So... When will we know? (Season)

We all know that, as part of Telltale's "Pilot Program," Puzzle Agent needs to sell enough copies to justify turning it into a full season, yada yada.

Maybe I'm impatient, but I had kind of hoped to know by now. I had hoped that come August or so, Telltale would say, "Guess what? Puzzle Agent did great, so Episode 2 is coming in December!" or something along those lines. Heck, hearing anything would be nice.

I know we've probably just been spoiled by monthly episodes of other Telltale properties, and Puzzle Agent is different... I also know that Telltale has their hands full with Poker Night, Back to the Future and Jurassic Park... I just wish I knew the fate of this really awesome puzzle experience.

I'd also like more Monkey Island, but first things first, here...

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I'd have thought they'd try 5 or 6 pilots before deciding if any of them are worth a series. It could be a couple of years.
  • edited September 2010
    i'd give it a year. they just need to make better puzzles then "connect paper together".
  • edited September 2010
    Poker Night was reported to need to sell 100,000 to 200,000 to become a full season, and I doubt Puzzle Agent even came close to similar numbers.
  • edited September 2010
    Poker Night was reported to need to sell 100,000 to 200,000 to become a full season, and I doubt Puzzle Agent even came close to similar numbers.

It could happen once they get the WiiWare release out though. There aren't many interesting puzzle titles there as it is, so they won't have much to compete against.
  • edited September 2010
    Poker Night is something of a special case though, isn't it? You know, with multiple license holders needing to be happy with it.
  • edited September 2010
    Is Poker Night a pilot? It's supposed to be episodic? (I confess I haven't paid much attention to it.)

Two things to keep in mind while wondering about future Puzzle Agent episodes:

When companies have capital to spend on new product development, they go with whatever has the most potential for profit. So when Telltale has an opening in its development schedule, they'll look at their options and apply that criterion -- it's hard to say whether another Puzzle Agent episode will ever make the cut without knowing how well it did and, just as importantly, what their other opportunities are. If PA had been a runaway smash hit, they probably would have put the full series into development as quickly as possible, maybe even forgoing development of Poker Night. On the other hand if JP and BTTF are wildly successful, and other movie studios come calling with bucketfuls of cash, we might not ever see another episode of PA.

Secondly, presumably Telltale's rights to the Grickle property are limited to some defined time period -- I doubt the owner signed them away indefinitely, he would want to be able to look for other opportunities if Telltale hasn't made the series in a reasonable amount of time.

So, who knows whether it will ever make financial sense for Telltale to produce a full Puzzle Agent series before their rights expire. Maybe it'll be up next after JP and BTTF, maybe not.
  • edited September 2010
    thom-22 wrote: »
    Is Poker Night a pilot? It's supposed to be episodic? (I confess I haven't paid much attention to it.)

It's the '... at the Inventory' that's allegedly episodic. one episode is poker, the next zombie invasion.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.