Let's talk about Undertale for a minute?

13»

Comments

• I saw it coming from a mile away, but, that's just my opinion. If you feel that the story was great, I don't mind.

TheCatWolf posted: »

The story was too predictable (at least for me) Really? Everything in the ending of the pacifist run was surprising to me.

• No it's not. It's approaching steven universe fandom levels of bad. The tumblr fandom sent death threats to an artist for drawing a character a way they didn't like.

The fandom is way more mature, this game really seems to be targeted at older audiences.

• I know, I'm not talking about the story being great or not, I was just surprised cause I wasn't expecting the revelations in the ending of the pacifist run, that's all.

Gary-Oak posted: »

I saw it coming from a mile away, but, that's just my opinion. If you feel that the story was great, I don't mind.

• Please pick it up! It's a wonderful game with a beautiful story and great characters. :)

And pretty addictive game play and a memorable soundtrack. So it's pretty awesome overall. ;)

OzzyUK posted: »

I have been hearing good things about this game, the Steam winter sale starts today so ill probably pick it up.

• YUSSSS just don't kill ANYONE.

That is my advice for the best game play and ending. ;)

20 minutes in, loving it so far.

• the dialogue is just so funny and cute when i try to compliment them.

i still hate that flower from the beginning though.

YUSSSS just don't kill ANYONE. That is my advice for the best game play and ending.

• Hmm, can I really play the entire game without killing anyone? Will not killing lead to some bad things? :x

• This isn't a conventional RPG. You can play the entire game without killing anyone. It is really your choice, and the game will reflect your choices. The reason why people keep reminding others they don't have to kill anyone in Undertale is because we are used to the conventional RPG, when you often have to kill to progress, so the thought that you can solve the conflicts and end the fights in a different way might feel a little alien to many people. In Undertale, you can befriend the monsters instead of killing them. You won't gain experience and you won't level up if you don't kill, but you will make friends. It is a matter of deciding what you really want in the end.

prink34320 posted: »

Hmm, can I really play the entire game without killing anyone? Will not killing lead to some bad things? :x

• edited December 2015

Ok I'm really getting interested in this game now, aren't there Bosses? So you can befriend all of them too? Does anything bad happen if you don't Level Up? Does the game take different paths depending on whether you kill or not? :x I've always wanted not to kill anyone in games cause I just feel it's wrong so I'll hopefully be able to do that if I play Undertale, oh, is it difficult to befriend some enemies?

Abeille posted: »

This isn't a conventional RPG. You can play the entire game without killing anyone. It is really your choice, and the game will reflect your

• Sometimes you need to be patient, but yes, you can befriend the bosses (and I highly recommend you do so, they are the best).

prink34320 posted: »

Ok I'm really getting interested in this game now, aren't there Bosses? So you can befriend all of them too? Does anything bad happen if you

• edited December 2015

If anyone wants to hear a really good rendition of the main theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRw26sEEywY

• Awesome! Thanks for answering my question! I've been looking for more unique choice based games :3

Abeille posted: »

Sometimes you need to be patient, but yes, you can befriend the bosses (and I highly recommend you do so, they are the best).

• I don't want the thread to die, but anyway I recently heard of the game and I love it, It's pretty awesome, I might not be the biggest fan of it but it's great, I love how the game uses save and load as a part of the plot, and how it keeps breaking the fourth wall. It also has an awesome soundtrack! The fandom is not the best though...

Megalovania is my favorite boss theme, and Sans is also my favourite character! (he's pretty interesting, with how he knows about the player messing with the timelines, etc)

enter link description here

• I have absolutely zero contact with the fandom to be honest, so I wouldn't know. The only sub-reddit I go to is the one for my MMO of choice and I don't have a tumblr account. I used to go to the Steven Universe sub-reddit and it had a lot of cross-over Undertale stuff, but I stopped after a few things I strongly disagree with happened within the Steven Universe fandom (still love the show and I will keep watching it of course).

I don't know who my favourite character is! I love Sans, but also Undyne and Papyrus too. I can't pick one.

CarL_J posted: »

I don't want the thread to die, but anyway I recently heard of the game and I love it, It's pretty awesome, I might not be the biggest fan o

• edited January 2016

Posted this fanart of mine in another thread but felt like it didn't get much appreciation so I decided to post it here (while finally learning there was an actual Undertale thread too). I hope the majority of you enjoy it! The picture is of Undyne and Alphys playing some music together.

enter image description here

• I know Megalovania is technically suppose to be the player character's song. But I always associate it with Sans stop messing around and show the player exactly what kind a badass he is.

I don't want the thread to die, but anyway I recently heard of the game and I love it, It's pretty awesome, I might not be the biggest fan o

• After seeing a lot of Undertale fanart recently - I can say this is definitely, most assuredly one of the best out there. Like, damn.

Muffet commission I did for a client over on DeviantArt. He asked for my own rendition of Muffet. It was fun to draw an Undertale character like this.

• I didn't realise that at all until you said it actually... lol, it makes sense though. So Megalovania is Chara's theme song.. makes sense because you're the "villain" in that boss fight, and Sans is.. a hero I guess? And this is probably his theme song that never plays in the game:

enter link description here

I know Megalovania is technically suppose to be the player character's song. But I always associate it with Sans stop messing around and show the player exactly what kind a badass he is.

• edited January 2016

It sounds quite heroic and fits Sans much better. But as some other has commented in the comment section, it is too upbeat for a genocide run.

EDIT: And I am still completely baffled on how good the soundtrack is and how talented the developer must be to be able to write, compose and develop the game.

I didn't realise that at all until you said it actually... lol, it makes sense though. So Megalovania is Chara's theme song.. makes sense be

• Yep, but it's probably Sans' actual theme song, it fits him so much better.

EDIT: And I am still completely baffled on how good the soundtrack is and how talented the developer must be to be able to write, compose and develop the game.

Yeah it's unbelievable he did most of the game on his own, it's really a great game and was a huge surprise for me, didn't expect it to be THAT good

It sounds quite heroic and fits Sans much better. But as some other has commented in the comment section, it is too upbeat for a genocide ru

• edited April 2016

Thread: The Thread of Undertale (Nyeh heh heh)

Isn't Papyrus the greatest?

• [removed]

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• They tried to bully TheRPGMinx and a few other people off of YouTube for "playing the game wrong".

Not exactly more mature.

The fandom is way more mature, this game really seems to be targeted at older audiences.

• edited April 2016

I played it. It was on my worst games of 2015 list because I genuinely didn't enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, the music is fantastic, the game looks great and the characters are... interesting to say the least. But it's just not fun. It's one of those games you play specifically for the story. In every other RPG game I've played, it encourages you to have fun and grind and kill monsters and do awesome stuff. But if I try to have fun the game labels me as a gigantic asshat and gives me the worst possible ending (FOR PLAYING IT LIKE A BASIC FUCKING RPG), and even if I wanted to go the genocide route, you have to kill everything and everyone to do it and go through the most bullshit boss battles of all time to do so, and it especially sucks if you become fond of the characters in the game. It's not fun. It's like watching Shrek on broadway. That's not fun.

I won't deny that there are some pretty awesome things about the game, but it's just not fun in general. I personally think it'd work better as a novel or a manga series to capture what it is, a story.

(also a ton of the fan base are some of the worst people I've ever had discussions with.)

• edited April 2016

I think you missed something. Genocide run is not something you're supposed to enjoy by its design.

Also you kind of missed the point when you complain that the game punished you for killing or do you disagree with the game's message? Also the game makes it pretty obvious you shouldn't kill very early on.

It doesn't encourage you to grind, quite the opposite. I respect your opinion but don't blame the game when it isn't for you.

Sorry if I sound too harsh but I'm pretty biased towards the game.

Also there is tons of story even though the game is rather short. No idea how you missed that. Your "fun" in it is to socialize with the monsters and get that story. If you kill the monsters, the story goes away as it should be in this game.

Sorry if I sounded too harsh but I'm pretty biased towards this game. I don't mean to offend you but tell you my conflicting opinions.

I played it. It was on my worst games of 2015 list because I genuinely didn't enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, the music is fantastic, the game

• I think you missed something. Genocide run is not something you're supposed to enjoy by its design.

Also you kind of missed the point when you complain that the game punished you for killing or do you disagree with the game's message? Also the game makes it pretty obvious you shouldn't kill very early on.

It doesn't encourage you to grind, quite the opposite.

And that's exactly why I don't enjoy it. It's not fun, it's doesn't let me do basic RPG shit, and it thinks way too highly of itself and thinks it's such an important and one of a kind experience. It is just not my kind of game. I understand it's about the characters, and the story, and the lore, I get that. And all of those things are great, but the game literally is not fun for me, and I'd rather not play it. It's all very frustrating, and even though it's made clear I shouldn't kill, it's kind of hard to have fun when literally all I'm doing is walking 12 steps, getting into a battle with something I bet I'd have a fuckton of fun killing, and have to show "Mercy". That's frustrating to me.

I respect your opinion of this game completely, that is perfectly fine, but I just did not enjoy it. But I do see the good things about it.

Clord posted: »

I think you missed something. Genocide run is not something you're supposed to enjoy by its design. Also you kind of missed the point whe

• Watching Jacksepticeye play Undertale is liiiiffee.

• Soooo ... does anyone ship Sans and Toriel?

Watching Jacksepticeye play Undertale is liiiiffee.

• I completely understand. Being a JRPG vet myself, I had a lot of trouble adapting to Undertale's mechanics, nearly overlooking the mercy system. But it's in that mercy system that makes Undertale shine gameplaywise. One of the best experiences comes without killing anything, and the boss battles are that much tougher because you were unwilling to kill. And yeah, I also know what you mean by Undertale's hidden genocide hate, a friend of mine had that happen, and screwed up her game. However, Undertale isn't your average RPG, and that's evident from the get-go. If you searched for clues at the game's beginning, the game even tells you that you shouldn't kill anything. And that's why I absolutely love it. The game, though more difficult on pacifist, grants a much better experience for players, leaving all the choices up to you.
    I think a good analogy would be in the Black Ops II campaign (spoilers if you haven't played, but the game's 4 years old). Anyway, in one mission, you're given the choice to shoot the villain with a bag over his face either in the head or the leg. Pretty point blank, huh? But if you'd searched a previous mission and become a button mashing pro, you'd have doubts about who the man under the bag was. It's things like this in gaming, and especially Undertale that rewards the player with nicer content because you went out of your way to find these things.

I played it. It was on my worst games of 2015 list because I genuinely didn't enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, the music is fantastic, the game

Sign in to comment in this discussion.