Product available on Steam, but not yet available on TT service?

edited October 2013 in The Wolf Among Us

Just wondering why the Wolf Among Us is available to those who want to buy on Steam this moment, where as us with preorders through TT games (I got mine through GreenMan Gaming) still are unable to download and play.

Is there any option for us to receive Steam keys for this? I waited up past midnight last night to play, and I still cannot download half way into today.

Please help TT!

Comments

• I managed to download it via there extremely slow site and cant even log into the game I hope they give steam keys as im not impressed

• Why does Telltale do this? If they aren't up to standard for their consumers they need to stop selling their games through their stores. I hope this isn't an always online DRM type game, and if it is I would like it gone.

• Same. Why is there a server error. Should be working by now...

• edited October 2013

Why would they give you a Steam key? They have no reason to. And your not impressed? Already? It's just come out. Give them chance to iron out the issues first before you throw your toys out of the pram.

antonyfrn posted: »

I managed to download it via there extremely slow site and cant even log into the game I hope they give steam keys as im not impressed

• My account page still just says coming soon...

• Keys will probably not be issued until these issues spill over into another day. Just give it time.

antonyfrn posted: »

I managed to download it via there extremely slow site and cant even log into the game I hope they give steam keys as im not impressed

• I downloaded the installer, but now I always get a Login Error - Can't communicate with Telltale Servers.

• I went to My Games, and there was a DL button. Got it installed, but you have to log into the TTG servers to get past title screen. Why is it so difficult to mail out keys. I honestly only bought from GMG to save money. I wouldn't have even signed up here if I had. Shame on me, I should've gotten it through steam, prolly would be playing right now. -_-

My account page still just says coming soon...

• Chill your beans folks.

Steam uses a different platform to TellTale, hence why it's available there and not here. It's quite obvious that upon a launch day, there will be issues. I don't have the game via Steam, I bought it at Greenmangaming but rather than chewing out TellTale, I will just wait. Then again I have common sense to know that there will be issues on launch day

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Since the download was only available for a short time, it is possible that it was only available by accident, and was pulled again, because the authentication servers were not ready yet.
    I am sure they are working on getting it out to us as quickly as possible.

• Sounds like a reasonable explanation, thanks for the heads up.

DjNDB posted: »

Since the download was only available for a short time, it is possible that it was only available by accident, and was pulled again, because t

• it's a drag for sure. on the otherside, pre-ordering here afforded a discount, a dvd, and hopefully, if the 400 days is anything to go by, added content will be free down the line.

• puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni

@DjNDB has the right of it. :)

We hit the go button a little prematurely this morning, and for a period of about 10 minutes people were able to download something that's not the final build. Anyone who got that file should uninstall it and delete the download - we'll have a fresh, working download later this afternoon (US west coast time). Thanks so much for your patience, folks!

Since the download was only available for a short time, it is possible that it was only available by accident, and was pulled again, because t

• I thought it a given that code would work on Steam too.
    I really wanted to play it on release too.
    Somewhat sad pants now too.
    How soon is now?
    :/
    Will definetly buy from Steam in the future.

• While I can appreciate that things can go wrong, it seems to happen with every launch. People who buy direct from Telltale can't play while those who buy on Steam can mostly run the game.

• Same for me. TTG should give us steam keys, because it's still the same game, we paid for that.

KaiHiryuu posted: »

I went to My Games, and there was a DL button. Got it installed, but you have to log into the TTG servers to get past title screen. Why is it

• Its not like telltale didn't know the launch was going to happen! Its just awful that it does wrong every single time, and who suffer are the most loyal customers, the ones who buy direct from them.

• They did something similar with TWD when it's launch flopped.

GavinUK86 posted: »

Why would they give you a Steam key? They have no reason to. And your not impressed? Already? It's just come out. Give them chance to iron out the issues first before you throw your toys out of the pram.

• edited October 2013

Yeah, it's ridiculous even from the business side of things.

Surely there should be SOME perks for buying it straight from the site? The games are inferior to steam just by the lack of steamworks and if they don't work, people are gonna use steam, and the devs will lose more money.

While I can appreciate that things can go wrong, it seems to happen with every launch. People who buy direct from Telltale can't play while those who buy on Steam can mostly run the game.

• Totally this... ^

While I can appreciate that things can go wrong, it seems to happen with every launch. People who buy direct from Telltale can't play while those who buy on Steam can mostly run the game.

• I buy from Telltale to support them (and to pay dollars instead of euros), but I actually secretly wish for Steam keys, especially when something like this happens.

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2013

Surely there should be SOME perks for buying it straight from the site?

...like a game DVD plus extras at the end of the Season, perhaps? Yeah, that would be great.

Latenius posted: »

Yeah, it's ridiculous even from the business side of things. Surely there should be SOME perks for buying it straight from the site? The ga

• Will there be any issues with the current download? I'm glad I saw this before launching the game.

puzzlebox posted: »

@DjNDB has the right of it. We hit the go button a little prematurely this morning, and for a period of about 10 minutes people were able

• There is. The dvd release when all the episodes are out.

Yeah, it's ridiculous even from the business side of things. Surely there should be SOME perks for buying it straight from the site? The ga

edited October 2013

Yup, because of server problems. The Telltale build could not go up on release day with TWD episode 1. So they made the decision to give out Steam keys.

But today, TWaU episode 1 WILL go up in the Telltale Store. It will not even be 'late' by any definition. Just a bit later than Steam.

Cronemp posted: »

They did something similar with TWD when it's launch flopped.

• edited October 2013

Well, All I can say is I wish I was playing but I trust Telltale will have it up soonish so :)

If not we can always go on a murderous hatred fueled pitchfork rally
    Alt text

But surely it would never come to that! whistles innocently :P

• edited October 2013
    • Redacted -
  • you would of at least thought TT would have it up before steam.

edited October 2013

What obviously didn't work for episode 1 is not out of the question for no less than four remaining episodes.

you would of at least thought TT would have it up before steam.

• I bought through TT website assuming things would be the same time as Steam. (Figured I'd just buy from Steam later), but now, 2nd release in a row, I'm going to have to buy the game from Steam NOW if I want to play NOW. Man, come on Telltale! I love you guys, but this is silly.

• That happens with many games, Telltale is hardly the first and won't be the last game. I just hope its not one of those stupid attempting to stop pirates with something that will completely destroy legit players while pirates play unhindered like alot of games have been doing nowadays.

* Redacted -

• With the "cost of shipping" and whatever you mean?

Vainamoinen posted: »

Surely there should be SOME perks for buying it straight from the site? ...like a game DVD plus extras at the end of the Season, perhaps? Yeah, that would be great.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Both of you, please keep the forum guidelines in mind.
    We don't appreciate piracy discussions.

VictoryA posted: »

That happens with many games, Telltale is hardly the first and won't be the last game. I just hope its not one of those stupid attempting to s

• Yeah, that's what he's referring to. If you've bought the game already, then you'll just need to pay shipping on the DVD when it's released.

With the "cost of shipping" and whatever you mean?

• Duly noted

Both of you, please keep the forum guidelines in mind. We don't appreciate piracy discussions.

• Some days I honestly think I am the only human left with patience and tolerance. If that's the case then I seriously wish the future generations the best of luck

Yes it sucks that these things happen, yes it sucks that you (and most others including myself) that didn't buy on Steam have to wait because of an unexpected mishap, yes it sucks, it sucks and my god it sucks but berating the people that are trying to fix this isn't going to solve anything or get it fixed faster.

Rather than whining and complaining on here, I simply have played other games with friends...is it so hard to just wait until that email pops into your inbox that says you can download?

By the way, TellTale are not the only ones to have launch issues, TellTale are not the only ones that can't predict or look into the future in order to avoid unexpected issues. TellTale are not the only ones. So sit down, twiddle your thumbs and wait and no I don't care if telling the truth gains me dislikes and no, this issue will not stop me from buying from places like Greenmangaming because for the sake of waiting, I would rather buy my games cheaper.

• I agree with you in principle, but then again the internet is a great place for people to voice their frustrations, so...

Salvenius posted: »

Some days I honestly think I am the only human left with patience and tolerance. If that's the case then I seriously wish the future generatio

• These days I tend to go into launch day expecting to have to wait until the following day to be able to play. We're already enough hours ahead in the UK that any sort of delay pushes us into the late evening, so if we have to wait until afternoon Telltale's time, it's likely to be close to midnight before it's available. Add to that an hour of downloading, it's pretty certain that it'll be tomorrow now for us Europeans.

It doesn't particularly bother me that I have to wait a day to play, but this has happened enough times now that Telltale should really be prepared for it. If they can get a PC build ready for the Steam platform but not for their own, perhaps it's time to reconsider the distribution model.

LN3000 posted: »

I bought through TT website assuming things would be the same time as Steam. (Figured I'd just buy from Steam later), but now, 2nd release in

• What gets me is that it's not like Telltale has broken its word or anything. People pre-ordered with the promise that it would be out on the 11th. It's still the 11th, and its looking like we'll get it well before the 11th ends.

Salvenius posted: »

Some days I honestly think I am the only human left with patience and tolerance. If that's the case then I seriously wish the future generatio

• People are still waiting to play the game?..I beat the game. I played it for like an hour and half when It first came out. It sucks the people who bought directly from the game, ended up getting hurt the most. I can't wait for more people to beat it, so we can have a discussion on it.

This discussion has been closed.