Sam & Max episodes on disc?

edited August 2006 in Sam & Max
Hello,

Sorry if this has been covered already, but can we expect to see Sam & Max on disc format as well as download? I love to have physical objects.

Comments

• edited July 2006
    At minimum there's going to be a disc release of a Season 1 "box set". Well I'm not sure if there's anything official been said about it, but it's pretty obvious that there's going to be one. It wouldn't make any sense not to release it.
  • edited July 2006
    I also imagine there'll be a "season one" CD. Don't expect it to come out anytime soon though, obviously. Also if the Bone releases are any indication they'll only be available through Telltale's site. Then again, the Sam & Max series is being "co-produced" by the Turner funded Gametap, so maybe we'll see it in stores too?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2006
    Yes, the season will appear in a boxed version at some point. Exactly when and in what format is still being worked out.
  • edited July 2006
    I think it would be easier if you charged for the whole season at the begining. Like a subscription. Then gamers get a new game every month or so afterwards and then when the season is done, send them the boxed version.

oh and I hope the boxed version has better art then the bone ones. They seemed kinda skippy from the pics in the store. I hope there is some nice new artwork for the Sam & Max ones.
    Maybe ya'll can use the drawings that were done for the CGW magazine
  • edited July 2006
    I think it would be easier if you charged for the whole season at the begining. Like a subscription. Then gamers get a new game every month or so afterwards and then when the season is done, send them the boxed version.

I second the motion. ;)
    Listen to this guy.
    oh and I hope the boxed version has better art then the bone ones. They seemed kinda skippy from the pics in the store. I hope there is some nice new artwork for the Sam & Max ones.

I'm sure Telltale will ask Steve about something special for the cover of the season cd collection. B-)
  • edited July 2006
    I second, wait... third the suggestion...

now where did i put my credit card again? :)
  • edited July 2006
    AH yes but think about it this way, what about those who are too young too have a credit card therefore cant use game tap. i am a big fan of sam and max and all the orter lucas arts adventure games even tho i'm only 16 i have played all of them, but the last thing i want is there to me sam and max games JUST out of my reach.
  • edited July 2006
    I dunno about the laws of Ireland, but in slovenia you can have a credit card when you're 15...
  • edited July 2006
    I imagine the Season collection will also include all of this "in-between-episodes" content that I keep hearing about as well. And by "I imagine", I mean, I'd be shocked and dismayed if it did not. ;)
  • edited July 2006
    I think it should come with the webcomic all finished in a nice little book.

(and maybe the whole TV show on dvd just for good measure...)
  • edited July 2006
    Well with 21 eppisodes in season one...

Here (picture originally posted by Emily in the "No linearity, please " thread)

a dozen 20 minute cartoons, 30 pages of the webcommic...

let's see... suppose the first game would take up 500MB space and then all the others aprox 200MB (cause they mostly use the same graphics from the first game) that would be 4500MB... so aprox. one DVD... maybe a little bit more... let's say 2 DVD's... Each DVD can contain 120min of high quality videos, so if there are 12 cartoons (i honestly don't have a clue how many there are...) and if they are all 20 mins long that would be 240 mins... so 2 DVD's plus the book whitch usually sells for aprox $25... so let's tally all that

21 games = 21*$6.99 (i dunno what the price will be lol) = $146.79 (with a 20% discount) = $117.43

2 video DVD's = $39.98 - 20% = $31.98

the comic = $24.99 - 20% = $19.99

so all togather it would be 117.43 21.98 19.99 = $159.98

(note... all the values are MADE UP! They have not been confirmed (nor has anyone ever asked them to be confirmed) by the telltale team... or anyone else for that matter)

Now i don't have a problem paying that much through a period of a year or 2 years... but i'm not prepared to give that out in one piece... esspecially after i would already have the seperates bought for download from the internet...

Matt...

(btw... what WILL be the prices for that material??)
  • edited July 2006
    Uhh, where did you get the idea that there would be 21 episodes in season 1?

There will be 5 episodes the pilot in the first season of Sam & Max. I base this on the info from one of the interviews:

- Pilot on October
    - Season 1 starts in December
    - One episode per month
    - Season runs thru Dec to April ( = 5 months)
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2006
    Just for clarity: We are NOT making 12 20 minute long Sam & Max cartoons.
  • edited July 2006
    Actually i was reffering to the old sunday morning cartoons that aired even before SNM hit the road was released...

and i got the 21 eppisodes from the image i posted a link to...
    edited July 2006
    Just for clarity: We are NOT making 12 20 minute long Sam & Max cartoons.

And I didn't post that picture. I don't even understand it! :))

If I remember correctly, that image was based on conjecture about what a season could include. It's not based in any way on what Telltale's actually doing. ;)
  • edited July 2006
    ARGH!! sorry emily... i dunno why but i had it in my head that you posted it... sorry sorry sorry... ok i'll shut up now...

don't mind any messages i posted on this thread!

Matt (hides in corner)
  • edited July 2006
    AH yes but think about it this way, what about those who are too young too have a credit card therefore cant use game tap. i am a big fan of sam and max and all the orter lucas arts adventure games even tho i'm only 16 i have played all of them, but the last thing i want is there to me sam and max games JUST out of my reach.
    Get a Virtual VISA @ https://www.epassporte.com/

I used it to play Final Fantasy XI and bought a Bone game with it. You can transfer money on it from your bank account. They don't even ask for your age so I guess it doesn't matter how old you are... And even if it did say ur suppose to be 18, that's not gonna stop me. :p

Of course there are some fees involved but they're a lot less than a real creditcard:
    ePassporte Virtual Visa Amount
    Virtual Card Activation Fee FREE
    Virtual Visa Annual Fee FREE the first year and $5 each subsequent year
    Load/Reload Fee $5 per $100 or portion thereof
    Peer-to-Peer Transfer Fee 25 cents (Five transactions a day, and then $1 per transaction for each subsequent transaction in the same day)

Make sure it's the Virtual Visa and not the Electron Visa cuz that's a real card and a lot more expensive.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:
    I just saw that Gametap is US only and since you're from Ireland... It ain't gonna work. You might be able to do something about that by using a US proxy and giving a fake address or something but I wouldn't recommend it. But this game will still be distributed on the Telltale site, right? So what's the problem anyway?
  • edited July 2006
    Being an unemployed collage student I plan on ordering BONE and Sam and max when I get some extra money.

So I was wondering If there is a plan so we can buy the download content on line to play as soon as we buy and have the nice CD boxsets shipped out to us later with it?

I know how many times i format my hard disk I wouldn't want to lose my sweet adventure games so having a back up CD is oh so nice.

I think having an option to buy SAM and max/Bone episodes on XBOX 360 live arcade would be ever so sweet as well to play it on the HDTV in 5.1 dolby on the couch in a movie type fashion would be sweet.
    edited July 2006
    We're still thinking about distribution possibilities, so this is all great feedback. It's good to hear about the kinds of things people would be open to (i.e. a subscription for the whole season, a download with the option to include the box set when the season's finished, etc.)
  • edited July 2006
    We're still thinking about distribution possibilities, so this is all great feedback. It's good to hear about the kinds of things people would be open to (i.e. a subscription for the whole season, a download with the option to include the box set when the season's finished, etc.)

Or you could even COMBINE these two things. E.g.: whoever subscribes to the series will have the season box without additional charge (or a special edition cd, with unique extras). :D
  • edited July 2006
    Maybe even that Sam & Max sketchbook would be a nice addtion to the box set.
  • edited July 2006
    Actually i was reffering to the old sunday morning cartoons that aired even before SNM hit the road was released...

I thought the cartoons were mid-ninties?
    Sam & Max HTR was 93?
  • edited July 2006

How about - you pay for the box set up front (including P&P)
    Or even pay a subscription fee?
    You can download each episode as they are released
    & get sent the box set once the series is complete?
    (I know this is pretty much what you said, but I can never get enough of my own typing :D )

It would definitely work for me - The problem with downloading games is that I don’t feel as secure as when I have the physical media in my hands (I am an old fart though)
    edited July 2006
    I thought the cartoons were mid-ninties?

Late 90s, actually. I think they aired in 1998.
  • edited July 2006
  • edited July 2006
    Saturday October 4, 1997

haha...
  • edited July 2006
    If you want to download the media and buy the boxed set, you should probably expect to pay more than someone who is just downloading the content.

Not everyone is going to want to have the boxed version at the end. They've already got the game. Everything's installed. They've played it and can play it again at any time. Why receive a second copy of the game?

But for Telltale to send you the boxed version, it still costs money. For most goods out there, the largest cost to put something out on the shelf is packaging. That's why they can sell those value-packs at warehouse stores for so much less. There's less packaging.

So even if you've already bought the game, if you want the fancy packaging too prepare to pay for it.

This is the main reason the digital distribution method is as cheap as it usually is. i.e. If these games came out in stores, you'd probably be paying around $30-$35 for them.
  • edited July 2006
    I can't really imagine you guys being so lazy that you'd refuse to go to a store and buying the box set there once it is released. :)
  • edited July 2006
    I can't really imagine you guys being so lazy that you'd refuse to go to a store and buying the box set there once it is released. :)
    You assume too much.
  • edited July 2006
    If you want to download the media and buy the boxed set, you should probably expect to pay more than someone who is justdownloading the content.

That's fair enough - I'll pay :)
    Not everyone is going to want to have the boxed version at the end. They've already got the game. Everything's installed. They've played it and can play it again at any time. Why receive a second copy of the game?

I like to have a hard copy as a backup - Makes me feel fuzzy and warm inside
    But for Telltale to send you the boxed version, it still costs money. For most goods out there, the largest cost to put something out on the shelf is packaging. That's why they can sell those value-packs at warehouse stores for so much less. There's less packaging.

That's fair enough - I'll pay :)
    So even if you've already bought the game, if you want the fancy packaging too prepare to pay for it.

Hey - Thats what I said in my last post; post-idea-stealer-person!
    This is the main reason the digital distribution method is as cheap as it usually is. i.e. If these games came out in stores, you'd probably be paying around $30-$35 for them.

As a package, I'd assume they will be the same price if not more (3-4 episodes at 12.99 each (on one CD and in one box)? P&P

I don’t mind paying a couple of dollars extra for Tell-Tale to print a cover and slap it in a DVD case - Works for me :)
    edited July 2006
    There was something funky going on with the quote tags in your post. I fixed it. :)
  • edited August 2006
    There was something funky going on with the quote tags in your post. I fixed it. :)

It happens with every freaking post I do!! :p

I think it’s because I keep using [\quote] instead of [/qwote]
    Also I get distracted and excited by the smilies
    & sometimes I feel threatened by the 'Close all open mvnCode tags' message.

[EDIT]
    Ooo - Thanks for the edit btw! :)
    [/EDIT]
  • edited August 2006
    What I'd like to see, if anyone cares now that the thread's been dead over a week, is the ability to purchase the downloads individually (simultaneously with the Gametap releases if possible, at least for those outside the US) and then for a minimal fee (though I don't begrudge Telltale the right to make a profit) upgrade to the box set at the end of the season if you've bought every episode. The subscription idea (sort of the boxset preordered and being able to download the episodes as they come out) is one I'd be open to as well, though I'm not sure how attractive it would be to the average person.
  • edited August 2006
    i was browsing through this forum for some days now and i just had to register for this thread.
    'cause i got a question:

i don't get it with the cd-releases.
    is it right that every episode will be also available on cd?
    or will there be only a box-set with every episode in it?

and another question:
    i live in germany - can i purchase the download-version?

~edit~
    and btw, i forgot to say that:
    TellTale, :x for making a Sam&Max-sequel
    :D
  • edited August 2006
    i don't get it with the cd-releases.
    is it right that every episode will be also available on cd?
    or will there be only a box-set with every episode in it?

and another question:
    i live in germany - can i purchase the download-version?

I can answer these questions:
    Every episode will be available for download separately, but probably not as a separate CD. Not 100% sure on this one but that's my strong gut feeling. There will be a box-set with every episode in it.

Yes, you can purchase the download version from Germany.
  • edited August 2006
    ah...ok, thank you for the answer! :)

and if i buy ALL the downloadable episodes i still have to pay the FULL price for the box-set?
    or will there be a discount?

'cause i love to have games on a disc, not only on my HDD - i mean, if i would have it only on my HDD i could download the game from somewhere illegally and it would be the same (for me)
    :|
  • edited August 2006
    and if i buy ALL the downloadable episodes i still have to pay the FULL price for the box-set?
    or will there be a discount?

'cause i love to have games on a disc, not only on my HDD - i mean, if i would have it only on my HDD i could download the game from somewhere illegally and it would be the same (for me)
    There will probably be some discount on it, if you've purchased some or all episodes. Like with the Bone series.
  • edited August 2006

So if you burnt your pirate copy onto CD - Wouldnt that be the same as buying the CD but without the pesky price tag (to you?) :p
  • edited August 2006

So if you burnt your pirate copy onto CD - Wouldnt that be the same as buying the CD but without the pesky price tag (to you?) :p
    :))
    of course not!
    because if i really would download the game illegally and if i would burn it onto a CD i would just have the blank CD.
    but if i buy the game i have the cover, a cd with some printed text on it and (hopefully) a manual... ;)

~edit~
    forgot to say two things:
    1. but i will BUY sam&max anyway...
    2. when i spoke of a blank cd i thought of Half-Life2 (there was also only a cd in the box, nothing more...). and when i thought of HL2 i thought of steam. and when i thought of steam i thought of another question (finally):
    why don't you release Sam&Max via steam? it's available all over the world - and it's very comfortable...
    :-/
  • edited August 2006
    [opinion]
    Steam sucks.
    [/opinion]
Sign in to comment in this discussion.