Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

Comments

• Completely fan-made, but Corridor Crew manages to recreate Spider-Verse's visual/editing style really well in this neat video on what if Holland went to the animated Sony-verse?

• edited November 2022

In unfortunate news, the animation industry continues to get rectally annihilated.

A number of staff working on Spider-Man: Freshman Year have been laid off and there are rumours that the previously announced second season, titled 'Sophomore Year', might be in trouble. Disney is currently going through a budget cut phase and has already cancelled a number of projects both known and unknown, and this series is supposedly in their crosshairs. The series is still planned to release in 2024 as scheduled, but the studio won't be moving forward with a second season until they can gauge public interest.

• edited November 2022

Dang that sucks. Sounds terrible.

(Uh: off-topic, whoops)
    Sorry about you potentially losing your twitter artist community btw, I can't believe it, but that site looks ready to drop off a cliff at a moment's notice now, at least according to a lot of people trending it. Everything has been one steep drop into oblivion for its staff and services the past few weeks. It looks insane.
    Fingers crossed this is all just one terrible Musk decision and somehow he puts someone competent in charge, or this is somehow such a failure he has to sell it back again. :tongue:

lupinb0y posted: »

In unfortunate news, the animation industry continues to get rectally annihilated. A number of staff working on Spider-Man: Freshman Year

• edited November 2022

Lol, I've been following as many artists as I can on other platforms. Unfortunately not everyone has an alternative platform they can hop on to in case the site goes kaput.

From what I've heard, the site probably won't implode... uh, for now anyway. Apparently Twitter employees were given a 36 hour ultimatum, either work long grueling hours under rule of thumb or get 3 months worth of severance pay, with many people taking the latter. Sink boy then had the doors to the company locked in order to prevent the employees who quit from returning. Any issues that the website is currently having is due to severe understaffing. Before the buyout, Twitter had a headcount of nearly 8000 employees, and after the buyout it got cut down to around 3000. Supposedly it is now less than half that.

AChicken posted: »

Dang that sucks. Sounds terrible. (Uh: off-topic, whoops) Sorry about you potentially losing your twitter artist community btw, I can't

• Oh well, at least we are still getting Across the Spider-Verse part 1 and 2. I don't understand why people say Disney should get the license from Sony. They are both equally bad for business. Both of them (so far) have delivered only one great thing: No Way Home and Spider-Verse.

In unfortunate news, the animation industry continues to get rectally annihilated. A number of staff working on Spider-Man: Freshman Year

• In some more unfortunate news, Chris Hemsworth is taking a break from acting after discovering that he has a genetic predisposition for Alzheimer's while filming his documentary series, Limitless. He hasn't been diagnosed with the disease itself, but he is at high risk (8-10 times higher than average) due having to two copies of the APOE4 gene passed down from both his parents.

• The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special is out on D+ and it's a jolly fun time! Equal parts funny, heartwarming, but also kinda mean in it's own way. Mantis and Drax are the big stars of the special as they tear their way through Hollywood acting like general menaces in an effort to kidnap Kevin Bacon as a Christmas present for Quill. Mantis is less meek in this than her previous appearances and a lot more... deranged. I guess prolonged exposure to the Guardians helped build up her confidence, for better or for worse. She'd be a terrifying super villain if she weren't so innocent. It's very low stakes and all around a silly time, but it does introduce a couple things into the groups dynamic that'll be interesting to see going forward.

Spoilers

• I love Cosmo, she's adorable. She's also the best CGI dog I've ever seen.
    • They finally tied up that one loose end from Guardians 2 with Mantis being Quills sister. I'd like to see the two hang out more in the future to really build on their siblingship.
    • Mark Hamill has a two second cameo as a drunk hobo taking a swig from a bottle. 10/10.
    • Mantis was super mean to Drax in this lol. I guess it makes sense considering how much Drax trash talked her in the past.
    • The Guardians now run Nowhere which is pretty interesting. I wonder how they managed to do that. They also confirm that The Collector survived Thanos's attack from Infinity War.
    • I can't believe Nebula stole Bucky's arm.
    • I don't like the way Kraglin's scalp looks with the fin. It's really gross.
    • Nice to see Yondu again. Even if he is in rotoscoped animated form.
  • edited November 2022

In recent Marvel news:

Across the Spider-Verse is going to have 6 distinct animation styles for each of its main universes featured.
    (Also, Part 2 for the film has been renamed "Beyond the Spider-Verse", which will likely be a trilogy closer.)

Ryan Reynolds helped write a "Deadpool Christmas Movie" that never got green-lit due to the Disney/Fox merger.

Disney/Marvel (may have) accidentally spoiled a key plot point of the GOTG Holiday Special in its "Marvel Legends" recap series, by accidentally including a once-deleted scene involving Mantis' true parentage.
    They have since removed the episodes yesterday and they are still nowhere to be seen.

In other, other news, I am very sad I can't watch the Holiday Special until my sister comes home for Christmas Break, because it should be a great holiday movie to watch as a family, and I want to be nice...

• The official trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is out!

It's a lot more serious looking than the previous two movies, which makes sense considering this will be the last we'll see of this lineup of the Guardians. There's a feeling of finality to it, especially with what's going on with Rocket. I hope James Gunn goes out with a bang.

• New Spider-Verse trailer coming on the 13th of December, or, the 4-year anniversary-ish of the original Spider-Verse. We got some new images recently to tide us over.

• So the Mantis episode of Marvel Legends came back to Disney Plus. (Drax's episode is still missing)

And... it seems they didn't change a thing. The recap ends with a scene where

Drax urges Mantis to tell Peter that she is his sister

Dangit Disney. That wasn't in any of the movies. Pretty sure we aren't supposed to know that, if it leads into the Holiday Special like that.

I can already see that being a surprise "present" revealed in the Special, but now that surprise is ruined. Just a strange move overall. 🙄

• edited December 2022

Finally watched the Guardians Holiday Special.

It was very fun! Loved how it added in a classic "animated Christmas special" vibe to the beginning and end, and was overall a very funny, and at parts demented, Holiday Special about misguided kidnappings for the sake of holiday cheer.

The entire ending sequence with everything lit up was great, and the Special had a great use of rockin' Christmas songs. The two original ones here (especially the one in the intro) were great.

Maybe I'll watch it next year! (And I might have to, if the next Guardians film is gonna be the last -- and surely break my heart)

I like that they kind of toss out the whole "you should tell Quill that you are his sister bit" early just to fill people in on the secret. But it is still pretty weird, since IIRC that revelation just isn't in the main canon movie, and it's delivered like it's already a known fact.

Cosmo is totally adorable. The CGI is very impressive, I nearly thought it was a real dog, but there was something a little too smooth with how it moved. (And she's played by Maria Bakalova! She's been rising up in Hollywood these days!)

The scene at the end where everyone was getting gifts was really heartwarming. Rocket finally got that arm! I won't ask where Nebula would have gotten that...

There's also that new trailer for Vol. 3.

Oooh, I'm going to miss James Gunn's antics with these rag-tag family.

It looks like it's gonna be a darker, sadder entry, to say goodbye to the group. I'm worried for Rocket here, looks like he'll be facing his destiny. And we're getting his origin story finally (in movie form)! Wooo

Will Poulter as Adam kinda just randomly appeared in the trailer, so I wonder how he factors into all this. He doesn't seem like the main villain here.

But the one who does seem like it? Chukwudi Iwuji who - as research states - is playing The High Evolutionary! I don't know who that is, but I'm excited to find out.
    He's the guy who played Murn in the Peacemaker show. Loved his performance there as the leader of the crew, so I'm very happy he's back with Gunn for this project!

May the 5th, can't wait!

• Less than 6 months to go until Spider-Verse 2!! June the 2nd can't come fast enough

Looking like Miles gets into a lot of trouble with a bunch of other Spideys! That sequence looks chock-full of references and easter eggs omg.
    They didn't even show the main villain The Spot either!

Neat to see a trailer hold back for once. With No Way Home's first trailer not revealing much, or this one mostly being a recap, Sony's been learning not to reveal too much from their stories.

• edited December 2022

Looks absolutely fantastic! I wonder what's got Miles so down and forced all the other Spidey's to go after him. Also since the first movie focused more on his relationship with his dad, maybe this will focus more on his mom considering the speech she's giving him.

Also Playstation Spidey is in there too! It'd be cool if they got Yuri Lowenthal back to voice him and have him do a small scene. Peter B. Parker had a kid too! And it's Mayday WOOOOOOOOO!

Less than 6 months to go until Spider-Verse 2!! June the 2nd can't come fast enough Looking like Miles gets into a lot of trouble wit

• Some first looks at three more characters that will make an appearance in Across the Spider-Verse that didn't make it into the trailer!

Spider-Man India

Spider-Punk

Mayday Parker

• That's probably just concept art, but Spider-Punk looks crazy!! seeing all that in motion is gonna be so cool!

Mayday Parker is probably going to be sticking with Peter B. throughout the movie, considering he was shown with a baby carrier. Unless he's just in the film briefly while in that Spider-Nexus thing.

There's also this piece of concept art shown off along with the others

Some sort of futuristic utopia universe?

Some first looks at three more characters that will make an appearance in Across the Spider-Verse that didn't make it into the trailer! Spider-Man India Spider-Punk Mayday Parker

• Donald Glover is set to produce and star in Sony's next Marvel movie based on... The Hypno Hustler.

• Wait is this part of that Sony Villain Verse?

They really scraping the bottom of the bottom of the barrel just to keep the rights lol

Donald Glover is set to produce and star in Sony's next Marvel movie based on... The Hypno Hustler.

• Wait is this part of that Sony Villain Verse?

Yep. Apparently Donald Glover was interested in the musical aspect of the character and was given freedom to take the character in whatever direction he wanted.

Wait is this part of that Sony Villain Verse? They really scraping the bottom of the bottom of the barrel just to keep the rights lol

• The first poster for Across the Spider-Verse is out!

Turns out Spider-Punk straight up looks like his concept art. Seems like he's going to look like living graffiti, I love it!

• Spider-Punk looks really cool, definitely evokes living graffiti and is such a great tease as to how they're going to shake up the animation styles across the Multiverse this time around.

I can't remember where I read it, either in an interview or a report about a comment from one of the directors/writers, but this reminds me of the movie's design for The Spot.

Allegedly, he will also feature a unique style of animation. Where, at the beginning of the film he'll have a more wire-frame, sketchbook-like appearance. Kind of unstable in how he moves and looks. But as the film progresses and his power increases, he'll start to get more detailed and have a cleaner design.

The first poster for Across the Spider-Verse is out! Turns out Spider-Punk straight up looks like his concept art. Seems like he's going to look like living graffiti, I love it!

• edited December 2022

There's also a wider version of this poster featuring a few more characters!

SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN BABYYYYYYYYYYY

The first poster for Across the Spider-Verse is out! Turns out Spider-Punk straight up looks like his concept art. Seems like he's going to look like living graffiti, I love it!

• OH MY GOD I KNEW IT YOU CAN SEE HIS LITTLE WIREFRAME BASE ON HIS ANKLES

new twitter post yo

• What in heaven's name is Sony thinking? Doing something new isn't a bad idea but after the so-bad-but-enjoyable Venom films and the memeable disaster, Morbius, there is no chance in hell they are gonna redeem themselves with Marvel characters that no one cares for.

Donald Glover is set to produce and star in Sony's next Marvel movie based on... The Hypno Hustler.

• This is No Way Home on steroids and I WANT IN!!!! I don't expect them to have huge roles but I really hope we get to hear some voicelines from the most known variations of Spider-Man, like Yuri Lowenthal as Insomniac's Spider, Josh Keaton as Spectacular Spider and Christopher Daniel Barnes as 90's Spider.

There's also a wider version of this poster featuring a few more characters! SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN BABYYYYYYYYYYY

• like Yuri Lowenthal as Insomniac's Spider, Josh Keaton as Spectacular Spider and Christopher Daniel Barnes as 90's Spider.

Omg now I really want them to sneak in Neil Patrick Harris' 3D Spider-Man in there. I've been rewatching that show on Disney Plus recently and it's still a really fun and mature take on the character. Love his portrayal of Peter and Spidey.

AronDracula posted: »

This is No Way Home on steroids and I WANT IN!!!! I don't expect them to have huge roles but I really hope we get to hear some voicelines fr

• Omg now I really want them to sneak in Neil Patrick Harris' 3D Spider-Man in there. I've been rewatching that show on Disney Plus recently and it's still a really fun and mature take on the character. Love his portrayal of Peter and Spidey.

I see you are a man of refined taste.

like Yuri Lowenthal as Insomniac's Spider, Josh Keaton as Spectacular Spider and Christopher Daniel Barnes as 90's Spider. Omg now I

• Oh yeah, I am thinking of giving this series a shot at some point.

like Yuri Lowenthal as Insomniac's Spider, Josh Keaton as Spectacular Spider and Christopher Daniel Barnes as 90's Spider. Omg now I

• edited December 2022

It's pretty good.

My thoughts and very minor spoilers of villains for anyone interested

It can sometimes look VERY dated by today's animated standards (the environments are usually very basic) but it uses a lot of motion-capture performance, so there's plenty of action moments that look very fluid.

Neil Patrick Harris, Lisa Loeb, Ian Ziering do great performances as Peter, MJ and Harry. And Harry's obligatory "Spider-Man Murdered my Father!" In every episode is always funny to me.
    Neil has a great thing where he kind if deepens his voice when playing Spider-Man, which is a great touch.

The show focuses mainly on original villains, which I've never really liked. Though the Pterodax episode is my favourite of all of them, really smashes Spidey's and Peter's worlds together perfectly.
    There are thankfully iconic villains like Electro, Lizard, Silver Sable, which have great episodes (especially Electro IMO) but there's also Kingpin, who despite having an awesome voice, they just turn his character into a walking fat joke which I hate.

I also really like the techno/synth-heavy soundtrack. There's plenty of pulse-pounding tunes that are fun every time.
    Also, the transitions use a kind of 'camera-zoom-in' technique which I've always thought was cool

If you ever check it out, note that most places including Disney Plus have it out of order! Nothing gets it right except the DVDs.
    It should be this
    Otherwise you'll get Electro happen in the "first episode" which will be super weird when there's plenty other episodes with Max Dillon being a totally normal human guy.

@lupinb0y

My Man!! B)

AronDracula posted: »

Oh yeah, I am thinking of giving this series a shot at some point.

• Should also note that the series was originally a continuation of the first Raimi Spider-Man movie, before it got cancelled and immediately de-canonised by Spider-Man 2.

It's pretty good. My thoughts and very minor spoilers of villains for anyone interested (Spoiler) If you ever check it out, note th

• edited January 2023

We finally watched Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

It was really great! I liked how this movie involved a lot more diplomatic discussions between important characters, and a lot of very quiet scenes involving just talking. Made the times when action sprung up even more exciting.

The movie was a great movie about a burgeoning alliance/war over mutual invaders, and also a collection of moments of grief for the entire cast and the audience themselves.
    I think they balanced the two very well in this film.

Riri Williams' inclusion was nice, didn't appear for too much but she had a nice introduction I'm interested to see more of in her series next year.

The little twist in the last third of the film

when Shuri becomes the next Black Panther was very interesting. N'Jadaka (Michael B Jordan) comes back for a scene to impart some wisdom on vengeance that Shuri harbours. That was a neat twist on her character, one that I never expected she'd take.
    I gotta say, I don't really like her suit design though. It looks a bit too busy with many fragmented lines and the amount of reflected gold...

Her Black Panther theme song is epic though! Love the main riff of it.

Also I nearly had one of the worst movie experiences of my life, but thankfully they left after a bit.
    After the sad, quiet prologue happened, a baby in the front row started crying. And it only got louder from there. Through the entire ship invasion sequence to yhe scene past that, there was a crying baby.
    The people who brought the baby left, but came back after a few minutes to the further-front-row. But the baby still cried after that so they fully left.
    Man, I'm sorry but that was quite annoying. Hope they can get their money back and pay for a babysitter next time 😄

• edited January 2023

Unfortunate news, Jeremy Renner is currently in intensive care after an accident involving a snow plow. He suffered severe injuries to his leg and blunt force trauma to his chest. Apparently he had lost a lot of blood in the incident, but his neighbour who is a doctor, helped apply a tourniquet while waiting for emergency services. He was then airlifted to a hospital.

Hopefully he pulls through, but unfortunately due to the nature of the incident (the snow plow is the size of a small truck), it is likely that his leg has suffered irreparable damage.

• Holy shit!
    I had heard vague news that he was "in intensive care but in stable condition", but no details on the nature of the incident or how serious it was

injuries to his leg and blunt force trauma to his chest. Apparently he had lost a lot of blood in the incident, but his neighbour who is a doctor, helped apply a tourniquet while waiting for emergency services.

That's sounds insane and scary! I hope he pulls through with as little damage to himself as possible! It's starting to sound like a life-altering accident... yikes.

Unfortunate news, Jeremy Renner is currently in intensive care after an accident involving a snow plow. He suffered severe injuries to his l

• edited January 2023

A new trailer for Quantumania is out!

Very minimal humour like the previous trailer, which is certainly different from the usual Ant-Man affair. Kang and MODOK look great so far! Getting major death flags over Scott, though I could see it being a red herring and someone else is gonna kick it.

Potential spoiler

At 0:56 you can clearly see MODOK's face at the back and it looks like Corey Stolls who played Darren Cross/Yellowjacket from the first movie.

• edited January 2023

Looks like Marvel is going places. DC would’ve been a serious rival had WB not waste their time on Harry Potter, LOTR and Game of Thrones.

• edited January 2023

Wow, pretty chilling trailer.
    I'm betting Scott's "demise" teased here is some sort of red herring. Maybe it's some variant or literally doesn't happen. They wouldn't heavily tease such a major moment from the film like that, especially of the main character I think.

Looks like it'll finally start to set up Kang's introduction as the big villain to watch out for. "Witness the beginning of a new dynasty" is a very cool tagline and tease...

Something about this film's visuals just isn't clicking with me. It all looks very green-screen-ish and like a lot of CGI visuals. (MCU's first 90% animated film woooo)

The scene involving the mountain of Ant-Men piling up on each other looks pretty wild though! Mind-bending science!

A new trailer for Quantumania is out! Very minimal humour like the previous trailer, which is certainly different from the usual Ant-

• Introducing the Spider-Logos for Across the Spider-Verse. I can only recognize Miles, 2099, and Punk spidey's logos... (First, Second of image 1, Third of image 2)

• New Quantumania posters out!
    They range from cool to "another horrible floating head poster"

Very cool, almost 2D poster.

Another "Shapes" poster... at least they're usually organized around something specific.

Why is Wasp fading out of existence ??? Too much empty space

• An even BIGGER Across the Spider-Verse poster has been released!

That's a lotta Spider-Men.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.