Monkey Island Return?

When are we going to have sequel of Monkey island series? I m dying 2 see Haggis Mc Mutton and Young Wally again!

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Considering that's LucasArts' decision to make, probably never. It's kind of amazing Tales happened at all, really.
  • SydSyd
    edited January 2013
    We just don't know. We might see another one someday, or Disney (who now owns Monkey Island due to the LucasFilm buyout not too long ago) might bury the series in a vault to never see the light of day again.
  • edited January 2013
    Thatz Sad! Ron Gilbert should do something! Its My fav game along with Walking Dead!
  • edited January 2013
    Thatz Sad! Ron Gilbert should do something! Its My fav game along with Walking Dead!

Ron Gilbert apparently has plans to contact Disney about the future of Monkey Island. It's unlikely anything will come of it, but at least he's doing something.

Speaking of Ron Gilbert, I'm looking forward to The Cave.
  • edited January 2013
    Cave resembles like maniac mansion!
  • SydSyd
    edited January 2013
    Cave resembles like maniac mansion!

It's a spiritual sequel of sorts, though the basic idea for The Cave had been bouncing around in Ron's head since before Maniac Mansion existed.
  • edited February 2013
    When are we going to have sequel of Monkey island series?

Monkey Island comes in cycles, friend. We know there's a will, so a way will eventually pop up down the line.
  • edited February 2013
    With Disney buying Lucasarts(which could effect the other game series besides Monkey Island) chances are there isn't gonna be a new game anytime soon. Then again, if Ron is trying to convince Disney to make another game. Then anything is possible.
  • edited March 2013
    Leplaya wrote: »
    With Disney buying Lucasarts(which could effect the other game series besides Monkey Island) chances are there isn't gonna be a new game anytime soon. Then again, if Ron is trying to convince Disney to make another game. Then anything is possible.

Disney doesn't keep skeletons in it's closet, it buries them. I came to this section of the forum hoping for some hint a new MI game would come, instead I find this, which makes me say "MI does not fit Disney's kid-friendly image, so it will be locked away and they'll pretend it never happened"

Oh well, ToMI was still good, though I wish it had ended on less of a sequil hook than it did...
  • edited March 2013
    I just wish the series would come back :(. Don't know why they simply wouldn't sell the license or why no one wants to buy it. It's not fair really... my favourite series of all time and this tragic thing happens to it.
  • edited March 2013
    I had a dream, that all the money that DF got from Kickstarter went to obtaining the licence from Disney. I mean, they got pretty much money, and now it's almost all gone. Where's the money gone? :P
  • edited March 2013
    jannar85 wrote: »
    I had a dream, that all the money that DF got from Kickstarter went to obtaining the licence from Disney. I mean, they got pretty much money, and now it's almost all gone. Where's the money gone? :P

Either that or development/production of Cave.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2013
    jannar85 wrote: »
    3 million dollars isn't actually that much when it comes to a video game's budget. Costume Quest and Stacking cost that much to make, and Psychonauts cost more than 4 times that.
  • edited March 2013
    *sing* and the times, they are a-changing....

i'd say kickstarter

but - like wing commander - some stupid, filthy rich company buys the rights to a game series, which is the death of every hope.

good luck with star citizen, chris roberts and others like elite:dangerous. death to EA, death to DISNEY. and - most especially - DEATH to george lucas!

yea i'm not all serious about that death thingie :)
  • edited March 2013
    Ashton wrote: »
    Disney doesn't keep skeletons in it's closet, it buries them. I came to this section of the forum hoping for some hint a new MI game would come, instead I find this, which makes me say "MI does not fit Disney's kid-friendly image, so it will be locked away and they'll pretend it never happened"
    If Disney tries to lock this series in the closest thinking it never existed they have another thing coming. They seem to forget that Monkey Island was INSPIRED by THEIR OWN PIRATE RIDE at their theme parks.

And the pirates film series have a few similar elements that are used from the Monkey Island series. So Disney making a new pirates product while not allowing to greenlight a new Monkey Island game sounds hypocritical if you ask me.
  • edited March 2013
    If Disney tries to lock this series in the closest thinking it never existed they have another thing coming. They seem to forget that Monkey Island was INSPIRED by THEIR OWN PIRATE RIDE at their theme parks.

And the pirates film series have a few similar elements that are used from the Monkey Island series. So Disney making a new pirates product while not allowing to greenlight a new Monkey Island game sounds hypocritical if you ask me.

That would be as hypocritical as not giving the rights to two Sam and Max games to the creator of Sam and Max, who happens to work for Pixar.
  • edited March 2013
    Telltale owns Sam and Max now. They have owned the rights to it when Lucasart's contract with Purcell expired. So they gotta ask Steve to do anything with the dog and rabbit.
  • edited March 2013
    Telltale owns Sam and Max now. They have owned the rights to it when Lucasart's contract with Purcell expired. So they gotta ask Steve to do anything with the dog and rabbit.

Not true. Purcell owns it and lets companies have it for as long as they want but take the franchise back for re-leasing after 5 years of inactivity on the franchise.
  • edited August 2013
    Is there any fan made monkey island game by the way ?
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited August 2013
    There are lots of Monkey Island fan games, most of which are listed here, as well as other fangames based on LucasArts properties.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.