Romance with Sasha is forced and frustrating why no Fiona choice instead?

13»

Comments

• Well, for the talking to yourself part, you do that at the end of the game, it constantly goes back and forth, and I dont think anyone complained that it was awkward or strange, it actually flowed very nicely.

I agree with you, and I didn't mean that I founded any of those interections akward but I have seen people in this forum who do, that's what I was talking about.

Regarding my second point, the history doesn't have that many interactions between the main characters pre-time skip, I mean the only ones that come to mind are the beginning of episode 3(IF you trust Fiona) and the arrival at the Atlas facility in episode 2. For two characters to develope their relationship they have to spend time together (another reason why some people say the "I like someone else" option is a last minute add-on to appease people who ship Rhyona or other).

Poogers555 posted: »

Well, for the talking to yourself part, you do that at the end of the game, it constantly goes back and forth, and I dont think anyone compl

• Exactly!

@Anonymer And besides, it's not forced. It's determinant.

AronDracula posted: »

Telltale knew that it would be such a cliche and obvious. It didn't seem forced though. The game doesn't end up with Rhys and Sasha falling in love.

• Wow, you can't even share with me?

enter image description here

• I think if you looked like that in RL popcorn wouldn't be the only thing he would be sharing ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wow, you can't even share with me?

• Very well said.

Devika posted: »

The romance with Sasha was weird (for me) because I only see her as a friend, a really good one, maybe even as a little sister. And, yes, I

• it's determinant, but forced.

Exactly! @Anonymer And besides, it's not forced. It's determinant.

• edited June 2016

Um... sorry if I sound rude, but do you even know what determinant means?

Determinant = Not forced.

Anonymer posted: »

it's determinant, but forced.

• just because it's determinant, doesn't mean it's not forced

Wolfenus54 posted: »

Um... sorry if I sound rude, but do you even know what determinant means? Determinant = Not forced.

• edited June 2016

Um, that's what the word exactly means.

Determinant means that something's not forced.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

just because it's determinant, doesn't mean it's not forced

• Determinant as defined by merriam-webster

a square array of numbers bordered on the left and right by a vertical line and having a value equal to the algebraic sum of all possible products where the number of factors in each product is the same as the number of rows or columns, each factor in a given product is taken from a different row and column, and the sign of a product is positive or negative depending upon whether the number of permutations necessary to place the indices representing each factor's position in its row or column in the order of the natural numbers is odd or even

Um, that's what the word exactly means. Determinant means that something's not forced. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• enter image description here

Leluch123 posted: »

I think if you looked like that in RL popcorn wouldn't be the only thing he would be sharing ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• I think just Rhys's general character prefers sasha to Fiona and I don't really see Fiona being that interested in Rhys in that way. You can't really change a character your just playing as one

• what's the outcome of not having romance with shasha? as opposed to having one with her in episode 3?

Um, that's what the word exactly means. Determinant means that something's not forced. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Well, there is always the option to say that you and Sasha are friends, and the video you posted also shows that Rhyiona can happen, but it's just hidden.

Honestly, I don't even get why people still complain about this. Rhyiona and Rhysha can both happen.... But that kind of thing makes me wish that it shouldn't happen in the first place. From my experience, it looks like most people focus on Tales' romance instead of its story.

what's the outcome of not having romance with shasha? as opposed to having one with her in episode 3?

• agreed.let's just stop fighting & put this to a close.peace:)

Well, there is always the option to say that you and Sasha are friends, and the video you posted also shows that Rhyiona can happen, but it'

• edited June 2016

I see... there is really some emotional stuff going on, people who ship this couple, people who ship that couple... Actually, I do not think that what is scripted is forced on this very case. However, even not caring too much about couples, I like the idea that Rhys stays with Sasha. My Rhys will try to use Sasha as an advantage on Fiona while my Fiona will try to double cross him by also using Sasha. I would love to see a plot like this because, you know? My pretty little liars are not sharing a Vault at all.

• Here's my take: if Tales was a novel or a book, I'd have not as much a problem with Sasha being forced on Rhys and wouldn't even consider it being forced. But this is a video game that advertises player choice mattering. So if you're going to add romance to that set up, you have to have it that the character is at least given the options. And yes, the character's personality will limit certain choices, like in romance alone if a character is a lesbian there should be no choice to romance a man.

But I initially was open to the Rhysha ship. After Ep. 1 and 2, I liked her character and her interactions with Rhys. But Ep. 3 killed my liking of it because it kept forcing the two characters not just together when it wasn't necessary for the story but in scenarios that were desperately trying to have a romantic atmosphere. It was the writers saying you have freedom of choice but then grabbing your hand and leading you and shoving you into Sasha while singing "Can you feel the love tonight". Well then be honest and say that this ride is on tracks and won't go off of them. But when you pretend that I can steer how 2 characters handle a situation but really can't, that pisses me off. And I feel many Rhysha shippers ignore that, or don't care, purely because this didn't interfere with how they wanted to play the character. And if I wanted to be really cynical I could claim that some who became Rhysha shippers only did because of the bandwagon effect of shoving it in your face while not acknowledging other romantic alternatives.
    To have done it right, the writers could've tipped the balance in favor of romancing Sasha but give a lot more options that would cause no romance to happen or Rhyiona to happen or another romance to happen.

• honestly you cant say it was forced onto you but rhys is his own character that you control there are many non rysha lines you can use

• me: comes back to the thread after months of absence...sees people are still complaining about rhysha

also me: nice.

sings: one of these days, people will learn that rhys is not the player. and that telltale has never really made a choice based game, and that they're liars that just make fun stories with great characters. one day people will realize that the forced romance is around thirty minutes (and i'm being gracious) of a ten hour game. one day people will realize that this amazing game is about other things besides who wins rhys' weenie. ooooooooooone day.

also also me: grabs popcorn while scrolling through the responses.

• True. That kinda irritates me. Thankfully this is less likely to happen where we get a "go read the comic!" situation(I'm sure Fables is great read), in the sense that they must know we're here for what the original games have been lacking, and that we would very much like to continue Fiona and Rhys's story(ies) instead of see it used as a setup for title #3. Sorry it took me a couple weeks, I've just been thinking about this and also being just another person alive on this planet(it's pretty fun, lol!).

Could say the same about TWAU, but you can see how that's turned out.

• The crying shippers is the best thing ever.

enter image description here

DDbaby74 posted: »

me: comes back to the thread after months of absence...sees people are still complaining about rhysha also me: nice. sings: one of the

• 8months later are people are still salty of Rhysha, it was funny back then but just sad now. Smh.

• Well like I said earlier, we can influence how characters behave but we can't dictate who they are. Telltale meant for Rhys to be attracted to Sasha instead of anyone else, similar to how a lesbian character would only be attracted to a woman, it's a pre-determined preference. Yes you can treat her awfully and sour that relationship, but Telltale clearly wanted the player to know he is at least physically attracted to her and can potentially romance her to make the big feel-good moment when Sasha comes back to life matter more to both player characters, not just Fiona.

Also I think it's unfair to call everyone who shipped it after episode 3 basically sheep. If people didn't feel any chemistry between Rhys and Fiona until that point, there is no need for them to consider alternatives because they don't have a reason to. Most casual players just cared more about the humor and story than the romance anyways. It's a side plot, and people that don't invest in talking about it on the forums probably couldn't care less if they ended up with Sasha or Fiona.

Here's my take: if Tales was a novel or a book, I'd have not as much a problem with Sasha being forced on Rhys and wouldn't even consider it

• And here I was hoping this thread was slowly drifting away.

As if Tumblr itself doesn't make me embarssed to be a Rhyiona shipper enough.

• Well, it'll all be over soon...

I hope...

lottii-lu posted: »

And here I was hoping this thread was slowly drifting away. As if Tumblr itself doesn't make me embarssed to be a Rhyiona shipper enough.

• In a few months: "Romance between Bruce and Vicky is forced, we want catwoman..."
    I see a Rhyiona vs Rhysha 2.0

• Yes, I bring that up that character's personality limits potential of choices to an extent but again I say: Telltale makes it the point that player choice matters. There's a difference between allowing choice, but limiting some options, and spoon feeding you what the writers want so you end up wanting it too. If as Rhys, whose supposed to be Jack's biggest fan, I'm allowed to be a completely unlike that from the start or play the character TTG tells me Rhys is or flip between the two, why can't I have as much complexity when I interact with Sasha?

(As for the Sasha revive bit, I'll be honest and admit I viewed that part as super obvious cheese. Like when she sacrificed herself but she made it out of the vault, I was like "well they'll find a way to keep her alive" and I was right and rolling my eyes. Nothing against her character, just mediocrity from the writers not wanting to actually give consequences for actions within game)

When I say bandwagon effect, it's because in a way that's what it was. When you view something as inevitable you are more likely to support it and join the winning side, that's how we natural. And when did Rhysha base get a massive jump in popularity: after Ep. 3. So, I'm not doing some crazy twisting of logic when I make statements like that. Yes a lot of people are not biggest into romance in the story, but many of them too ended up with Rhysha ending.

Again I'll say it: I wouldn't care as much if this wasn't a video game with player choice supposedly mattering. But it is, so at the very least it irks me.

LoseMyHome posted: »

Well like I said earlier, we can influence how characters behave but we can't dictate who they are. Telltale meant for Rhys to be attracted

• edited June 2016

Going with what Telltale is setting up isn't necessarily bad. So more people had the Rhysha ending, so what? If telltale made it be very clear that you can romance Sasha OR Fiona throughout the entirety of the game, then that number would have definitely dropped because then even casual players could become more invested in the romance subplot with their own choices. But it is just a subplot that took up about 15% of the game and Telltale clearly had a direction in mind. As it is, Telltale most likely threw in the "I like somebody else" option because of the hullabaloo on the forums.

Yes the game is about choice, but as story writers telltale also needs to keep some possibilities limited to tell a coherent story. When we play as Lee we don't have a choice to protect Clementine, Lee just does. This game is advertised heavily with Rhys and Handsome Jack as the main source of conflict, so if course those interactions would be more varied in choice.Maybe if this game were advertised with romance I would agree with you, because then the romance matters a lot.

Even outside of the revival, story-wise and practically speaking it was better for Telltale for Rhys to romance Sasha than Fiona. They had already paralleled Sasha and Rhys with the whole "I hated where you come from but now that I can see it from your perspective maybe it's not so bad" theme, and also it's easier to keep consistent dialogue between a player character and NPC rather than a player character and player character. I'm not arguing that there was a spike in Rhysha shippers after episode 3, there was, because Telltale made these things more obvious and yes, did not provide alternatives for the reasons said above. That doesn't make them sheep though just because they didn't strongly prefer a romance to a non-romancable character.

Yes, I bring that up that character's personality limits potential of choices to an extent but again I say: Telltale makes it the point that

• Well for Walking Dead, the main plot is Lee protecting Clementine. Like, that is one of the overall goals of the game, protect Clem. Tales from the Borderlands was about two unlikely people stuck together for a common goal and to find the treasures of a vault. However, somewhere down the line it was decided that there should be a romance, and not one that obscure or leading, it was just in your face, oh hey whats up.

Honestly they probably should have never included any romance in the game because it started to derail from the central plot. And its almost strange how you just can't end Rhys and Sasha's "flirting" if you want to. I mean in episode 3, Vaughn can come up to Rhys and ask to talk to him, and you can straight up just say no, and just like that, the conversation about Rhys and Vaughn in college and how important he is to Rhys is just gone.

• I've only played episodes 1 and 2 right now, but I loved the interaction between Rhys and Sasha in episode 1. It was like, they got along so well. And the best relationships in my opinion are the ones where people are friends as well. Fiona's kind of an ice queen to everyone except her sister, and she seems to dislike Rhys. You can tell Sasha loves Rhys and Vaughn.

I like Sasha.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.