Monkey Island 3a: The Secret Revealed or your money back

edited January 2012 in Tales of Monkey Island
Tales of Monkey Island are finished, DeathSpank is finished and nearing release. I hope Ron will once get to create this game. If DeathSpank is a success, he won't need the lottery to buy the rights :D

What would you expect from a game like that (except the revelation of the Secret)?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    There are akready several threads trying to suggest the MI3a or MI5 or MI6 or whatever you wanna call that.
  • edited June 2010
    dthoupis wrote: »
    There are akready several threads trying to suggest the MI3a or MI5 or MI6 or whatever you wanna call that.

I want MI 1.5 3A thand dont negate CMI 4.5 (or 5 depends how you view TMI XD) all in the same game..oh and a pony
  • edited June 2010
    I would like to find out what the heck the original team wanted to show yes but I don't want anything that cancels out any of the games after MI2.
  • edited June 2010
    I would like to find out what the heck the original team wanted to show yes but I don't want anything that cancels out any of the games after MI2.

Still, I can't think of a satisfying way to reveal the original MI3 story without making it a direct sequel to MI2. I certainly don't want to know the secret in an interview only, or anything like that. It's no more disrespect to the creators of other games, than any gamedeveloper who decides to reboot a series. In this case, this reboot only needs to be a temporarily solution even.
  • edited June 2010
    There is enough material to make a storyline between MI2 and Curse. Although people can be explained that this is how the original team envisioned it there is nothing bad about it. Still Curse and Escape and Tales do exist as games so nothing can really cancel them, not even an MI3a if you want.
  • edited June 2010
    There is enough material to make a storyline between MI2 and Curse. Although people can be explained that this is how the original team envisioned it there is nothing bad about it. Still Curse and Escape and Tales do exist as games so nothing can really cancel them, not even an MI3a if you want.

Well, that depends if you want to spend the entire MI3a in a theme park. Because, that's all there is between MI2 and MI3. Which is why I wonder why they revisited the theme park at the end of MI3 instead of just having a themepark chapter in the beginning of it. It's like they changed their minds mid-game and said "heck, let's try and make an explanation of the MI2 ending anyway". I think they should've gone all the way, instead of just touching on the subject.
  • edited June 2010
    Perhaps yes but a lot of fans where asking for a valid explanation of the ending of MI2. You need to remember that at the time of Curse internet was not so wide and thus only few could scheme and think about why Ron Gilbert is not in the team e.t.c e.t.c. Don't think me as a Ron Gilbert worshipper but still the original creator had an idea that has to be finalised to reward the fans of the original games no offense to newer fans. I played Mi1 and MI2 when first were release and was very thrilled and down where I am, I had no idea MI3 was never coming and when Curse came out I had no idea that the original team was not involved until internet was spreaded and I researched it over the internet. Funnily enough last year a few days before Tales and SMISE was announced I started searching the web again for new MI leads and a week later the games were announced!!!
  • edited June 2010
    Cyrus7 wrote: »
    If DeathSpank is a success, he won't need the lottery to buy the rights :D
    Or he just teams up with Telltale, who already managed a deal with LucasArts for Monkey Island. A Monkey 3a should be very possible by the same means.

I wouldn't worry about breaking continuity for games after MI2 at all. It won't be a Star Trek 11, and the case is a little different here. :)
  • edited June 2010
    The secret is that there is no secret.
  • edited June 2010
    apenpaap wrote: »
    The secret is that there is no secret.

Basically, yes.

And the ending to MI2 was a joke, not some deep serious thing that requires explanation. It was never meant to be taken seriously, it's freaking called Big Whoop. For crying out loud, how much more obvious that it was just a silly joke can it be?
  • edited June 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfYuWgHfYRU
    According to this interview, Ron was not doing that ending "just to be strange", he had planned out a whole story for his third game, as well as the secret itself. (About 3 minutes in).

I'm hoping with Ron now (apparently still) jobless that he could go to LucasArts and direct Monkey Island 3 for release next year the way he wanted to make it. They could call it Monkey Island 3 because curse is just called "The Curse of Monkey Island". Unfortunately, with Lucas' new president, we have yet to know if another Monkey Island game will ever be made again. :(
  • edited June 2010
    If it was gona happen id rather see the secret revealed in MI 6 then MI3a
  • edited June 2010
    Perhaps Ron has decided he's happy with the direction Monkey Island has gone in and is glad he didn't get his ending.

I am curious as to what plans he had though because to be honest MI2 seemed to wrap it up.
  • edited June 2010
    I hope there will be a SOMI v1.2 between SOMI and LCR, just to... I don't know what. But then, I want a LCR v1.2 previous to the CMI 3a, that obviously should be done by Ron, of course. Then maybe we should get a EFMI v1.0, cause obviously, the released game is the EFMI beta version and Ron can explain better the whole 'new' story. And we need too, then, a TOMI alpha edition to explain what happened with Mr Mandril before Tales, in case Ron does not explain it on the EFMI v1.0 version.
  • edited June 2010
    mother f**king alternate universes in this mother f**king forum
  • edited June 2010
    Just in case: I was in ironic mode on.
  • edited June 2010
    If it was gona happen id rather see the secret revealed in MI 6 then MI3a
    Tales was MI6, remember? :D
    Perhaps Ron has decided he's happy with the direction Monkey Island has gone in and is glad he didn't get his ending.
    If that's the case, then he should just upload the script for anyone to read. But since he didn't, I assume, he still has plans with it.
  • edited June 2010
    Tales was MI6, remember? :D

Fixed.
  • edited June 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Fixed.

Thankyou very much. Someone should start a counter for how many times the "Tales isn't MI5" argument has been started.
  • edited June 2010
    Thankyou very much. Someone should start a counter for how many times the "Tales isn't MI5" argument has been started.

140.jpg

...we'll start from here.
  • edited June 2010
    I could have sworn its 302
  • edited June 2010
    lisacounter.png
  • edited June 2010
    lisacounter.png

i could have sworn it was 7452...
  • edited June 2010
    i could have sworn it was 7452...

lisacounter2.png

There. Now shutup; this image editing is getting worse by the minute.
  • edited June 2010
    An idea just flashed in my mind: can it be possible that Ron is already working on this project? DeathSpank was in the works since 2004 and was announced only in 2007; besides, he kept "Tales of Monkey Island" secret almost till the release.

Ron talked about his ideas two or three years ago, but now he's suspiciously quiet...
  • edited June 2010
    lisacounter2.png

There. Now shutup; this image editing is getting worse by the minute.

I counted its actuly over 9000!!!!
  • edited June 2010
    nappa9000bg8.jpg

WHAT 9000?!
  • edited June 2010
    There's even a wiki page related to it :D
  • edited June 2010
    I think the biggest question here is... how many actually cares about the continuity between CMI and up to Tales?

Personally, they might as well be completely independant for all I care. The continuity between them was already somewhat derailed on CMI (but not so much noticable that I cared alot about it), EMI basically messed it up completely (at least, I don't agree with the way it took), and Tales almost ignored everything that had happened since... well, since E'n'G got married. I simply don't care about the continuity anymore, hence why I wouldn't mind a MI3a. That's also why I always thought a series called Memoirs of Guybrush Threepwood would work - forget about the continuity. Just make individual games with a couple of references here and there, but don't make permanent changes. Tales did this pretty well, and that's probably why some people (me not included) think it's the best in the series (crazy people). :D
  • edited June 2010
    StarEye wrote: »
    I think the biggest question here is... how many actually cares about the continuity between CMI and up to Tales?

Me. A lot.

The continuity exists in Monkey Island to some degree, so let's not completely screw up the canon and destroy the continuity. The last thing that we need is an ultimate timeline; we do not need conflicting information on the wiki pages. If Gilbert is going to make 'his MI3', then he can forget the '3' part and just make a 'MI6' with elements of what he originally wanted to include in his 'MI3'. Who says Gilbert isn't a strong enough writer to alter his planned storyline a little to allow the continuity to remain. Curse, Escape and Tales are good games, I love them, and I don't need to see them ignored and pushed aside to make way for a freaking nostalgia-fest.

StarEye, just so you know, this post wasn't solely directed at you, but many comments that I have read relating to this topic.
  • edited June 2010
    StarEye wrote: »
    That's also why I always thought a series called Memoirs of Guybrush Threepwood would work.

I would enjoy a game like this. In fact, I actually suggested it in one of these threads. But it would have to refrain from conflicting with the existing games.

Edit: Sorry for double post. I would include this post in the above post... but, I can't be bothered editing it in.
  • edited June 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfYuWgHfYRU
    According to this interview, Ron was not doing that ending "just to be strange", he had planned out a whole story for his third game, as well as the secret itself. (About 3 minutes in).

I'm hoping with Ron now (apparently still) jobless that he could go to LucasArts and direct Monkey Island 3 for release next year the way he wanted to make it. They could call it Monkey Island 3 because curse is just called "The Curse of Monkey Island". Unfortunately, with Lucas' new president, we have yet to know if another Monkey Island game will ever be made again. :(

I always thought the bit when the Voodoo Lady first introduces herself in SoMI, about Guybrush finding out things about himself and his world that would terrify him (not sure of the exact quote/too lazy to look it up!) was a tad meladramatic. But then, when you put it together with the "Guybrush is a kid and LeChuck is his brother" it could make sense that for a pirate-boy Guybrush, that would be a very scary truth!

Still, I doubt that the MI2 ending was as plain as it seemed. It's a pity that we will probably not see a Ron Gilbert MI3a. I don't see that he has any reason to make one now since it could never live up to the strangely mythical status it has achieved amongst MI fans.
  • edited January 2012
    its simple make the game during guybrushs time at the carnival of the danmed and the escape from it!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.