Have episodes 2 & 3 been delayed on the iPad?

edited July 2010 in Sam & Max
Not sure if they have been delayed or whether the whole series on the platform has been abandoned. There isn't very much talk on the subject, I did a few forum searches, but I don't see anything tangible on the subject. Any word from anybody on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

--I did see talk about a Wallace and Gromit game and a Puzzle detective game (which both look awesome by the way).

I just finished episode one, it had some minor hitches now and then (it could probably use an update), but overall, it was an awesome game. The iPad has the potential to be a great platform for games such as this.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I've been wondering that too. I don't have an iPad but found the lack of discussion regarding it odd. I'm wondering if it's been abandoned as a viable format for Telltale.
  • edited June 2010
    That's a terrible shame if it's true. Even with it's bugs, I really enjoyed it.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm wondering if it's been abandoned as a viable format for Telltale.

Puzzle Agent is being released for iPad, so no, it hasn't been abandoned as a viable format for Telltale. The worst possible scenario would be that it's been put aside for Sam and Max... And really we don't know much about that to really speculate.

If there were a lot of bugs and glitches in the first episode, it's possible they're trying to sort them out first.
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Puzzle Agent is being released for iPad, so no, it hasn't been abandoned as a viable format for Telltale. The worst possible scenario would be that it's been put aside for Sam and Max... And really we don't know much about that to really speculate.

If there were a lot of bugs and glitches in the first episode, it's possible they're trying to sort them out first.

That's the name of the other game: Puzzle Agent. That looks awesome!

The bugs for the game included general choppiness, a rare crash and an occasional (VERY occasional) static sound through the speakers which lasts about 2-3 seconds.

I was still able go play through the entire game. Which is more than can be said if I didn't own an iPad. My computer is a first generation MacBook which doesn't meet the specs to play it... And I own an Xbox not a PS3.

Having said that, the story for the Devil's Playhouse was top notch. A real step up from the previous episodes, which were already excellent.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm fairly certain they are just putting off the iPad ports until they have a more stable version of their engine running on the iPad, since the first episode was very very rushed to hit the launch date.
  • edited June 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain they are just putting off the iPad ports until they have a more stable version of their engine running on the iPad, since the first episode was very very rushed to hit the launch date.

Not to be pedantic or anything, but isn't it called a "build" rather than a "port"? Or are they the same?

I agree with you though.
  • edited June 2010
    Not to be pedantic or anything, but isn't it called a "build" rather than a "port"? Or are they the same?

I agree with you though.

Since the base platform is PC, anything else is considered a port of the original.
  • edited June 2010

Well that's what you get for making a game for limited hardware that has not been released yet.
  • edited June 2010

I agree with you though.
    A "build" is any compiled and playable version of a game, no matter what platform (PC or console, it doesn't matter).

A "port" is a version of a game for one platform, where the game itself was originally designed for another platform. Often, ports are released well after the original game comes out.

In this case, the Sam and Max iPad version is definitely a build of the game. But it would also be a port, since it wasn't originally made for the iPad, rather transferred to that system after the initial release.
  • edited June 2010
    ATMachine wrote: »
    A "build" is any compiled and playable version of a game, no matter what platform (PC or console, it doesn't matter).

A "port" is a version of a game for one platform, where the game itself was originally designed for another platform. Often, ports are released well after the original game comes out.

In this case, the Sam and Max iPad version is definitely a build of the game. But it would also be a port, since it wasn't originally made for the iPad, rather transferred to that system after the initial release.

It was released on iPad first.:p
  • edited June 2010
    jaden551 wrote: »
    It was released on iPad first.:p
    Haha, very true in the case of 301. IIRC the iPad version was a late addition to the platform lineup, though, even then. (I recall reading as such but can't for the life of me remember the source.) And there's been no early release of 302 or 303...
  • edited June 2010

This makes sense. I keep forgetting the importance of the software development kit in the "development" process. What do they call it? The Telltale Tool?
  • edited June 2010
    It is actually rather disappointing to play the first episode of Sam and Max in April, and then have to wait who knows how long (at least three months, it seems) for the second "monthly" installment.

Playing on the iPad is a very different experience. Have half an hour to fill in on a train or bus or dentist waiting room or whatever? Play some Sam and Max! It really does lend itself to the episodic nature of Telltale's games.

The convenience factor more than made up for any minor bugs in the iPad version of the game.
  • edited June 2010
    MediaXYZ wrote: »
    It is actually rather disappointing to play the first episode of Sam and Max in April, and then have to wait who knows how long (at least three months, it seems) for the second "monthly" installment.

Playing on the iPad is a very different experience. Have half an hour to fill in on a train or bus or dentist waiting room or whatever? Play some Sam and Max! It really does lend itself to the episodic nature of Telltale's games.

The convenience factor more than made up for any minor bugs in the iPad version of the game.

That's exactly what I was thinking... I was playing it on a flight a few weeks back.
  • edited June 2010
    After the iPad was announced, I thought it was the perfect platform for point-and-click adventure games, and secretly wished Sam & Max would make its way there.

I was pleasantly horrified/shocked to find that Season 3 (Episode 1) was announced for iPad, and I rushed through the last couple Season 2 episodes I never got around to, excited that future editions would be on iPad, and much more comfortable/leisurely to play (as adventure games should be).

I'd love an explanation why iPad editions seem to have stopped, other than "different release cycle", which seems to have been the only semi-official comment I've heard.
    The interpreter ban in early April's iOS SDK update is no longer a concern, since Lua interpreters and their ilk are now allowed.

Even with lower quality/framerate levels than the desktop, it's still lightyears away one of the best experiences on iPad.

As it is, I can't give Telltale any more of my money without direction.
  • edited June 2010
    The only reason they would be putting it off is that they either don't have the resources necessary to finish the iPad ports right now, or (more likely) they're trying to make it run more smoothly on iPad. They haven't abandoned it, and the rest of the season WILL come out on iPad, I would guess by the end of the year, but it's hard to say when exactly that will be.
    Wallace and Gromit will be coming to iPad shortly as well. :)
  • edited June 2010
    I too was pleasantly surprised to hear it was coming out on the iPad.

I just find it strange, and annoying, that they haven't made any official comment and continue to leave the "out-of-date" release dates on the iPad Sam & Max site.

An official comment would be appreciated. Even if it's a "it's done when it's done". (regardless of how much I hate that comment, lol, /beginrant John Carmack and Cliffy B can get away with that line because they always follow through, but developers such as the guys behind Duke Forever use it as an excuse to keep something in development hell. /endrant)
  • edited June 2010
    Well, here's hoping they near the final of their Telltale engine. As what some said earlier, it's a fantastic experience playing adventure games like Sam and Max on the iPad. For the time being, though. I do play the series on computer (awaiting the iPad versions) and my current iPad adventure game is Broken Sword. Also, take note, for iPad owners interested in graphic Adventures, that a slew of Scumm-engine graphic adventure ports landed on the system. Just do a search on adventure, in iTunes, and a lot of the early 90s era games got ported. Simon the Sorcerer 1&2, and a few others. Just to let you know, there are things available for one's graphic adventure fix while they wait.

Sam and Max was first, but they also showed that the tablet is a perfect platform for graphic adventures. They really got things started, so I'm glad the system has like 5 of them within the first 2 1/2 months. Thanks Telltale for planting the seed.
  • edited June 2010
    Broken Sword and Simon 1+2 have been out on iPod Touch/iPhone for a while now, they just made enhanced versions of those ports for iPad basically.

(Also, none of those games use SCUMM)
  • edited June 2010
    Broken Sword and Simon 1+2 have been out on iPod Touch/iPhone for a while now, they just made enhanced versions of those ports for iPad basically.

(Also, none of those games use SCUMM)

You mean the iPhone versions aren't SCUMM? Because Broken Sword 1 and 2 were both originally SCUMM. I played the PlayStation versions of them on my Mac using scummVM.
  • edited June 2010
    thom-22 wrote: »
    You mean the iPhone versions aren't SCUMM? Because Broken Sword 1 and 2 were both originally SCUMM. I played the PlayStation versions of them on my Mac using scummVM.

They weren't made with SCUMM, that was an internal LucasArts tool for creating adventure games. ScummVM is a third party application used for playing various SCUMM and non-SCUMM games.
  • edited June 2010
    thom-22 wrote: »

SCUMM = is the "engine" for the old Lucas Arts games. Broken SWord was not by Lucas Arts and does not use SCUMM. It can be played with scummVM though and is one of the many non-SCUMM games that work with this "emulator".
  • edited June 2010
    I see. I know what SCUMM is, but I thought it had been occasionally licensed to third parties. I didn't know that scummVM worked with non-SCUMM games.
  • edited June 2010
    ScummVM and DosBox (and by extension, the front-end loader for Mac, Boxer) are the greatest software developments of this generation.

Well, probably not, but it sure feels like it at times.
  • edited June 2010
    G.byrne wrote: »
    ScummVM and DosBox (and by extension, the front-end loader for Mac, Boxer) are the greatest software developments of this generation.

Well, probably not, but it sure feels like it at times.

ScummVM is most definately the best piece of software that was ever released.
  • edited June 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    ScummVM is most definately the best piece of software that was ever released.

I always knew it was an amazing piece of software, but the day I managed to get the 7th Guest to work using it, was the day I knew it really was a masterpiece.
  • edited June 2010
    For me it was the day I finally got "Floyd" running ("The Feeble files" in englisch)
  • PsyPsy
    edited June 2010
    The second episode of The Devil's Playhouse was significantly larger than originally intended, both in terms of graphics complexity and sheer data size. Dealing with both of those on the iPad, a platform that we're already pushing to the limit, has made releasing the rest of season 3 incredibly problematic. I won't say that it's not coming out on the iPad since we're still considering it, but we don't have a set date.

Trust me, we've taken steps to ensure that future games can be ported to the iPad without these problems and we've already demonstrated Puzzle Agent on the iPad... we're not cutting out the platform or anything!
  • edited June 2010
    Psy wrote: »
    The second episode of The Devil's Playhouse was significantly larger than originally intended, both in terms of graphics complexity and sheer data size. Dealing with both of those on the iPad, a platform that we're already pushing to the limit, has made releasing the rest of season 3 incredibly problematic. I won't say that it's not coming out on the iPad since we're still considering it, but we don't have a set date.

Trust me, we've taken steps to ensure that future games can be ported to the iPad without these problems and we've already demonstrated Puzzle Agent on the iPad... we're not cutting out the platform or anything!

Depressing... But I did want an answer.
  • edited June 2010

*sigh* I was afraid this was the case. Damn...I loved the first ep on my iPad. Thought it was perfect for adventure gaming. Too bad that it got too complex for the 'pad. I need my fix while flying.

Perhaps Monkey Island?? Or an older season of S&M?
  • edited June 2010
    wildcardd wrote: »
    *sigh* I was afraid this was the case. Damn...I loved the first ep on my iPad. Thought it was perfect for adventure gaming. Too bad that it got too complex for the 'pad. I need my fix while flying.

Perhaps Monkey Island?? Or an older season of S&M?

Tales of Monkey Island... Or Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People... I love that game title, somebody needs an award for coming up with that name.

I sure hope they don't give up on at least trying to make Sam & Max season 3 work.
  • edited June 2010
    That is saddening. If the other Sam and Max episodes were available on iPad, I would buy them in an instant. In fact, I would probably be happy to pay a premium for the privillage. As it is, I won't be buying them for PC/Mac because I know I just won't have enough available time in front of my computer at home to really enjoy the game.

I guess I'll just have to just wait to see what else Telltale comes up with for the platform. Wallace and Gromit would be great, assuming we get more than just 20% of the game... :-P
  • edited June 2010

What sort of steps? Tomb of Sammun-Mak was one of my favorite episodes so far partly because of its size and complexity. I'd hate to see you hold yourselves back and deliberately create smaller and less graphically complex games purely for the sake of iPad ports. I can't help but think Tales of Monkey Island may have suffered a little bit because you had to make sure the games could be compressed to fit WiiWare's absurdly small download size limit.
  • edited June 2010
    What sort of steps? Tomb of Sammun-Mak was one of my favorite episodes so far partly because of its size and complexity. I'd hate to see you hold yourselves back and deliberately create smaller and less graphically complex games purely for the sake of iPad ports. I can't help but think Tales of Monkey Island may have suffered a little bit because you had to make sure the games could be compressed to fit WiiWare's absurdly small download size limit.

Nobody wants them to sacrifice quality for the ipad... I would rather not have the game on this console than see that happen. (Speaking for myself)
    MediaXYZ wrote: »
    That is saddening. If the other Sam and Max episodes were available on iPad, I would buy them in an instant. In fact, I would probably be happy to pay a premium for the privillage. As it is, I won't be buying them for PC/Mac because I know I just won't have enough available time in front of my computer at home to really enjoy the game.

I guess I'll just have to just wait to see what else Telltale comes up with for the platform. Wallace and Gromit would be great, assuming we get more than just 20% of the game... :-P

Considering what you just said, I would be skeptical about buying anymore episodic games on the iPad for the exact reason that they may be abandoned. Not saying it has been abandoned, I don't want to come across sounding apocalyptic here.

Puzzle Agent is different. The graphics lend well to the iPad and it isn't episodic.
  • BenBen Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2010
    Sam and Max 3 was built for the PC, Mac, and PS3. When the iPad came along we decided we wanted in, so we evaluated several options for a launch release. Sam and Max 3 wasn't the only thing considered, but we really wanted to push the platform and release something new and impressive. After many late nights and lots of ARM assembly, we had it running, so we decided to go with it.

Unfortunately, as Psy said, episode 2 is even shinier than episode 1 and will require even more engineering time to get running on the iPad. I'd love to work on this, but at the moment we have kind of a lot going on. I REALLY want to get it out eventually though.

When we say future games will be ported to the iPad with no problem, we don't mean every game we make from now on will be built for the iPad. Puzzle Agent was built from the ground with the iPad/iPhone in mind and it runs great. Wallace and Gromit is running much better than Sam and Max on the iPad, so we're certainly not limited to mostly 2D sprite animations. But we will continue to target the more powerful platforms as well.
  • edited June 2010
    Ben wrote: »
    Sam and Max 3 was built for the PC, Mac, and PS3. When the iPad came along we decided we wanted in, so we evaluated several options for a launch release. Sam and Max 3 wasn't the only thing considered, but we really wanted to push the platform and release something new and impressive. After many late nights and lots of ARM assembly, we had it running, so we decided to go with it.

Unfortunately, as Psy said, episode 2 is even shinier than episode 1 and will require even more engineering time to get running on the iPad. I'd love to work on this, but at the moment we have kind of a lot going on. I REALLY want to get it out eventually though.

When we say future games will be ported to the iPad with no problem, we don't mean every game we make from now on will be built for the iPad. Puzzle Agent was built from the ground with the iPad/iPhone in mind and it runs great. Wallace and Gromit is running much better than Sam and Max on the iPad, so we're certainly not limited to mostly 2D sprite animations. But we will continue to target the more powerful platforms as well.

Thanks for the reply! The information is appreciated.
  • edited June 2010
    Makes sense, even though I was rather impressed with the performance of Sam and Max 301 on the iPad, especially with your short development time. You defintely showed the potential for folks to do even more impressive works and faster speeds given a longer development schedule. iOS4 should improve that further as I've already watched some of the developer's seminars which talked about some new speedy rendering options built into the APIs.

Still, to play Sam and Max on the iPad, and outside little bugs here and there, a solid performer all while the iPad remained cool to the touch, during the entire duration. My first hand-held device, I've ever had, where the device remained cool to the touch while really pushing it's graphics.

I look forward to Puzzle Agent. I'm also a big Prof. Layton fan, so this different take on it should be something quite entertaining and yet give Prof. Layton fans more of what they enjoy. Story-based Adventurous Puzzle Collections could become a sub-genre.
  • edited June 2010
    I guess it is all about priorities. I have no idea how many copies of The Penal Zone have been sold for iPad, but being a very new platform, I would imagine that it would only be a fraction, compared to PC sales (for example). As a business, Telltale would presumably need to focus on areas that make the most money. Hopefully one day I might actually find out what happens in Sam and Max season 3, without just reading the walkthroughs. :-)

That said, Telltale really did set the bar high with the first iPad adventure game. It will be tough for other companies to better.
  • edited June 2010
    I wouldn't say that. Remember, the game was released with a very short turnaround and a tight schedule. And on a completely new platform for them. Unless i'm mistaken, I haven't seen them make any game for the iOS(iPhone OS) before this game. Imagine the quality that could be produced with more time to develop. There is a good amount of talent, for devs on that system. Stuff like Real Racing is still a graphical tour de force for it. Just that you see something like episode 301 in such a short time to code. It says a lot for what people will eventually do with the unit. Especially once iOS4 comes out for it.
  • edited June 2010
    akaimizu wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that. Remember, the game was released with a very short turnaround and a tight schedule. And on a completely new platform for them. Unless i'm mistaken, I haven't seen them make any game for the iOS(iPhone OS) before this game. Imagine the quality that could be produced with more time to develop. There is a good amount of talent, for devs on that system. Stuff like Real Racing is still a graphical tour de force for it. Just that you see something like episode 301 in such a short time to code. It says a lot for what people will eventually do with the unit. Especially once iOS4 comes out for it.

It was also a launch title... It came out before the iPad was even available for widespread purchase.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.