If you had to pick one past character to return, who would it be?

edited September 2011 in Tales of Monkey Island
It was great having Guybrush, LeChuck, Elaine, the Voodoo Lady, Stan and even Murray back for Tales. But in the hypothetical Tales 2, if one extra character from Secret, Revenge, Curse or Escape could return, whom would you choose?

I chose Herman Toothrot, because he appeared in some way in all four original games, and he always makes me laugh. Getting Wally Wingert to do the voice would be important, he's made the role his own now as far as I'm concerned. ;)

As for Escape's ending and the revelations about his past, Telltale could always just gloss over it with a couple of lines like "How's being Governor of Melee Island?" "Oh, I quit. It was boring, so I let Timmy take over"

In the poll I've included every character who either appeared in more than one game, or had a major role in the game they were featured in.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Personally I'd like to see two characters come back, Carla and Otis. I enjoyed them in SoMI and absolutely loved the fact that they came back for EfMI. Honestly, some of my favorite bits that game was your crew for the Dainty Lady. Recruiting them and everything was just really entertaining.
  • edited October 2010
    Majority of Curse characters - Slappy Cromwell, Mr. Fossey and LeChimp, pirate barbers...

Characters with plenty of recurring potential could be - The Lost Welshman, Bridge Troll, Admiral Ricardo Casaba...
  • edited October 2010
    Hmm. Part of me would really like Herman Toothrot to come back, since I loved him in SMI and Revenge, and part of me... doesn't. There's such a big continuity snarl surrounding him ever since Escape, and I don't know how Telltale would deal with that. On the other hand, they could work something out and it could be really awesome. Who knows?

Other than that... you know what? The cannibals. Even if it's just a cameo. I'd like to see what deity they've moved on to worshiping now.
  • edited October 2010
    Well, I'm afraid that I wouldn't choose any of these characters, because the two people that I want to return the most are Winslow and Morgan.
  • edited October 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Well, I'm afraid that I wouldn't choose any of these characters, because the two people that I want to return the most are Winslow and Morgan.

I suspect that this topic was created with the thought process that their return was a given. I mean, Winslow hasn't mutinied or anything, like Guybrush's previous crews, so he'd most likely be there come season two. Morgan....well, after that sequel hook, how could she not be there?
  • edited October 2010
    mgrant wrote: »
    I suspect that this topic was created with the thought process that their return was a given. I mean, Winslow hasn't mutinied or anything, like Guybrush's previous crews, so he'd most likely be there come season two. Morgan....well, after that sequel hook, how could she not be there?

Haha, good point. I didn't think of this.

Okay, I shall re-cast my vote. I think I'll vote for Edward Van Helgen. He was a cool character, and I'd actually like to see him in action. Also, it'd be cool to see him in 3D, and he'd work perfectly with one of ToMI's character models (the one used for Guybrush, de Cava, Moose, De Singe, Crimpdigit etc.).
  • edited October 2010
    I'd also have voted for Morgan or Winslow, but since they aren't there I voted for Carla. Until Tales she was my favourite secondary character, I've always liked the way she interacts with Guybrush, it's one of Escape's saving graces for me. And I'd love to see her duel with Morgan.
  • edited October 2010
    No one's voted for the Men of Low Moral Fiber? Shame on you all! They're a class act! And I want to know where the heck they've been all these years! (I hope they're not still stuck on that ledge back in Woodtick!)

Largo would be pretty cool to see again, too. He's my favourite villain. Although I think he'd be more suitable with a Popeye-ish voice to be honest.

I'd also like to see Governor Phatt again. Either I'd like to see that he's dead, or that he had an epiphany and is now thin (and either way, that Phatt Island is now liberated from his oppressive reign).
  • edited October 2010
    I voted for Captain Smirk. Since, he was a play on Arnie, I'm sure he's a governor by now.
    I wouldn't mind seeing the Cannibals, Wally, Herman, Rasputin or the Lawyers back. Plus anyone who's ever been on Guybrish's crew.
  • edited October 2010
    Spadge wrote: »
    I voted for Captain Smirk.

Yes, I'd like to see him make a return as well. That guy's cool. It'd be great to see him expanded and given a bit more of a back-story.
    Spadge wrote: »
    Since, he was a play on Arnie, I'm sure he's a governor by now.

Haha, nice!
  • edited October 2010
    Wally!!
    Although, I'd also like to see Timmy back to hear what his intentions were when he threw Guybrush off that cliff at the end of EMI.
  • edited October 2010
    Mermaid wrote: »
    [...]I'd also like to see Timmy back to hear what his intentions were when he threw Guybrush off that cliff at the end of EMI.

Yeah, Morgan can be the translator!

(as she mentioned in 'Lair of the Leviathan' that she speak a little monkey.)

This would actually be a cool thing to expand upon in any future Monkey Island games, Morgan's ability to speak Monkey. She could interpret what the monkeys say! And perhaps it could even be turned into an in-game puzzle of some kind. Also, she could reveal to us what the Monkey Kombat insults actually translate to.

Dunno, just a thought :).
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    If the "Tales" were to continue, existing story arcs would have to be picked up, so Morgan and Winslow would have to return. Apart from that, I'd really like TTG to be as careful with such cameos as they were in the "Tales". I don't want this to ever be a parade of previously known characters stuffed in for no good reason at all.

Maybe Tales 2 could even be a Monkey Island without Stan - or LeChuck? I think it's well possible!
  • edited October 2010
    I agree, and in fact, I'd like to see LeChuck sit the next game out. I think bringing him back immediately would weaken the absolute menace he presented in the finale of RoTPG. Just my opinion though.
  • edited October 2010
    I also agree that LeChuck should be sidelined for the next Monkey Island game. I have voiced my reasons as to why about five or six times over in separate threads, so I won't do so again here. But the main reason is just so that the story doesn't become too repetitive in every game. And also, it would be nice to see a different main villain for a change.
  • edited October 2010
    hmmmmm, I think the characters carla and otis. hehe. I love having them back.
  • edited October 2010
    I'd personally go for the Barbary Trio. I think it would be cool if they joined Guybrush's crew. Granted, they did mutinied on Guybrush, but it wasn't because they didn't like him, but because they realized they wanted to be barbers more so then being pirates (at least that's how my train of thought works).

And I agree with LeChuck sitting out on the next game. He's a great villain, but it would be a fresh breath of air to see another menace for Guybrush to deal with.
  • edited October 2010
    I also think that it would be nice to see LeChuck out of the spotlight in the next game. He's fantastic, but he's a little... er, incapacitated right now. While I have no doubt he's going to come back (like the Joker, I don't think Lechuck will ever die permanently), I think a new villain would be an interesting change. And we know Telltale can write good villains. Surely LeChuck isn't the only pirate menace running around...

Here's a thought: it's not a character, exactly, but how about returning to Monkey Island itself? I would be all for that (especially if we get to see an abandoned, run-down Carnival of the Damned). It'd be interesting to see what happened to the Island in between Escape and Tales.
  • edited October 2010
    With a series of puzzles inside the derelict Carnival of The Damned perhaps? I would love that.
  • edited October 2010
    One of my favourite characters is Lemonhead. To see him in Monkey Island again would be fantastic! So, if you didn't just guess, I voted the Cannibals.
  • edited October 2010
    I'd say Otis and Wally would be my top picks, but I'll go ahead and vote for Otis. I think he just has great potential for Tales 2.

Also, regarding the whole reappearance of LeChuck thing that was being discussed last page, I think it'd be great if the secondary villain in the next season was a follower of LeChuck trying to summon him back into the world through some complicated, ceremonial ritual. Perhaps LeChuck could possess the guy for Guybrush's battle with him. Y'know, so LeChuck can have an appearance without having too much of an appearance.
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah, I didn't include Morgan and Winslow because this is PAST characters. ;) Seeing as Tales' ending seems to be setting up a direct sequel, chances are they'll most likely return anyway.

I'd quite like to sacrifice LeChuck and either Stan or Murray for, say, Governor Phatt and Herman. :D
  • edited October 2010
    The Men of ************* ******* Low Moral Fiber.
  • edited October 2010
    come on ozzie!
  • edited October 2010
    Dinghy Dog! :D
  • edited October 2010
    mgrant wrote: »
    With a series of puzzles inside the derelict Carnival of The Damned perhaps? I would love that.

The carnival of the damned melted into beautiful ice-caverns... plenty of frozen orange with greens, purples etc. for the voodoo carnival and blue/white for the ice. I think there's a picture in that!

In terms of my vote, i'd have to go with Largo LaGrande because I think he'd fit in well into the TTg style and would have something to offer a new series.

I'd also like to see the Pirates of Low moral fibre and Wally though they wouldn't have much to offer the game.
  • edited October 2010
    I voted for Haggis McMutton, but I would also love to see Edward.
    However, an element which should come back in my opinion is 'Pappapisshu'. (Yes, this is how it is written.) This made me laugh every time in CoMI, as it was not used too often, but was still used enough times. (It would have been good, though, if
    at the end, when Lechuck hits Guybrush time after time,
    he wouldn't only say 'youch'.)
    I was really happy to see it again in the Rise of the Pirate God, but I would have liked to see it some more times.
  • edited October 2010
    puuuh... largo lagrande or wally :confused:
    wally or largo lagrande :o largo la... äh no, wally :cool:

(... and largo lagrande too)
  • edited November 2010
    I don't get the love for Largo ... kind of a nonentity in my opinion.

I'd kinda like to see the Fettuccine Bros. return, but my real vote is for the Lost Welshman.

Also, the rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle.

-The Gneech :cool:
  • edited November 2010
    Kate Capsize, as she has a sexy new voice from the SE, and her cluelessness when Guybrush freed her (if, you know, you were bothered) was quite sweet - despite the snarky attitude!
  • edited November 2010
    This thread suffers for the reason that it's not multiple optional.
  • edited November 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    This thread suffers for the reason that it's not multiple optional.

But this thread is called 'If you could pick one past character to return, who would it be?'.

If you could pick more than one that would defeat the point.
  • edited November 2010
    I guess I get that but I couldn't pick just one. Apparently others can.
  • edited November 2010
    lombre wrote: »
    I'd say Otis and Wally would be my top picks, but I'll go ahead and vote for Otis. I think he just has great potential for Tales 2.

Also, regarding the whole reappearance of LeChuck thing that was being discussed last page, I think it'd be great if the secondary villain in the next season was a follower of LeChuck trying to summon him back into the world through some complicated, ceremonial ritual. Perhaps LeChuck could possess the guy for Guybrush's battle with him. Y'know, so LeChuck can have an appearance without having too much of an appearance.

Cameo, hmmm...
    Lemonhead for sure.
    Now to pressing matters.
    Yes, yes, and yes to the Lombre's idea.
    I would love to see a new lead villain, like Ozzie or DeSinge.
    Telltale have already shown this so it shouldn't be too hard.
    Like the suggestion above, have a cult, or a following from the like of 'The First Church of LeChuck' attempt to summon LeChuck back to life.
    Maybe throw Largo, the mysterious Voodoo priest, and Allegro Rasputin into the mix of followers.

But definitely have another competent villain that either wants to summon LeChuck or attempts to use his essence to fuel their own crazy megalomaniac ideas.
    And if it's episode based then with LucasArts approval you could call the fifth episode: The Phantom Menace, in reference to the new Villain attempting to resurrect the no. 1 villain of all time from the shadows - not LeChimp - LeChuck!
  • edited July 2011
    Wally would be my first choice. The scene where Guybrush made him cry was hilarious. (Also i hope Murray is going to be back again in the next season whenever that is - hopefully soon)
  • edited July 2011
    Mancomb Seepgood.
  • edited July 2011
    Lemonhead is one of my favorite not-really-relevant-to-the-plot characters, so I'm gonna go with the cannibals.
  • edited July 2011
    I remember in MI2, LeChuck was almost like Sauron. The ultimate evil. The one you most definately didn't want to invite to your birthday party, because he'd almost certainly eat all the cake by himself. You know. Like really really evil.

LeChuck should've had the same status as Sauron did for LOTR. The one to avoid. Instead, he's become a common thugh you have to save the caribbean from every now and then. TOMI brought that back in the last part - too bad he looked like a rabbit with a beard, so I almost couldn't stop laughing during some of the cutscenes. :D

In short, the next Monkey Island, if they bring LeChuck back, it should be like a LOTR (a final epic journey to rid the world of LeChuck for good), but with brilliant Monkey Island humour. And just to stay on topic, Largo LaGrande should have a big part in the next game.
  • edited July 2011
    We're really big on the Necro here, huh? Can nobody come up with a good, /new/ thread?
  • edited July 2011
    Well, if LeChuck can do it...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.