The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• edited October 2021

Now, I've seen the dark seasons of IT, but I'm not too familiar with Owl House outside of a few clips on Youtube? Is it dark? I haven't heard the show associated with those themes, so this surprises me. Or it's just executives being out-of-touch as usual.

It definitely has its dark and dramatic moments but there hasn't been anything as of yet that has warranted any kind of content warning, unlike its sister show Amphibia which actually did end up getting one for one of its episodes.

Also... serialized formats don't fit the Disney brand? Serialized shows are all the rage, and have been for a long time now! What's the big idea, Mickey?

It's especially strange since their biggest animate shows the past few years such as Gravity Falls, Star Vs The Forces of Evil, and even Ducktales have been very heavy on story and character development. Either that one executive is woefully out of touch or that's the excuse they gave and the real reason is because of the shows progressiveness.

AChicken posted: »

the lack of a child entry point. There it is again. Cartoon Network said the same thing about Infinity Train. Now, I've see

• Yeah, it's kind of concerning that this seems to be a trend with serialized animated shows aimed at kids, especially since the shows are so good.

lupinb0y posted: »

Welp, Dana Terrace the creator of The Owl House came out to say that the show was cancelled before the first season even finished airing, be

• Reviewers: Far Cry 6 turns out to be another entry with copy and pasted FC3 formula

Me: Is being surprised supposed to be an option here?

• Not trying to stir the pot, but with that, can the fanbase please stop saying the reason it's getting cancelled is due to the LGBT stuff? I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the overall decision (though I do disagree with the reasoning, I think it's really stupid and serialized shows have proven to be incredibly successful for other networks and it actually makes me hope it gets picked up somewhere else just to prove Disney wrong), and my opinion of TOH is still that it's just a meh show. But, I'm tired of the fanbase saying the only reason it's not getting more seasons is because it has a lesbian romance or non-binary characters and that's why Disney isn't renewing it. As I already knew, it's clear that that's not the case, so can the people claiming homophobia stop with this argument?

Welp, Dana Terrace the creator of The Owl House came out to say that the show was cancelled before the first season even finished airing, be

• It can get dark at times from what I've seen (I think Dana is on record saying Season 2 was going to be darker and more in line with her original vision of the show), but it's not like "Aang getting murdered on screen" dark. So I guess it's a mix of both out of touch execs and some darker aspects.

the lack of a child entry point. There it is again. Cartoon Network said the same thing about Infinity Train. Now, I've see

• edited October 2021

I mean it wouldn't exactly be particularly out of character for networks. There have been multiple horror stories from people who work in animation about having to fight tooth and nail for any form of queer representation. Most famous example probably being Steven Universe which straight up got cancelled by Cartoon Network for Rebecca Sugar pushing for a same sex wedding. Fortunately it did end up being brought back after the positive reception of the episode itself.

The fact that the show is being cancelled for being serialised despite Disney themselves having had multiple examples of them doing exactly that in the past and even present with great success does make the reasoning she was given odd. However, Dana Terrace in her statement says that she doesn't want to imply anything about the people she's working with in regards to that so who knows. It could potentially be that, but at the moment the official reason is just some out of touch executive with too much sway.

makes me hope it gets picked up somewhere else just to prove Disney wrong

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure Disney owns the rights to Owl House in its entirety. I don't think it's very common for creators to retain the rights to their projects. I know there have even been a few cases of people pitching a series to networks, being given the chance to air the pilot either online or on television and then having the show not be greenlit and losing the rights entirely. Networks tend to want to keep things under their umbrella, even if they're only used once and never touched again because it's preferable to potentially giving another network something that might end up becoming popular.

Not trying to stir the pot, but with that, can the fanbase please stop saying the reason it's getting cancelled is due to the LGBT stuff? I'

• edited October 2021

This is true but...

It has a killer chicken and I am now suddenly interested. :p

I don't play Far Cry... But this has caught my attention... Also Giancarlo Esposito but let's focus on the real big stuff here.

AronDracula posted: »

Reviewers: Far Cry 6 turns out to be another entry with copy and pasted FC3 formula Me: Is being surprised supposed to be an option here?

• Randy Pitchford is stepping down as the President of Gearbox. He's still the CEO but he'll be shifting his focus from games to movies and television instead.

• YES

Just YES
    (wait, how does one still be the CEO and not the president? Kinda sounds like he'll have some very similar power in his new position)

Randy Pitchford is stepping down as the President of Gearbox. He's still the CEO but he'll be shifting his focus from games to movies and television instead.

• On the discourse of "children's cartoons" outgrowing the intended audience:

Executives should really just accept (or inform themselves) that plenty of new animated series have a lot more depth to them, cover mature topics, and can still be digestible to young audiences.

Or, if it does scarily skirt the line of what would be appropriate, they should probably re-evaluate what the intended demographic is and, uh, I don't know, maybe have a better plan in place to shift it to an older-teens/tweens model? Plenty of these shows are big hits with older audiences, and yet somehow it's not given a chance because of the belief that the money is only with the droves of kids that'll watch it.
    That's just sad.

• Executives should really just accept (or inform themselves) that plenty of new animated series have a lot more depth to them, cover mature topics, and can still be digestible to young audiences.

It's really weird seeing how executives treat cartoons nowadays since it's not like older cartoons never contained any depth to them. Samurai Jack was a pretty violent, story driven show with minimal dialogue, Courage the Cowardly Dog was just a straight up horror show that at times delved into mature subject matter, and Static Shock had a number of episodes focused entirely around social issues including racism and gun violence. Freakin' Captain Planet had an episode about drug addiction that straight up had a kid die on screen.

Plenty of these shows are big hits with older audiences, and yet somehow it's not given a chance because of the belief that the money is only with the droves of kids that'll watch it.

And it's especially frustrating when there isn't really anything fans can do to help support these shows since there's little to no merchandise available for purchase except maybe a Funko Pop if you're lucky.

On the discourse of "children's cartoons" outgrowing the intended audience: Executives should really just accept (or inform themselves) t

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited October 2021

It's really weird seeing how executives treat cartoons nowadays since it's not like older cartoons never contained any depth to them. Samurai Jack was a pretty violent, story driven show with minimal dialogue, Courage the Cowardly Dog was just a straight up horror show that at times delved into mature subject matter, and Static Shock had a number of episodes focused entirely around social issues including racism and gun violence. Freakin' Captain Planet had an episode about drug addiction that straight up had a kid die on screen.

I have to wonder if they're wondered that lowered attention scans because of social media etc. means that shows that require too much thinking are bad. Executives always seem to be a little clueless, and I wouldn't be surprised if they thought this way.

Executives should really just accept (or inform themselves) that plenty of new animated series have a lot more depth to them, cover mature t

• edited October 2021

I could see that being the case, but I feel like part of the blame has to go to shows like Spongebob and Teen Titans Go lol. Shows that just got insanely popular that produce a ton of merchandise. Not that I don't think either of these shows can be clever or funny as hell, but they're both very hyperactive shows, non-serialised shows that anyone can just leave on and enjoy. Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network have tried to recapture the same notoriety with varying degrees of success. Within the last few years Nickelodeon has, to their luck, managed to do that with The Loud House and Cartoon Network tried to do that with the Powerpuff Girls reboot and failed.

It's really weird seeing how executives treat cartoons nowadays since it's not like older cartoons never contained any depth to them. Samura

• edited October 2021

From what I've been able to gather from my research, Dana being at odds with Disney executives isn't anything new, including the horror or darker elements. This was actually something she fought hard with in regards to just getting the show greenlit, and even then, she had to compromise with them to tone it down for Season 1 just to get picked up. And from my understanding, she was clear from the beginning that this show was going to have LGBT representation in it, she didn't hide it, she was incredibly upfront about it, and Disney still gave the green light to go ahead with it. However, Season 2 comes around, it's closer to the original tone Dana had in mind, and Disney now changes its mind and decides to not renew for a full Season 3. So yeah, even if I personally disagree with the reasoning given, I just don't see the facts that say it was due to homophobia or because of the show's LGTB nature.

Looks like COVID played a role as well, according to Dana. Disney, like a lot of companies, hurt financially, and as a result, budgets were cut and episodes reduced to try and make up the cost, which really isn't all that shocking.

Since Amphibia was mentioned (going off what I've heard and seen, again, haven't watched it either), while the show is serialized to an extent, if the reasoning for TOH not getting renewed was due to darker elements and lack of child entry points, then I can see why Amphibia is getting renewed while TOH isn't, despite having pretty similar audience sizes and viewership numbers (which is something that I don't see get talked a lot about, I just don't think TOH is as profitable or as popular as some make it about to be, most episodes tend to be around .3-.4 million viewers, which is a small drop from when it first premiered when it was around .5-.6 million). Amphibia is generally more kid friendly, less scary and dark (creator I believe went to extra care to avoid having some scenes be too dark for children while still being appropriate for all ages and not too kid friendly), and due to its episode structures, can be turned on at various points during its run and find a relatively easy going episode where newcomers wouldn't be too lost. It's kind of like why The Great Divide for Avatar was constantly played on Nick, it was a filler episode that didn't advance the plot, it was a decent episode to introduce people to the show without being too plot focused.

While what you said is true about Dana not owning the rights and it now being Disney property, I wouldn't say it's impossible. There have been times where shows have been cancelled or picked up by other networks. Last Man Standing was cancelled on ABC and was picked up by Fox, Brooklyn 99 was cancelled by Fox and picked up by NBC, American Dad switched from Fox to TBS, and there are probably more examples as well. Hell, Disney has done it for other shows like Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir (I have no idea what I just typed, but it's a show apparently) and Doug. Is it likely, probably not, I don't think the show is profitable enough based on viewership counts, but I don't make those decisions and don't have all the data, so I wouldn't rule it out completely. And Dana seems really determined to keep the series going in some form. Avatar went on for years as comics before Avatar Studios was created, and I do believe Dana already confirmed a novel with an original story is in the works. Maybe Disney will find it better to continue the series that way, I don't know.

I mean it wouldn't exactly be particularly out of character for networks. There have been multiple horror stories from people who work in an

• edited October 2021

I know Dana Terrace talked about having to fight for representation early on during development and it wasn't until there was a change in leadership that she got the support she needed internally. Yeah in this case it seems more like just really really really bad timing, with the show being so story driven, with a majority of it being made at home, during the streaming wars, during a global pandemic.

Amphibia is generally more kid friendly, less scary and dark (creator I believe went to extra care to avoid having some scenes be too dark for children while still being appropriate for all ages and not too kid friendly), and due to its episode structures, can be turned on at various points during its run and find a relatively easy going episode where newcomers wouldn't be too lost.

With Amphibia it's definitely more kid friendly for the most part but the show did suffer a delay with its final episode like a day before it aired because of a specific scene the censors at Disney were worried might frighten younger viewers, despite the crew being given the go ahead 7 months prior. The episode did get released uncensored but it was given a disclaimer warning at the start warning of intense scenes. The show definitely starts off fairly episodic in its first season but season 2 is more narratively driven and newer viewers would struggle to understand what's going on. In this case from what I've heard and read, Amphibia was further in production than Owl House was when the pandemic hit so it didn't get the brunt of whatever is going on right now.

It's kind of like why The Great Divide for Avatar was constantly played on Nick, it was a filler episode that didn't advance the plot, it was a decent episode to introduce people to the show without being too plot focused.

I cannot count the number of times I'd seen this episode because of this.

While what you said is true about Dana not owning the rights and it now being Disney property, I wouldn't say it's impossible. There have been times where shows have been cancelled or picked up by other networks. Last Man Standing was cancelled on ABC and was picked up by Fox, Brooklyn 99 was cancelled by Fox and picked up by NBC, American Dad switched from Fox to TBS, and there are probably more examples as well. Hell, Disney has done it for other shows like Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir (I have no idea what I just typed, but it's a show apparently) and Doug.

Considering it's Disney, who tends to like keeping a chokehold on their properties, I doubt that this is likely. With Ladybug, I think Disney only has the publishing rights to it but don't actually own the OP itself. The show was created in France by studio Zagtoon and aired on different channels before Disney took over as publisher in the west and eventually other countries. As for Doug, Disney just straight up bought the rights for it after Nickelodeon passed on renewing it for another season.

I do believe Dana already confirmed a novel with an original story is in the works.

Oh that's pretty neat.

• edited October 2021

The show definitely starts off fairly episodic in its first season but season 2 is more narratively driven and newer viewers would struggle to understand what's going on.

That can be true, and I'll take your word for it, but if that is the case, then that means you have most, or at least a good chunk, of S1 that is deemed as easy access for viewers who just turn on the TV to watch something that can join in and follow along. Meanwhile, TOH may have some episodes like that, but not as much and most tie into a larger, grander story, even if the contribution is minimal. So when Disney Channel is looking to fill up a block of time when broadcasting shows, whether it be 1 hour, 2 hours, or whatever, across multiple days of the week, they're going to look at which shows would best fit that criteria. They probably have more freedom with Amphibia, where several episodes can often be shown as reruns, then The Owl House, where it might be the same handful of episodes. And then, you have a repeat of The Great Divide, where people grow sick and tired of the episode(s), and it doesn't get the viewers or fanbase to support it. From a creative stand point, it's very throttling, but from a business stand point, and that's exactly what Disney is, a business, it might make sense. And you or I may not like it, but ultimately, in order for the business to stay alive and also keep providing its service that people want it to perform, some sacrifices might have to be made for the larger picture down the road.

Now not every time they get it right, and it's up to the audience to determine with their wallets if this was the wrong move, and ultimately, that will make Disney capitulate. I know there was the whole "SaveTheOwlHouse" campaign where people wrote physical letters to Disney, that's not going to do anything though. If people want something to be done, then prove to them its a worthy investment. Buy the merchandise, rewatch the show on Disney+ or on reruns, find ways to spread the word and get more people into it. We live in an age of social media and connectivity that is unparalleled in human history, use it to your advantage. And I don't mean angry tweeting about how mad you are at Disney and accusing them of homophobia, but promoting the aspects of the show that won you over to a wider audience. To use Avatar again, it got incredibly popular again during the pandemic, and that prompted Nick to create an entire studio dedicated to more Avatar content. There was some really good community outreach from certain people that drove others to it, along with other factors. It's always felt like TOH fandom liked to be underground, that little niche show that belonged to certain people and had a shared camaraderie amongst its fans and those that knew about it. Sure it's gotten some mainstream attention, but it never really capitalized on it, and I think that's a big reason as well as to why it's not getting more seasons. I don't know, my opinion based on my observations, maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah in this case it seems more like just really really really bad timing, with the show being so story driven, with a majority of it being made at home, during the streaming wars, during a global pandemic.

Sometimes, that can just be the case too. As sucky as it is, it could just be the wrong people being in the right position at the wrong time. It can be external factors that neither party had control over like the pandemic. It's not exactly fair, but it's just how it is sometimes.

I know Dana Terrace talked about having to fight for representation early on during development and it wasn't until there was a change in le

• I didn't know you had a part in Far Cry 6. You're finally getting your big break my friend. Now don't mind me as I put several new locks on my door and start looking up firearm self defense classes.

This is true but... It has a killer chicken and I am now suddenly interested. I don't play Far Cry... But this has caught my attention... Also Giancarlo Esposito but let's focus on the real big stuff here.

• edited October 2021

I know there was the whole "SaveTheOwlHouse" campaign where people wrote physical letters to Disney, that's not going to do anything though.

I know Matt Braly, the creator of Amphibia has gone out and said that the company does actually take notice of fan mail and trends, even if they decide to do nothing by the end of the day. And yeah, watching on D+ whenever the episodes make it there helps as well.

Buy the merchandise

If only there were any that weren't only accessible to those in the US lol

The show definitely starts off fairly episodic in its first season but season 2 is more narratively driven and newer viewers would struggle

• This is actually real!!! This is how you keep us waiting for GTA 6, Rockstar. I hope it feels completely new compared to the originals.

• One of the oddly satisfying things about working in an Amazon warehouse is when I find something that I know about or that I already own.

Example, just today, I found an entire case of about 100 Avatar comics that needed to be stowed and put into our inventory.

• I mean, it can't be any worse than That 80's Show, right?

I'm willing to give it a shot since it will have some of the original people behind it. Ultimately, will have to see how it turns out. I loved That 70's Show, even if it did stutter and fall apart towards the end of its run. Now what to do about Hyde, considering all the shit with Danny Masterson.

• Resident Evil 7 becomes the best selling RE title of all time, surpassing both RE5 and 6.

• edited October 2021

Ha ha :D
    I think I'm so good at acting, even I don't recognize myself in that ad! Wow!

@AronDracula

This is actually real!!! This is how you keep us waiting for GTA 6, Rockstar. I hope it feels completely new compared to the originals.

This is pretty interesting especially since they're upping the quality on the graphics and giving new control schemes too.
    Actual effort from Rockstar towards a GTA re-release? Ooh

Though apparently they're removing the old PC versions from storefronts soon.
    I don't play GTA, but I think that's a bit sad from a preservation perspective.
    What if some old PC gamer wants to play with the blocky, original San Andreas?

I didn't know you had a part in Far Cry 6. You're finally getting your big break my friend. Now don't mind me as I put several new locks on my door and start looking up firearm self defense classes.

• I became an uncle now. My step-sister gave birth to her child 3 days ago.

• Congratulations

I became an uncle now. My step-sister gave birth to her child 3 days ago.

• edited October 2021

Dec 9, 2021 - You watch the entire Muppets musical section at the game awards as Wolf 2 continues to not be shown

• So I played and finished Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice for the first time. This game is.....eh. It is beautifully designed and it had a gorgeous atmosphere but it has a lot of flaws. I wasn't a fan of exposition all over the place, the combat is satisfying but also repetitive at the same time, Senua moves too slow even if you press the RUN button and I didn't care much for the story due to how overplayed the dialogue was. I'm glad I waited for a price drop so it wouldn't feel like a lot of money wasted.

I dunno, maybe this game just isn't for me. If you are a fan of Norse mythology, maybe give this one a shot. Don't buy it expecting it to be overflowed with content.

• Did you at least play with headphones, as the game is supposed to be played?

It's a whole experience hearing how they crafted the sounds that shift all around the player.

And yeah, it's a little indie game. Combat, puzzle solving. Maybe you went in with grander expectations

So I played and finished Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice for the first time. This game is.....eh. It is beautifully designed and it had a gorgeo

• edited October 2021

I didn't. I knew it was an indie game and my favorite one is Playdead's INSIDE but the thing that ruined Hellblade for me is exposition all over the place. I guess that stuff is just not for me.

Did you at least play with headphones, as the game is supposed to be played? It's a whole experience hearing how they crafted the sounds

• damn cant believe i've been on these forums for 7 years and 40 days to the date.

can't wait to spend my midlife crisis on these forums.

• You could always start having a quarter life crisis!

damn cant believe i've been on these forums for 7 years and 40 days to the date. can't wait to spend my midlife crisis on these forums.

• Real ones have an every day crisis

You could always start having a quarter life crisis!

• great idea!

oh GOD oh FUCK no i'm gonna DIE one dAY AAAAAAA--

You could always start having a quarter life crisis!

• 8 years

Wolf 2 really gonna release Oct. 11th 2023, huh?

OzzyUK posted: »

https://twitter.com/telltalegames/status/1447631568437067777

• Just sorta putting it out here that I go by they/them pronouns now.

• Wolf 2 really gonna release Oct. 11th 2023, huh?

That seems a bit optimistic, doesn't it?

Poogers555 posted: »

8 years Wolf 2 really gonna release Oct. 11th 2023, huh?

• Thanks for being comfortable enough to tell us this!

Just sorta putting it out here that I go by they/them pronouns now.

• Hey. That's not funny, pal.

Wolf 2 really gonna release Oct. 11th 2023, huh? That seems a bit optimistic, doesn't it?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.