uk copy has the best cover art yet!

I've just looked on amazon uk and seen this beautiful cover.

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w176/sanjithecook/?action=view&current=71XnBmZgyUS_AA1500_.jpg

Anybody know who did it? It reminds me of both Steve Purcell and artist who designed Guybrush in tales of monkey island.

Comments

• onebluebirdonebluebird Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2011
    Hello,

Really happy to hear you like and I was surprised to see it online already. I designed it and Ryan Jones (the concept artist from the Tales of Monkey Island Series) provided the wonderful piece of art. I really wanted something that was more traditional and based the concept off something Steve had doodled sometime back, Ryan then brought it to life for this cover.
    Hope everyone enjoys it!!
  • edited January 2011
    Oh my gosh, that looks brilliant! It's worth buying another copy just for that!

I always thought Ryan's style was great, so it's really cool that he got to do the cover art for this version. Also, that's probably one of the best pieces I've seen of his; that hand poxed hand looks amazing!
  • edited January 2011
    Hello,

Really happy to hear you like and I was surprised to see it online already. I designed it and Ryan Jones (the concept artist from the Tales of Monkey Island Series) provided the wonderful piece of art. I really wanted something that was more traditional and based the concept off something Steve had doodled sometime back, Ryan then brought it to life for this cover.
    Hope everyone enjoys it!!

I love it Im proboly gona rebuy it just for that cover!
  • edited January 2011
    A-ha! I thought I'd seen a similar design somewhere before.

Edit:
    I based the concept off something Steve had doodled sometime back, Ryan then brought it to life for this cover.

Oh, whoops, just read that part then.

Also: Is there any chance we could see the original piece of art without the logos covering it?
  • edited January 2011
    Like the way it's called Premium Edition to! Makes it feel different from the others.
  • edited January 2011
    Wow, that looks brilliant.
    I think I actually prefer the new one, if only for the facial expressions.

Also: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Monkey-Island-Collectors-DVD/dp/B004GHMRR2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294915894&sr=8-2

Pretty funny how they used Laserschwert's poster for the main image. XD
  • edited January 2011
    Wow! OK, I'm definately getting myself another copy. You can't have too many copies of MI in my opinion!
  • edited January 2011
    The cover aside, it seems that the retail releases don't have any additional bells and whistles, right?
  • edited January 2011
    The cover aside, it seems that the retail releases don't have any additional bells and whistles, right?

I'm not too sure, but Play.com says that it has the concept art, IWWHI videos, wallpapers, trailers and avatars. It doesn't say anything about commentary though.
  • edited January 2011
    Well, that's all the reason I need to buy one! Ryan's art is awesome.
  • edited January 2011
    telltale please....please.... post a high res version of this cover online so we can print it out
  • edited January 2011
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    I'm not too sure, but Play.com says that it has the concept art, IWWHI videos, wallpapers, trailers and avatars. It doesn't say anything about commentary though.

Soo.... all the same stuff as on Telltale's DVD then?
  • edited January 2011
    Molokov wrote: »
    Soo.... all the same stuff as on Telltale's DVD then?

Except commentary.
  • edited January 2011
    TomPravetz wrote: »
    Except commentary.

Which was basically the main attraction.
  • edited January 2011
    Cor blimey govner, it's one of those rare occasions that I'm actually proud to be British. I've already got ToMI on disc for PC and after the recent PSN farce, also for PS3. However, with cover art that gorgeous it looks like I'll be getting a third copy. I guess you know that something is special when you end up with multiple copies!

P.S. Is it blasphemous to say that I prefer the UK cover over Purcell's original?
  • edited January 2011
    Davies wrote: »
    P.S. Is it blasphemous to say that I prefer the UK cover over Purcell's original?

No, because the design was based off of a concept of Steve's. If this weren't the case, then yes, it would be blasphemy, and it would be fifteen lashes for you.
  • edited January 2011
    Does that collector's edition come in the chest or is that still exclusive to Telltale?
  • edited January 2011
    Does that collector's edition come in the chest or is that still exclusive to Telltale?

Isn't the Collector's Edition itself exclusive to Telltale?

And, to answer your first question, the Collector's Edition comes in very elaborate pizza box with chest markings on it. It's pretty cool.
  • edited January 2011
    Woah, Ryan's artwork for this is just stunning! :eek:

Funny story: I almost got to do the retail artwork for ToMI, but I was busy with another project (although in hindsight I could kick my ass for not taking it anyway and just working at night... after all that's what I did for BTTF). But seeing this artwork, THANK GOD I didn't get to do one of my 3D renders, as this one is just so much better! Great job!!!
  • edited January 2011
    Looks really nice.
  • edited January 2011
    looks pretty cool.
  • edited January 2011
    I would like that cover...... I would like that cover signed by Ryan.
  • edited January 2011
    I WANT IT!!!!!

please
  • edited February 2011
    I've also noticed they now list the Deluxe Edition, which includes the same bonus stuff as the TellTale version, for a hefty £50 though!
  • edited February 2011
    *sighs*

This turned me on...

And then I read this...
    I WANT IT!!!!!

please

I thought, that's what I was thinking...but I don't think I'm down for this...
  • edited February 2011
    Oh man...something like that should have been the only cover of the game. They need to make that available somehow for the rest of us that got that crappy slide cover with the blank cut-by-the-lines back. Not to mention the uninspired generic cover with the in-game models.

So, now that i've been rude you will give me the pretty cover right? right?
  • edited February 2011
    Hell, put it in the store as a poster I would quite happily throw down some dosh for that.

Art that good deserves to be on a wall.

I, we, all of us, er, most of us, will pay you money, real, actual money. Go, now, contact a commercial printer, MONEY!!!1!, for you right? No brainer, give us the poster, license to print money, have I made myself clear?!?
  • edited February 2011
    Ash735 wrote: »
    I've also noticed they now list the Deluxe Edition, which includes the same bonus stuff as the TellTale version, for a hefty £50 though!

Also comes in a slightly different chest

91FUZMy2FkL._AA1500_.jpg

I'm a touch disappointed that this version is getting a general release, I hoped it would be more limited than that. But, I've had it ages and it didn't cost as much as that, so I shant complain too much! :D
  • edited February 2011
    I know it's something like of a prototype photo, and the chest on that pic isn't real, but it looks like some storage box to me. So, yeah, I prefer the TT chest. (And also I prefer the Steve Purcell slip cover, though Ryan's art DOES look cool)

Though, truth be told, when I heard ToMI Deluxe Edition was going to be in a chest, I imagined myself something like this:

ce65ca94fe04.jpg

So I was a little disappointed with TT's chest too when I got it. Though it's still a nice box.

PS. The thing on the photo is Russian Collector's Edition of the Pirates of the Burning Sea MMORPG.
  • edited February 2011
    Farlander wrote: »
    I know it's something like of a prototype photo, and the chest on that pic isn't real, but it looks like some storage box to me. So, yeah, I prefer the TT chest. (And also I prefer the Steve Purcell slip cover, though Ryan's art DOES look cool)

Though, truth be told, when I heard ToMI Deluxe Edition was going to be in a chest, I imagined myself something like this:

ce65ca94fe04.jpg

So I was a little disappointed with TT's chest too when I got it. Though it's still a nice box.

PS. The thing on the photo is Russian Collector's Edition of the Pirates of the Burning Sea MMORPG.
    Look at that chest! And that map! Why couldn't Telltale have done THAT? Instead we got a paper box masquerading as a "chest" and a fancy cartographic dinner napkin.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, that chest is very cool (the European/American releases of PotBS don't have this kind of release, although they do have ANNO 1404 with a chest, something the Russian release doesn't have). This is a small stock photo of how it looks closed.

500E68.jpg
  • edited March 2011
    I was reading a Magazine at work, which mentions distributors what games to order in, and i found this page saying that there will be 2 editions for the UK coming in April. the thing is i really prefer this cover art on the dvd then the CGI cover, oh if only there was a way of getting that cover

anyway heres a sneaky photo i took of the page

http://yfrog.com/h3m5bkwj
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Ignatius wrote: »
    Oh man...something like that should have been the only cover of the game. They need to make that available somehow for the rest of us that got that crappy slide cover with the blank cut-by-the-lines back. Not to mention the uninspired generic cover with the in-game models.
    I really like Steve Purcell's slide cover. :) The cut out paper dolls in the back are nice too. They are a fun flashback to the paper dolls Steve Purcell made for the original Monkey Island. :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=2419&stc=1&d=1300347277
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks for posting this. I had no idea there was an alternate cover! The artwork is amazing, and I am jealous of the everyone involved in creating it for being able to make something so awesome.
    nOmArch wrote: »
    Hell, put it in the store as a poster I would quite happily throw down some dosh for that.

I have to agree. I already own the other poster, but I would love to purchase a poster of this if it was made available.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.