The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• Yeah, it's been free on all platforms that support it.

AChicken posted: »

I'm pretty sure that's just Destiny 2 itself. -- Free to Play. I think it became free about a year ago?

• That's not right

• Finally back home from Louisville. Now I'm not one to usually brag (that's a fucking lie, I love to), but some awesome pictures I got from my two days at the Louder Than Life Festival.

My view on the very first day, had to sprint once the gates opened to get here. Got kicked in the head by crowd surfers, my ribs nearly broken due to being pushed up against the guardrail, and was almost crushed a couple of times, but it was worth it.

Heavy metal band Avatar (no, not the animated TV show Avatar, thought that would have been cool)

Metallica Day 1

Sabaton

Judas Priest

Metallica Day 2

• edited September 2021

Night School Studios is joining Netflix, becoming the first video game company to do so. More info can be found on their blog here. Details are vague, but it pretty much talks about how it's a new opportunity to tell the stories they want to tell and Netflix seems to be giving them some creative freedom in doing so. This does not impact Oxenfree II in anyway.

Hopefully this pans out better than the last time a video game company partnered up with Netflix.

EDIT: A CNet article with some more info

• Move is an attempt to make video games a part of Netflix subscriptions
    • Mentions and alluded to Night School working with "another studio" with Netflix for a Stranger Things game that was "marred by development drama." (wonder what that could have been, /s)
    • Netflix envisions pursuing console games for Xbox and Playstation (no Nintendo)
    • Netflix trying to grow beyond just tv and movie streaming, and remain the largest streaming platform, due to competition from other companies and streaming services.
    • View YouTube and games like Fortnite as a significant competitor due to the "massive amount of entertainment hours they command worldwide."
    • Netflix interest in video games also spurred by huge boom in video games thanks to Covid-19 pandemic. Video games are bigger market than movies and sports combined, as global market for it was $178 billion last year.
    • Amazon (woo woo) and Google have also announced similar moves with gaming companies to expand into this market. However, unlike those companies, Netflix would require you to subscribe to play their games, while they offer gaming services as standalone projects. So, with that said, if you like Night School Studios, you may want to be getting a Netflix subscription soon.
  • Wait, they're owned by Netflix now?

That's unexpected.

This is... interesting news, to say the least. I wonder how Netflix might plan to include Video Games on their platform.
    They'd have to stick to point-and-click games if dealing primarily with people with TV remotes. (Maybe that MCSM port Telltale made for them was good? Idk i still haven't tried it)

Depending on how this plays out, it could be a neat service to have on PlayStation, if they build up a good catalog of original (and if allowed, licensed) titles. We really need some sort of Game Pass program over here.

Night School Studios is joining Netflix, becoming the first video game company to do so. More info can be found on their blog here. Details

• Yes, Netflix owns Night School Studios now. Not sure how it could work. Could be that game is released, but it requires people to log into their Netflix account to play. Maybe it will be on Netflix’s page and will allow you to connect your controller/keyboard. I honestly don’t know, it’s something I’m sure Netflix is looking into and working out the kinks and creating the internal infrastructure to run it.

Wait, they're owned by Netflix now? That's unexpected. This is... interesting news, to say the least. I wonder how Netflix might plan

• Interesting. I wonder if they'll add a separate subscription for video games, or they'll bump up the price of main Netflix package (ugh).

Yes, Netflix owns Night School Studios now. Not sure how it could work. Could be that game is released, but it requires people to log into t

• edited September 2021

In a few weeks TFTBL turns 7 and TWAU turns 8 and The Walking Dead will soon be 10

• edited September 2021

You know, having actually seen the characters people would bring up when talking about ones from the game, the comparisons make a decent bit more sense now.

And ironically kinda makes me appreciate the characters from the games a bit more. While I still don't really get the hate for either, Kate is still definitely more fun/interesting/empathized than Lori and Shane spent most of the show being more sympathetic then more deserving of what he got near the end than David.

Still sorta get behind Rick more than Javier(again, besides maybe the end, where the Kenny comparison started to click), but then I never disliked the latter to begin with and both still fall into the Okay category.

• Yesterday I finally got my hands on an Xbox Series X, and physically, it doesn't take up a lot of room on my desk compared to my Xbox One X, it is still very much a pretty thicc boy, but obviously I'm saving room because I have it standing vertically.

The console runs very quietly, it's pitch quiet, I've yet to actually play a demanding game on it as I'm still in the process of downloading games for it, right now I'm trying to get my Telltale Games Collection installed.

With the console came a new controller, which I feel is a lot more sleek in design than the Xbox One controller. The one notable addition is the share button which, on the surface, looks like the only revision to the controller, but the triggers have a bumpy texture for grip, the surface of the controller feels more rough, bumpers and triggers aren't as curvy but more straight, I'm probably butchering the description but you get your hands on the controller and it'll make sense. It's effectively refining what was the perfect controller.

Something that astonished me was the loading times, I knew they'd be quick, but I did a test with The Walking Dead: The Final Season, and its splash screen appears for a second, if I'm being literal, it's probably just less than second, then the console proceeds to load into the title screen. Now I know that alone isn't the best test of loading times, I'll need to actually try and play a game and see how fast it loads in cutscenes and/or an environment, but it is something I noticed.

I won't be able to play it properly until next week or so as I've got a busy weekend ahead, but at the start of next week, I can expect several accessories for the Xbox to arrive. I bought myself a Play and Charge Kit for the new controller, it uses a USB-C Charger, I ordered a Venom LED stand, a dust protector for the top of the console and the vents at the back, and a plug-in fan that goes into the back of the console, I'm making sure this baby lasts as I spent a pretty penny on it.

Next on the agenda is picking up one of those Seagate 1TB Harddrives, the Series X is a 1TB console but about 210GB goes towards the system for UI and updates, so I've got 790GB to play with, which I'm fine with for now, but with the One X, I was constantly having to uninstall games to install others, it got very annoying. I will just use the Seagate harddrive for my beefy games like Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Gears 5, Red Dead Redemption II and Halo 5: Guardians.

The beauty behind the Seagate harddrive is, it utilizes the technology of the Xbox Series consoles to boost load times for games installed on the harddrive, I don't think there's any other harddrive for the Xbox Series consoles that can do that.

There's so much I'd like to get done for the console as I want it to be what gets me back into gaming, I've had so little time and motivation to play because of work, and October will only see me working even more as our schedule is hectic, but now that I've got what I've wanted for the past year, I can relax a bit and feel motivated to sit down and play games again.

I hope for everyone else on here that is awaiting the opportunity to jump into next-gen, that your opportunity comes soon, and that you enjoy it :smile:

• chris pratt as mario was a real shocker but personally I found keanu reeves being cast as baby yoda a bit more scream worthy

• Started playing Minecraft again and I forgot how spooky the game could be lol

• edited October 2021

• Already next week?

It's not a lake, it's a Sam Lake?? https://twitter.com/SamLakeRMD/status/1443986531186876425

• edited October 2021

Yeah, it's out on the 5th!

The texture work looks like it's improved quite a bit!

AronDracula posted: »

Already next week?

• May I ask what exactly Camp Camp is? Because I've technically known it was a thing for a couple of years now, but after one(now two) video that just popped up on my screen, I'm seriously questioning who it's for?

• Looking at restaurant reviews to see what I should eat for dinner. I see a negative review and it starts out with some good points then somehow devolves into straight up racism.

Sigh.

• Just sold my PS4 to a co-worker, who was wiling to buy it for $250. With that money, I ended up buying a few games as I'm growing a bit tired of the current games in my library. Was able to pick up:

• Ratchet and Clank (2016, as Rift Apart is also on my bucket list but I figured I'd start with this one and see how I like it, before spending $70)
    • Jedi: Fallen Order
    • Control
    • Oxenfree (already played on PC, but since I moved over completely to console, I got it again, only was about $5)
    • Hades
    • Mass Effect Legendary edition
    • Prey Mooncrash, DLC to the Prey video game

Almost went with Deathloop, but I'm going to hold off for a while and wait until the game goes on sale.

• Woo, I just got Jedi Fallen Order too (got a 1$ deal recently for 1 month of EA Play, so I can play it for the next ~26 days)

I'm still pretty early on in the game, but it looks like it's got potential as an open-ended, metroid-vania style Star Wars game. It's pretty dang hard too (though I'm currently playing it on Hard/Jedi Master difficulty). The first optional mini-boss is a real force to be reckoned with.

Ratchet and Clank

Aw darn, you must have missed the pandemic deal earlier this year. They gave the 2016 title away for free in March.

Just sold my PS4 to a co-worker, who was wiling to buy it for $250. With that money, I ended up buying a few games as I'm growing a bit tire

• I did, damn, that would have been nice. Ah well.

Woo, I just got Jedi Fallen Order too (got a 1$ deal recently for 1 month of EA Play, so I can play it for the next ~26 days) I'm still p

• The first optional mini-boss is a real force to be reckoned with.

On that difficulty level you'd better play things safe and make sure not to choke on your aspirations.

Woo, I just got Jedi Fallen Order too (got a 1$ deal recently for 1 month of EA Play, so I can play it for the next ~26 days) I'm still p

• So I finished the story mode of The Forest. I gotta say, I was shocked and confused at the same time. It feels like this whole game was inspired by Lost and Resident Evil. The whole story just goes full circle.

So the father finds his son dead in a laboratory underground, he fights that Megan girl who turns into a Saddler-like boss from RE4 and he uses her body for a sacrifice to save his son but failed due to the fact that sacrifice should use a live body in order to revive a person back from the dead. In order to do that, the father has to take a risk by bringing a plane down in the island, which is exactly how the game starts, and he has to find a living survivor from the plane to accomplish his goal. Then the father and son get out of the island (somehow), they go to a talk show, presenting how he survived the island, then the son all of the sudden starts to shake his body in pain in front of everyone. He passes out for a second, then his father holds his head and the son just wakes up like it's nothing. After showing the title of the game, the story skips a few years later, the son is all grown up and the game ends with him showing some things crawling through his body, making it feel like he was impregnanted with mutant festus (Like a chestburster in Alien). That was...something. Not sure if I like it or not. Overall, this game is fantastic for a sandbox survival horror game. I am sure there are still some stuff that I missed, I haven't even finished my base structure.

• Who else went on their social media and had this problem ?

• Yeah I couldn't access my Whatsapp and Facebook. There was an outage right?

Who else went on their social media and had this problem ?

• Yeah, I thought my Whatsapp was having problem. Now I know why. At least Discord is still in one piece.

Who else went on their social media and had this problem ?

• Control

Did you get the Standard or Ultimate edition? Cause I heard that Ultimate Edition is the only version of the game with PS5 upgrade.

Just sold my PS4 to a co-worker, who was wiling to buy it for $250. With that money, I ended up buying a few games as I'm growing a bit tire

• Best Buy sent me Alan Wake a day early. Neat. Never had that happen to me before.

Not sure if I'll play much of it at the moment -- other games have occupied my time since it was announced :grimace: -- but I'll check it out tonight to see what it's like pre-Day 1 patch.

In other news...

I took my first headshots today! Yay!
    (those pictures you print out to send in for auditions and casting agents)

Had a great session with the photographer today, despite the very light rain outside. Should be getting his best shots later, then I can whittle it down to my favourites, and he'll send me 3 of them back.

• Ultimate, so if that's the case, then I got it with the PS5 upgrade

AronDracula posted: »

Control Did you get the Standard or Ultimate edition? Cause I heard that Ultimate Edition is the only version of the game with PS5 upgrade.

• edited October 2021

The first optional mini-boss is a real force to be reckoned with.

That frog kicked my butt several times as well on hard difficulty. However, it taught me the importance of parrying. Up until that boss I was just dodging and rolling around, which might not have been the most effective way of fighting. 😅

• Hades is such a great game. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, let alone complete all the achievements, but here we are. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of rogue likes (especially starting over and over again), but here even if you died, (which would happen a lot lel) it didn't feel that bad since you always unlocked something new, whether it was story progression, a new weapon/ability or pieces of dialogue. Add into that incredible voice acting, amazing music plus artstyle and tight gameplay and it's no wonder it won so many awards.

Anyway, I love that game. Would heartily recommend.

• Those games are usually not my style either, but I was talking to my former Ops Manager the other day, and he could not stop talking about it. So I’ll check it out when I get around to it. Right now, I’m on Jedi: Fallen Order.

Pipas posted: »

Hades is such a great game. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, let alone complete all the achievements, but here we are. Honestly,

• ...Crash...

...Crash...

• best star wars game aside from kotor 2 to ever come out

most fun lightsaber combat I've experienced yet plus it's a metroidvania so like????

• edited October 2021

Looks like all those "wow this game company's animations are so detailed, they should make a show" comments finally came true.

I know nothing about League of Legends, but this looks spectacular. Definitely gonna watch it when it's out.

lupinb0y posted: »

Jesus this looks absolutely gorgeous. This is literally every frame a painting. I'm not a fan of League of Legends but I'm really looking forward to this.

• edited October 2021

I know there's a few Horizon fans on here so I thought to share that Guerilla Games and Dark Horse Direct have teamed up to make a Horizon Forbidden West Aloy statue.

The statue is ⅙ scale, and is crafted by PureArts, a company well-known for making hyper-realistic and impressively detailed statues. The listing for the statue reads "wielding her iconic Hunter Bow and Spear, Aloy is at the ready to restore order and balance to the world! With every care and consideration put into the smallest detail, you can feel the movement from the flow of her hair and clothing down to the impending strike of her spear." There's no denying this thing is beautifully detailed and looks as if it's in motion - which is likely why it's on the pricier end.

The Horizon Forbidden West Aloy statute will cost you $399.99 (or $72/mo with a payment plan advertised on the site). If you're the kind of person who loves Horizon Zero Dawn, Aloy, and collectible figures, the price tag may not deter you in anyway. If that's the case, you should know the size of this impressive statue, in case you need to make room in one of your display cases. The Horizon Forbidden West Aloy statue is 12.25" D x 10.75" W x 11" tall and is attached to a base that measures 10.75" in diameter. The base will be hand-numbered - there's only 2000 available - and come with a certificate of authenticity.

The Horizon Forbidden West Aloy figure from Dark Horse is expected to ship out between August and October 2022 - well after Horizon Forbidden West is due to drop on PS4 and PS5 in February 2022.

Source of this information is:https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/theyre-only-making-2000-of-these-super-realistic-horizon-forbidden-west-aloy-statues/?__twitter_impression=true

Here's a link to the listing if anyone fancies ordering an Aloy statue: https://direct.darkhorse.com/collections/new-products/products/horizon-forbidden-west-aloy-statue?utm_medium=email&utm_source=darkhorse&utm_term=DARK+HORSE+DIRECT+EXPLORES+THE+FORBIDDEN+WEST+WITH+A+NEW+ALOY+STATUE&utm_content=DARK+HORSE+DIRECT+EXPLORES+THE+FORBIDDEN+WEST+WITH+A+NEW+ALOY+STATUE&utm_campaign=press_list_2020

• I know I’ve talked a bit about the festival I just got back from, this is the last thing I’ll mention about it, and it has nothing to do with me personally, but the incredible luck and badassitude of Richie Faulkner.

Heavy metal legends Judas Priest were doing a US tour celebrating 50 years as a band, and one of the stops was in Louisville, KY. They were only playing about an hour long set as they were the band before the headliners, Metallica. The band wraps up with an incredible performance of their classic Painkiller, fans (myself included) are cheering and screaming, and the band leaves the stage. The next day, it’s reported that they have to cancel the rest of the tour as guitarist Richie Faulkner was rushed to the hospital after having a heart attack after the show and underwent 10 hour emergency open heart surgery that lasted the entire night.

Today, we got more info. It wasn’t after the show, it was during the performance of Painkiller, and it wasn’t a heart attack. What Faulkner suffered was an aortic aneurysm and aortic dissection. His heart practically exploded in the middle of the final song of the night, blood pouring into his chest cavity. Watching the video above, you can almost see it happen in real time. To make things even more incredible, most people who suffer this usually don’t make it to the hospital alive, it can kill people on the spot. Not only did he survive, but managed to finish playing the rest of the song and concert as he was close to death and in incredible amounts of pain. That is quite literally the definition of badass right there.

Faulkner was released from the hospital today, is in good spirits, and is on the road to recovery. Mr. Faulkner, I pray for a speedy recovery, and we’re all happy to see you alive and well.

• Welp, Dana Terrace the creator of The Owl House came out to say that the show was cancelled before the first season even finished airing, because a single executive said during conversations that were made without her, that the show didn't fit the Disney brand due to its serialised nature and the lack of a child entry point. Or at least that was what she was told when she first heard the news.

• the lack of a child entry point.

There it is again.
    Cartoon Network said the same thing about Infinity Train.

Now, I've seen the dark seasons of IT, but I'm not too familiar with Owl House outside of a few clips on Youtube? Is it dark? I haven't heard the show associated with those themes, so this surprises me. Or it's just executives being out-of-touch as usual.
    Also... serialized formats don't fit the Disney brand? Serialized shows are all the rage, and have been for a long time now! What's the big idea, Mickey?

lupinb0y posted: »

Welp, Dana Terrace the creator of The Owl House came out to say that the show was cancelled before the first season even finished airing, be

Sign in to comment in this discussion.