Destructoid article on The Wolf Among Us

Thought I'd share this article from Destructoid.

It talks about how the ending isn't set in stone, and how the team want to make the game appeal to people. Thought it'd be interesting.

Comments

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Intriguing. I wouldn't be concerned as I know this isn't the first time that Telltale changed their ending during/near the game's release as unused voice files in the season finale of Sam and Max: Devil's Playhouse indicate the episode was originally planned to have an entirely different direction, but nevertheless I look forward to seeing how this all plays out. I'm surprised they don't have a concrete ending though since they have worked on the game much longer than their other titles.
  • edited August 2013
    The Walking Dead had appealed to a percentage of people who hadn't even heard of the comics or TV show. Still, this does make me wonder how it'll appeal to people who haven't read the Fables comics...I'm sure most of the people will have read some Aesop's fables or classic storybooks in their youth, and that might connect with those players here.
  • edited August 2013
    I have read all of Aesops fables a lot of classic storybooks, just Fables, I am still going to like it.
  • edited August 2013
    Just hope it won't be as gritty as I think it will be. I get easily disturbed so I'm hoping that it won't detract from my experience. And I REALLY want to play this game.
    I don't mind Walking Dead level of darkness though.
  • edited August 2013
    I do believe Walking Dead level of darkness is pretty high up there, but I am hyped for this game.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2013
    It makes sense for Telltale to hold that flag up high right now. I have decreasingly believed in the idea that forum feedback would influence the episodes. When Telltale started to release the console episodes simultaneously with the PC ones, it was only logical to assume that half of the 'monthly' release time was now taken away by Microsoft/Sonys certification process. Back in 2010, when PC episodes were worked on until the very last minute, it sounded far more believable to me that spontaneous player feedback could actually have an influence on the very next episode.

Still, what was rather visible i.e. in the Walking Dead was that fan favorite characters were focused on more during the entire run of the Season. I can imagine something similar happening in TWaU. Then again, the Walking Dead had an exceptionally long run for Telltale, giving them ample time to handle fan feedback. In any case, The Wolf among Us should aim for actual monthly releases again.

The 'ending' however, specifically that might not be the thing players/fans should have influence over, because they usually don't understand what makes a good story. :o Particularly if it's a detective story, you can't just swap murderers at the end. If clues don't converge on a single, specific person eventually and the perpetrator is just decided by a roll of a dice, it doesn't make for a particularly good whodunit. That's not how I interpret the words from the destructoid interview though - I'd rather believe the murderer is set in stone, but they're not sure with what personal/psychological scars they'd like Bigby and others to leave the scene.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2013
    Intriguing. I wouldn't be concerned as I know this isn't the first time that Telltale changed their ending during/near the game's release as unused voice files in the season finale of Sam and Max: Devil's Playhouse indicate the episode was originally planned to have an entirely different direction, but nevertheless I look forward to seeing how this all plays out. I'm surprised they don't have a concrete ending though since they have worked on the game much longer than their other titles.

I don't remember a different ending to Devil's Playhouse in the cut dialog. What do you recall?
  • Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Maybe I misinterpreted it a little too far but I recall hearing a monologue from the Narrator about Max's death with dialogue and tone that implied (perhaps just to me)
    there was a time where the narrator truly was just a narrator and was actually not the true villain. It also sounded as if that Max died from a different cause that the player caused instead of the missile from the Maimtron. Maybe I'm fuzzy on recalling what specifically set me off about the dialogue but I got the impression that the ending was going to turn out much differently, perhaps even going into the "it was all a dream/movie" direction instead of using time traveling Max as a way to have Max back.

EDIT: Used spoiler tags.
  • edited August 2013
    Maybe I misinterpreted it a little too far but I recall hearing a monologue from the Narrator about Max's death with dialogue and tone that implied (perhaps just to me) there was a time where the narrator truly was just a narrator and was actually not the true villain. It also sounded as if that Max died from a different cause that the player caused instead of the missile from the Maimtron. Maybe I'm fuzzy on recalling what specifically set me off about the dialogue but I got the impression that the ending was going to turn out much differently, perhaps even going into the "it was all a dream/movie" direction instead of using time traveling Max as a way to have Max back.

I think the narrator was the villain from the beginning of the project. I remember someone (Jake?) saying something like "we focused the whole project thinking at the moment when
    Sam finds the Narrator
    ".

Btw I suggest to use spoilers tag when talking about endings.... ;)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2013
    Yeah I would have to hear that dialog myself to try and remember (or Chuck), but
    the narrator
    was always the bad of the season, and as Bloody Eugene said, it was something we were super excited about seeing on screen during all of production. I remember The City That Dares Not Sleep had a pickup session but I don't remember it being substantial.
  • edited August 2013
    Jake wrote: »
    Yeah I would have to hear that dialog myself to try and remember (or Chuck), but
    the narrator
    was always the bad of the season, and as Bloody Eugene said, it was something we were super excited about seeing on screen during all of production. I remember The City That Dares Not Sleep had a pickup session but I don't remember it being substantial.

Last I remember, I had posted a couple of lines along the lines of "the spirit of Sam and Max will never die" and suchlike. I do distinctly remember "a freeform jazz odyssey" being mentioned as well. I think you said these weren't part of the game proper, though. Sorry if this is drifting too far off-topic!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.