Disney shuttering LucasArts

Just heard this news, and im wondering what will happen to our beloved monkey island franchise!?

Comments

• edited April 2013
    LucasArts still holds onto the licenses apparently, and the name will still be used when they have other companies develop the games, with very slim chance that they'd let go of some of the licenses completely.

Oh god please Telltale, at least try to nab the license and give us ToMI2. I really hold no interest in your last stuff no matter how good they might be and judging by the good reviews you're getting, you might be hesitant to return to your roots and that's very understandable.

But, guys. Please. If there won't be any S&M Season 4, at least ToMI2 will suffice.
  • edited April 2013
    Falanca wrote: »
    LucasArts still holds onto the licenses apparently, and the name will still be used when they have other companies develop the games, with very slim chance that they'd let go of some of the licenses completely.

Oh god please Telltale, at least try to nab the license and give us ToMI2. I really hold no interest in your last stuff no matter how good they might be and judging by the good reviews you're getting, you might be hesitant to return to your roots and that's very understandable.

But, guys. Please. If there won't be any S&M Season 4, at least ToMI2 will suffice.

Agree with this. TWD was good IMO but its way too soon to be doing another sequel. I seen a thread in TWD fourms that said season 2 was coming Fall 2013. TTG, no offence but i think again its too early for a TWD sequel and another reason i'm gonna be disappointed is because most likely we will get a repeat of what happened with TWD Season 1. People complaining about it not being out exactly a month later, People spoiling the game etc. Plus there is a little matter of the open/cliffhanger ending of ToMI :/
  • edited April 2013
    Please... don't let any EA buy Monkey Island to make a pirate RTS... :\
    TT consider to buy the game's license and (finally) put aside that terrible TOMI cliffhanger...
    (or at least let's hope that Ron will do it!)
  • edited April 2013
    Here's the article: http://mashable.com/2013/04/03/disney-closes-lucasarts/. Let's hope TTG is able to license Monkey Island for another round! I'd pay in advance, Kickstarter-style, if I had to.
  • edited April 2013
    You know what'd be also cool?

Double Fine acquiring the license.
  • edited April 2013
    Falanca wrote: »
    You know what'd be also cool?

Double Fine acquiring the license.

Or, y'know, Ron Gilbert.

"I still have hope that I might get the rights to Monkey Island back someday. LucasArts shutting down doesn't change anything since Disney bought them back in Oct. Maybe there will be less of an emotional attachment to it. Who knows. Not me. " (http://grumpygamer.com/4103820#comment)
  • edited April 2013
    ah awesome. well here's hoping that TOMI comes back! i also agree about TWD. awesome game, but monkey island is still the jewel in the TTG crown for me. i guess TWD is so popular right now, it would be crazy for them not to make another so soon. and that cliff hanger is too big to stop making games
  • edited April 2013
    I would only assume that it makes sense that TTG (or even DoubleFine) would make a run for Monkey Island's rights.

Maybe I'm just in the denial stage as well as being naive, but I really do hope that Telltale will get the rights for it and make, at the very least, one more adventure with Guybrush.

I have no doubts that that purchasing it will be stupidly hard (it is, after all, Disney), but still... one can hope.
  • edited April 2013
    I guess this means no Monkey Island sequel from Telltale then? :(
  • edited April 2013
    stupid disney sonsabitches. :K i'll kill them all
  • edited April 2013
    Has Telltales got the license to Monkey Island?....according to this guy who made the now cancelled fan game "Carnival of Monkey Island"

"22 Mar 2013, 11:21 »
    Hello and thank you for your feedback.

At the moment Telltale Games has the license rights of Monkey Island and thats the problem.
    So we have to host this for free like a kind of fanart game. I also didnt think that Telltale generally sells
    licenses to other producers.
    « Last Edit: 10 Apr 2013, 19:38 by MacGuffin »"

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=47846.0
  • edited April 2013
    I think he was mistaken when he wrote Telltale... or else we could really expect a Tales of Monkey Island 2 soon.

But my hopes aren't much high.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.