019

Took my advice, eh buddy? Cool. :smiley: This was kinda overdo, tbh, and I'm a tad surprised no one thought to do it until I finally brought attention to it.

Point blank period, Minnie is the worst/weakest aspect of Broken Toys. Has the down points of both Lilith, Mitch, and I guess Marlon with none of the "good."
    Before the episode came out, I finally dropped the "hot take" as they call em that I was never particularly interested in the character. I know a lot of people around here were anxiously talking about the fact that she used to be Violet's girlfriend(which I didn't pick up on until someone pointed out the heart in the fishing shack, as I didn't recall seeing in the video Shoula sent me), whether there was a chance she was still alive, would she "get in the way," and whether she could be trusted. But as for me personally, I was infrequently wondering what was Sophie's deal, especially given that not only was she barely getting acknowledged after the first episode, but I recalled raising a peculiar eyebrow to the twin's existence from a narrative standpoint back in said premiere.

So when it came to Minnie(who also had her concept art leaked by the tragic loss of Telltale since they justifiably didn't give a fuck anymore), I was honestly just going into the episode predicting the general gist of her role & portrayal based on both genre savviness on top of where the story seemed to the heading. With that said, a notion that I never got to voice at the time was what I thought the general consensus of the character would be among the community/fanbase. I laxlyquickly narrowed it down to one of two reactions based on the most likely course of the episode's plot based on everything we had to go off of: either she would be another David(who a oddly considerable number of people used to say made the story come alive and/or was arguably a standout amongst what the cast generally had to offer) or end up sharing the reactions Bonnie gets(as in being given a strong degree of flak from many despite being a relatively nuanced character).

To say I overestimated probably wouldn't be the half of it.

• edited February 2019

@DabigRG

This was kinda overdo, tbh, and I'm a tad surprised no one thought to do it until I finally brought attention to it.

Yeh, I probably wrote this in the wrong tone/mood since I'll be targeted for being a hater or somethin', but I figure people will understand that I'm just plain saying what I didn't like, because the bottom line is it's not a deep discussion it's a thread for members to comment on what they didn't like about Minerva. Kinda like when you're 7 years old and your teacher tells you to put a post-it note on the board to answer the question on the board.

And I've had this one in the book for a while now.

• I'd have to read over it again to really say much, but eh, I think you're probably fine for the most part.

the bottom line is it's not a deep discussion it's a thread for members to comment on what they didn't like about Minerva.

Oh yeah, I didn't really do into detail with that myself, did I? Might do another post when I feel it.

And I've had this one in the book for a while now.

Oh-hoho-HO! You sneaky cuss--plannin ahead, I see. :lol:

Ghetsis posted: »

@DabigRG This was kinda overdo, tbh, and I'm a tad surprised no one thought to do it until I finally brought attention to it.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.