Game Informer Telltale article - new details on Wolf 2, studio culture, more.

Comments

• rather than saturate the market, making every release feel like an event, a grand premiere, is what Old Telltale should've done

Later Telltale games really did loose so much of this. Telltale games were releasing so fast it was hard to care and it was becoming pretty apparent that they were being pumped out trying to make a buck, and even though I am sure devs wanted the quality to be good, the rushing pretty made that unrealistic despite best efforts.

Also I do think Telltale should probably now get a lot better at getting news and updates out there. They are a bit past that "silently rebuilding phase" as it seems that sometime within the first quarter next year we will get a large update for Wolf 2, and it seems possible the game will release last quarter next year or first quarter 2023. Once they get to this big reveal they talked about early next year, they really gotta make sure everyone knows what is going on as this seems like it will be the start of Wolf 2's true marketing. So I hope they really nail it and do it in a way that it spreads with ease, rather than needing to be specifically looking for it.

I also really like the designs. I think people will come around to the Snow design, I personally really like it. Looks like Snow simply in a different outfit with a new hair style while still being recognizable. Also a super cool detail would be if other characters do change their outfits per in-game day, but I am not sure that will happen for budget stuff. Mostly say that because I like how Bigby's design is basically 100% the same but with a coat, because contrast to most people Bigby just throws the same thing on every day, so everyone changing outfits while he doesn't would be a neat detail.

Read the Game Informer Issue, how Ottilie speaks about the company culture he wants to instill gives me confidence that Telltale is heading

• Look dude I already know this is gonna happen and it will be an absolute bastard compared to the original game but please let me live in fantasy land please I beg you please.

Script already leaked 2 months ago and I already want to die. Got it in the spoiler tag

vaughn aggressively shits his pants

Vaughn: Rhys! I made a stinky!

Rhys: Poop.

End of Episode 1

Meanwhile Tales 2 is in production already by Gearbox. Where its a...get this a LOOT SHOOTER! And they kill off most of the main cast and Rhys is voiced by a different guy and....wait

• Telltale games were releasing so fast it was hard to care and it was becoming pretty apparent that they were being pumped out trying to make a buck, and even though I am sure devs wanted the quality to be good, the rushing pretty made that unrealistic despite best efforts.

Especially seeing as they'd be told to make major rewrites even up to the week before release.

Poogers555 posted: »

rather than saturate the market, making every release feel like an event, a grand premiere, is what Old Telltale should've done Late

• edited December 2021

Really happy the whole script was finished first for once. Telltale rewrites were insane and sometimes I really wonder why it changed so often. Like going through Tales files, there is basically 2 completely cut episodes of writing and I wouldn't say it was bad either. It took a different direction and maybe they didn't want to go that way, but I just find it so crazy so much was written and then thrown out (and the fact of how much was then voice recoded and began animation too.) Honestly this may be exactly what Jamie was saying about not wanting to have a team of 400 people before a script was done. So much stuff is just laying there from original ideas simply because they had to be doing something, which sounds more like throwing money away.

Either way, having a full script ready means overall story direction should be clear from the start because it isnt guessing live where you want it to go. Most excited to see what this means for choices as it seems the main reason choices never really did much was rewriting making choices just left behind and too complicated to be implementing when you are restarting all the time.

dojo32161 posted: »

Telltale games were releasing so fast it was hard to care and it was becoming pretty apparent that they were being pumped out trying to make

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
    edited December 2021

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how choices work going forward, I feel like only Tales managed to find a creative solution to choices, they technically still don't "matter", to an extent, but being locked out of choices on who you can bring to the final battle still does a great job of making you feel like they do. Batman S2 having two different final episodes was also cool, but it all mostly only hinged on one choice beforehand, in a similar vein to GOT S1.

Really happy the whole script was finished first for once. Telltale rewrites were insane and sometimes I really wonder why it changed so oft

• Just found out that Bigby vs Batman is actually canon but The Wolf Among Us apparently isn't

• You know, I wonder if Bluebeard will return. Who wouldn't want some more DAVE FENNOY in their lives?

In fact, I wonder how much of the original game's cast will return. It wasn't that big, and I suppose it depends on the direction they decide to go in - it's a direct sequel, but is more of a continuation of the first game's plot or a new story borrowing from elements not addressed in season 1. Well, okay I'm pretty sure it's the latter according to the article but you know, I'm still curious.

Just found out that Bigby vs Batman is actually canon but The Wolf Among Us apparently isn't

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited December 2021

I’m guessing that’s because, while Bill Willingham was most likely given the story for Batman vs Bigby in advance, Telltale 1.0 most likely did too many last minute live rewrites for them to be able to consult with Bill Willingham. He originally said Wolf 1 was canon before release, but changed his tune after that.

Just found out that Bigby vs Batman is actually canon but The Wolf Among Us apparently isn't

• I said who I thought would appear earlier, but I would very safely say Bluebeard will appear again. Outside of Bigby and Snow I feel the most obvious characters returning will be - Bluebeard, The Mirror, Bufkin, Beauty and Beast, and Colin. Then Boy Blue and King Cole are practically confirmed I feel. With it being 6 months later it is possible they chose to say Boy Blue didn't start working in the Business Office yet, but I don't see them doing that, and King Cole makes no sense to be absent again.

But Bluebeard is too big of a player to not show up. Maybe his role won't be as big, but I think he is pretty much locked because 1 Who his character is and 2 I feel they want to have as many voice actors return and that main Telltale crew I feel are very easy locks for returning actors.

You know, I wonder if Bluebeard will return. Who wouldn't want some more DAVE FENNOY in their lives? In fact, I wonder how much of the or

• Yeah but like- Bigby vs Batman... canon? Batman is canon to Fables?

I’m guessing that’s because, while Bill Willingham was most likely given the story for Batman vs Bigby in advance, Telltale 1.0 most likely

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited December 2021

Fortnite is canon to Batman.
    Batman is canon to Fables.
    Wolf Among Us is based off Fables.

…Oh my fucking God, Fortnite is canon in Wolf Among Us

Yeah but like- Bigby vs Batman... canon? Batman is canon to Fables?

• edited December 2021

Since Telltale is having this new approach with partnerships I wonder which other company they could work with, like they did with Adhoc and Deck Nine

• I remember in the article Dennis Lenart said 'now that we have more than eight weeks to create an episode'. I don't fully understand what this means but I do think you're right that it'll release late next year or early 2023.

rather than saturate the market, making every release feel like an event, a grand premiere, is what Old Telltale should've done Late

• Definitely Gearbox for another Borderlands Telltale game. Except this time it re-uses Borderlands 3 assets and has first person gameplay!

Box Tv posted: »

Since Telltale is having this new approach with partnerships I wonder which other company they could work with, like they did with Adhoc and Deck Nine

• edited December 2021

So, the picture in the article of the guy doing mocap seems like it's for a scene in Bigby's apartment or office. Based on the lighting, it looks like it could be a continuation of the shot we got in the teaser trailer.

For comparison's sake:

Wild conspiracy theory time: I think this is for the full, For Real™ trailer that Telltale alluded was supposed to be shown at TGA in this tweet. If that's the case, this is most likely the "something substantial" they're promising early next year. Assuming that's the case, when, exactly, do you guys think we're going to see it?

Since this is such an anticipated release, I have a hard time believing that Telltale would drop a trailer on a random weekday with no build-up and call it a day. Stranger things have happened, but I have a strong feeling they're going to want to save the big debut for a venue like TGA so they can get as much exposure as possible. The only major trade show scheduled for Q1 afaik is GDC in San Francisco (21st Mar 2022 - 25th Mar 2022). That seems like the safest bet for when we'll get more news, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't secretly hoping they'd surprise us in January and start 2022 off with a bang lol

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
    edited December 2021

That's about the time between episode releases (barring random big waits like Wolf and TFTB episode 2), they'd only be working on that next episode for that amount of time live.

Ghetsis posted: »

I remember in the article Dennis Lenart said 'now that we have more than eight weeks to create an episode'. I don't fully understand what this means but I do think you're right that it'll release late next year or early 2023.

• It is also a fair assumption that this is just something they are working. Could very easily be a "use window" scene or something.

More interesting I feel is that he has the window open and it seems like he is smoking out of it. Also notice Bigby is wearing no coat and rolled sleeves (possibly just the old model though) but that the sky looks as if a summer sun set. I wonder if this means the game does actually start in the summer. Anyway, this could be specifically for a trailer, but I think it may be more so just a scene in the game rather than just for the trailer.

Isn't PAX usually in March? I could be wrong and I know some of these events have been changed because of covid. Assuming PAX is fine, I think that would probably be a more likely time.

If it turns out they won't do it at an event, I hope Telltale partners with IGN or something to help promote. (Jan 2022 would be a surprise but I think March is a safer bet. I'd be shocked if they really missed the game awards by a few weeks.)

booper posted: »

So, the picture in the article of the guy doing mocap seems like it's for a scene in Bigby's apartment or office. Based on the lighting, it

• Also. In recent light of Batman Vs Bigby being canon but The Wolf Among Us isn't, I have decided to change my stance on Wolf continuity. It should be its own thing and I think Bigby and Snow should smooch!

• edited December 2021

To me, it looks more like an unrendered void. There's no definition to the space outside the window, and if you look closely, the windowsill looks similarly unfinished. I was under the impression that the scene was still a WIP and they didn't add the nighttime filter and snow effects yet, but it's hard to say. Like you said, it could be for anything.

See, I was thinking PAX too because that's the con Telltale seems to always have the biggest presence at, but it's being held at the end of April this year. I guess you could technically say that's still early 2022 in a broad sense, but the blog post made it seem like it would be within the first couple months of 2022, and April seems way too long to go without a trailer that, by all accounts, seemed like it was trying to be rushed out for December 2021 anyway.

It is also a fair assumption that this is just something they are working. Could very easily be a "use window" scene or something. More i

• Let them mash Q ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also. In recent light of Batman Vs Bigby being canon but The Wolf Among Us isn't, I have decided to change my stance on Wolf continuity. It should be its own thing and I think Bigby and Snow should smooch!

• What if I told you that TWAU2 is going to have a golf minigame and instead of "W", it will have an "S" in the title? 😏

• I don't know about you, but I'd definitely play The Spider-Man Among Us 2 (Now with Golf Edition)

AronDracula posted: »

What if I told you that TWAU2 is going to have a golf minigame and instead of "W", it will have an "S" in the title? 😏

• The Sneakywolf Among Us? I'll take.

I'll be honest, I would dig a Wolf golf crossover. In fact, speaking of golf games, I think if a fully voiced acted crossover golf game (think Mario Golf -> but non-Nintendo characters + Poker Night-style dialogue), would kick ass. That's just me though.

What if I told you that TWAU2 is going to have a golf minigame and instead of "W", it will have an "S" in the title? 😏

• edited December 2021

You know I realized that Wolf 2 will probably be a lot slower than Season 1. With the game itself is not being rushed, it should probably slow the pace and make the story have a bit more. Wolf 1 is actually very short compared to other Telltale games and I wouldn't be surprised if it actually is the shortest. However, in episode 1 the pace is noticeably slower compared to the other 4 and AdHoc is mostly made of those who worked on episode 1, so I feel like tone and pace will actually be a lot more similar to Ep 1 of Season 1 which I think is a good thing.

Also I know that was a bit of a joke above, but honestly thinking about it I do think I am gonna be in team non canon. I hope they are willing to break rules to tell a better story. Wolf is probably the best Fables has ever been and I feel Telltale really capitalized on how to use these characters much more than the comics ever did. If they truly decided to dive into non canon, this means certain characters can show up, and even some characters can die. But I feel the big one people often say why they want the game to be stand alone is Bigby and Snow relationship. Which I can agree with, narratively having another game that is all "will they won't they" can be a bit tiresome (plus casual fans wonder why even after all these years of waiting it didnt happen.) But honestly I think that may lead to how they can easily do a "non-canon, canon game" where it still follows comic continuity but it doesn't care about retcons. For example from the start of the Fables comic Snow implies she knows Bigby wants a relationship with her, but the implying is pretty blatant. If I remember right at the end of the first series she basically just tells Bigby to ask her out like a normal person. That first series also could easily imply they did have a relationship at one point. So honestly if they wanted to, they could easily have it so at one point Bigby and Snow did try to have a relationship but it fell apart due to whatever reason, which honestly would match the theme and tone of Wolf well enough for it not to work out in the end while still letting players play with. Technically it breaks canon, but it would be more of a retcon. So even if AdHoc is still gonna follow canon rules, I honestly hope they do things like that where they don't just let the comic that is no where near as good as the game dictate what would be best for the story.

• me playing wolf among us season 2 episode 4 and the choice for the bigby and snow extremely graphic to a ridiculous extent sex scene option finally appears as I return to the forums to tell everyone the good news (I am the first person to successfully make every snow brownie point choice the entire season)

lupinb0y posted: »

Let them mash Q ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Ooh yes it's a good thing we'll have a couple weeks to discuss that!

me playing wolf among us season 2 episode 4 and the choice for the bigby and snow extremely graphic to a ridiculous extent sex scene option

• That’s how New Telltale will differentiate themselves from Old Telltale. They show it. They show all of it.

me playing wolf among us season 2 episode 4 and the choice for the bigby and snow extremely graphic to a ridiculous extent sex scene option

• Personally I'm on the side of sticking to canon, minor retcons are fine like the whole Bigby chase thing (even that line in the comics was probably a bit of an exaggeration on how low they were), but I don't think the Snow/Bigby will they/won't they thing would be much of an issue unless they play it up, though, going by the end of the first game, Snow probably doesn't have much time or patience for it at the moment.

• Don't know what else to say that hasn't been said already it's great to finally have some news again after so long i was a bit worried with The Expanse but it really seems like they know what they're doing so that's fantastic.

• Make it happen Telltale

• I wouldnt say having no Bigby and Snow romance option thing would actually hurt the story, but it is something I feel for those who don't read the comics will not like. If it were to appear I don't think it should be that present and in the end if chosen to follow should probably lead to failure. If Wolf 2 has Bigby and Snow not really have a scene that goes further than some of the Wolf 1 scenes, I feel some people may be confused on why nothing is really happening with that relationship.

In general I am starting to think being noncanon will be for the best. Willingham has such a weird priority on what is and not canon. Batman vs Bigby is canon. So the Fables are all exposed and theres a magical castle in New York and then Batman shows up and fucks around with Bigby- but my god the 80s noir part of the story is ruining the canon!!! Prince Charming can't appear because the comic vaguely infers he may have not been to Fabletown in X many years but here's Batman! And again, honestly Wolf will always be leagues ahead of the Fables comics and Wolf figured out how to use these characters so much better. The romance part of Snow and Bigby could easily be improved as it is honestly shit in the comics. Accidental half-rapey romance thing followed by Snow becoming a very stereotypical "weak woman" who "surrenders" to Bigby is a very lame and dumb way to think how the Bigby and Snow romance goes in the comic.

Personally I'm on the side of sticking to canon, minor retcons are fine like the whole Bigby chase thing (even that line in the comics was p

• Just to continue and completely spam this thread, I wonder how much of the original cast will return if their character will return? Wolf is in a bit of a weird situation where a good amount of the cast simply does not or seemingly does not act anymore.

Holly's actress only ever voiced Holly and never did any other acting.

Gren's actor's last performance was in 2014

Jack and Flycatcher's actors seemingly quit

Nerissa's actress hasn't performed since 2016

and Toad's actor has not acted since 2017

Pretty large chunk of living characters who seem a bit iffy if their actor will return.

• It's not unheard of for voice actors who haven't done much in several years or only a few VA roles return for a long awaited sequel, though it'll all be up to them.

Just to continue and completely spam this thread, I wonder how much of the original cast will return if their character will return? Wolf is

• Yep. One of the biggest examples probably being Rob Wiethoff, the voice of John Marston. Aside from a radio drama in 2013, he didn't do any other professional voice work instead choosing to focus on his family, until Rockstar called him in to do Red Dead Redemption 2.

It's not unheard of for voice actors who haven't done much in several years or only a few VA roles return for a long awaited sequel, though it'll all be up to them.

• @dojo32161 @lupinb0y

Both pretty true but iirc from that Wolf stream these are in some weird positions.

Holly was apparently a local mother who just wanted "to try it out" and seemingly didn't really try to focus on this being a career. So although she may come back if asked, 8 years is a long time to ask someone to come back when they were never planning on really focusing that much on it.

Apparently Flycatcher's voice actor ditched voice acting because he is now doing business stuff and is super rich so I would say he is a hard not coming back. The rest I suppose is a coin toss. Gren I feel would be pretty likely to return, but you are correct that all of them in theory could possibly return. (Mostly just came across the fact that a good handful don't really act anymore, and that there are at least 2 with pretty strange and unique stories behind the scenes.)

• Apparently Flycatcher's voice actor ditched voice acting because he is now doing business stuff and is super rich so I would say he is a hard not coming back.

Quick Google search tells me it's not in the least bit unlikely that he would return. He hasn't ditched voice acting either. The man advertises himself as a voice actor on his Twitter and his website (a clip of TWAU is on the front page albeit pretty far down). Sure he produces some not that big shows now but he did that to a lesser degree in 2013 too. He mostly does narrator gigs now but he does them a lot.

@dojo32161 @lupinb0y Both pretty true but iirc from that Wolf stream these are in some weird positions. Holly was apparently a local m

• Probably didn't remember it correctly from that live stream (and it is a bit too long for me to double check not knowing when it is said lol) but I remembered them saying something about him being a real big shot now who doesn't voice act anymore. Granted it seems this stream happened before his most recent credits. Guess they were exaggerating on stream or I am completely mistaking which actor they were talking about, or I am pulling out fake facts from my head. Either way, I'm sure you are correct thanks for looking out!

captainivy1 posted: »

Apparently Flycatcher's voice actor ditched voice acting because he is now doing business stuff and is super rich so I would say he is a har

• Bigby is going to die in the first 5 minutes of the first episode of Season 2. I'mma feel so bad for you to not believe me.

• non canon wolf 2 monkey paw moment

Bigby is going to die in the first 5 minutes of the first episode of Season 2. I'mma feel so bad for you to not believe me.

• The Wolf Among Us: A New Frontier
    Bigby Wolf dies in the first few minutes of Episode 201, and you spend the remainder of TWAU: ANF playing as Little Red Riding Hood, who has the Woodsman kill Bigby because he broke into Grandma's house to eat pudding.

Bigby is going to die in the first 5 minutes of the first episode of Season 2. I'mma feel so bad for you to not believe me.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.