Do you think the Whitehills would have had Asher killed eventually?

edited November 2015 in Game Of Thrones

Had the marriage gone through as planned, do you think Asher/Gwyn (even Forrester/Whitehills) would have eventually found peace and stopped the killing, or do you think Asher was going to be killed by the Whitehills eventually once he gave Gwyn a few heirs.

Also, the only reason this marriage happened was because Ludd knew the Forresters were masters at the ironwood craft thing, and the Whitehills weren't. Who's to say once the Whitehills managed to grasp how to handle the ironwood the way the Forresterd do, and Asher giving Gwyn heirs, that Ludd wasn't going to have him killed (even by "accident" or something). Granted, Gwyn loves Asher, and she heavily pushed for this marriage I'm sure.

Then again, I don't think Ludd would betray Gwyn (Gwyn would likely know it was her Father who had Asher killed), even moreso if Asher treated her right, and Gryff wouldn't risk going against his family by killing Asher. Gwyn would probably end up killing Gryff if he did something to Asher.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• edited November 2015

We don't really know Ludd that well to judge if he would betray Asher like that. But no, I don't think Ludd would kill Asher because he would be putting his daughter at risk.

• No way to know for sure, but It certainly wouldn't be out of character for Ludd to do so. Moreover, I don't think it in character for Asher to trust him.

Gwyn tried to bring peace between the houses even before Asher returned, so I don't think it was any special occasion of "true love", but rather just another opportunity to bring peace where she has failed before.

I highly doubt Gwyn would kill Gryff under any circumstance. Not in her character. All she did was stab Asher after he killed Gryff and tried to kill her father.

• No not at all. If they knew they were in charge there would be no reason to, whatsoever seeing as Gwyn wanted to marry him. They're behavior at the dinner was just a test to see if The Forresters had submitted.

• edited November 2015

Gwyn does love Asher, though. Heck, Asher and Gwyn almost started a war between the houses 4 years ago because they were in love. Gregor had to ship Asher across the narrow sea to avoid that (also giving him an excuse to get rid of Asher since Gregor had grown tired of his rebellious attitude in his teen years).

Granted, I'm sure she saw it as an opportunity to bring peace, but also to be married to her true love. Essentially trying to kill off two birds with one stone.

Also, if you called off the plan, and a soldier stabs you after killing Gryff, Gwyn saves you by killing the Whitehill solider hard. So, I don't know if I'd say it wouldn't be in her character.

almighty posted: »

No way to know for sure, but It certainly wouldn't be out of character for Ludd to do so. Moreover, I don't think it in character for Asher

• Two birds with one stone is an okay way to look at it, but again it wasn't solely her strong passion of "love" .

Yes, they had a thing 4 years ago. In the words of Asher "I may have loved Gwyn once, but.. this isn't real"

Killing an unnamed whitehill soldier is a far different story than killing a whitehill heir. However, I didn't know she kills anyone (determinant) to save Asher. Perhaps not as out of character as I thought, but still quite far-fetched imo.

RKOLegend1 posted: »

Gwyn does love Asher, though. Heck, Asher and Gwyn almost started a war between the houses 4 years ago because they were in love. Gregor had

• edited November 2015

Eh, I still think deep down that Asher loves Gwyn (and Gwyn the same for him). I think Asher said that more due to the current circumstances between the houses, and not because of his lack of love for her. Heck, the interactions and scenes with Gwyn prove as much.

If you notice, Eleana told Rodrik if he's marrying her because he loves her, or due to the circumstances happening and needing an army. Granted, way different scenarios because the Forresters and Glenmores weren't enemies for one, but my point remains.

And yeah, she not only kills him, but kills him hard. Try to find a playthrough of Asher going through with the marriage if you want.

almighty posted: »

Two birds with one stone is an okay way to look at it, but again it wasn't solely her strong passion of "love" . Yes, they had a thing 4

• No I don't think he would. Whether it would be true peace is debatible. Say what you will about Ludd, but courtesy and guest right is important to him.

• Ludd is many things but he does have some honor.

• edited November 2015

Huh, I always thought the opposite. The first thing he did after strolling in on Ethan was to gloat his father was dead, then go run and cry to daddy Bolton when he didn't get his way. What he does to Rodrik if you pick Asher as your determinant character is the definition of honorless.

Imo, he wouldn't even wait until the baby was born to kill Asher. About 5s after Gwyn misses her period Gryff would be bashing Asher's brains in while Ludd gloats.

Ludd is many things but he does have some honor.

• ^I think you meant what he does to Asher if you saved Rodrik in episode 5.

And agreed. Ludd may value guest right highly (even to the Forresters), but he pretty much has zero courtesy and honor.

RykaStar posted: »

Huh, I always thought the opposite. The first thing he did after strolling in on Ethan was to gloat his father was dead, then go run and cry

Sign in to comment in this discussion.