Bugs in boxes ad infinitum!

After finishing Puzzle Agent yesterday, I had a hankering for more puzzles, so I hacked together an on-line version of Bugs in Boxes with an infinite puzzle supply: click to play! (Excuse my crude programmer art; it was done in KolourPaint.)

Besides playing, you can edit your own puzzles, or have them generated randomly. Puzzle codes can be used to recreate particular puzzles. For example, these correspond with the three original puzzles from the game: And these are nice ones too:
  1. ulbaac0x
  2. lj0fllbc
  3. darcrtac
  4. t0crcdlr
  5. facyr0da
Find any other good ones? Post the puzzle codes here!

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Brilliant! I love it! Great job! :D
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    6. #cfajk0cm

(This one has two solutions, but one uses fewer fence pieces.)
  • edited July 2010
    Capital idea! I like di0urhd0.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    Neat.
  • edited July 2010
    I hereby award you one internet.
  • edited July 2010
  • edited July 2010
    How many... How many... How many bugs in a box?

(If anyone can find me the actual song, they win.)
  • edited July 2010
    It doesn't work for me :(
  • edited July 2010
    Heh, love it!
  • edited July 2010
  • edited July 2010
    FWIW, I've been playing the Windows & Palm/Android versions of Galaxies for ages - it's similar to "Bugs in Boxes", but instead of boxes of a given size you need to fill the whole playfield with symmetric shapes around the marked center points. Highly addictive... :D

np: Autechre - no border (Move Of Ten)
  • edited July 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    Nice tricky ones. :)
    It doesn't work for me :(
    Try a different browser. It may well be broken on Internet Explorer, which I can't test with, but it works for me on Firefox, Opera, Chrome and Konqueror.
    edit: and Safari apparently. ;)
    edit 2: and Internet Explorer 8 now too.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Works for me on Safari and I love it!
    More, please!
  • edited July 2010
    My own attempt. Pretty easy but I quite liked it.
    bccskccr
    And one that I think is tougher.
    cbkclrfa
  • edited July 2010
    My own attempt. Pretty easy but I quite liked it.
    bccskccr
    And one that I think is tougher.
    cbkclrfa
    Nice ones! I actually thought the first one was pretty tricky...

Some nice other ones:
    • fbalfbji (this one can be really easy if you see it immediately, but it took me a while!)
    • cal0xw0c

By the way, I managed to get it to work in Internet Explorer 8. If you're still using an older version, it really is time to upgrade. ;)
  • edited July 2010
    Soultaker wrote: »
    fbalfbji (this one can be really easy if you see it immediately, but it took me a while!)

That's a neat one.
  • edited July 2010
    Nice! I especially like levelcodes, why do you need a number *thinking* ah okay this way, a position encodes three fields with three states and so you need 27 varitions... :O)
  • edited July 2010
    difficulty:
    jbbcfiis
    slightly easier:
    b0vbclba
    ijcobarr
    :)
  • edited July 2010
    One nice thing about you all posting these . . . I'm getting pretty good at strategizing them instead of just blind guessing! So if there's another Puzzle Agent episode, and there are more bug puzzles, I'll be all ready!

(I know, in reality, they'll change the rules!)
  • edited July 2010
    Nice! Cool idea, I like it :D
  • edited July 2010
    Excellent job, Soultaker! This is a great idea and really well done.

jccjjccj

:)

I found jl0bfcsf a little harder, though.
  • edited July 2010
    Klatuu wrote: »
    Excellent job, Soultaker! This is a great idea and really well done.
    jccjjccj
    Thanks! If you like jccjjcjj, I expect you'll like bffrbffr too. :P
    I found jl0bfcsf a little harder, though.
    That's a nice one! I got tricked into submitting a suboptimal solution...
  • edited July 2010
    This is pretty fun.
    In a reflex, I started dragging instead of clicking to make lines appear. :P

Some suggestions if you're still going to work on it:
    - Higher res version? This looks small even on my lappy's rather modest 1366x768 resolution.
    - There should be a big "submit answer" button which automatically generates a new level for you if it's correct.
    - A high score to proudly post here? Like +10 points for every puzzle solved, -5 for every wrong answer.
    - The randomizer doesn't get rid of your inputted lines.
    - Being able to set a grid size for a bigger challenge? If you're going to have a scoreboard, the score could be relative to the grid size.
    - Maybe some sound effects! The <audio> tag is perfect for this.
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions, DaVince! Although I don't think I'll follow most of them...
    - Higher res version? This looks small even on my lappy's rather modest 1366x768 resolution.
    - Maybe some sound effects! The <audio> tag is perfect for this.
    Although I'm sure the game could be bigger and better, I'm not really an artist, so I'd rather not try to create high resolution graphics and fancy sound effects... the end result would probably disappoint you anyway. If you feel the game is too small to play, you can use your browser's zoom function (Ctrl-+ usually) to make it bigger, but it'll be just as ugly. :)
    - There should be a big "submit answer" button which automatically generates a new level for you if it's correct.
    That's what the Verify Solution button is for, although I guess it could be a bit more dramatic. The reason it doesn't auto-generate a new puzzle, is to give the player an opportunity to edit the puzzle or save the puzzle code.
    - A high score to proudly post here? Like +10 points for every puzzle solved, -5 for every wrong answer.
    - Being able to set a grid size for a bigger challenge? If you're going to have a scoreboard, the score could be relative to the grid size.
    I'm not sure this type of puzzle works well in a competitive setting. I think you'd have to take timing into account, in the very least. Implementing a scoreboard sounds like a lot of work. I'll give it some thought, but I'm not promising anything. :)
    - The randomizer doesn't get rid of your inputted lines.
    Good catch! I've fixed this.
  • edited September 2010
    could this thread be stickied? I dunno about other people but it's pretty much the only thread I come back to this board for.
  • olzolz
    edited November 2010
    is that's for how many bugs in puzle agent? ;)
  • edited December 2010
    Oooh this is awesome, thank you :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.