Please finish the Bone games.

edited December 2009 in Bone
You really should make the rest of the Bone games. It doesn't seem fair for you to just stop in the middle of the story. Is there any chance that, when the Bone movie is released, you will start making more Bone games? I really like the comics and I probably would have bought the games instead of Sam & Max if there were plans to finish the series.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Telltale has repeatedly stated that there are currently no plans to continue making Bone games. This may change in the future, but it's not being done right now.
  • edited August 2008
    Plus, they've still got alot on their hands.

Strong Bad, Sam and Max Season Three, Wallace and Gromit....
  • edited August 2008
    I know all that, but it doesn't stop me from asking. :D
  • edited August 2008
    I don't like it when companies start an episodic series and then cancel it after people have bought the first episodes either.. but I don't blame Telltale for this. They were a starting up company and obviously they needed to do what was the most profitable at that point. Also, the Bone series wasn't really all that good.. I think Sam & Max is a *much* better series. So as long as they don't start more episodic series and then cancel them just a few episodes in, I don't mind.. and I really doubt they'll do that.
  • edited August 2008
    Maybe they only planned on 2 games?
  • edited August 2008
    What do you think would have to happen in order for Telltale to make the rest of the Bone books into games?
  • edited August 2008
    Sinker182 wrote: »
    What do you think would have to happen in order for Telltale to make the rest of the Bone books into games?

More sales for the first two games, I suppose?
  • edited August 2008
    I'm hoping that at some point they will return to finish the series.

I've only played the demos of both and just as with Sam'n Max games, I will buy them when the whole series is done. :)

Has there been done more colorized versions of the comic book albums? If so, Telltale should sell those in the webstore just like the first two albums are there.
  • edited August 2008
    They've been done up to 7 or 8. I don't see why Telltale should sell them, as they don't have games for them and they're available at Amazon or just about any book retailer. No, seriously, go to your local bookstore, they'll be with the YA/Children's books.
  • edited August 2008
    Yeah, I bought both Bone games and I love them! I'm can't wait to play the next one... It would be very very disappointing if the series would be cancelled :(
  • edited August 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    They've been done up to 7 or 8. I don't see why Telltale should sell them, as they don't have games for them and they're available at Amazon or just about any book retailer. No, seriously, go to your local bookstore, they'll be with the YA/Children's books.

I just meant that would give at least some hope for the future of the game episodes if they started selling other books than 1 and 2. :)

And I can say that most likely I can't buy them from a book retailer as I live in Finland, we don't have that large collections of english books/albums for sale.

Of course they can be bought from the net elsewhere.
  • edited August 2008
    Kolzig wrote: »
    I just meant that would give at least some hope for the future of the game episodes if they started selling other books than 1 and 2. :)

And I can say that most likely I can't buy them from a book retailer as I live in Finland, we don't have that large collections of english books/albums for sale.

Of course they can be bought from the net elsewhere.

Sadly, they're kinda giving us the opposite of hope. The third book used to be in the store with a description like "Read the book we haven’t made a game out of yet". On the front page of the site under the second game, "Coming Soon" used to be listed. Now, Bone is no longer even listed on the front page and you almost have to look for it in the store. Furthermore, earlier in the year when they were moving the old games over to the new activation system, they made a big deal for Sam and Max, and even Telltale Texas Hold 'em being converted over. But with Bone (which was converted between Sam and Max and TTH) there was only an email and no mention of it made on the site. It seems like they would have taken that opportunity to remind visitors of the site that the Bone games existed and could have potentially sold a few more copies by simply announcing it, but they didn’t. Besides that, TT has stated in numerous posts that Bone is on hold indefinitely. I think the chances of a third game being made are almost non existent.
  • edited August 2008
    Yeah it's too bad that the situation is as unknown as it is.

I wonder what Jeff Smith thinks of all this?
    The key to everything is always the sales, you can't just make a game without expecting good sales.

If the Bone games didn't sell well enough, then this series is pretty much buried.
  • edited August 2008
    When the Bone games first came out Telltale was saying things like that the Bone games were selling well, and that they were "where we wanted to be."

The very different release structure of the Bone games compared to the others probably has as much to do with the fact that the games aren't being made anymore.
  • edited August 2008
    Well with the new movie deal, it may be revisited if the series gains new popularity.
  • edited August 2008
    Just finished Out from Boneville. Loved it, and I'm downloading The Great Cow Race as we speak. I hope they make more, because they're pretty good. Not as good as Sam and Max, but still pretty good. As good as Strong Bad I guess. Telltale please give us more! Please!
  • edited August 2008
    I just wish they would make one last game to wrap it up.
  • edited August 2008
    Except that wouldn't even work because Bone is a 9-part preexisting story. You can't just cram 7 books into one game and call it a day.
  • edited August 2008
    My hope is that the new people who come for Strongbad and Wallace and Gromit download the games and give them a chance, then buy them so that maybe Telltale will continue the series. I think they should make SOME mention of Bone on the main page rather than having it buried in the store though. It could only help sell copies, even if just a few, and there is plenty of whitespace as it is, so there is room.
  • edited September 2008
    I think they should put it on WiiWare.
  • edited September 2008
    I don't think the episodes should be put on the Wii, my guess is that it will cause a lot of confusion as they will expect future episodes. So I would not recommend putting these two episodes on there unless there will be more episodes in the not very distant future (which is very unlikely from the sound of it).
  • edited September 2008
    Armakuni wrote: »
    I don't think the episodes should be put on the Wii, my guess is that it will cause a lot of confusion as they will expect future episodes. So I would not recommend putting these two episodes on there unless there will be more episodes in the not very distant future (which is very unlikely from the sound of it).

I meant that they should continue the series on WiiWare. And PC, of course.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.
  • edited October 2008
    Why don't they put the two games they curenntly have and put it on Wii? Hello? Point and click? I think the Wii would work very well for that kind of stuff. I'm gonna request that personally
  • edited October 2008
    They probably would do pretty well on Wii. The Great Cow Race is longer than either of the Strng Bad episodes so far (and arguably better) and Out From Boneville, though short, is probably still longer than either SB episode. They do have a more polished look to them and a charm that would probably do really well with the Wii audience. Possibly even well enough to revive the series. Sadly, as I've said earlier in this thread, TT seems to have no desire at all to sell these games as they make absolutley no effort whatsoever to do so (even when given a good excuse like when they relased the new versions earlier this year). Any newcomers to the site would have no idea that they even exist unless they spot them burried in the store.
  • edited October 2008
    ;)
    Armakuni wrote: »

Be patient! Don't let that bother you! Let's just hear what Telltale has to say! OK?
  • edited October 2008
    if telltale doesnt make eyes of the storm soon, im goin ta sic ma big brother on them! thas wat theys git fer messin wit ted!
  • edited October 2008
    So, Emily what do YOU think. You think Bone would work well on Wii?
  • edited October 2008
    Come On TellTale Make It Make It I Be Waiting SO Long come On
  • edited October 2008
    Just making "Eyes of the Storm" would shut me up for a good two years.
  • edited December 2008
    Tandy 400 wrote: »
    Maybe they only planned on 2 games?

Yes, but then what about the dragon? Why were the rat creatures out to get the Bones? Will Thorn respond favourably to Fone Bone's romantic advances? What is it with grandma and the dragon? There are many unanswered questions.

It would be nice to have a third Bone game - or at least an ending to the story somehow, even if it is just in a comic book or a film.
  • edited December 2008
    meretchen wrote: »
    Yes, but then what about the dragon? Why were the rat creatures out to get the Bones? Will Thorn respond favourably to Fone Bone's romantic advances? What is it with grandma and the dragon? There are many unanswered questions.

It would be nice to have a third Bone game - or at least an ending to the story somehow, even if it is just in a comic book or a film.

You could always read the original comics...
  • edited December 2008
    Maybe we prefer video-games to reading?
    Not me but I don't like buying "things" online, don't mind a download but actual stuff seems too risky too me, don't have a good experience with online buying.
  • edited December 2008
    Didn't Max outlaw reading?...
  • edited December 2008
    Well, now that SBCG4AP is done, maybe the team will have enough time to go back and do the next game. Oh, wait, they still have Wallace and Grommit to do, and probably the new season of Sam and Max. Nevermind, then.
  • edited December 2008
    Didn't Max outlaw reading?...

Im living in Ireland so Max has no control over me!
  • edited December 2008
    Not me but I don't like buying "things" online, don't mind a download but actual stuff seems too risky too me, don't have a good experience with online buying.

Can you not buy them at a bookstore? They're all over the place here in Canada. (By the way, I'm assuming that you were talking about buying the Bone Comics online.)
  • edited January 2009

There in every major bookstore I've been to and even school bookfairs.:)
  • edited February 2009
    Telltale has improved so much over time, if they went back to make even one closing episode (and maybe improve the first two in some ways) I'm sure it'd sell well and everyone would be happy that it's not an unfinished series just lying about.

Of course, it's still up to TTG. I'll support these guys no matter what. :)
  • edited March 2009
    ..it's possible...it's possible..
  • edited March 2009
    A single episode would be a pretty weird way to wrap up the series, when the first two are based on two out of nine books. Granted, a book per game is not necessarily how they should continue to do it (and in fact, they stated that they would not do it that way back when additional Bone games were treated like near-future projects), but there's still a good 75-80% of the story left to tell. Seems like an awful lot to cram into a single episode, unless it's going to be a giant, feature-length game that they'll retroactively label the first two games as a "prologue" to.

I see three options regarding how they can handle Bone (aside from abandoning it), should Telltale ever see the endeavor as feasible from a financial and scheduling standpoint:

1) Continue the story in the form of sparsely released, not-publicly-scheduled episodes that are similar in terms of length and format to the first two games. I personally like this idea, but obviously have no knowledge of the type of internal issues it would introduce (though I'm guessing it isn't any less than would stem out of returning to Bone at all after this long of a moratorium). The benefit of this is that they don't have to change the format of the series midway through the story. Bone is on an extremely different episodic model than what Telltale adopted for all subsequent projects, and it's basically been said that this is because the company was still trying to figure out what they were doing, but I also argue that there are story-related reasons for keeping Bone on a "mini series" structure as opposed to a "sitcom" structure (Telltale's terms). I could live with, say, yearly releases of new Bone episodes if that's the only way Telltale can get the story finished without screwing up all their other projects. Since Telltale evidently has a hard time finding room for Bone amidst the seasonal productions and since the Bone story ends when it ends, dragging out the series into an annual or semi-annual (the original idea for it anyway, I think) thing does make some sense. Since the Bone team is said to have become the Sam & Max/Strong Bad team, Bone episodes could, say, be a project that is tackled between Sam & Max seasons. This biggest obstacle this idea would face would be from a marketing standpoint - having to remind the world of the series' existence every time a new episode comes out. Still, the idea of there being an "annual installment of the epic Bone adaption" doesn't seem utterly preposterous to me.

2) Continue the story in the form of a scheduled season a la the other series. This could work, but would be tricky to pull off. Would the first two episodes comprise the first two episodes of the "season," which would otherwise be handled like Sam & Max/Strong Bad/W&G? If, for example, the series turned out to be six episodes, would the first two just be a free third of the season, or at least free to those who had already bought them, and the season a customer would purchase would just be Episodes 3-6? It could conceivably work with some creativity and the proper education of the populace, but there would be a lot of confusion to address. There's also the issue of storytelling - the first two Bone games are a lot less self-contained than most other Telltale episodes, ending on major cliffhangers. Would Telltale continue to do that within a seasonal type approach? (Granted, there's nothing saying they can't.) I would also have pointed out the matter of episode length consistency (under the assumption that a "seasonal" continuation would mean shorter episodes as a trade off for higher release frequency), but frankly the Strong Bad episodes and the latest Sam & Max episodes have been pretty on-par with the length of Cow Race, so that's really not an issue anymore.

3) Start all over, and call the first two episodes failed experiments or "Bone specials" or something. I would highly dislike this, but it's probably the easiest thing to do from a marketing perspective and eliminates the issue of stylistic/tonal/length/tech continuity that would probably be a factor thanks to the gap between Cow Race and any third episode. There's also the fact that the team hasn't worked on a Bone game in three years. It may or may not be easier for them to start anew than try to continue something that was abandoned three years ago. There's also the benefit of being able to improve the adaptations thanks to experience and better tech. I'm pretty happy with the first two Bone games, but some things that were cut, like the winter season in the valley, probably wouldn't have to be cut at 2009 era Telltale. Of course, they could also, as has been suggested, update the first two games before starting on a third. With the Director's Cuts they already did that kind of revisionism.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.