What are the definitive versions of MI 1 and 2?

edited March 2012 in Tales of Monkey Island
It seems that there are some differences between the many versions of The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (talking about all of the original platforms the games were released on, not the special editions) and I can't really find the answer: What are considered to be the definitive versions of these games, or are there definitive versions? Amiga, Atari ST, CDTV, DOS, FM Towns, Mac OS, Sega CD (though that list varies for Monkey Island 2), which are the ones that are considered the best and/or the original?

Comments

• SydSyd
    edited March 2012
    I'd imagine the DOS version is the one most people played.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2012
    It's really a matter of taste. For Monkey Island 1, a lot of people prefer the Amiga's music, and a lot of people prefer the DOS VGA CD's music (me included, although these days I play the DOS VGA version with Jesse Harlin's music from the SE). There are multiple versions of the DOS version of Monkey Island as well. The DOS EGA version includes a sunset over the harbor and cartoon style closeups (as well as an additional joke in the Voodoo Lady's shop about Charles Atlas that was removed from later versions due to legal reasons). The DOS VGA CD version (and versions based on that version, such as the Sega CD version) removes the stump joke in the forest. The Sega CD version has some censorship (hell is changed to here in the monkey head).

For Monkey Island 2, the versions are mostly the same except of course for differing amounts of colors and differing audio due to the games running on different hardware. Again, this is a matter of taste (and usually comes from which ever version people played first).

If you want the original version, the DOS versions would be it (EGA floppy for MI1, MI2 only had one DOS version AFAIK). But both Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2 were built with the MT-32 sound device in mind. If you don't have an MT-32, the MT-32 emulator in ScummVM is really good now in the latest daily builds.
  • edited March 2012
    Jennifer wrote: »
    It's really a matter of taste. For Monkey Island 1, a lot of people prefer the Amiga's music, and a lot of people prefer the DOS VGA CD's music (me included, although these days I play the DOS VGA version with Jesse Harlin's music from the SE). There are multiple versions of the DOS version of Monkey Island as well. The DOS EGA version includes a sunset over the harbor and cartoon style closeups (as well as an additional joke in the Voodoo Lady's shop about Charles Atlas that was removed from later versions due to legal reasons). The DOS VGA CD version (and versions based on that version, such as the Sega CD version) removes the stump joke in the forest. The Sega CD version has some censorship (hell is changed to here in the monkey head).

For Monkey Island 2, the versions are mostly the same except of course for differing amounts of colors and differing audio due to the games running on different hardware. Again, this is a matter of taste (and usually comes from which ever version people played first).

If you want the original version, the DOS versions would be it (EGA floppy for MI1, MI2 only had one DOS version AFAIK). But both Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2 were built with the MT-32 sound device in mind. If you don't have an MT-32, the MT-32 emulator in ScummVM is really good now in the latest daily builds.

Whoa, extremely thorough and informative, thanks so much!
  • edited March 2012
    Just a note that, while I too prefer the Monkey Islandd 2 Amiga's sound as opposed to the PC's general midi, the Amiga version also lack a lot of music. For example, the entire Woodtick is just completely silent, apart from Largo's theme that comes up during specific scenes. All throughout the game, where there is silence on the Amiga, there's music on the PC version.

In short, I believe the PC version is best when played with MT-32, although I think you miss out on the sound effects, like when opening doors and such? Of Monkey Island 2, I would go for the VGA version with the CD audio. It's got the interface of Monkey Island 2, complete with icons instead of just text for items in your inventory, as well as best graphics and better music.

The SE versions are good alternatives, but personally I prefer the original graphics and sound in both games, as well as no speech. I don't mind the voice actors in the Monkey Island series, but the first two games were written without voice-overs in mind, and I think it works better with only subtitles.
  • edited March 2012
    this is a matter of taste (and usually comes from which ever version people played first).

I always remember certain things from the EGA version of Secret (as it was my first version), even though I've played the VGA CD version way more times since then.

Most notably, when you give the wimpy idol to the cannibals, Lemonhead has a bit of extra dialogue: "Simple. Just like one of mine. And little. Like mine. And it says 'Made by Lemonhead' - just like one of mine!" As I recall, in the VGA CD version and in SE, he only makes two comparisons, not three.
  • edited March 2012
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    I always remember certain things from the EGA version of Secret (as it was my first version), even though I've played the VGA CD version way more times since then.

Most notably, when you give the wimpy idol to the cannibals, Lemonhead has a bit of extra dialogue: "Simple. Just like one of mine. And little. Like mine. And it says 'Made by Lemonhead' - just like one of mine!" As I recall, in the VGA CD version and in SE, he only makes two comparisons, not three.
    Yeah there are a few dialogue lines like that which are left out in the CD version of MI1.

IIRC Guybrush also has extra dialogue in MI2 when giving the fish to the fisherman on the Phatt Island wharf in the disk version.
  • edited March 2012
    our very own ATMachine has created one of my very favorite fansites.. do not let the simple design of the site fool you.. It is brilliant it points out the differences in the versions as well as many other classic games... prepare to spend hours exploring.
    http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/index.html
  • SydSyd
    edited March 2012
    ATMachine wrote: »
    Yeah there are a few dialogue lines like that which are left out in the CD version of MI1.

I do know that the infamous stump joke was removed in the CD version, but was there any other missing dialogue as well?
  • edited March 2012
    Irishmile wrote: »
    our very own ATMachine has created one of my very favorite fansites.. do not let the simple design of the site fool you.. It is brilliant it points out the differences in the versions as well as many other classic games... prepare to spend hours exploring.
    http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/index.html

Whoa, even more thoroughness! YAY! :D
  • edited March 2012
    Frankly, I hate the MI special editions for the most part. There are a few video game remakes that I enjoy, but overall I hate video game remakes. Would you colorize CasaBlanca, or put new actors into it? Leave a classic alone.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2012
    StarEye wrote: »
    In short, I believe the PC version is best when played with MT-32, although I think you miss out on the sound effects, like when opening doors and such?
    In the original executable this is true, but in ScummVM both the MT-32 music and the digital sound effects are played.
  • edited March 2012
    In the original executable this is true, but in ScummVM both the MT-32 music and the digital sound effects are played.

Interesting. Does MT-32 emulation come with the ScummVM package, or do I have to download some external files to get it working?
  • edited March 2012
    ScummVM should work right out of the box, so to speak.

Why don't you try it?
  • edited March 2012
    "Simple. Just like one of mine. And little. Like mine. And it says 'Made by Lemonhead' - just like one of mine!" As I recall, in the VGA CD version and in SE, he only makes two comparisons, not three.

He make three comparisons in the VGA Floppy version. I remember it, because I've never played the EGA version, but I played the floppy version with VGA graphics and that was one of my favourite lines EVER :D
  • edited March 2012
    I would say the versions of the game the Special Editions were built on are definitive; Secret is based on the last released version of the game, the 256 colour CD version with MP3 music. Revenge is based on the PC version with an (admittedly terrible) emulation of the MT-32. Although I personally think that the Adlib music sounds much nicer, a lot of people like the MT-32.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.