Welcome to the Fables Forums

Hey everyone! Welcome to the Fables forums!

Enjoy yourselves, but don't let The Adversary get you!

Comments

• edited February 2011
    ...don't let The Adversary get you!

I guess this means the episodes are going to be set somewhere in the first half of the series (thusfar) then. :P
  • edited February 2011
    The story was featured on the front page of Superherohype, a leading comics and film website I frequent, that is connected to AintitCool, LatinoReview, Comingsoon, etc. Why am I posting this? I've been going to this website even longer than Telltale, and I never thought I'd see the day that Telltale was featured on their front page. It's cool! If you wanted to get the attention of comics fans to this project, this website was a fantastic place to do so.
  • edited February 2011
    Interesting, not sure how it's going to work in an adventure game setting but Telltale has amazed me before.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm curious to see how this will turn out.
    Will there be rape in the game too? It's not a true DC-related product if there isn't rape.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm curious to see how this will turn out.
    Will there be rape in the game too? It's not a true DC-related product if there isn't rape.

:confused::confused:WTF are you talking about. Apart from publishing libel about DC, of course.
  • edited February 2011
    I can tell you don't read DC/Vertigo comics much.
    Let's just say that the company is...jenerous about putting rape in their stories.
  • edited February 2011
    I can tell you don't read DC/Vertigo comics much.
    Let's just say that the company is...jenerous about putting rape in their stories.

Actually I have a large collection of comics. Especially DC and Vertigo and I would disagree with you assessment.

Vertigo is thier mature imprint and usually deals with crime you would expect sexual situations and mature content. Doesn't mean it is in every title.

I can't remember one scene in any of the recent stuff like Daytripper, American Vampire, Sweet Tooth, Unwritten, I Zombie etc.

I wouldn't say it never appears in the likes of Scalped etc but so what.

Fables has over 100 issues and a few spin offs. I can't remember any rapes scenes in the storyline, but I don't know it off by heart.
  • edited February 2011
    Lucien21 wrote: »
    Doesn't mean it is in every title.

Of course it doesn't, that's why I didn't say it.
    Nor did I say that they've done it a billion times or anything like that.
    With this:
    the company is...jenerous about putting rape in their stories
    I meant that they use the "rape" device more than they should. Which they do.
    Case in point:
    fables-new-readers-guide-20070103113752616.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    Of course it doesn't, that's why I didn't say it.
    Nor did I say that they've done it a billion times or anything like that.
    With this:

Actually you did imply it when you said it wasn't a true DC product without it. Which would suggest that they all do or they aren't true DC products.
    I meant that they use the "rape" device more than they should. Which they do.
    Case in point:
    fables-new-readers-guide-20070103113752616.jpg

That's only in his backstory and never explict in the issues. Plus it was during a brutal war where those kind of things happen.

I think you are overthinking this issue.
  • edited February 2011
    Lucien21 wrote: »
    Actually you did imply it when you said it wasn't a true DC product without it. Which would suggest that they all do or they aren't true DC products.
    That was a joke. So no, I don't really think that any DC-related product must have a rape scene in it.
    That's only in his backstory and never explict in the issues. Plus it was during a brutal war where those kind of things happen.

I think you are overthinking this issue.

Good thing I never said they do it too explicitly or without context then!
    It's about the execution. It was too juvenile and cliched, to the point they should haven't used it in the first place, since they couldn't handle it in an interesting manner. But rape used as a backstory is the fad of this time, authors think no matter how you handle it it automatically makes a character and a story deep and mature and whatnot, and that's what my complaint was about.

EDIT: Besides, it was pretty explicit. The only way it could have been more explicit was if they actually showed the genitals.
  • edited February 2011
    Just wanted to say that I'm THRILLED about this. Fables is one of my favorite series of all time. Seems like Telltale can't stop picking up properties I love. Let's just hope the difficulty is there in the puzzle aspect of the game.
  • edited February 2011
    Stupid question, I know, but is this going to be a point-and-click adventure?
  • edited February 2011
    I was briefly into graphic novels from around 1999 to 2003 and Fables was one of the last ones I read. I am pretty sure I read the first two books and liked both very much. Looking forward to seeing what kind of game this is!

I do hope it is kind of its own thing though, I don't want to need to read the books to get it.
  • edited March 2011
    Please, please let this be an adult-oriented series, unlike the watered down Sam 'n Max (the original still the best).
  • edited March 2011
    manicm wrote: »
    Please, please let this be an adult-oriented series, unlike the watered down Sam 'n Max (the original still the best).

Sam and Max have never been to the point people seem to think they were. Sam and Max cursing and using extreme extreme violence just seems out of character now.
  • LexLex
    edited March 2011
    KuroShiro wrote: »
    I guess this means the episodes are going to be set somewhere in the first half of the series (thusfar) then. :P
    Maybe, or maybe it'll be sometime before the issue #1. Telltale games seem to be original stories taking place in an established fictional universe. So right now I doubt these Fables games will be retellings of stories we've already seen.
  • edited March 2011
    Bringing up the "rape" as a storytelling device thing again, I really disagree that DC/Vertigo uses it more than it should in their stories. It's not like it doesn't happen in the real world. I think bringing it up in stories that are aimed at adults shouldn't be too shocking, as long as it is not treated in a way that's particularly exploitative. The two specifically implied examples in Fables actually added a lot to the backstory of the major characters.

I can't wait for this by the way. I've just been catching up on Fables lately (I was a few trades behind), and this is easily one of my all time favorite comics. This world seems like such a perfect fit for Telltale. Kudos, and know that I'll be preordering this :)
  • edited March 2011
    Calbeb wrote: »
    Bringing up the "rape" as a storytelling device thing again, I really disagree that DC/Vertigo uses it more than it should in their stories. It's not like it doesn't happen in the real world. I think bringing it up in stories that are aimed at adults shouldn't be too shocking, as long as it is not treated in a way that's particularly exploitative. The two specifically implied examples in Fables actually added a lot to the backstory of the major characters.

As I said before, it's not about the use of rape per se, it's about the execution. Even admitting it added up to his backstory in a way that no other tragedy could, it was still poorly executed.
    Also, DC definitely overdid with the rape thing, especially in "cape comics". A lot of their most notable female characters have been raped.
  • ttg_Stemmlettg_Stemmle Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2011
    Jeepers, where'd all this rape come from? That hardly seems like the sort of thing one expects in a "welcome" thread.

Anyhoo, hi-ho, Telltale-a-rinos. For those who don't know me, I'm Mike Stemmle, one of the writers/designers/people to inevitably blame for disappointing you horribly on Fables.

Now that we're amping up towards production (even as I type this I'm writing dialog on my other monitor and having a heated discussion with John Drake about the look of a certain character's sanctum sanctorum*), I'll be dropping by a little more often to spread news, answer questions, and generally tease the living bejebus out of Fables.

So, in that spirit, does anyone wanna hit me with some initial questions?

I'll answer one right off the bat - Unless our story changes significantly over the next few months, I don't think there's gonna be any rape.

Mike "No Rape - That's the Telltale Promise" Stemmle

* I almost typed "Sanctum Santorum," which would've been an entirely different scene altogether.
  • edited November 2011
    Hi Mike,

My main question is: how much of the comic should we read before the game comes out?

I'm a late starter (having only started reading the comic since the game's announcement) and so I've been getting the Deluxe editions that have been released - 3 volumes = 25ish issues so far. So I'm /way/ behind, obviously... so realistically, in order to avoid too many comic spoilers from playing the game, where should I read up to?

Thanks!
  • edited November 2011
    Uh, ok... I see you answered my question over here so please disregard :) And thanks for your answer :)
    edited November 2011
    Molokov wrote: »
    Uh, ok... I see you answered my question over here so please disregard :) And thanks for your answer :)

It turns out that one of the side-benefits of designing a game about time travel is that I can answers questions from the future :)

For those too lazy to jump over to the other thread, my (newly revised) pat answer is "You really don't need to read ANY of the Fables comics to understand what's going on in our game, and our game won't spoil any of the goings on IN the comics. That said, I heartily recommend picking up the Fables books, because they rock."

Mike "Like a Hurricane" Stemmle
  • edited November 2011
    Hi Stemmle! I have no idea what you're allowed to tell us about the project right now, so I'll just wish you guys luck in the coming months. Looking forward to the game!

Edit: Okay, turns out I do have a few question. I guess I would like to know what you're going to do with the gameplay in this one. More like the older Telltale titles, more like Jurassic Park, or something entirely new?

A second question: I only read the first couple of comics (and enjoyed them, but just haven't find the time to read the rest). Bill Willingham claims he sees the games as part of the storyline of the comics (meaning that events in the game can later be referenced in the comics, I guess). Could you talk a bit more about his involvement in this project, and at what point in the comics this game takes place?
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Mike! :)
    A bunch of questions:

1) What challenges Fables presents in respect to other TT games in terms of writing and atmosphere?
    2) What do you aim to achieve in terms of innovations in this game? Will we see something completely different about gameplay?
    3) Which is the direction TT is taking about this game? Cinematic adventure or a more casual approach? Will it be action oriented or puzzle oriented?
    4) I see that TT is still hiring artists: how big is the team involved? What are you aiming to visually?

Thanks! :)
    edited December 2011
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    Hi Stemmle! I have no idea what you're allowed to tell us about the project right now, so I'll just wish you guys luck in the coming months. Looking forward to the game!

Edit: Okay, turns out I do have a few question. I guess I would like to know what you're going to do with the gameplay in this one. More like the older Telltale titles, more like Jurassic Park, or something entirely new?
    For now, let's just say that we're planning on a gameplay experience that's appropriate for the Fables license :) We think you'll be pleased.

A second question: I only read the first couple of comics (and enjoyed them, but just haven't find the time to read the rest). Bill Willingham claims he sees the games as part of the storyline of the comics (meaning that events in the game can later be referenced in the comics, I guess). Could you talk a bit more about his involvement in this project, and at what point in the comics this game takes place?

Mr. Willingham's been very supportive of our efforts thus far, and has been particularly helpful in suggesting ideas to support a new element we're adding to Fabletown's lore. We suspect that he'll be getting a lot more involved now that the scripts are starting to shape up, and he gets a good look at how much we've butchered his characters :)

I don't want to spoil too much about the temporal setting of the story yet. Suffice to say that a) we're NOT terribly interested in costume dramas, b) we don't want to tread on Mr. Willingham's toes, and c) the chronicled arcs of the main characters don't leave a heckuva lot of breathing room.

Mike "Perhaps I've Said Too Much" Stemmle
    edited December 2011
    Hi Mike! :)

1) What challenges Fables presents in respect to other TT games in terms of writing and atmosphere?
    So far: More swearing, less overt comedy, and the unalloyed joy of pre-established backstories.
    2) What do you aim to achieve in terms of innovations in this game? Will we see something completely different about gameplay?
    Something old, something new, a few things borrowed, and a bunch of things appropriate to the license.
    3) Which is the direction TT is taking about this game? Cinematic adventure or a more casual approach? Will it be action oriented or puzzle oriented?
    Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Casually cinematic, with puzzles and action.
    4) I see that TT is still hiring artists: how big is the team involved? What are you aiming to visually?
    Without revealing too much of the inner workings of TTG, I will say that we've been keeping the team small in an effort to get design WAY out in front of production this time around.

Visually, we've found it best to aim for eyeballs. We tried ears once, and that was a total fiasco.

Seriously, we want to bring the comic to life. No pressure there :/

Mike "It's Alive!" Stemmle
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Casually cinematic, with puzzles and action.

Hmm. that all sounds awfully similar to an Adventure Game, are you familiar with them? :p
    edited January 2012
    Hmm. that all sounds awfully similar to an Adventure Game, are you familiar with them? :p

What are these "adventure games" of which you speak? Are they, like, popular in Europe or something?

Mike "Starting the New Year with Sarcasm" Stemmle
  • edited March 2012
    Maybe is too soon to ask but, after the wonderful surprise of getting THE WALKING DEAD in Spanish... is there any chance that FABLES get the same treatment?
  • edited March 2012
    Questions:
    Are you still improving the graphic engine for this game?
    Will you have new tech features on it? Which?

Thanks! ;)
  • edited May 2012
    I'm guessing the plan is still for "Fables" to get a showing at E3?

Q3 isn't that far away, and there's still relatively little "news" about it......
  • edited May 2012
    Any plans to support Nvidia 3D? I was able to play large portions of BTTF with 3D on, and it looked great. There were some menus and cinematic angles that didn't work so well though. I'd love to see all of Fables work in 3D.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Weeksy wrote: »
    I'm guessing the plan is still for "Fables" to get a showing at E3?
    It may have missed last year's E3 (because of the delay of Jurassic Park pushing all of Telltale's games forward and making them miss their original release windows), but Telltale's confirmed to be a exhibitor at E3 2013.

Seeing as Fables is in the next game in the pipeline (after Poker Night 2 is released later this month), it's a pretty sure bet that The Wolf Among Us will be shown at E3 this year. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.