What the hell is "Telltale" anyways?

edited August 2019 in General Chat

So, after today's news of Telltale's assets getting bought, a lot of people over at Twitter seem not too happy about this situation at all, among them many former Telltale employees:

(DO NOT send these people any form of harassment or hate - that's an extremely douchy thing to do! This is not what the post is about. If you want to reply to them please be respectful when presenting your point!)

Telltale Games isn’t coming back... A company bought our assets.
(...) there is NO Wolf 2 without the team that was working on it, most whom have gone to other studios.

Now I think this raises an interesting question. What makes the Telltale titles legitimate? What makes "Telltale" Telltale?

Was "Telltale" the people who worked there? Or is it just the concept of narrative driven and decision based games? Maybe a mix of both?
And would a TWAU2 be legitimate to you if it isn't made by its original team?

And obviously, these two questions should answer whether the company "revival" is good news for you or not.

On a side note I would advise everyone to take a look at the most popular tweet on the situation...

...and ask that if you see ANYONE mislead by it (as it is trying to have people believe the same guys who first fired all the employees are now the ones attempting rehiring) to do your best to get the truth to them!

Comments

• edited August 2019

Its honestly really hard to say. We have only a bite size of knowledge about what's going on with more pieces of info coming within the next few weeks (hopefully). We won't know what this new Telltale is till we see that first game which is being revealed sometime later this year. I understand the frustrations and its sketchy in some regards but if these people are really committed and want to see a revival I'm gonna give them a fair look at what they end up having to offer. And its not like this is just happening its been being worked on for the past 6 months. They have a game plan of some kind. Whether its good or not we'll have to see down the line.

• It is a weird question. I think its kinda funny how theres a big "different people = different studio" idea going around but so many of the people who put Telltale on the map left by the start of 2017, so wouldnt then Telltale not be "Telltale" anymore? If anything if most people get replaced in this New Telltale, its just Telltale post 2016 again. So if anything, this "new Telltale" is still Telltale if they still have some old people.

And I dont want this to sound mean, but Im actually kinda glad most of it will be a new slate. Modern Telltale was still really mediocre and Wolf 2 probs would have just been mediocre. Id rather just take this risk with a brand new slate with the potential of a super good game being made, then just knowing for a fact a mediocre game would be made.

• That last tweet just sums up the world we live in now. Where people are so brainwashed by (not to sound like Trump) fake news. To answer your question. To me Telltale has always been the talented devs behind the scenes, and if they don't get anyone who worked on TWAU back. I really doubt it's going to feel the same at all.

• P.S. the comments to that last tweet are frustratingly bad.

• I don’t even blame those people. The guy with a platform who decided to spread a lie is at fault here, I just wish we could make them all aware that it’s not true.

P.S. the comments to that last tweet are frustratingly bad.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited August 2019

Just a friendly reminder, please be respectful towards personal boundaries of staff, both past and present. I don't intend to lock the thread for now, but please don't get out of hand.

It's a hard and personally charged topic for Telltale Alumni, so please be respectful and mindful of that.

Forum Guideline 2.2: Be respectful of personal boundaries towards Telltale Staff members (past and present) and do not personally insult, harass, or scapegoat them - whether or not they post on the forums. Keep all game discussions focused on the content and not the creators. Avoid posting social media content from staff members that is not related to official and intentional game promotion. Please note that most staff members cannot directly comment on future episode release dates, upcoming episode spoilers, etc.

• edited August 2019

Did you see that one tweet where someone corrected the original tweet, and then someone replied calling him a corporate boot licker and got 5 times the likes? lmao

I don’t even blame those people. The guy with a platform who decided to spread a lie is at fault here, I just wish we could make them all aware that it’s not true.

• Pretty annoying, not sure why so many people cant figure out New Telltale isnt run by the same people, cuz now you get a bunch of people who have no idea what they are talking about bad mouthing it when in reality its actually looking like something really good is going to come from this. Its almost like the only similarity is the name.

Did you see that one tweet where someone corrected the original tweet, and then someone replied calling him a corporate boot licker and got 5 times the likes? lmao

• They're a company.

Sorry someone had to do it :wow:

• It's an odd question for sure.

I'm not sure how I'd classify it, but I know that today Telltale Games is Telltale. Telltale a year ago was also Telltale. Even pre-Walking Dead they were Telltale, too.

I think my opinion depends on what 'Telltale Games' owns or distributes. Currently, they only have the rights to TWAU and Batman. No TWD, TFTB, MCSM, GoT, or GOTG. Since the non-owned licenses are now deactivated from the forums, it's as if they aren't "Telltale Games" er… games... anymore. They still are, technically, but not 2019 Telltale's games.
    So... Post-Final Season and November Closure I'd consider "New Telltale", since they're under new management and are essentially starting anew. They just happen to have the rights to TWAU and Batman.
    Anything before this is "Old Telltale".

• TWAU and Batman is actually the 2 games i wanna see the continuation of the most, so that's fine for me

AChicken posted: »

It's an odd question for sure. I'm not sure how I'd classify it, but I know that today Telltale Games is Telltale. Telltale a year ago wa

• edited August 2019

They really should've clarified that they had already actually hired some people along with contracting in the initial press release.

But at the same time, holy shit is it this amazingly hard for people to search up more than one article.

Ghetsis posted: »

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/1166728621014188037 Absolutely brilliant

• Exactly! If Polygon didn't do a shit job with their article, this controversy would be much minor.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.