What Are You Currently Watching?

Comments

• Forgot to do an update of this a day or two later.
    It was marginally better and even declared that the prologue is over so the real story can begin, funnily enough. I haven't been back to it since though.

DabigRG posted: »

So I tried to give Soul Eater another chance last night and not much doin. I watched the first episode quite a while ago and wasn't really f

• edited August 2020

Everyone is talking about Ozai vs Aang and Azula vs Zuko and Katara but can we also talk about this epic fleet battle in Avatar? Everyone seems to overlook it because it's not a fight between 2-3 characters.

• Just started Dirty John season 2 : Betty Broderick. Only on episode 1 but it's piqued my interest.

• Watching Chicago Fire, Lucifer, Prodigal Son & likely S2 of Trinkets soon.

• I watched the new Grudge mini-series "Ju-On: Origins" on Netflix not too long ago and it was about as good as the original Ju-On film. That's not saying much, bur props for doing its source material justice I suppose.

• edited September 2020

Netflix just added the anime series The Promised Neverland. It's a dark fantasy/sci-fi thriller, and was everyone's Anime of the Season back in Spring 2020.

Just watched the first episode now, and hooo man if you're a fan of anime or of thrilling, creepy stories, watch this dang show. "Don't look up a thing about it, the less you know the better", is what everyone says, and man this opener has quite the hook.

(This is Canadian Netflix, but I think USA Netflix and some European Countries also had it added too.)

• edited September 2020

Just saw sequel of (The Babysitter )on (Netflix) just now I mean it was ok but it made too many pip culture refrencesand most of the humor was average but was fun to watch nevertheless.

• I’ve been watching Jojo! I’m finishing up Part 5. I have to say that it is a really fun watch. After I’m finished with Part 5, I’m planning to start watching Carole and Tuesday!

• I've been binge-watching "The End of the Fuck*** World" today,S1 was so good i started S2 right after and finished it.
    There's one scene in S2 in EP7 that had me completely shocked like really jaw dropping lmao great show really unique glad ive seen it.

• Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai

Almost an entire year ago, Toei Animation basically announced a new Dragon Quest anime that would adapt the old manga. Basically a remake of the old anime that just got a Blue-Ray release in Japan. The main thing that caught my eye, and many others apparently, is the art-style. (Which, I mean. Yeah? That's how watching a new anime works.) The art-style is almost like Dragon Ball, and it makes sense too since the original Dragon Quest games were made by Akira Toriyama. While he isn't directly involved in the new anime's production, many people who worked on the latest Dragon Ball film are. Which is awesome. They also are supposedly above their schedule and that they've completed production on nine whole episodes.

Let me just say, the first episode is awesome. It starts off a bit slow, but it gets more action-packed as you watch. They get to the conflict quite easily, afterward. And it's definitely an amazing episode. The animation quality is just amazing.

• Just started and finished watching Jurassic World : Camp Cretaceous (season 1) on Netflix was impressed considering it some eater egg senses from the first Jurassic World film ,won’t get into much spoilers for you all but hers the link
    Check out “Jurassic World Camp Cretaceous” on Netflix
    https://www.netflix.com/title/81009646?s=i&trkid=14170032

• I watched this korean film called "Train to Busan". It's a zombie movie whose concept sounds very B movie-ish, just a film with zombies and ridiculousness. But guess what? Never judge a book by its cover because this film is AWESOME!!! Probably my new favorite zombie movie since Zombieland, Snyder's Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead.

It's the definition of a modern zombie movie. The character arcs were very in-depth. Some of the decisions were kind of dumb but understandable at the same time. I actually cared for the characters (although I really suck at remembering their names due to me being a non-korean) and I almost teared up at the end. Hollywood needs to take notes of how you such great story taking place in a zombie apocalypse. Too bad it's rare for them to learn from great writing. This is THE shit and I love it.

• Yeeeessss!! Glad you saw it and enjoyed it!
    It's a really fun, if also pretty creepy movie! Loved the terrifying sprinting zombies and various characters trying to figure out how to outwit them.

There's a sequel that was supposed to come out this past summer called 'Peninsula', but I don't think it ever came to North America due to Covid. Hopefully it lands on one of our streaming services instead though, I'd love to see how they continue it.

If you're still interested in cool zombie flicks, you might want to check out another Korean-made production called Kingdom on Netflix. It's a tv series historical drama, that imagines if zombies invaded South Korea around the 1300s, as they're undergoing a political coup.
    Or, if you're looking for something a bit more modern and western, try the series Black Summer also on Netflix. It's kind of a worse series, in that the writing for the characters is particularly frustrating -- they make a lot of bad decisions -- but I enjoyed my time with it, and the production itself is well-made, IMO. It's been renewed for a second season, so hopefully they can improve the writing team.

AronDracula posted: »

I watched this korean film called "Train to Busan". It's a zombie movie whose concept sounds very B movie-ish, just a film with zombies and

• There's a sequel that was supposed to come out this past summer called 'Peninsula', but I don't think it ever came to North America due to Covid. Hopefully it lands on one of our streaming services instead though, I'd love to see how they continue it.

I heard bad things about the sequel, saying that the movie was very Fast and Furious-ish, more about humans killing each and lack of character development. It doesn't even focus on the characters who surivived the first movie so I'll probably pass.

Also, I just heard that an american remake for Train to Busan is coming and I cannot say I am surprised because Holywood is being itself as always.

AChicken posted: »

Yeeeessss!! Glad you saw it and enjoyed it! It's a really fun, if also pretty creepy movie! Loved the terrifying sprinting zombies and var

• Aw, that's unfortunate.

an american remake for Train to Busan

Ew. Hollywood gotta be Hollywood, I guess. If it's got any chance at jumping on a hype train, you bet they'll do it no matter how awful of an idea it sounds.

Damn. That also reminds me of there being an announced live-action Hollywood remake of Your Name. Gorgeous anime film whose plot is ingrained in Japanese culture and rituals that broke a ton of box office records, and yet they can't even leave it alone and be it's own thing. Luckily it seems no progress has been made on it in 2 years now.

There's a sequel that was supposed to come out this past summer called 'Peninsula', but I don't think it ever came to North America due to C

• edited October 2020

So I'm watching Bojack Horseman, currently in Season 4, when all of a sudden there's this amazing, depressing twist that's only used for a one-off episode gimmick! (S4 E9 spoilers)

The episode called "Ruthie" is shown through a framing device of this young girl far, far in the future telling her class about one of her great-great ancestors, notably Princess Carolyn and this awful, terrible, no-good, very bad day she had.
    So basically she loses her job, gets another miscarriage (and is told that her uterus is probably just unable to work correctly), finds out her family heirloom is a sham and ends up dumping her boyfriend... But there's this one nugget of hope, that somehow she'll pull through and eventually her love life will get better and she can have kids.

But no. The show can't even let us have that. The episode ends with PC telling Bojack about what she does when she experiences a really bad day. She imagines one of her great-great grandchildren, telling the story of her life to their classmates, and that everything worked out in the end. "And when I think about that, I think about how everything's going to work out. Because how else could she tell people?" 'cept she can't. not really. cause it's fake.
    Uuuugh this fuckin' show. They love to raise you up with glee then sucker-punch you in the heart.

Not to mention how this episode was preceded by some damn good episodes about gun control/feminism, Bojack's depressing inner monologue, and Mr. Peanutbutter's election downfall (literally, in that case).

• So I took your suggestion and I watched Kingdom on Netflix. Such a great series and I am glad it's only 6 episodes for each season. Season 1 was kind of slow, it had some amazing dark moments but the action was kind of lacking. Season 2 was such an improvement, I loved it. It felt like they could have ended the whole show just there because they didn't leave anything open and I cared enough for these characters to get a closure but if they think there is more to tell about the zombie plague, I'm cool with that.

Yeeeessss!! Glad you saw it and enjoyed it! It's a really fun, if also pretty creepy movie! Loved the terrifying sprinting zombies and var

• edited October 2020

Just watched #Alive on Netflix which is another South Korean zombie flick.
    Check out “#Alive” on Netflix
    https://www.netflix.com/title/81240831?s=i&trkid=255824129

• I finished Over the Garden Wall just now. Really nice miniseries.

I like how the show has this unique flair to it. Some episodes have these pretty dark twists for a children's show, but more often than not there's a little whimsical resolution to them (mostly). It pays homage to old cartoons and styles. The background is really dang pretty, with this almost oil-painting style to it.

The cast is surprisingly star-studded too. With Elijah Wood voicing one of the two main boys, there's also some guest appearances from Christopher Lloyd, John Cleese, Tim Curry and others who I'm not too familiar with.

Great little show that fits the October atmosphere really well. Last 2 episodes were my favourite.

• It's funny how Tim Curry sounds(and honestly, mostly is) nothing like Tim Curry

I finished Over the Garden Wall just now. Really nice miniseries. I like how the show has this unique flair to it. Some episodes have the

• edited November 2020

I watched Sharp Objects on HBO MAX not too long ago. Pretty slow starting out, but it was really good once it got going.

• Teen Titans Go! Versus Teen Titans

This film is entertainingly mediocre.

Throughout the entire film, I hadn't seen one unpredictable plot-point. It all just sort of felt like a bland story that got fans of the OG Teen Titans cartoon from the early 2000s and the Current Cartoon Network reboot to spend money watching the two generations of the Teen Titans battle. Which, to me kinda seems like a way to draw in both old and young fans of the Teen Titans. That's smart on Warner Brother's end, but Jesus Christ, was this film weird.

I will give credit where credit is due, though. The first half of the film was solid, but the middle of the film is where things started to decline. We went from amazing fight scenes to stupid and pointless musical numbers that make no sense to be in a movie about two teams fighting each other and then teaming up to save their friend.

• edited November 2020

a movie about two teams fighting each other and then teaming up to save their friend.

Lol, I feel like whenever there's a crossover special that uses the title "Blank vs. Blank", there's usually that weird moment where they just have to shoehorn in a situation where they can hate each other and lend credence to the title, before letting them quickly get over it and do a final team-up.

Teen Titans Go! Versus Teen Titans This film is entertainingly mediocre. Throughout the entire film, I hadn't seen one unpredictable p

• I finally got to watch Zombieland Double Tap. It was a fun movie.

• I finished series one of the 2005 reboot of Doctor Who...

I used to just kind of sit around and watch random episodes, but I finally got the motivation to sit down and watch an ENTIRE season/series.

I loved Eccleston as the doctor, it's honestly extremely sad that he didn't get to continue being the doctor due to issues with BBC and issues within his own life (Reportedly).

I don't think I felt the same emotions, than I did when I finished watching the last episode. I wasn't sad, persay, but I was also kind of just watching and it sort of felt empty... Eh, I'm just weird.

Overall, I loved it.

10th doctor is godly, so far...

• not currently watching but recently watched: the boys. great show. like really good

• I watched this movie called "Seoul Station". It's an animated film which is a prequel to "Train to Busan", not just one of the best zombie films but also one of the best South Korean films in history.

It tells the origins of the zombie outbreak that occurred in TtB. However, it doesn't tell you how the virus was created. It just shows the very first person who got bitten by something which the movie doesn't answer who/what did it and he wonders around the streets without getting help from others, thus getting other people infected and starting the apocalypse.

This film shares the same emotions as Train to Busan. However, this time the main characters are very unlikable, in a realistic way. They all made bad decisions in their lives and I wasn't really rooting for them to survive. But yet, I still had feelings because they did admit their own mistakes and showed a lot of emotions.

My biggest problems with the film is that the animation looks dated as fuck and there are some scenes that seemed completely unnecessary to be put into the story. It also seemed kind of unnecessary to make because it doesn't really tell the real source of infection. Just the first victim which doesn't seem like a true origin to me. Overall, it's decent film but it should have given me the real reason why it exists and it felt more like a standalone story than a nod to Train To Busan, even if it's Korean and made by the same director.

• I've got the comic series downloaded on my PC... I've heard good things about it.

not currently watching but recently watched: the boys. great show. like really good

• TWD lol

DabigRG posted: »

Forgot to do an update of this a day or two later. It was marginally better and even declared that the prologue is over so the real story can begin, funnily enough. I haven't been back to it since though.

• Ooh. I know you've mentioned you've seen some of it before, but I'm excited for you!

I finished series one of the 2005 reboot of Doctor Who... I used to just kind of sit around and watch random episodes, but I finally got

• finished watching the boys a while ago and i've been watching the mandalorian S2 lately good stuff.

• the boys

iFoRias posted: »

finished watching the boys a while ago and i've been watching the mandalorian S2 lately good stuff.

• I’m watching Ash vs Evil Dead on Netflix just like how they mix horror and comedy so well together .

• edited November 2020

(I know this is way longer than it should be. It's late and I'm too tired to proof-read. Maybe later. Stream of Consciousness, go!)
    I just found my Joel Moment of 2020, and ironically it had nothing to do with The Last of Us 2.

Spoilers for the series finale of Supernatural.

The CW finally relented (or decided not to renew anymore) and chose to have this 15th season of Supernatural be its last. Because this was announced in advance of its premiere and filming, they managed to write out a final season plot, and tied up most major loose ends giving a final ending to the series as a whole.
    Now, I'm not caught up on Supernatural, and I don't ever plan to see all 15 seasons (currently I'm rewatching the first few seasons, trying to get to Season 5 which I never finished -- and where the original ending was conceived before the ten other season renewals.) but my sister and I (who she's the much bigger fan, watching up until season 12 I think before quitting) decided to tune in live and watch how it ends.

It's good! But it's also wonky and silly and kind of a tame way to end 15 seasons of it. Apparently the main, major plot thread that's been going on for the past few seasons was actually resolved in the previous episode, leaving the main characters Sam and Dean in this weird space where they... just hunt demons and monsters as normal.
    In many ways this episode was one big callback to the glory days of the show, as they're saving people, hunting things -- as they usually do -- and getting into some bloody fights with monsters. (I bet the reason this finale had so few characters and felt pretty stand-alone was so that anyone who may have seen any amount of the show -- even just one season -- could jump in and not be confused one bit. You know Dean, Sam, Bobby, that's all.)

Anyway, this brings me to my point: This episode is my Joel Moment.
    Sam and Dean, who have been fighting together for years now, facing off against crazy powerful demons, angels, God, Lucifer, or any other out-of-this-world supernatural being, meet their match with some random barn in the middle of nowhere.
    Okay, so after fighting and decapitating all these clown-mask-wearing vampires, it's revealed that during the struggle Dean gets thrown against a wall, impaling himself in some protruding rebar and he can't get himself out. Uh oh. After telling his brother that he doesn't want him to leave his side or call for help, so begins this sad speech about cherishing their time together and Dean eventually dies -- for real -- but not before telling his brother not to seek any way to revive him.

I don't know, to me, that just seems really silly. Of all the things that they've faced, and all the times one brother sells their soul to revive the other (they die a lot over the course of this show) it's after a fight and once he's impaled by your average steel rebar that Dean bites it and calls it quits. What the fuck? That's not how Dean lived his life, that's not how he always wanted to die, and it makes no sense why Sam couldn't just pull out his cell phone and call for help in the barn! (Unfortunately, this scene really took me out of the moment, as I couldn't stop giggling at how a not-jumping-the-shark way they decided to kill of one of their characters.)
    Augh, well, the episode's not all bad. Barring that one moment, the rest is pretty nice. Sam, now alone after losing his brother for real, his father figure and his best friend, gets a call from someone who wants him to go on a job. And he does. Alone, for the first time in a long time. We then get this awesome montage of Sam settling down later, having a kid named Dean Jr., and giving him the childhood he always missed out on (playing catch, helping him with homework, just being there for him...) all the while we get this cute glimpse at Dean arriving in his version of heaven, with Bobby, his father figure at his side, his own Impala with him, and a big open road to travel.
    Finally, we see an old Sam die of old age at home, content with his life and legacy, finally reuniting with his brother up in the great beyond. Now that was nice.
    Overall, I like the way they ended it, with the two brothers together, but it really feels like they had this whole ending bit worked out first but didn't figure out how to get there. How does Sam get left alone, how does Dean finally bite it? Eh, some random junk. I'd have much preferred if even one of the vampires stabbed him in the back during the fight, but I don't get that. Dang. Why did he have to die like that? Lazy writing if you ask me ;)

It also really didn't help that I feel like the CW was just trolling the fans during commercial breaks and sponsor cards.
    Literally right after the break where Dean dies, a Barnes Insurance Agency ad pops up on the bottom of the screen, saying "Injured? Call xxx-XXXX" Wtf that can't be a coincidence lol.
    There were also some really peppy, happy, jarring ads for some other CW shows right after some sad moment with Sam saying goodbye to the bunker they've been using for years.

• I think I'm going to finish She-Ra this weekend, given that I've made it through half of the final season in 2 days now.
    The show is at its peak right now. Lots of action, high stakes, interesting character dynamics, cool soundtrack, and awesome payoffs to things the show has been building up to!

Horde Prime is the biggest bad of the show, and I love it. His creepy religious cult vibes that he's got with his army, that captivating voice, the stakes he brings with not only defeating the good guys, but assimilating or even destroying them completely if all else fails. MMMM I LOVE IT.

The techno soundtrack has been cranked up and I. Am. Digging it!! Loving the backing tracks of many of the fight scenes so far.

Love how they've had Glimmer and Catra bond over their mutual isolation in the season. I'd never have expected that pairing to happen in the show, let alone for several episodes.

The whole plot of Adora losing her She-Ra power, slowly seeing glimpses of it and using this soft motif of the main She-Ra theme were gorgeous moments. Finally, when she goes all out and finally re-summons She-Ra after thinking her best friend had died, and they bring out the whole orchestra for 15 seconds, mmmm that was executed perfectly.

Holy freakin' moly, I just needed to gush about this right now, because the show is getting really good. Cannot wait to see how it ends!

Then I'm probably going to bounce on over to the Dragon Prince after this.

• edited November 2020

So what you're saying is you'll get to The Dragon Prince soon?

Agh, I'm trying to get this gif to work but it's not posting, just take this picture instead.

I think I'm going to finish She-Ra this weekend, given that I've made it through half of the final season in 2 days now. The show is at it

• edited November 2020

One word

You bet I will, buddy.

So what you're saying is you'll get to The Dragon Prince soon? (Spoiler) Agh, I'm trying to get this gif to work but it's not posting, just take this picture instead.

• You bet I will, buddy.

This is definitely not rough, buddy.

One word (Spoiler) You bet I will, buddy.

• edited November 2020

So, I just recently finished watching the first 3 episodes of The Dragon Prince. I wanted to watch it sooner but I didn't have the right time to do it and here I am.

First of all, the animation is weirdly outstanding. It kind of reminds me of the Spider-Man cartoon that aired on MTV in 2003 which I never watched but seen on youtube. That show was supposed to be the real continuation of the first Raimi Spider-Man film but it lasted for just one season and it was completely retconned in the next 2 movies.

I can already tell Aaron Ehasz couldn't resist taking inspiration from his own work cause Dragon Prince does feel like a spiritual successor to Avatar. Not to mention that Callum is played by Jack De Sena whose real personality is basically Sokka. It kind of sucks that Justin Richmond doesn't seem to get a lot of recognition from the audience cause like MetallicaRules said, he also worked on Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. That man deserves attention for his amazing work.

The characters are great, my favorite one so far is easily Rayla and the story does seem interesting. Can't wait to see what's next.

• the Spider-Man cartoon that aired on MTV in 2003

Another person who remembers this?? :astonished: yayy~

I love that show, its style, its music.

So, I just recently finished watching the first 3 episodes of The Dragon Prince. I wanted to watch it sooner but I didn't have the right tim

Sign in to comment in this discussion.