What is "The Inventory"?

Post your speculation here.

My best guess is that it is the hammerspace where inventory items, etc. are stored, and that it is described in this game as being like a universal warehouse for all games, and the characters just climb in to chillax over a game of poker.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    This game might have more rules than typical poker game. Meaning characters might actually have inventory where they can pull items etc to affect gameplay.
  • edited September 2010
    http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65426

There's a quote in there that states this is what they imagine video game characters do when they are off duty, this is how they will act, so this is going to be freaking funny!
  • edited September 2010
    Hopefully, a place Telltale will visit more in the future.

Y'know, between series. Like maybe, the month between the end of Back To The Future and Jurassic Park and the beginning of Sam and Max s4 or TOMI s2.
  • edited September 2010
    A little part of me hopes the characters are hanging out in Max's inventory from Devil's Playhouse.
  • edited September 2010
    doggans wrote: »
    A little part of me hopes the characters are hanging out in Max's inventory from Devil's Playhouse.

they aren't. look at the stills. it looks like a fancy parlor
  • edited September 2010
    Well, clearly, Max stole a parlor at some point. :P

(I didn't see the stills until about five minutes ago, but a guy can still dream.)
  • edited September 2010
    doggans wrote: »
    Well, clearly, Max stole a parlor at some point. :P

(I didn't see the stills until about five minutes ago, but a guy can still dream.)

Guybrush: They're having a poker party... in my pants.
  • edited September 2010
    tredlow wrote: »
    Guybrush: They're having a poker party... in my pants.

No no god no.
  • edited September 2010
    It's just a video game-y poker parlor/game room.
  • edited September 2010
    It's just a video game-y poker parlor/game room.

Have you seen the inside of Guybrush's pants? It's practically a TARDIS. It's got a garage, a ballroom, and a jacuzzi.

However, Guybrush doesn't really need that much space in his pants.

wooj.png
  • edited September 2010
    Have you seen the inside of Guybrush's pants? It's practically a TARDIS. It's got a garage, a ballroom, and a jacuzzi.

However, Guybrush doesn't really need that much space in his pants.

wooj.png

Bwahaha!
    The image of Bender turned that from a 14 year old joke into a classic
  • edited September 2010
    Thats a pretty good theory Mr. Highway.
  • edited September 2010
    It'd actually be cool to have The Inventory as an series that comes out occasionally, between series, not monthly. Of course, since it takes place when the characters aren't 'gaming', it's probably not canon either, so it wouldn't matter much, right?

Max: I can't shoot it, Sam, I lost my gun to Tycho during poker ni-
    Sam: Sshh! Rule number one: You don't talk about The Inventory.
  • edited September 2010
    I honestly hadn't thought about the prospect that they might be considered as actual video game characters within the game (i.e., that there's no real fourth wall). Now I'm kind of excited for this...
  • edited September 2010

however, guybrush doesn't really need that much space in his pants.

wooj.png

*blam*
  • edited September 2010
    Fealiks wrote: »
    I honestly hadn't thought about the prospect that they might be considered as actual video game characters within the game (i.e., that there's no real fourth wall). Now I'm kind of excited for this...

Well although it's not the Heavy, the Scout from TF2 might have slight knowledge on being in a video game, taunting enemies by saying things like "Yeah rage-quit, I dare you!" and "This map ain't big enough for the two of us."

If they all knew though that would be both weird and cool.
  • edited September 2010
    My Theory is that the Inventory is sort of like an inter-dimensional Video game character's bar, where they go to have a break between games, or spend their nights drowning their sorrows in beer when they no longer receive work.
  • edited September 2010
    I imagine it kinda like Roger Rabbit. Starring in videogames (or webcomics or cartoons) is what these characters do for a job. This is what they do when they're not working.
  • edited September 2010
    I think it's a Toy Story-like thing.

Basically, this is what Tycho does when you're not reading his comics, what the Heavy does when you're not playing as him in TF2, what Strong Bad does when you're not playing SBCG4AP or watching his sbemails, and what Max does when you're not playing Sam and Max.
  • edited September 2010
    It seems that at least three of us have come to an agreement.
  • edited September 2010
    its either a hang out place for the characters when on brake or some forum of "limbo" for characters who have uncertain "career" fates. although i'll side with the former.
  • edited September 2010
    Any connection with the online magazine "The Inventory"?
    000btp.jpg
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2010
    Absolutely no connection with the ezine.

We talked about the Inventory and how the characters see it a little during interviews at PAX and you guys are pretty on target with it.

As for the characters and how they perceive the place, we wanted to mix it up a little based on their personalities. Tycho for instance knows that the other three guys are game characters and talks to them about it. The Heavy on the other hand, mostly thinks that his life is murdering people in Gravelpit and then going to sleep in the barracks. Sometimes he dreams that he dies over and over but knows thats impossible, as no one can kill Heavy Weapons Guy. Strong Bad knows that he was in a game, as a licensed character who was exploited by Telltale (see Behind The Bad), while with Max you can never tell if he knows what's going on or not since he likes having no short term memory to speak of.
  • edited September 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    As for the characters and how they perceive the place, we wanted to mix it up a little based on their personalities. Tycho for instance knows that the other three guys are game characters and talks to them about it. The Heavy on the other hand, mostly thinks that his life is murdering people in Gravelpit and then going to sleep in the barracks. Sometimes he dreams that he dies over and over but knows thats impossible, as no one can kill Heavy Weapons Guy. Strong Bad knows that he was in a game, as a licensed character who was exploited by Telltale (see Behind The Bad), while with Max you can never tell if he knows what's going on or not since he likes having no short term memory to speak of.

THIS will be awesome!!! :D
    Can't wait for it!!!!!!:)
  • edited September 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Tycho for instance knows that the other three guys are game characters and talks to them about it.
    So does he realize yet that that means he must be in a game himself? Seeing him deny that should be interesting. :)
  • edited September 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    So does he realize yet that that means he must be in a game himself? Seeing him deny that should be interesting. :)

Not to mention his role in Penny Arcade Adventures :rolleyes:
  • edited September 2010
    No no god no.

Hey - It could be worse...

Could be Larry Laffer's pants. :D
  • edited September 2010
    It'd actually be cool to have The Inventory as an series that comes out occasionally, between series, not monthly. Of course, since it takes place when the characters aren't 'gaming', it's probably not canon either, so it wouldn't matter much, right?
    That would make sense.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.