1,000 Wii Points???

I was really interested on getting the Wii version, expecting a price similar to the one on PC, but $50 vs. $35 for the whole season? You guys are making it difficult to lean in favor of the Wii.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Yeah, I was a bit surprised by that myself, but I was already leaning toward the PC version. I really want the bonus disc at the end of the season, and I highly doubt that Wii owners will receive that.
  • edited August 2008
    I don't really feel like sitting in front of my computer on an uncomfortable chair for the long hours I play SBCG4AP. I'll pay any price for this awesomeness.
  • edited August 2008
    mhaley wrote: »
    Yeah, I was a bit surprised by that myself, but I was already leaning toward the PC version. I really want the bonus disc at the end of the season, and I highly doubt that Wii owners will receive that.

Telltale never said that Wii wouldn't get one.... why does everyone blindly assume it wont.....
  • edited August 2008
    InfamousDS wrote: »
    Telltale never said that Wii wouldn't get one.... why does everyone blindly assume it wont.....
    Telltale doesn't control the system in place on the Wii, so it's a safe enough bet. To be clear, I'm talking about the FREE bonus disc.
  • edited August 2008
    mhaley wrote: »
    Telltale doesn't control the system in place on the Wii, so it's a safe enough bet.

But a product as a reward for purchase is controlled by them, as long as adequate proof can be shown that the person actually bought the whole season. And anyway, it isn't like the disc has to be made for Wii. IIRC, the Sam And Max bonus was a DVD, perfectly suitable for DVD players and PCs. Buying it on Wii doesn't mean the person doesn't own a PC. It just means they prefer Wii.
  • edited August 2008
    I'd gladly pay 15 extra dollars if it means that I can have strongbad on my wii! And also, it's not like you're paying 15 dollars up front for the wii version! It's just 3 bucks per episode spread out through a period of five months, so if moneys the actual problem then you have a month to find 3 dollars somewhere! Totally worth it!
  • edited August 2008
    But a product as a reward for purchase is controlled by them, as long as adequate proof can be shown that the person actually bought the whole season. And anyway, it isn't like the disc has to be made for Wii. IIRC, the Sam And Max bonus was a DVD, perfectly suitable for DVD players and PCs. Buying it on Wii doesn't mean the person doesn't own a PC. It just means they prefer Wii.
    I didn't realize that I started an argument. Wow. Anyway, this seems like speculation until someone from Telltale confirms it. Personally, I will be buying the PC version regardless. It's cheaper, and I'm at my PC more often than my Nintendo Wii.
  • edited August 2008
    Well, this may be completely wrong, but it appears that the game was designed specifically with the Wii and it's hardware in mind, with the PC versions being an alternative for those who don't own a Wii. I'm just basing this on the trailers and press releases though, so I may be completely wrong.
  • edited August 2008
    Where's the jumping to conclusions mat when you need it?
  • edited August 2008
    Okay, I'm just going to say why I think that the Wii version will not have a bonus disc. However, yes, this is just assuming. Jumping to conclusions, you might say.

- PC DVD games do not have to be checked by anyone (for example, Nintendo Seal of Approval or rating systems).
    - PC DVD games are much cheaper and quicker to produce in comparison.
    - Wii owners would not get a bonus disc for the PC version free, because that's basically saying that everyone who purchased the PC version can have the WiiWare version for free - it doesn't make sense, they are different.

This post will probably be a mess when I re-read it in the morning.
    Please don't start a flame war over this subject... rejoice that the game is out soon!
    *hovers over submit reply*
  • edited August 2008
    fco. wrote: »
    I was really interested on getting the Wii version, expecting a price similar to the one on PC, but $50 vs. $35 for the whole season? You guys are making it difficult to lean in favor of the Wii.
    Especially if you live in Europe ($34.95 vs. £35/€50 [$70/$79.50]). I wouldn't mind if the WiiWare version was a couple of quid more than the PC version, but double the price is a bit steep for me.

Still though, I've already bought the points for Homestar Ruiner, so I'll probably buy that on WiiWare (after clearing a lot of space, I currently have 13 blocks left), then purchase the entire season on PC.
  • edited August 2008
    Okay, I'm just going to say why I think that the Wii version will not have a bonus disc. However, yes, this is just assuming. Jumping to conclusions, you might say.

- PC DVD games do not have to be checked by anyone (for example, Nintendo Seal of Approval or rating systems).
    - PC DVD games are much cheaper and quicker to produce in comparison.
    - Wii owners would not get a bonus disc for the PC version free, because that's basically saying that everyone who purchased the PC version can have the WiiWare version for free - it doesn't make sense, they are different.

This post will probably be a mess when I re-read it in the morning.
    Please don't start a flame war over this subject... rejoice that the game is out soon!
    *hovers over submit reply*

Telltale actually said that the games are "100% identical except the Wiiconnect 24 features". As such, a PC DVD would not infringe upon PC owners in any way. Getting a free bonus disc does not mean a free WiiWare edition, especially since I would say 100% of PC buyers get the game for $15 cheaper. Lastly, the bonus disc does not have to be a Wii DVD (as I have already said), buying the Wii edition does not mean that person does not own a PC.

Edit: I would just like to add something that also helps my argument about Wii getting a disc, if one is made. The only reason that Telltale even released the game for PC was so that longtime S&M fans or people that do not own Wiis could have access to the game. Do you honestly think the people who made that decision would willingly turn their back on the console the game was designed around, just so they have the opportunity to work hard and make a disc for only certain people that isn't even necessary and is just a bonus for buying all the games in the season? I really do not think so.
  • edited August 2008
    Telltale actually said that the games are "100% identical except the Wiiconnect 24 features". As such, a PC DVD would not infringe upon PC owners in any way. Getting a free bonus disc does not mean a free WiiWare edition, especially since I would say 100% of PC buyers get the game for $15 cheaper. Lastly, the bonus disc does not have to be a Wii DVD (as I have already said), buying the Wii edition does not mean that person does not own a PC.

Edit: I would just like to add something that also helps my argument about Wii getting a disc, if one is made. The only reason that Telltale even released the game for PC was so that longtime S&M fans or people that do not own Wiis could have access to the game. Do you honestly think the people who made that decision would willingly turn their back on the console the game was designed around, just so they have the opportunity to work hard and make a disc that isn't even necessary and is just a bonus for buying all the games? I really do not think so.

Jumping to conclusions follows right after this line break.

WiiWare and PC are two completely different platforms. Why should people on WiiWare get the exact same game on PC for free, when lots of development time went into that version? I'm finding it hard to explain and get my point across here... I mean, if people want a game disc for the PC so much, they can just buy the flippin' PC version?! I'd happily pay $15 extra to get all the games on WiiWare too, but WiiWare is not my kind of thing.

Woah, woah, woah. I'm pretty sure Telltale knew right from the start that this game would be made for the PC, and not just as some little gift to S&M fans or non-Wii owners. You make it sound as if Telltale said "oh yeah, I suppose we better make it for the PC as well", and that making the game for the PC took no effort at all, which is kind of insulting to TT. I'm guessing it was more of a "hey, it'd be cool to bring this out on WiiWare too" decision. The game was not designed around the WiiWare, the game was developed on both platforms simultaneously and using the same engine. Not only is the bonus disc a treat for buyers, but it is an incentive for people who are new to this whole no game box lark to feel comfortable and order the game.
  • edited August 2008
    Telltale did all major developing on WiiWare to fit the deadline, and then engineered all the changes into the PC game. All the advertisements point out the Wii as the primary console, with PC in the add just so fans would know they didn't need a Wii to play. All evidence suggest it is a Wii game that also is out on PC, and not a PC game that was put on Wii because it was a new technology.
  • edited August 2008
    Telltale did all major developing on WiiWare to fit the deadline, and then engineered all the changes into the PC game. All the advertisements point out the Wii as the primary console, with PC in the add just so fans would know they didn't need a Wii to play. All evidence suggest it is a Wii game that also is out on PC, and not a PC game that was put on Wii because it was a new technology.

Both versions of the game were developed side-by-side at the exact same time. Telltale's main release platform is the PC, as that is where they have built their fanbase around with franchise such as Texas Hold'Em, Bone, CSI and Sam & Max. They are hardly going to ditch their PC players. All evidence suggests that this is a game that is coming out for Wii and PC - no 'also'.
  • edited August 2008
    Do we really have to argue over different versions of the same game? Alright, so the Wii one's $15 more than the PC version. Okay, that's nice. Does it really matter which one's better? It's the same game. The decision to buy it on a certain platform will be different for everybody, I personally want to play it on Wii, because I find it more accessible. Someone else may feel the exact opposite. Let's just enjoy the fact that the game is soon to be out, and enjoyed by both Wii and PC users.
  • edited August 2008
    BadStrong wrote: »
    Do we really have to argue over different versions of the same game?...

Have you been on this forum before? ;)
  • edited August 2008
    Both versions of the game were developed side-by-side at the exact same time. Telltale's main release platform is the PC, as that is where they have built their fanbase around with franchise such as Texas Hold'Em, Bone, CSI and Sam & Max. They are hardly going to ditch their PC players.

That is not what I read, straight from the Horse's mouth. They said that in order to meet Nintendo's deadline, they had to develop on the WiiWare first and then put everything into the PC game that was added to the Wii version. I already said that they put it on PC just for fans, what makes you saying it any better?

It saddens me that someone who already is getting a much bigger break compared to Wii is selfishly claiming a disc that Telltale hasn't even announced was gonna be released. What you are saying is that Wii owners do not even deserve the same incentives to buy as what PC buyers are supposedly getting.
  • edited August 2008
    Wasn't everyone expecting the Wii version to be a bit higher? And anyway often when you have cross-platform releases, the PC version of a game is $30 while the console versions are $50. This is pretty much in line with that. I'm sure there are a bunch of boring reasons for why the Nintendo version is a bit higher, but we do have a choice.
  • edited August 2008
    I'd buy it for the Wii. Most good disk games for it are about 50 bucks. From what I see, Homestar Ruiner x 5 ≈ more then your advrage Wii game. And the month long span to get more points? I'm fine with that. Although, none of my computers can efishintly play 3D games, so... Wii for Mii!!! :D
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    Whew! Great to see that the community will always find something to debate. :D A few answers to the questions that have been raised here...

It's true the Wii version is slightly more expensive. Console games tend to cost a little more than PC games, plus there are a few WiiWare specific features (WiiConnect24, sending emails via the Lappy). WiiWare doesn't support a subscription model, which is why only individual episodes are going to be available through WiiWare.

Regarding the bonus disc, only people who buy the full season of the PC version through Telltale's store are eligible for the disc. (WiiWare is an all-digital channel and no WiiWare games offer disc options.) This is exact the same deal we've been doing through our store starting with Sam & Max Season One.

The Wii version is excellent and I hope those of you who love playing games on your Wii will check it out. Wii owners are probably used to console games being a little more expensive than PC games, and for that little bit of extra money you get a very different experience. Nothing beats hanging out in the living room playing a game like this with a group of friends, and that's exactly what we hope will happen!
  • edited August 2008
    I hate my country. each episode for the wii would cost me 18 dollars. that means the whole season will cost me 95 dollars. at the current rate of exchange it would cost me 48.21 dollars for the pc version. 95 dollars is the cost of most full wii games however, so i guess it all works out. however in my moneys 50 american dollars would be 68 dollars! Im going to pack my bags now. see you all in san francisco.
    *puts on coat and bowler hat and walks into sunset*
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    I'll buy that bowler hat from you for $18...
  • edited August 2008
    my dollars or your dollars? This is why it sucks to live in a country with a economy based on exporting. However i love telltale and homestar runner and i love my wii WAY more than my pc, so ill still be getting it ;)
  • edited August 2008
    1000 sounds great, with all the overpriced junk on WiiWare for 10$, sounds like a great price.
    I'll be getting the WiiWare version, since I don't need to worry about requirements, set ups, ect.
    I'm getting it the first day, go telltale! :D
  • edited August 2008
    hmm if 10USD=1000 wii points, that must mean a mark up of 5 of my dollars in this country. i suspect treachery...
  • edited August 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    I'll buy that bowler hat from you for $18...

Hahaha... that's the second greatest thing I've read all day! :)
  • edited August 2008
    bigdondoo wrote: »
    Hahaha... that's the second greatest thing I've read all day! :)

What was the first?
  • edited August 2008
    Whew! Great to see that the community will always find something to debate. :D A few answers to the questions that have been raised here...

It's true the Wii version is slightly more expensive. Console games tend to cost a little more than PC games, plus there are a few WiiWare specific features (WiiConnect24, sending emails via the Lappy). WiiWare doesn't support a subscription model, which is why only individual episodes are going to be available through WiiWare.

Regarding the bonus disc, only people who buy the full season of the PC version through Telltale's store are eligible for the disc. (WiiWare is an all-digital channel and no WiiWare games offer disc options.) This is exact the same deal we've been doing through our store starting with Sam & Max Season One.

The Wii version is excellent and I hope those of you who love playing games on your Wii will check it out. Wii owners are probably used to console games being a little more expensive than PC games, and for that little bit of extra money you get a very different experience. Nothing beats hanging out in the living room playing a game like this with a group of friends, and that's exactly what we hope will happen!

hmm... I guess I'll wait for the demo (you guys are releasing a demo, right?) to see how well the game plays on PC. If I then feel like "oh this thing would be much better on Wii", then I'll go for the that version.
  • edited August 2008

Hmmmmm..... I want it for wii SOOOO bad, but a bonus disk would be nice..........................forget it, im goin with the wii!:D
  • edited August 2008
    Kinda ticked 'cause when I read the strong bad page before the forums, I was excited 'cause I sawthe $35 for the season, so I automatically assumed it was $7 per episode on Wiiware too. Plus, I only have 1600 wii points left. Aw well:rolleyes:, I've stuck with Wii this long... GO WIIWARE STRONG BAD!:D
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    fco. wrote: »
    hmm... I guess I'll wait for the demo (you guys are releasing a demo, right?) to see how well the game plays on PC. If I then feel like "oh this thing would be much better on Wii", then I'll go for the that version.

Yep, all PC releases (so far) have had a demo. This one shall be the same.
  • edited August 2008
    There'll be a demo? I'm-a gunna have to tell my friend... when's it comming out?
  • edited August 2008
    Hey, now that you have all the info on this game, would it be alright to ask how many blocks it'll be?
    Need to make room.
  • Meh, I don't mind that it's 1000 points... Thanks god I didn't get convinced by my cousin to gift Paper Mario for her, or I'd be broke.

Anyways, nice pricing, awesome game!
  • edited August 2008
    I'd be ok with five Strong Bad's on my menu... but if there's another season, a problem will come...
  • edited August 2008
    you know you can delete an episode to make room for another and redownload it later for free right?
  • edited August 2008
    ... or offload it to an SD card for storage.
  • edited August 2008
    What was the first?

This! :)
  • edited August 2008
    I'm screwed. I only have 500 points left because when I first heard about SBCG4AP, I was expecting it to be 500. I never heard of Telltale before this nor have I ever played a Sam & Max game before this. I feel kind stupid for buying My Life as a King... A rip-off that game was...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.