Minerva: Deferred Mouse and Instant Rat

Perhaps the biggest element of TFS's story was the selling out of Tenn's twin sisters by Marlon. Talented and beloved amongst Ericson's Boarding School for Troubled Youth, Sophie and Minerva were indoctrinated into the Delta, but had two different reactions to being taken away from their friends. Minerva grew to appreciate the provisions of the Delta community after a time, while Sophie constantly acted out against them and even tried to execute an escape. As a result of this latest attempt of desertion, Minerva was given a choice: either she execute the traitor who was "twisting her with their lies" or the two sisters will both be punished.

Minnie has been a character that has been anticipated and spoken of on the odd occasion. There were particular questions around her existence during the first two episodes such as, "What did the raiders want with her and Sophie?," "Is she still alive?," or the protracted "Will she get in the way of Vilentine?" And when Lillith avouched that she wanted to come to the school the night of the raid and concept art of what could very possibly be her, the discussion slightly changed to be "Can she even be trusted?"

Finally, with the release of the third/semifinal episode, Minnie has finally appeared in the story proper as a major(?) character. Her mindset regarding the Delta and their cause is shown to be resigned, but in their favor. She emphasizes the delinquents' safety, particularly Tenn, and claims that Sophie died fighting against the Other Side. Each of these things influenced her behavior toward Clementeen, who had encouraged them to fight off the Recruitment Party and was planning to rescue the three that were captured in the raid. Upon misleading her, AJ, and Louis/Violet into being captured, Minnie's part in "The Parable of the Two Sisters" was revealed to set a clear example of what awaits the delinquents should they choose to resist joining their ranks. Going into a agitated rage due to the judgments that were being laying into her choice and some determinate in-fighting, Minnie gets into violent struggle with the escaping Clementeen and is eventually rendered unconscious with additional aid from Louis/Violet.

What did you think about Minnie upon finally appearing in Broken Toys?

How do you feel about the way her character is conveyed and utilized?

Do you find her plight [un]sympathetic?

And do you think Take Us Back will be able to "redeem" her character, if it has any chance to begin with?

Comments

• What did you think about Minnie upon finally appearing in Broken Toys?
    I was suspicious of Minnie upon finally meeting her in Broken Toys. She didn't react like someone in need of rescue, nor did she really attempt to assure Clementine that all would be alright, or that the colony was great it and worth defending. That did sort of spoil the 'trap' aspect.

I find Minnie to be perhaps a far more disappointing missed opportunity than Lily. I think that Lily could've remained extreme, edgy, and willing to do literally all that she felt it took. Minnie would've been an excellent foil support towards that end if they'd used her differently. If Sophie had been killed by the enemy, I think it would've added a lot more grey area. In a series about the fall of humanity, we really haven't gotten enough of that. The villains have been far too cartoonish.

Utterly and completely unsympathetic. Nothing short of ending their suffering or them attempting to kill me could cause me to kill my own family, even the ones I don't like. I even have family I despise. Certainly, if they were killed in front of me, or made to suffer - the people responsible had best not leave me loose and never sleep.

And do you think Take Us Back will be able to "redeem" her character, if it has any chance to begin with?
    I don't see how it could. I really don't. Some individuals find her more redeemable, and instantly condemned Marlon. Having lost the closest person in her life, she's then equally fine with putting her former girlfriend, and a great many of her friends through the same. She's perfectly fine with her 'little brother' being left to fend for himself in this horrific world. For me, she's a clearer instance of too far gone than Kenny/Jane.

• All I know is we get her axe. If she wants to live - she'll give it up willingly

• The only way I will let her live in episode 4 (if given the choice) is for Tenn. If Tenn dies, then Minerva will too

• edited March 2019

I don't really care about this character, ok so she killed her sister what a shocker reveal, she's basically done with the story and has nothing to be part of unless u choose vi and from some reason vi still is with her after everything nothing can be done but for them to fuck off clems gang and go on thier way. She's useless for now

• My opinion on Minnie definitely isn't a popular one, as many have already put her on their "kill like a rabid animal" hitlist. Though, I won't hesitate to do the same, but only if absolutely provoked this coming episode.

What did you think about Minnie upon finally appearing in Broken Toys?
    I wanted to trust her, but that hope flew out the window the second Clementine freed her. Then she confronted her for screwing up the plan by making them resist capture.

I felt she was one of the stronger aspects of Broken Toys, in the same way Marlon was for Done Running. The Minnie we have now is a product of Marlon's decision, but it wasn't the Minnie that Tenn, Violet and the others knew. It's hard to make a "ghost character" interesting, but I think they did a good enough job by inverting her character from what everyone who knew her was used to. Not groundbreaking by any means, but I was hooked, so at the very least, I felt what they wanted me to feel.

Not at all. I sympathize with her just as I sympathize with Marlon. Both were wrong but both were in situations that ultimately brought out the worst in them. Everyone says they "would never kill family" and I hope everyone would say that. It's what you're supposed to say and what you're supposed to live by. But the thing is, I'm sure Minnie said the same exact thing to herself. I'm sure she swore to herself that she'd protect Sophie. My point is, it's easy to say things like this when we're not faced with the situation that threatened them.

I said I don't condemn Marlon because if I were in his shoes, I don't know if I would've had the strength to oppose Lilly and Abel that day. Maybe I would've given up Minnie and Sophie too. I don't know. Same for Minnie killing Sophie. Had she been my twin, or had it been a family member of mine, would I have killed them to save my own life? I want to say of course not, but my mind was never pushed to the edge to make such a decision, so I can't say that.

In every fight or flight situation I've been in in my 22 years of life, my body has always chosen flight over fight, despite all my tough words as a teen. Maybe it'd be the same in their cases if I was in their shoes. That's just how I view it. And that's why I find her and Marlon compelling.

I think so. I've said before that she needs to see Tenn in person. She didn't see him in Broken Toys. We can deliver Tenn's message and all, yes, but who is Clem to her? She needs to see Tenn to have any shot at redemption.

But the question is, what would you deem to be "redemption" for her? What does she have to do? Must she sacrifice herself for the safety of the group? Must she simply apologize and mean every word? Must she give up? Must she help us survive? What is redemption to you? (This is rhetorical by the way, but feel free to answer, anyone.)

For me, she just has to come to her senses and work with us for the safety of the group. The boat is destroyed. Lily is dead, and the remaining ones are being killed off. She has no reason to feel trapped anymore unless she pulls a Shawshank and somehow can't live without her captives. But if she is freed and can come to see that for herself and help us, that's all I need. If she still feels bitter, then she can die. Can't save those who don't want to be saved.

• Ah, a five comment quota has been reached! Guess I should say something.

Honestly, I think some cannibalized material for a post I never did can speak a bit for me:

• Tenn's other twin sister.
    • Half of Broken Toys' nosedive.
    • This episode had half of the main villains(and by inherent extension, the plot) commit narrative suicide.
    • Well that predictably blew
    • I was never really interested.
    • "If you didn't want Minerva to be shit...well, you're out of luck."
    • Pretty awful character, if even that.
    • Maybe not be dull and a walking zigzag...that digests herself?
    • I finally(?) admitted that I was more interested in Sophie than I was about Minerva?
    • Eh, more Marlon + Jane.
  • She uh..sucks.

I expected Tenn to be more involved with the sisters/twins storyline but that didn't happen (budget issues?) ok fine,but they didn't even do something interesting with Minerva.
    There's pretty much no interesting interactions with her even if you romanced Violet,the writers just used her to throw a lame ass plot twist/reveal about how she killed her sister to show us how eViL Lilly is.

So yep she could die or get redeemed i dont care she's as forgettable as Aasim and Omar are.

• Oh, ya'll got her axe alright.

All I know is we get her axe. If she wants to live - she'll give it up willingly

• Not the way I imagined. P.s can you help me with my audio thread? I'm actually worried i cant play the normal version anymore. Peace.

DabigRG posted: »

Oh, ya'll got her axe alright.

• I've been seeing people mention that and I'm not sure what that's about.

Not the way I imagined. P.s can you help me with my audio thread? I'm actually worried i cant play the normal version anymore. Peace.

• I'm scared to clear my data completely in an event where the whole season would be deprived of certain audio if I did delete all my data and start again. If you know of someone later on who has an answer please share

I've been seeing people mention that and I'm not sure what that's about.

• Anything ever help with the problem?

I'm scared to clear my data completely in an event where the whole season would be deprived of certain audio if I did delete all my data and start again. If you know of someone later on who has an answer please share

• It was fixed actually. For all my saves. Thanks for asking ?

Anything ever help with the problem?

• Have any of your opinions changed after episode 4?

Sarunas21 posted: »

My opinion on Minnie definitely isn't a popular one, as many have already put her on their "kill like a rabid animal" hitlist. Though, I won

• Definitely not. ;)

AnimalBoy posted: »

Have any of your opinions changed after episode 4?

• I wish they had the option to save Minerva before she got her face chewed off, so I could tell her that Lily tried to kill her brother.

• I wanted to be able to tell Tenn that she killed Sophie.

I wish they had the option to save Minerva before she got her face chewed off, so I could tell her that Lily tried to kill her brother.

• Imagine if they had both options.?

I wanted to be able to tell Tenn that she killed Sophie.

• The only thing that changed was her "redemption" arc, which was nonexistent. She's still sympathetic to me because what we got wasn't the result that she wanted for herself nor anyone else. She was dealt a shit hand when Marlon gave her away and those shit circumstances were her undoing. So, for the most part, my opinion is the same.

Have any of your opinions changed after episode 4?

• Honestly, I hoped she'd have more or less "grey" morals or could get a redemption arc, but her character was pretty much wasted in Episode 4. I did find her interested on her first appearance. However, later she turned into another "crazy villain" who's evil just for the sake of the plot. But Telltale was always pretty bad at writing villains, so I don't care much anymore.

• I was never really interested in Minerva, but I assumed she'd generally be a Bonnie or a (pre-From the Gallows) David.
    Clearly I overestimated.

Honestly, I hoped she'd have more or less "grey" morals or could get a redemption arc, but her character was pretty much wasted in Episode 4

• I have a Spanish examination next Thursday. Wish me buena suerte, por favor. xo

• She was just kinda there and often forgettable. She had a unique moment on the bridge, but that's about the highlight of her character.

• Thank you guys for asking how it went!

I have a Spanish examination next Thursday. Wish me buena suerte, por favor. xo

• More or less.

Chibikid posted: »

She was just kinda there and often forgettable. She had a unique moment on the bridge, but that's about the highlight of her character.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.