First trailer and information

I figured this deserved its own topic. Props to Gibbeynator for finding the trailer in the first place. Behold:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Law-Order-Game-1040737.aspx

My feelings on the trailer (copied from the previous topic):

I don't watch Law & Order, but it's pretty cool that they're taking all these different versions of L&O and are throwing them together. Not sure about the graphics though, feels like a bit of a step back from more recent Telltale games. Perhaps because Ipod and Ipad seem to be the main platforms this time around (with PC & Mac coming later? A bit weird if true, as the PC-versions have always been there on day 1).

I like that the game has branching storylines based on how you play. Jurassic Park had a little bit of that, which I enjoyed, and Walking Dead seems to have that even more. Very exciting. Oh, and 7 episodes? That's crazy! Maybe they're shorter than what we're used to (which also seems logical if the game is targeted at mobile platforms)?

I'm still not sure if this is a game for me, but can some of the fans (or developers!) recommend me some of the best Law & Order episodes? I'm especially interested if it stars one of the characters of the game, I guess.

Comments

• edited December 2011
    "Under the influence" is a good episode showing the balance between procuring and letting your feelings get in the way.
  • RyanKaufmanRyanKaufman Former Telltale Staff
    edited December 2011
    Hey everyone! Thanks for waiting so patiently about news for Law & Order..

I'm Ryan Kaufman, the senior designer and writer on Law & Order: Legacies. I haven't been around the forums much, but I hope to change that and get more involved.

I'm starting a Twitter account to post news and trivia as we finish up the game, so you can see it happen real-time. (Sorta.)

https://twitter.com/PreppyJogger

Thanks for hanging in there! I'm really excited about the game and I hope you will be too.
  • edited December 2011
    Will it be out before Christmas?
  • edited December 2011
    Huh. Interesting. Here's my thoughts.

Before I begin, let me say that I know next to nothing about Law and Order, so this is Telltale's first game where I can't speak as a fan of the franchise. Maybe someone who loves L&O would have a better impression from this than me, maybe they'd have a worse one. I don't know.

-The cel-shaded graphics are nice. Telltale still has a way to go when it comes to realistic graphics. Jurassic Park looked good but not great. The cel-shaded look lets the game look realistic and cartoony at the same time. I wouldn't mind if they used that style for The Walking Dead and Fables (it'd make things look...comicky).

-Gameplay seems kind of like Phoenix Wright. Which I fucking love. This might even be a decent way for me to fill the void since Capcom seems to have given up on bringing AA to the States.

-Seven episodes? That's a lot. Unless these are shorter than your usual episode, that would make this Telltale's biggest game yet.

-Branching paths and multiple endings? If they deliver, this is actually getting kind of promising.

At the same time, though, I see some bad stuff.

-That "You don't have to be a gamer to play" remark. Given how BttF and JP were both ultimately disappointments because of how watered-down they were for the casual crowd, that's a BIG red flag. I guess that remark could apply to adventure games as a whole, though, since they emphasize intellectual challenges over action and don't have any complex controls. If I was trying to introduce someone who's never played a video game before (like an older person...who likes watching cop dramas...) to, say, Monkey Island, I might say the same thing. Nevertheless, that sentence is a huge cause for alarm.

-Releasing it for the iThing 4.0 G before the PC (and no mention of consoles at all). Call me biased, but I sort of feel as adventure game developers Telltale should give top priority to the system that's been the genre's home for so long. I get why Telltale's started putting as much as they can on the App Store, but I hope they don't start thinking of themselves as a full-on maker of iGames. I'd rather be associated with the system that gave us Myst and Half-Life than the one that gave us Angry Birds and Fart Button. :p
  • edited December 2011
    I agree that it's disappointing to hear that it's coming out on iStuff first and PC later. But hey, it's just waiting a little longer. Won't be that big of a deal as long as I can avoid spoilers.
  • edited December 2011
    The website is available as well: http://www.telltalegames.com/lawandorder/

It has the trailer, some screenshots, information on the first 2 episodes and on the characters. The site also confirms that there will be 7 episodes.
  • edited December 2011
    The plots for the first 2 episodes sound like the Rupert Murdoch Phone Hacking Scandal and the Michael Jackson/Conrad Murry case.
  • edited December 2011
    On the TTG youtube video of the trailer

Tags:

It feels like there trolling my Jack McCoy obsession.:p (Also you spelt McCoy wrong).
  • harrisonpinkharrisonpink Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    It feels like there trolling my Jack McCoy obsession.:p (Also you spelt McCoy wrong).

McCoy is what makes that show. You aren't alone coolsome ;)
  • edited December 2011
    I dislike the artstyle direction.

Otherwise, looks pretty good.
    edited December 2011
    DanDud88 wrote: »
    The plots for the first 2 episodes sound like the Rupert Murdoch Phone Hacking Scandal and the Michael Jackson/Conrad Murry case.

One of the most enjoyable things about writing for Law & Order are those "ripped from the headlines" storylines. We had a ton of fun finding them and adapting them into a crime you could investigate.

So yeah... one of these guesses is a pretty darn good one... ;)

That first episode is actually chock full of headlines... after it comes out, I'll discuss more in detail where they came from and how we fit em together. Er... assuming you guys & gals are interested.
  • edited December 2011
    One of the most enjoyable things about writing for Law & Order are those "ripped from the headlines" storylines. We had a ton of fun finding them and adapting them into a crime you could investigate.

So yeah... one of these guesses is a pretty darn good one... ;)

That first episode is actually chock full of headlines... after it comes out, I'll discuss more in detail where they came from and how we fit em together. Er... assuming you guys & gals are interested.

*clears throat*

I do believe SQUEEEEEEE is in order. Mmhm. Rightly so.

Ehem. Carry on.
  • edited December 2011
    http://www.gamesradar.com/law-order-legacies-preview-phoenix-wright-special-victims-unit/

Gamesradar posted up a preview earlier today that you guys might find interesting.
  • edited December 2011
    Any chance we could get official word regarding if due to the longer length and lower price point that each individual episode would be shorter, or will it be the usual TTG 2-3 hours an episode?
  • edited December 2011
    Ribs wrote: »
    Any chance we could get official word regarding if due to the longer length and lower price point that each individual episode would be shorter, or will it be the usual TTG 2-3 hours an episode?

The Gamesradar article says each episode is about 1-2 hours long, so yes, they're shorter.

Seven two-hour episodes compared to five three-hour episodes, 14 vs. 15...yeah, it's roughly even.
  • edited December 2011
    Looks interesting. Have a question though;

Since there are multiple ways to end a case; will your actions in one episode have any consequensces for the upcoming episodes story-wise, or are they pretty much stand-alone episodes with no relations whatsoever?
  • edited December 2011
    http://www.gamesradar.com/law-order-legacies-preview-phoenix-wright-special-victims-unit/

Gamesradar posted up a preview earlier today that you guys might find interesting.
    Good read, thanks for the link.

I laughed at this part:
    Now if they can only court Christopher Meloni to reprise his role as Elliot Stabler so we could beat up people and call them pedophiles, we'll really be sold on the "dream team" thing...
    edited December 2011
    As you may or may not know, we work pretty fast on the Law & Order episodes. Right now I'm working on the last episode of the season, wrapping everything up. Thought I'd Tweet a teaser of a scene...

https://twitter.com/#!/PreppyJogger/status/147365936977035264/photo/1
  • edited December 2011
    This game looks good to me, and with this cast the art style, it looks better than I thought. Man it's good to see Lennie Brisco again, as well as Jack McCoy and the other cast you chose. Personally, I was kinda hopping for Ed Green & maybe Robert Goren for an episode, (or even John Munch)...well, maybe next season.

As a Law & Order fan, I'm liking what I'm seeing and I'll grab this game when it comes out for PC.
  • edited December 2011
    As you may or may not know, we work pretty fast on the Law & Order episodes. Right now I'm working on the last episode of the season, wrapping everything up. Thought I'd Tweet a teaser of a scene...

https://twitter.com/#!/PreppyJogger/status/147365936977035264/photo/1

Patricide? You guys haven't been watching Star Wars again have you?
    edited December 2011
    This game looks good to me, and with this cast the art style, it looks better than I thought. Man it's good to see Lennie Brisco again, as well as Jack McCoy and the other cast you chose. Personally, I was kinda hopping for Ed Green & maybe Robert Goren for an episode, (or even John Munch)...well, maybe next season.

As a Law & Order fan, I'm liking what I'm seeing and I'll grab this game when it comes out for PC.

Thanks! Yeah, there have been so many great detectives and attorneys over the years. It was really hard to pick. I thought a long time how to fit Bobby Goren into this season... we shall see...

And yeah, Tjibbbe, that episode will be chockful of father/son conflict. And in the end, Jack McCoy becomes a Dark Lord of the Sith. Aw damn, gave it away.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2011
    This trailer has me rather excited, which is unexpected. ;)

I have watched some L&O episodes, but never really got into the series. But the concept was neat, and that is obviously transferred to the game. Also, this is the one type of adventure adaptation where "losing" actually makes sense. It's quite often that in modern TV courtroom drama series, the lawyer protagonist is allowed to lose the case - because he's been played, because personal matters have impaired his ability, because an impractical US law prohibits him from presenting that one final evidence or because it might become evident during the prosecution that the defendant is in fact innocent. Some of these endings are shocking, but mostly make for a satisfying ending of a TV episode. I am curious as to whether this might work in an interactive medium, where "winning" must be perceived as a far stronger impetus for the consumer. Watch your endings there, TTG! ;)

This is also what might put the "You don't have to be a gamer to play it" into context. You're making decisions in a story, you don't necessarily play to win.

Graphic style: I'd say it's a win. This is obviously mainly designed for the mobile devices, so some limping is to be expected. Something still strikes me as quite not right in the trailer, but I can't really say what it is. Something I can name is that the choices presented block the entire screen. Ahhh, don't do that in the PC version, please. I know that mobile enthusiasts are enamored with getting their fingers everywhere on the display, but we PC players want to see a bit more of the characters during conversations. :D

Whoops, post was longer than expected. Gottago.
  • edited December 2011
    I wonder of the PC version will have a collector's disc.
  • edited December 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    I wonder of the PC version will have a collector's disc.

With a action figure of Jack McCoy! Pull the string and he says such great catchphrases as 'Objection, your honor!' 'Did he make the plea?' and 'Someone's poisoned the water hole!'
  • edited December 2011
    Ribs wrote: »
    With a action figure of Jack McCoy! Pull the string and he says such great catchphrases as 'Objection, your honor!' 'Did he make the plea?' and 'Someone's poisoned the water hole!'

And of course, "Hey no baby, I don't use rubbers, it's better bareback." ;)
  • edited January 2012
    How do you get the In Game Purchases of the other episodes on Law & Order Legacies for the iPhone?
    edited January 2012
    From the Episode Menu, swipe to either right or left. You can purchase the whole enchilada for a bargain price (The Multi-pack) or single episodes as you wish.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.