S&M Ep203 Audio Issues

Comments

• edited February 2008
    Thank you for putting so much effort into resolving the problem. Us 64-bit users really appreciate it when a company actually cares about us.
  • edited February 2008
    Ditto. Appreciate the effort, hope you get it sorted out before the next one is out.

b
  • edited March 2008
    Good to know. I had the same issues, although I found restarting my computer every so often prevented it becoming a major problem.

I guess this is another good example of how episodic games can be superior :-)
  • edited March 2008
    Just wondering, getting all geared up before the launch of the next episode on friday, if I can expect it to work properly. I finished the last one on my laptop which worked fine(32 bit vista) but it has no real 3d card and so stutters a bit. Would like to play on the big computer... :-)

b
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    The root problem will not be fixed for 204, but I'm expecting the problem to be less serious in most instances. So the short answer is maybe. Since we don't have any computers with that problem, I'm essentially having to guess how bad it will be.
  • edited March 2008
    Some people on the list seem to blame it on 64 bit windows. Have you been able to verify this?
  • edited March 2008
    We don't have a 64 bit Vista machine to test it on so we are currently unable to verify that.
  • edited March 2008
    :-)
    Don't mean to nitpick, but I run xp 64. It's not like I expect everything to work on it, many games develops aversions to it. But it's nice for work.
  • edited March 2008
    Ah poop, guess I'd better steal my GF's laptop to play ep3 before I play ep4.
    There was a big cliffhanger wasn't there? :P
  • edited March 2008
    bangskij wrote: »
    :-)
    Don't mean to nitpick, but I run xp 64. It's not like I expect everything to work on it, many games develops aversions to it. But it's nice for work.

XP 64-bit has the worst driver support of the whole universe, just about :) I have not had problems on Vista 64-bit yet, even though people seem to think that is the common nominator.

ps. telltale team, up the bitrate of the voiceovers, as the S's still aren't really perfect, with headphones the lack of bitrate is ever so apparent. I think this was mentioned when the first episode came out ;)
    edited March 2008
    Out of curiosity, how was the music in 204? More problems? Fewer?
  • edited March 2008
    The music worked fine except for the end credits, which were completely silent. I take it there was supposed to be a track playing then?

By the way, I've also had the music go silent for the end credits of episode 2 this season; I assume it's the same bug..?
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, almost certainly. For this episode, the end credits was an instrumental version of The Song. For 202 it was the full version of Miller's song.
  • edited March 2008
    It's not a 64-bit issue - mine's a 32-bit OS. (Regarding 204, I'll let you know when I've played it. I only wish I had more time!)
  • edited March 2008
    Will wrote: »

No audio dropout problems like I've occasionally encountered before. The T.H.E.M. song was slightly "soft" compared to the spoken dialogue that peppered it, but honestly that could just have been my speakers.

(I did have a problem in that I encountered intermittent "lag" whenever I was in Stinky's -- most notably immediately upon entering, and then right after starting and ending conversations. Basically, whenever I interacted with anything in that area, the game would freeze up for a few seconds.)
  • edited March 2008
    Okay, this time I heard absolutely no music at all apart from incidentals during cutscenes, the opening and closing credits sequence, during the auto-destruct sequence, during four instances of conversation (speaking with Max after breaking into Bosco's, Superball in the Oval Office, Future Max and the Oldest Mariachi) and (thank god for small mercies) the T.H.E.M song (which was radical, awesome and other 80s catchphrases). But apart from those instances - endless, background-ambient-noise-but-no-music silence, which is a shame as this episode is quite possibly the best of this season yet.
  • edited March 2008
    Just dropping in to this thread to say I've had to stop playing Season 2 now as well due to this issue.

The only problem I've had is that the music in the nightclub is non-existent. If I start a convo it starts and then promptly goes away. No fix fixes it.

I've tried it with three audio interfaces. My Sound Blaster 1024 Live!, some on-board thing that Windows calls "Realtek HD Audio" and my E-MU 0202 USB interface. All of them do the same thing.

Again, I have Windows XP x64.

I hope this gets a fix soon enough. I opened up the .aud file and the music is utterly superb, so this is a real shame!
  • edited March 2008

I've got the same problem as everbody here on 203, and it continues on 204. When starting a new game there IS music during the intro-cutscene (the trio breaking into Bosco's), but no music when wandering around there. Launching into a conversation gives music (the "light" version), and the UFO-cutscene and the main titles have music as well. Wandering around the spaceship has - again - no music.

I'm on XP64 as well, so I guess 64-bit is our "T.H.E.M." here.

Luckily at home I'm running XP 32-bit, and there's no problems there.
  • edited March 2008
    On my desktop pc(64 bit xp) it is as before, little music. On my laptop(vista 32 bit) everything works fine.
  • edited March 2008
    I dieing here for a fix! I've had to put season 2 on hold and it's killing me. I can't even read the boards so I don't spoil any thing from the last 2 episodes. :(
  • edited April 2008
    It's not a 64-bit issue - mine's a 32-bit OS. (Regarding 204, I'll let you know when I've played it. I only wish I had more time!)

…and now I've finished the game (fun, btw). No problems for me in this episode.
  • edited April 2008
    Any update? Will this be fixed for the finale and season 2 updated? I'm dieing to play 203-205, but only if the music is working.
    edited April 2008
    We made some changes to 205 audio, but I'm not sure it is the ultimate fix. We will likely find out tomorrow.
  • edited April 2008
    Well, I just tested out 205 and the problem remains.
    There is music in the intro cutscene, but once gameplay starts there is no music at all.
  • edited April 2008
    Yes. The problem remains. No change here also.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm still waiting on this to be fixed, I stopped play Night of the Raving dead because I didn't want to miss any of the music. At this rate, I'll have to wait for the Season 2 soundtrack to come out and just play it in the background while I'm playing the game.
  • edited April 2008
    If you have no computers that exhibitis this problem, is there something I(we, the community) can do to help? Some technical info or something like that we may retrieve from the bowels of our machines... ?
    edited April 2008
    Well we are working on a fix, but it is a pretty major change to the engine. We were on such a tight schedule that it would have been too risky to make the change. We should certainly have a fix in time for the season DVD at the absolute latest.
  • edited April 2008
    Same problems as before - more silence than you can poke a sickly giraffe at, unfortunately.
  • edited May 2008
    Any time frame on the sound fix? Been anxiously awaiting the ability to enjoy the last 3 episodes of the season.
    edited May 2008
    The sound code is currently being melted down, reforged, tempered, and banged upon mightily by giant sledge hammers. In short, I don't know, but rest assured that we are definitely working on the many problems.
  • edited May 2008
    The sound code is currently being melted down, reforged, tempered, and banged upon mightily by giant sledge hammers. In short, I don't know, but rest assured that we are definitely working on the many problems.

Haha! kudos for a most awesome response!
  • edited May 2008
    It looks to me like fixing the problems would involve major deframbulation of the sprambulonic wibble matrix, not to mention a complete overhaul of the Wamberton-Breggle Spranting System(TM). The fixes should be completed in a year starting with a two (number of digits unknown).
  • edited May 2008
    BiggerJ wrote: »
    It looks to me like fixing the problems would involve major deframbulation of the sprambulonic wibble matrix, not to mention a complete overhaul of the Wamberton-Breggle Spranting System(TM). The fixes should be completed in a year starting with a two (number of digits unknown).

Nothing a good sonic screwdriver couldn't fix!
  • edited May 2008
    So what you're saying is that the sound code is hastily tied together with bits of timey wimey string?
  • edited May 2008
    Fonars wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that the sound code is hastily tied together with bits of timey wimey string?

A great big ball of timey wimey stuff. Far more effective.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    Fonars wrote: »

That's exactly what he's saying.
    edited May 2008
    Was hastily tied together with bits of timey wimey string. Now it is being tied together with razor wire, so every time we touch it we cut ourselves. We are kinda emo in that way.
  • edited May 2008
    Good luck maintaining that!
  • edited May 2008
    Need any help beta testing the new code? Win XP64 Pro user.

For some reason, I just simply can't bear to format a new partition for XP32. I'm afraid it would burn like the hemorrhoids of a thousand suns.

*sits on pins and needles*
This discussion has been closed.