The Curse of Monkey Island Style

edited August 2012 in Tales of Monkey Island
so well, ive been out of graphic adventures since looooooong time ago, when i was a kid, and Monkey's and Indi's were part of my education.

I recently bought Monkey 1&2 with old/remake version swap mode.

I gotta say, i got disappointed by the remake... The new drawings / animations are pretty plain and unskilled.

I expected something like converting Monkey 1&2 in something like Monkey 3 style. THAT was a great improve imo, even if i am a pixel lover of the 1&2, every single map/cinematik/sountrack on the curse of monkey island was pure art.

I dont expect LucasArts or TellTaleGames to do so, but maybe there is any other game with similar artstyle, or made by the same artists?

And the other question is, Monkey Island will never move back to 2D anymore?

Thx for sharing thoughts and answers!

Comments

• edited July 2012
    The lead artist on "Curse of Monkey Island" was Bill Tiller, who founded his own (now inactive) company Autumn Moon Entertainment. AME released two games, A Vampyre Story and Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island, both featuring fantastic 2D backgrounds by Bill Tiller which take the style he developed for CoMI even further.

While visually gorgeous, both games lack a bit in the storytelling department, with A Vampyre Story sadly ending on a not-yet-concluded cliffhanger.

Having said that, both MI1 and MI2 look fantastic, and the SE of MI2 isn't too shabby either. Still, I wouldn't mind MI3 looking SEs (not to mention an HD update for "Curse of Monkey Island").
  • edited July 2012
    I loved the SE art style. And this is coming from someone that started on Monkey Island with Curse.
  • edited July 2012
    While CoMI has absolutely stunning background artwork, it also has the worst Guybrush design ever. Yes, even worse than SoMI SE.
  • edited August 2012
    The lead artist on "Curse of Monkey Island" was Bill Tiller, who founded his own (now inactive) company Autumn Moon Entertainment. AME released two games, A Vampyre Story and Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island, both featuring fantastic 2D backgrounds by Bill Tiller which take the style he developed for CoMI even further.

While visually gorgeous, both games lack a bit in the storytelling department, with A Vampyre Story sadly ending on a not-yet-concluded cliffhanger.

Having said that, both MI1 and MI2 look fantastic, and the SE of MI2 isn't too shabby either. Still, I wouldn't mind MI3 looking SEs (not to mention an HD update for "Curse of Monkey Island").

thank u so much for the info!!!
  • edited August 2012
    I just finished playing Deponia and that had a very CoMI-like art style.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.