Just finished! Mini Review (Spoilers!)

edited December 2011 in Tales of Monkey Island
Wow, I just Finished playing Tales of Monkey Island, and It's by far the best I've seen from Telltale so far, and probably the best Point-n-click-style Adventure I've played in the last few years.

With a few exceptions the Voice acting was fantastic, Dominic Armato IS Guybrush, not only in the usual light-hearted tone, but brings some real character in the occasions that Guybrush gets serious
I got shivers when he suddenly goes so flat and ominous sounding after Morgan's death, and in the last few parts of chapter 5
There's a couple of outstanding supporters as well, in Winslow, Bugeye
(BTW, I loved the design of this guy! An "Anti-Threepwood, all bravado up front, a convincing facade over his true insecurity)
, MURRAY, and of course Morgan LeFlay - Total usurper to Elaine as the female foil, and while I don't think Guybrush would ever leave Elaine, I see potential for the UST to continue ;)

As much as I wish Telltale would really up their game when it comes to the Character animation and push their graphics a bit further (of course this is understandably limited when you want to publish on WiiWare and IOS etc.) There were some really standout moments, Guybrush in particular was well Animated and expressive, and a couple of moments I could swear
actual onscreen Chemistry between him and Morgan - I don't actually think I've seen that before in a game...
Otherwise there was a bit of a letdown with the copy-paste Pirates of Flotsam - Although this got a lot better after chapter 2.

Story wise I think this is right up there with the original games, There is some very plainly easy puzzles, and a few that had me stumped for a bit too. The dialogue all round is very reminiscent of the old MI games, clever and hilarious - lots of references to the old games, and some well crafted real-world references too
(I got a good laugh at 30,000 pieces of silver!)

Verdict: Telltale and LucasArts, MOAR PLZ!

Comments

• edited November 2011
    I finished this game just now and have to share your sentiments over how great this is. Probably until I play Back to the Future, this is Telltale's best work to date. It'll be interesting to see if Telltale pushes their graphics as we enter the next gen of gaming in a year or so. I honestly think it's time for them to take the next step.
  • edited November 2011
    I finished this game just now and have to share your sentiments over how great this is. Probably until I play Back to the Future, this is Telltale's best work to date. It'll be interesting to see if Telltale pushes their graphics as we enter the next gen of gaming in a year or so. I honestly think it's time for them to take the next step.

Back to the Future is a amazing game! But I feel Tales is still there best work as of yet... I'm waiting for a possible new MI or a new Sam and Max game as I think that will be what finally topples Tales (The Devils Playhouse was let down a little by the last chapter imo, wasn't as good as past games).
  • edited December 2011
    I just finished playing all five episodes of the Mokey Island Tales Series and I must say I'm still as amused today as I was when I was a much younger and playing the first, and second MI (instant classics in MHO). If there's ever an Oscar category for Video Games I think the scene with Guybrush and Morgan when Morgan is murdered deserves one. The 4th and 5th episodes far exceeded in complexity and richness the first three episodes and I think in no small part to the character of Morgan Laflay, the character is so well developed (far exceeding Elaine's ) that many of us actually cared when she's murdered and looked forward to seeing her in the next episode. Hopefully there will be more of her and Guybrush and the rest of the crew in the future.

Kudos to Telltale for pulling this one off, hope they work on another series of episodes sometime in the future and not have to wait nearly 10 years for it (hope this does not sound negative).

Exceptional work guys keep it up.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.