2011 release?

edited February 2012 in The Walking Dead
Was I seeing things when I saw that this would be released in 2011 remember reading that about 2 months back, since Jurassic park hasn't come out yet I wasn't really expecting a Walking Dead release.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    It was originally announced for a fall 2011 release, but it's since been pushed back to winter, I believe.
  • edited November 2011
    I have a good hunch that we'll hear more about this game as soon Jurassic Park releases.
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah, after Jurassic Park is released this will likely be Telltale's next project along with Law & Order. Hopefully we'll see the first episode before the end of 2011 but it's always possible it will be pushed back to early 2012. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • edited November 2011
    My hunch is it will premier with The Walking Dead series in February after the show's season break.
  • edited November 2011
    My hunch is it will premier with The Walking Dead series in February after the show's season break.

The Walking Dead has a season break this year?
  • edited November 2011
    Dameon2k wrote: »
    The Walking Dead has a season break this year?

Yup, it is because the second season is 13 episodes as supposed to the first one which was only six. AMC are financing the whole thing and probably want to see as much returns as they can get as quickly as they can get it.
  • edited November 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    Yup, it is because the second season is 13 episodes as supposed to the first one which was only six. AMC are financing the whole thing and probably want to see as much returns as they can get as quickly as they can get it.

Good to hear that there will be more episodes to watch; unfortunately, my brain is starting to liken the "Lost girl" story arc to Dragon Ball Z, where a 5-minute charge-up and battle time frame is stretched into 6+ half-hour episodes, so although I can understand keeping most of the story at this one house in Alabama to reduce budget costs (Speculation on my part), I'm going to be really disappointed if it takes all 13 episodes for them to find the girl and move on to the next plot of land.
  • edited November 2011
    We are 12 days away from December right now and no new info as of yet, so a 2011 release seems unlikely.
  • edited November 2011
    They've been working on Walking Dead so who knows... I would not really be all that surprised if it came out in DEC... but yeah I think 2012 is more likely.
  • edited November 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    They've been working on Walking Dead so who knows... I would not really be all that surprised if it came out in DEC... but yeah I think 2012 is more likely.

Yeah, I wouldn't count on a December release. I seriously doubt there'd be so short a gap between this and Jurassic Park.

On the bright side, now that JP is out we should start hearing more about the game.
  • edited November 2011
    I think a 2011 release would be more plausible if JP hadn't been delayed. Since JP has just now come out, Walking Dead is probably going to hit Q2 2012 at the earliest.
  • edited November 2011
    Wouldn't it make sense to release the game between walking dead seasons.. so once season 2 is finished in 2012.. then those fans feening for something could play the game while waiting for season 3
  • edited November 2011
    What I want to know is why there isn't a trailer or additional news concerning the game.
  • edited November 2011
    We usually do not get video until REALLY close to release...
  • edited November 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    We usually do not get video until REALLY close to release...

Are you kidding me? They released gameplay trailers for Batman AA almost a year before it came out!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Last time I checked, Arkham Asylum wasn't a Telltale game. ;)

The last years were a pretty exiting experience because you just didn't know what TTG would do next. And when they made an announcement, chances were that you'd have the first episode of the franchise only 3 or 4 months later. That's far better than a trailer.

Can't say when we'll finally have this game. Might be a while. If I had to guess, I'd say first half of 2012. After all, it seems to be TTG's next project on the schedule.
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah, it's not really fair to compare a Telltale game to a AAA title with a massive budget and a huge developmental cycle. They follow completely different production schedules and have different release formats.
  • edited November 2011
    Hero1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it make sense to release the game between walking dead seasons.. so once season 2 is finished in 2012.. then those fans feening for something could play the game while waiting for season 3

The game isn't explicitly following the television series, and will be based more off the comics than anything else, so why would releasing it during a season of the TV series make a difference?
  • edited November 2011
    xbskid wrote: »
    The game isn't explicitly following the television series, and will be based more off the comics than anything else, so why would releasing it during a season of the TV series make a difference?

Because the hype associated with the franchise will be at a high when the show is on. Imagine all the fans of The Walking Dead TV show who don't know a thing about this game. Play some ads for the game during the show and bam, you're informing a lot of your potential customers at once.
  • edited November 2011
    Because the hype associated with the franchise will be at a high when the show is on. Imagine all the fans of The Walking Dead TV show who don't know a thing about this game. Play some ads for the game during the show and bam, you're informing a lot of your potential customers at once.

I hope they do advertise during the show's time slot... even if its a small teaser trailer... let fans of the show know its coming... But I imagine its something TT has thought/talked about internally.
  • edited November 2011

I suppose, but when have you ever seen a television commercial for a Telltale Games title?
  • edited November 2011
    I suppose, but when have you ever seen a television commercial for a Telltale Games title?

Never, but I live in Australia. TBH I have no idea if they show commercials in the US or not. Even if they don't now it doesn't necessarily mean they never will in the future, though perhaps they'd prefer to spend their money elsewhere.
  • edited November 2011
    I don't think I've ever seen a TTG commercial here in the US--then again, I don't really watch TV.

It is my personal belief that TTG has enough of a following that they could get away with little to no marketing budget; just enough to write a blog post, author a press release, and forward it to major gaming blogs, which takes, what, a couple hours at the most? Of course, in reality, I'm sure it's more involved than that.
  • edited November 2011

Several months ago, Beyond Time and Space was going out on retail.
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah, pretty sure Telltale's not big enough for TV spots yet.
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah, pretty sure Telltale's not big enough for TV spots yet.

I wouldn't mind seeing one, though. I wonder how expensive they are...
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2011
    I wouldn't mind seeing one, though. I wonder how expensive they are...

It depends on the channel, the time of day and the popularity of the program being shown at that time. I'd imagine ad slots during a show like The Walking Dead would be at a premium.
  • edited November 2011
    Don't the developers post much here?

Maybe they could clear this all up :-s
  • edited November 2011
    Ja1862 wrote: »

Yeah they do. Heck they organize TF2 events and play with us. Althoughh they haven't said much yet, I don't even think they've responded on the wherabouts of the Puzzle Agent wiiware port.:D
  • edited November 2011
    I've never seen a TTG TV commercial--but this would be the first game they've done based on a currently popular and currently aired TV show, so it'd make sense if this was the first one. And it's such an obvious and excellent option for how to advertise the game, price is probably the only possible reason to not do it. I think it would be immensely worth whatever the cost was, though.

Walking Dead just went on its hiatus until February, I think, so maybe they'll release during the second half of the TV season.
  • edited December 2011
    KatieHal wrote: »
    i've never seen a ttg tv commercial--but this would be the first game they've done based on a currently popular and currently aired tv show
    ....csi?
  • edited December 2011
    I think you mean Law & Order, but right--not the first after all! Derp :P
  • edited December 2011
    KatieHal wrote: »
    I think you mean Law & Order, but right--not the first after all! Derp :P

Telltale also made three CSI games that were published by Ubisoft.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2011
    Ja1862 wrote: »

If there's no official info, it's likely because

(a) they don't know themselves
    (b) they don't want the info out yet or
    (c) the answer is obvious.

Concerning (c), I think we can at least answer the question asked in the thread title with a huge, resounding: "No". :D
  • harrisonpinkharrisonpink Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2011
    If there's no official info, it's likely because

(a) they don't know themselves
    (b) they don't want the info out yet or
    (c) the answer is obvious.

Concerning (c), I think we can at least answer the question asked in the thread title with a huge, resounding: "No". :D

Or (d) because official timeline stuff should probably come from the right channels. I could give my grain-of-salt "it's looking like X", but then I'd hate to see my name show up on Kotaku as a cited source for an expected release date. Telltale's got other folks who can handle that pressure better than me! :p
  • edited December 2011
    Or (d) because official timeline stuff should probably come from the right channels. I could give my grain-of-salt "it's looking like X", but then I'd hate to see my name show up on Kotaku as a cited source for an expected release date. Telltale's got other folks who can handle that pressure better than me! :p
    Last time I remember seeing a grain-of-salt estimate for the release of something from a Telltale employee, it ended up being a whole year off. A far earlier estimate was given for the release of Sam and Max Season Three, before Telltale got the rights to make a game using the Monkey Island franchise, and between the time of the Season Three guess and the announcement of Tales of Monkey Island, the fanbase wasn't particularly happy. =P
  • edited December 2011

That is what I was thinking too. :)

I hope we are both correct!
  • edited February 2012
    Telltale tweeted...
    Need reading material for your zombie-apocalypse bug-out bag? Grab the March issue of @OXM & get some fleshy details about The Walking Dead.

So sometime after March then.
  • edited February 2012
    Nightlight wrote: »
    Telltale tweeted...

So sometime after March then.

Dammit, March isn't winter! ...Well, OK, technically prior to the 21st it is, but you know what I mean.
  • edited February 2012

X as in 10? Just kidding. :p
This discussion has been closed.