Law & Order: What to see?

I'm very interested in this game, if as I've read is some kind of Phoenix Wright, but I have never seen any of the L&O shows. And I wouldn't like to miss the references, so... Could you recommend me a (short) list of episodes-I-should-watch-to-catch-up-with-the-show?

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Phoenix Wright's a decent way to describe it, but without the humor and the spiky hair.

No need to worry about "catching up" with the show. Law & Order doesn't really have strong continuity in terms of overarching storylines or that sort of thing. It's more "here's the case of the week, let's resolve it in an hour" sort of thing, with each episode either mirroring a real high-profile case that's been in the news or just picking a topic that's been hotly debated recently and running with it.

Now, that's the case with the parent Law & Order series which this game is based on. The spin-offs like SVU/Criminal Intent/etc. can be a lot heavier in terms of plot progression and character development over the season.

With Law & Order, you might occasionally see a multi-part episode, but only time you really have much in the way of character development/progression is when it comes time for an actor to leave the series for one reason or the other and their character has to be written out.

So...really, I'd say look it up on wikipedia to get a feeling for the setting and to get a feeling for who's who. Legacies pulls in characters from all over the series (and at least one character from the SVU spin-off).

Other than that, you might want to watch an episode or two from early in the series, the middle seasons, and the more recent seasons just to get a feel for the timeline and a better idea of how and episode progresses.
  • edited January 2012
    Thanks for the answer!
    JJoyce wrote: »
    Phoenix Wright's a decent way to describe it, but without the humor and the spiky hair.
    I can live without that. :D

JJoyce wrote: »
    Other than that, you might want to watch an episode or two from early in the series, the middle seasons, and the more recent seasons just to get a feel for the timeline and a better idea of how and episode progresses.
    Yeah, that was my idea, watch 4 or 5 good standalone episodes to get the feel of the show and know the main characters.
  • edited January 2012
    Then you may want to try "Survivor" from the 14th season. That'll give you Curtis, Briscoe, Van Buren and Jack McCoy. Very good episode, lots of twists.

"Jurisdiction" from the 3rd season is very good as well. It'll give you some more Briscoe, Executive ADA Ben Stone at his finest, and a very good look at Mike Logan. It's also somewhat unique in that (as I recall), the story wasn't just "inspired by" but actually used names for at least two central characters, and ended with a "where are they now" epilogue.

For Abbie Carmichael, one of many ADAs working for Jack McCoy, her best episode is possibly "Agony" from Season 9.

For the new Executive ADA, Michael Cutter, I can't really recommend any specific episode. Lost interest after Jack McCoy became DA, and the few episodes I saw, I didn't care a lot for.

And of course, Olivia Benson, you can probably pick almost any episode of SVU to give you an idea of what to expect.

One word of warning; don't get too attached to actors voices. Legacies does NOT use anyone from the series and while the voice ACTING is generally fine, I find the voice ACTORS to be incredibly annoying, but....That largely because I'm familiar with what they "should" sound like.
  • edited April 2013
    I did see those episodes and were better in fact. I although being a fan of thsi show couldn't keep in regular touch.

annuity settlements
Sign in to comment in this discussion.