Will Quality Suffer?

edited June 2013 in The Wolf Among Us
With Telltale's pre-occupation with The Walking Dead (both 400 Days & Season 2), is anyone else worried that The Wolf Among Us will suffer in terms of quality as a result?

Both are set to be released at the same time - Q3 2013 (according to Wikipedia).

The thing about TWD is that Telltale knows it is going to sell well...

Thoughts?

Also: First Post.
I've lurked here for quite a while...

Comments

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited June 2013
    I think Wolf Among Us has had more time in the oven from the sound of it, and all the previews indicate Telltale is making lots of positive changes to The Walking Dead formula for Wolf Among Us so I wouldn't think quality will suffer. However, it does seem as if Telltale has been neglecting the game for Walking Dead 400 Days (and likely Season 2 soon as well) in terms of exposure.
  • edited June 2013
    I think Wolf Among Us has had more time in the oven from the sound of it, and all the previews indicate Telltale is making lots of positive changes to The Walking Dead formula for Wolf Among Us so I wouldn't think quality will suffer. However, it does seem as if Telltale has been neglecting the game for Walking Dead 400 Days (and likely Season 2 soon as well) in terms of exposure.

Yeah, I read an article on Rock, Paper, Shotgun and saw the new Screens.

It looks and sounds great - I'm more pumped for The Wolf than anything else, and I'm getting into the Comics beforehand.

Telltale seem to have found their place making Game adaptations of Comics - I just hope they don't become "The Walking Dead Company"...
  • edited June 2013
    There's over a 100 people working at Telltale these days. That's more that enough to work on a couple of projects at once.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Don't believe the wikipedia in Telltale matters. Never, ever. :o

TWaU Summer, TWD Fall. Both dates are not set in stone, I believe.

First of all - for every game TTG has made, they have pushed their engine further. They did it for TWD, and they obviously did it for TWaU. Anything else would not make sense - as, of course, The Walking Dead Season 2 will profit from exactly those tweaks made for TWaU.

Second, 'the Fables game' has been in development for more than two years now. Bringing the Season out to players and setting the mind wracking 'episodic' release schedule in motion, that's all based on the solid ground of two years' work.

Third, the mere quantity of work Telltale needs to put into their episodes is pretty calculable. The time frame of TWD was not killed because they were working 'on other things' - in my opinion, the aim to achieve almost simultaneous multi platform releases for the first time in company history (and, I might add, in the history of episodic gaming) was the prime factor for those delays. So, if Telltale says they can do simultaneous releases, I trust them that they can. If they can not - and I'm still firmly in the boat of believers that they in fact will not be able to - they will make the only possible decision, which is to delay TWD Season 2.

Fourth, if you define 'quality' by the flexibility of the choice mechanics, we can already assume that TWaU will be vastly superior to TWD, judging from the first looks.

And, fifth... all that notion that Telltale would sacrifice everything else for their new flagship because it supposedly makes most money... I don't see it. You can like the setting and gameplay of The Walking Dead or not, it was certainly a game made with creativity and with passion for the franchise. Telltale was always about picking up new franchises, and every new franchise generated new creativity and passion. As TWaU undoubtedly did. It will not be something half baked.
  • edited June 2013
    A game's quality in my opinion is shown in its:
    - Plot
    - Themes
    - Gameplay
    - Voice Acting
    - Soundtrack
    - Visuals

So judging by the previews we know the plot, themes, gameplay (apparently - we haven't seen a video yet but have heard it described), and visuals are ample.

Just concerned it won't get enough polish.

Also I cross-checked the release date with other sources and around Q3 '13 does seem to be the time Telltale is gunning for...
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited June 2013
    The Law wrote: »
    A game's quality in my opinion is shown in its:
    - Plot
    - Themes
    - Gameplay
    - Voice Acting
    - Soundtrack
    - Visuals
    You don't ever have to worry about soundtracks and voice acting in Telltale's games because they are handled by Bay Area sound, who always do exeptional work. :)
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2013
    The Law wrote: »
    Also: First Post.
    I've lurked here for quite a while...

Welcome!
    Jennifer wrote: »
    You don't ever have to worry about soundtracks and voice acting in Telltale's games because they are handled by Bay Area sound, who always do exeptional work. :)

Just to clarify: we record voice at Bay Area Sound, but the actors are cast by the team here, and the episode director goes out to the recording studio to make sure they're getting the reads they want for each line (and obviously they control what eventually makes it into the game).

Interesting side note... I know this isn't normally what people mean when they talk about "soundtrack", but we have a couple of dedicated in-house guys who do sound design (as in sound effects, ambient noise etc). I never really thought that much about sound in games until I sat in on a couple of interviews with these guys, like this one for The Gameological Society. Really opened my eyes (er, ears?) to how much effort goes into stuff that you don't even consciously register.
  • edited June 2013
    LIke every developer, the quality of their games depend on how much resources, freedom, and guidance they receive from the originators.

For example, I wouldn't exactly call their CSI and Law and Orders award-winning, but they weren't supposed to be. Not saying they were bad, but they are what they are.

On the other hand, it's clear that TWD and TWAU clearly receive a lot more support and freedom from the originators. And with that given support AND freedom, they are expectations. This isn't explicitly stated, but it's assumed.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.