Is this game worth it?

Hey, I'm thinking about buying this game...So is this a good game or... :D

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Hey, I'm thinking about buying this game...So is this a good game or... :D

Yes its worth the price it is short but a good laugh.
  • edited April 2011
    I DO love vulgar & dark humor; it's the best kind.

Love the Energizer Bunny joke in the trailer. I could also swear that borded-up place was Sam & Max's office building. Think I saw Bosco's in there too.

Character designs make me think of Fairway Solitaire.

Also love the pair-up of an asshole with an idiot; makes me think of classic UK comedies like Father Ted & Blackadder.
  • edited April 2011
    absolutely - dark British humour will keep you laughing plenty!
  • edited April 2011
    It is funny. However the gameplay is short and easy, took me 2 hours to beat it around 1 a.m. and that was with a lot of faffing about. There may be 30-45 minutes worth of actual game/content, but once I beat it, going back to play again felt really pointless. If it were a $4 or $5 game I would say "go for it, it is well worth it for the distraction." However it costs $10 (8.99 on sale on Steam) so I wouldn't say that.

However, I'm a cheap bastard too. Damned Scottish roots.
  • edited April 2011
    If you have price concers and an iOS device, get it there for less.
  • edited May 2011
    I have to say I'm a massive TTG fan but I'm not sure the game was worth $10 - as others have said if it was a little cheaper its a fun game for an hour or so of play but at $10 I found it too short and far too buggy (missing dialogue, things not behaving properly and one monumental freezing issue about 2/3rds through for me).

That said, money issues aside - it is an enjoyable game.
  • edited May 2011
    I just finished playing this game! It really surprised me!! Thought it was well worth the dollar! Great humour, engaging and time consuming enough. Really looking forward to ep2&3!
  • edited May 2011
    Definitely worth the pick up! I think a lot of people may end up surprised at how much they enjoy this series if they give it the chance. The pricetag may scare some people off, but it's not like we haven't paid more to see a movie that sucked and didn't even last as long. Good raunchy fun.
  • edited May 2011
    Ok, thank you guys! You've made me to buy this game. I'm gonna start playing right now! :)
  • edited May 2011
    I'm still unsure of the price. I'll wait for a more reasonable price, or a bundle of multiple episodes of Hector which comes in cheaper.
  • edited May 2011
    don't play it with your kid
  • edited May 2011
    And prepare ypurself to meet some bugs. The game code is not perfect. Once I had to restart the whole adventure.
  • edited May 2011
    I'm interested, but I'm going to wait for it to be a little cheaper.
  • edited May 2011
    And prepare ypurself to meet some bugs. The game code is not perfect. Once I had to restart the whole adventure.

Is TellTale going to release a patch to fix those bugs? It's kinda annoying to play and restart your adventure. :mad:
  • edited May 2011
    Is TellTale going to release a patch to fix those bugs? It's kinda annoying to play and restart your adventure. :mad:

Once you know what to do is easy. ;)
    BTW TellTale rarely releases patches, but I cannot say for sure.
  • edited May 2011
    Hector is awesome.
    He is a mixture of Sam+Max! ;)

Update:
    Game was awesome, but the playtime not. The Game was too easy and too short.
    But i like Hector!^^
  • edited May 2011
    I kind of want this because it's a Telltale product, but if 2 Easy + 2 Short + Bugs = $10 I'll wait for a discount or fix or something... :(
  • edited May 2011
    It's a fun little game. I want to say it's about maybe 4 hrs like the rest of the episodic games. It will make you laugh and give you a nice little Nostalgic feeling for the old leisure suit larry games.
  • edited May 2011
    I enjoyed it. I didn't encounter any bugs, but maybe I was just lucky.

It is perhaps a little short for $10, but I sorely miss adventure games with old school 2D art so I'm happy to support it anyway.
  • edited May 2011
    If you like dark humor, you don't miss it.
  • edited May 2011
    It isn't worth the money.

Too many bugs and too little gameplay. The only thing that warrants it's 'age 17+' rating is the foul language - it's certainly not the puzzle difficulty.

All in all, it's a complete dissapointment. I can't see me buying the rest of the series until it is on special offer.

This could have been another TTG 'classic', but the developers really don't seem to be that good.
  • edited June 2011
    Got this one for $2,50 now, so no big loss if it's not as good as other TT games.
  • edited June 2011
    I also think it's deffinetely not worth 10$, it's crazy paying that much money for what it offers. But of course, paying 2'50$ is a much better deal.
  • edited June 2011
    I'd rather get it on Steam though... Any chance this will turn up during the summer sale? If not, I'll just get the Telltale version.
  • edited June 2011
    It's pretty bad. Definitely not worth $10, I'm on the fence about $2.50 with the sale.
  • edited June 2011
    I'm with everyone who said that ten dollars is too much. It isn't the worst game I've played but I had higher expectations. Unless it's $2.50 or less, I wouldn't think twice about skipping it.
  • ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited June 2011
    I kind of expected more of this game, but in the end it was... meh, nothing special at all. If you really have nothing else to play, then buy it, as long as it's still $2.50.
  • edited June 2011
    For 75% off absolutely go for it. I paid the full price and don't regret it. It's only the cost of a few beers that I won't be drinking anyway so no loss there.
  • edited June 2011
    Does the $10 include the other 2 episodes when they're released?
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2011
    Does the $10 include the other 2 episodes when they're released?

Nope, just the first one.
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah, that's overpriced. Big time.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2011
    I must say I don't quite understand the disparity in pricing between the app store (Hector $3.99, Puzzle Agent 2 $6.99) and the Telltale store (Hector $9.99, Puzzle Agent 2 $9.99). Maybe people are more likely to baulk at forking over double-dollar figures in the app store.
  • edited June 2011
    I'm think there will be some sort of deal regarding the last two episodes for people who bought the first one at the full price. Like a special upgrade thing price wotsits maybe. Doodah.
  • edited June 2011
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Maybe people are more likely to baulk at forking over double-dollar figures in the app store.

That's it exactly. You can make a game worth $40 and charge only $4, and people will still call it overpriced in the reviews. It's been like that since day one on the iOS App Store, and I see the same thing happening on the Mac App Store only not quite as bad.

You can't really blame Telltale for charging what the market will bear on an individual platform basis. I think it's worse, though, for Hector because -- unlike Puzzle Agent -- you're pretty much getting a direct port without any desktop-specific features. So I agree that $10 is too much for this game episode. I got it from the $2.50 sale -- I wouldn't say it's a steal :p but I don't regret it either.

Also, this game is highly dependent on the humor, and humor is one of the most subjective of human experiences. So it's difficult for anyone to say whether or not "it's worth it" for someone else.
    I'm think there will be some sort of deal regarding the last two episodes for people who bought the first one at the full price. Like a special upgrade thing price wotsits maybe. Doodah.

I would have thought so, too, but look what they did with Puzzle Agent 2 -- not only no discount for those who paid full price for PA1, but all PA2 preorders got the bonus of a free PA1, not much of an incentive for those who already had it. So I'm not sure it's safe to expect upgrade pricing for future Hector episodes.
  • edited July 2011
    I myself am also dissapointed by it. When you compare it to things such as Dinnerladies, Acorn Antiques, The Vicar of Dibley, Absolutely Fabulous, Only Fools and Horses, Monkey Dust, Little Britain, Monty Python, etc...it's a pretty poor example of what Britain has to offer in terms of humour and wit.

Heck, I remember hearing jokes about "Shaving Ryan's Privates" back in the 90s.
  • edited July 2011
    If you have price concers and an iOS device, get it there for less.

Yes, because if you're cheap, you're going to go pay ~$500 for an iPad or iPhone just to buy the game in Apple's app store for a few dollars less. Makes tons of sense.
  • edited July 2011
    xbskid wrote: »
    Yes, because if you're cheap, you're going to go pay ~$500 for an iPad or iPhone just to buy the game in Apple's app store for a few dollars less. Makes tons of sense.

So do you think that everyone that has an iPhone is rich? Or just that everyone who has an iPhone likes to waste money unnecesarily?
  • edited January 2012
    I only got to play the full season recently, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. The PC port is a bit rough (essentially they picked the iOS version and put it on PC like that, including scrolling by clicking a button and double clicking to do anything), but all of the episodes were really enjoyable. The price of 20 bucks for all episodes isn't too bad. I finished all of them in about 10 hours.
  • edited January 2012
    Its ABSOLUTELY worth it!
    The humor was perfect. A bit short though, but would never regretted it!
  • edited January 2012
    Being a huge TTG fan since the very beginning, and after buying every possible game and every single piece of merchandise TTG have ever released (except clothing), I don't understand most of the negative opinions here.

I've played all the episodes on PC, have never encountered bugs, and I think that this is simply the best that TTG have to offer for 2011.

Sadly, with all of their 2011 releases, there is no real competition - but even in universal terms, without comparison to the games released in 2011 only, in my opinion - it's a fantastic game.
    And, even more sadder, it's not even TTG's franchise. It's like TTG "needed help from outside", from a small studio, in order to put a single worthy release through the whole passing year.

Anyway, the game is hilarious, the humor is top notch, the gameplay is very good, and this is the only TTG game from 2011 that has left me with a taste for more.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.