Why I think Fables will cost more than TWD

fusedmassfusedmass Banned
edited September 2013 in The Wolf Among Us

With larger success, comes more leverage. The more customers, the more you can raise the price. For now, Tell Tale Games have been very cheap and cost effective compared to the 60 dollars the PS3 and Xbox360.

Will that change however, in the clip of the wolf, they cite past success such as "creators of walking dead" they have all this other series they did, yet citing the walk dead. They even created a DLC.

Do you think they will jack up the prices, or stay true to their fan base and keep it around same price as the walking dead

Comments

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited September 2013

I don't think they'll raise the price. Since the beginning, they've always kept the price between $25 and $40 a season. And, now that they're focused so much on consoles, I'm sure they'll keep the $25 price point that they started with Back to the Future. The Xbox 360 pretty much requires (at the moment at least) that they keep it at $5 per episode, since the next price point is $10 and I really can't see Telltale doubling the price, especially when that will make it sell for higher than they have ever sold any of their games.

This is especially the case, considering Fables isn't as big of a license as The Walking Dead. They want to repeat their success, and a 100% price raise isn't going to do that.

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2013

Wasn't five bucks a pop already confirmed?

edit: Yes, it was.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/20/suspending-disbelief-in-the-wolf-among-us/

The Wolf Among Us is slated to launch either in late September or early October for Xbox 360, PS3, Mac and PC. Five episodes will be available in total, priced at $5 each. Season pass options will present themselves on all platforms closer to launch.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/80745/the-wolf-among-us-season-begins-early-october-spans-five

The team is currently aiming for a late September and early October release on PC, Mac, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. Each episode will be available for $4.99, with Season Pass options available on every platform. And unlike The Walking Dead, even the Xbox 360 version will get a Season Pass as well.

• ArthurVArthurV Telltale Alumni

$4.99 per individual episode and season pass options have been confirmed.

• I think $5 is extremely reasonable. I wouldn't mind if they increased the price at all to be honest.

• As long as they keep their prices low, they will keep their customers. Some company's, not saying this one. They get a massive taste of success and start raising the prices, pretty soon the people were loyal, eager customers actually turn away. Since the walking dead was this company's major hit success.

I just wanted to confirmed, they will not jack up the prices on their future models.

Hero1 posted: »

I think $5 is extremely reasonable. I wouldn't mind if they increased the price at all to be honest.

• TTG have obviously hit a sweet spot with their episode and pricing structure. $5 (or £5 or €5) is a reasonable price to pay for 2-3 hours of gameplay; it's on par with renting a movie, and certainly less than most full games retail when you take into account the cost of the whole season. Part of the appeal of the episodic model is that you can give the game a go without committing significant money. If the game is good enough it'll convert into a season pass sale.

As long as TTG continue to produce excellent games, there's no reason why the current model can't continue to work. I'd only expect to see prices increase if we suddenly start getting longer seasons (in which case the single episode cost shouldn't change), longer episodes, or just inflationary increases -- in this case I wouldn't expect prices to increase significantly anyway.

fusedmass posted: »

As long as they keep their prices low, they will keep their customers. Some company's, not saying this one. They get a massive taste of succes

• I agree.

Its just some corporations hit a success and try to double their money. They end up driving away would be customers. Take for example. Neverwinter a MMO. It's charging insane prices. (40 dollars for a virtual mount) etc. It frustrated me to be quite honest. When thriving for success and some obtain it. They start to jack up the prices and that is betryal to the loyal customer base who bought their games when they were not such a massive success.

Tell Tale Games has adopted a very successful feature with Moral Choice. I'm told The Wolf Among us will be similar to walking dead and greater outcomes on the choices you make. If they keep making this for every game. They will have a huge success on their hands. I just hope they continue with moral choice, despite the game.

I will play it.

xyphic posted: »

TTG have obviously hit a sweet spot with their episode and pricing structure. $5 (or £5 or €5) is a reasonable price to pay for 2-3 hours of g

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited September 2013

fusedmass wrote:

Tell Tale Games has adopted a very successful feature with Moral Choice. I'm told The Wolf Among us will be similar to walking dead and greater outcomes on the choices you make. If they keep making this for every game. They will have a huge success on their hands. I just hope they continue with moral choice, despite the game.

It definitely does open up the possibility for some interesting ideas for the future. Although, some licenses wouldn't really work with a moral choice system. Sam & Max, for example, have never been about moral choices. The joy of these characters is that they do things without thinking first, saving the day but causing mayhem around them while they do it.

But, there's no reason they couldn't have the Fables system of choosing to go one place and then having the action play out at the other without you. It could actually be fun for that license, since they could play up the Sam & Max destruction factor, showing more destruction in the area that Sam & Max "helped" than in the area that they kept away from. :)

I agree. Its just some corporations hit a success and try to double their money. They end up driving away would be customers. Take for exam

• wait theres a game out there called "walking the dead?" so you have zombie pets? joking but the thread name has WTD instead of TWD. cheerio. :)

• I'm surprised it took people days to figure out that I wrote subject so quickly. I misquote one of the letters. Cheerio to you, for discovering that four days after I posted the thread.

multicolt posted: »

wait theres a game out there called "walking the dead?" so you have zombie pets? joking but the thread name has WTD instead of TWD. cheerio.

• lol

I'm surprised it took people days to figure out that I wrote subject so quickly. I misquote one of the letters. Cheerio to you, for discovering that four days after I posted the thread.

• $5 bucks is a good price video games are already expensive

• puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni

I didn't even notice 'til they called it out! Fixed it for ya. ;)

I'm surprised it took people days to figure out that I wrote subject so quickly. I misquote one of the letters. Cheerio to you, for discovering that four days after I posted the thread.

• Thanks Puzzlebox.

puzzlebox posted: »

I didn't even notice 'til they called it out! Fixed it for ya.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.