Time to Fix Puzzle Agent

Dear Telltale:

It has been over five months since people purchased Puzzle Agent only to discover that it doesn't work on newer nVidia graphics cards. It is now time to release the fix for this. Even the mods in the forums have stopped responding because there is nothing else they can say to appease the poor consumers who were cheated out of a game because of this. I also see you are releasing a Wii version of Puzzle Agent. It's very impressive that you have time to port the game to another platform, but still can't find the time to fix the game you've already release to the PC. If you don't stand behind your products, why should we? As a developer myself, I understand the difficulty in fixing bugs at times, but really, over five months? Just fix it already.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Elron wrote: »
    Dear Telltale:

It has been over five months since people purchased Puzzle Agent only to discover that it doesn't work on newer nVidia graphics cards. It is now time to release the fix for this. Even the mods in the forums have stopped responding because there is nothing else they can say to appease the poor consumers who were cheated out of a game because of this. I also see you are releasing a Wii version of Puzzle Agent. It's very impressive that you have time to port the game to another platform, but still can't find the time to fix the game you've already release to the PC. If you don't stand behind your products, why should we? As a developer myself, I understand the difficulty in fixing bugs at times, but really, over five months? Just fix it already.

Although I do agree that telltale does need to fix this for the people who bought puzzle agent, they do have a lot on their plate with jurassic park, back to the future, the sam and max dvd, Poker Night, any ports, and any unannounced games as well as this. Plus to be honest, the wiiware version I think has already been submitted to nintendo, so there is nothing they can do with the port now. Yes it does seem unfair that telltale has yet to fix the bug, but maybe it is more of an issue than you think(although I have no clue in that catagory so don't quote me on that).
    The way this is is like yelling at a kid who has a crap load of homework, who gets yelled at, while working on some of the other major bits of homework in other subjects, that he screwed up in some other part, and must fix it asap.
    I still think it should be fixed soon, but please remember they do have a lot of crap going on right now.
  • edited October 2010
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Although I do agree that telltale does need to fix this for the people who bought puzzle agent, they do have a lot on their plate with jurassic park, back to the future, the sam and max dvd, Poker Night, any ports, and any unannounced games as well as this. Plus to be honest, the wiiware version I think has already been submitted to nintendo, so there is nothing they can do with the port now. Yes it does seem unfair that telltale has yet to fix the bug, but maybe it is more of an issue than you think(although I have no clue in that catagory so don't quote me on that).
    The way this is is like yelling at a kid who has a crap load of homework, who gets yelled at, while working on some of the other major bits of homework in other subjects, that he screwed up in some other part, and must fix it asap.
    I still think it should be fixed soon, but please remember they do have a lot of crap going on right now.

No, this is like yelling at a merchant who has sold you a product in good faith and failed to deliver the working product. No amount of workload (which is part of their normal business) makes this acceptable.
  • edited October 2010
    joehonkie wrote: »
    No, this is like yelling at a merchant who has sold you a product in good faith and failed to deliver the working product. No amount of workload (which is part of their normal business) makes this acceptable.

And I'm not saying it is a good excuse, Im just saying its there(like saying a dog ate your homework, when you where the one who left it their in the first place, the excuse is there, but it is your fault)

I honestly would have more to say, but this is the first I have heard of this problem.
  • edited October 2010
    joehonkie wrote: »

Thank you, Joe. For ANY critical bug fix by ANY company, over five months is TOO LONG when the game is unplayable.
  • edited October 2010
    Just got this game with the back to the future preorder. It crashes on start for me with DirectX errors. I have fully updated directx and my video card. Yay... =/ Time to keep surfing the forums.
  • edited October 2010
    If I understand, isn't the bug with nvidia? The game works fine for me (GTX280) on latest drivers, it's a driver issue on how it treats those newer cards.
  • edited October 2010
    Could someone link me to this support thread where people are talking about this, I honestly dont see it.
  • edited October 2010
    Ash735 wrote: »
    If I understand, isn't the bug with nvidia? The game works fine for me (GTX280) on latest drivers, it's a driver issue on how it treats those newer cards.

I guarantee you have 32bit operating system. It only affects GTX 270/280 nVidia drivers on a 64bit operating system.

And I just tried the new drivers release 10/25 and it's still broken. Telltale has admitted they know how to fix it, but would need to fix all the puzzles, so I guess that's as far as they got.

I'm glad it's working for you. Enjoy it.
  • edited October 2010
    I guarantee you have 32bit operating system.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. You now owe me money! :D

Well, I've finished the game, so either the bug is really small and I didn't notice it, or, I just didn't get this bug.
  • edited October 2010
    Ash735 wrote: »
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. You now owe me money! :D

Well, I've finished the game, so either the bug is really small and I didn't notice it, or, I just didn't get this bug.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I made a mistake earlier. The problem exists on the 4xx series of graphics cards, NOT the 2xx series. That's why you are able to play without issue.

The bug IS a big one. On the second puzzle, the z-order of the overlayed screens for the log-moving puzzle is wrong. The grid is completely empty, and the person and logs are UNDER the grid screen and cannot be reached. Actually, you can see the upper left corner of a log and can grab it with the mouse, but as soon as you drop it, it hides under the grid screen again. The puzzle cannot be solved and the story cannot move forward.
  • edited October 2010
    For laughs for people: it's still not on par with lighthouse for mac ;) That game never worked, even after they patched it, it didn't work ;) Crashed during the intro scene due to a missing movie file that never shipped on the CDs...
  • edited October 2010
    I guarantee you have 32bit operating system. It only affects GTX 270/280 nVidia drivers on a 64bit operating system.

And I just tried the new drivers release 10/25 and it's still broken. Telltale has admitted they know how to fix it, but would need to fix all the puzzles, so I guess that's as far as they got.

I'm glad it's working for you. Enjoy it.

Also affects 4xx series.

Still broken for me. 2nd puzzle. Win7 64 GTX 470. Fix plz. I bought your other stuff, but I regret buying this. I can not purchase any more telltale products while you let a known issue continue. More and more people will be getting fermi cards, more people will be getting 64-bit operating systems. There is no reason this game should be unplayable for these customers.
  • edited December 2010
    There is a new installer in the MyTelltale page. It appears to be 50MB smaller than the original installer.

It's being discussed here.
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=414106#post414106

The Steam version has also been fixed.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.