Am I A Moron?

Is it just me, or does it seem like some of the puzzles have horrible explanations? Several times I've had to resort to hints (or the forums) simply because the rules didn't correctly explain what was required of me.

Also, what other games have puzzles like the log ones? I've never seen those before and I had a really hard time with them because the concept is so foreign (my roommate chastised me for not "getting it" right away)

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Yeah, I have to say, Puzzle Agent is not one of Telltale's finest moments
  • edited December 2010
    I couldn't even beat a level when using a walkthroug.
  • edited December 2010
    It was fun, but some puzzles felt like a chore instead of a mind bending puzzle ( in a food way )
  • edited December 2010
    Is it just me, or does it seem like some of the puzzles have horrible explanations? Several times I've had to resort to hints (or the forums) simply because the rules didn't correctly explain what was required of me.
    Nope, that happened to quite a lot of us actually.
  • edited December 2010
    I found most of the puzzles way to easy and obvious :(

The puzzle that took my most attempts was the one with the photos of the crows, and there wasn't even an explanation at all on how to arrange the photos to get to the result, but I guess I just missed something here.
  • edited December 2010
    There were only a few that I thought had lackluster explanations. Overall, they were explained pretty well, I thought.
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah, some needed to be better explained - the last one, it wasn't clear what you had to do exactly, I recall being penalised because I didn't get what I was supposed to be doing. And also there was an issue with the brain/hearing one due to some yellow goo? (forgive my vagueness, I haven't played it for a while).

Otherwise, they all seemed pretty good / what I expected.
  • edited December 2010
    Here are my misinterpretations:
    Hydraulic Headache got me because I thought that we had to keep the order (1, 2, 3). I assumed that if an elevator was not on its own goal, it would go on moving. That was a very stupid thought. I found a little flaw in the description: Nowhere is said that an elevator cannot move toward a space where there is already an other elevator. Example: if you do Up, up, left right, you get in the same configuration as if you did Up, up only.
    hh10.jpg

Challenge: Can you finish the puzzle with the elevators sorted as below within less commands than me (I don't know if I'm optimized here)?
    123 => 11 commands
    132 => 11 commands
    213 => 12 commands
    231 => 12 commands
    312 => 20 commands
    321 => 14 commands

Gnegative Gnomes, one of the first puzzles. I didn't think of the flipping :s . I totally screwed this one. The explanation was clear. Maybe I was not confident enough in the game, I wrongly though of a mistake here... My fault, bad reasoning, unwillingness. Then I felt stupid and I was more into it...

Arm Wrestling Redux, explanation was clear, the answer logical, I can't believe I had it wrong. I didn't think enough :( .

Bugs in Boxes, I screwed this one too, shame on me, fast reading the wording, didn't get the "must be four sided" part. Shame on me.

Diners and Dishes, it was horrible :( . I thought a spouse was a female ("épouse" in French means "wife"). And I thought patron was a male ("patron" in French means "male boss"). Again, the explanation was clear, my interpretation, wrong.

Frantic Fish and Quorum of Crows were perfect for me. Explanations were simple and clear and I didn't misinterpret any thing :D . For Frantic Fish, I first thought "the red fishes are the least numerous, but are they the only ones? is it possible that there are an other colour as numerous as the red ones?" Immediately, I thought that I was complicating the reasoning (moreover "less" in English is strict :p ). Then "is it possible that a fish swallowed an other fish that already swallowed a fish?" obviously not :D "Each fish has one other fish inside." not two, not three. I'm complicating the rules again...
    In my view, the puzzle are all well explained. The interpretation mistakes we made are due to either:
    • Trying to complicate the problem (my major issue)
    • Fast reading
    • Not enough thinking
    • Believing that the explanation has flaws in it
    • Misinterpretations due to lack of vocabulary
    • A mix of these reasons
Sign in to comment in this discussion.